The Weekend Onionism: Raise Taxes on the Poor to Cut Taxes for the Rich

ProudProgressive 2012/02/26 14:20:21
Most people (Republican Congressmen notwithstanding) are familiar with "The Onion", a satirical website that creates almost believable fictional news articles as a means of ridiculing the actual nonsense in the real world of politics. But lately the Right Wing disconnect with reality has made it increasingly difficult to distinguish between the satirical fiction of The Onion and the not-funny fiction of "news" sources like Fox, Drudge, DailyCaller, WorldNetDaily and many of the other more popular site among the Right Wing. For decades the Right has pushed the fiction that giving more and more of America's wealth to the richest Americans will somehow provide a benefit to those of us who aren't the richest Americans. Despite the utter failure of this idea under Ronald Reagan, and the even deeper failure under George W. Bush, this nonsense remains a key plank in the Republican platform.

This is not the Onion. But it's almost impossible to tell any more.

Article excerpt follows:

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 by Ken

Last Monday in the comments to my post on Michelle Bachmann, it was suggested that liberals need to make a name up for the numerous times when Republicans make up outrageous solutions in response to some crisis which really does not exist. I suggested the term "Onionism" which was well received.

So I've decided to post at least once every weekend with a Republican Onionism. Let me take the liberty of expanding the definition of the term to mean any action taken by Republicans which could actually be written by an Onion writer and taken for parody by Onion readers. For example: New Hampshire Republicans proposing that any future legislation must cite language in the Magna Carta to justify said law could clearly be a hilarious write up for an Onion writer and is therefore qualified to be an Onionism. Any objections to said expanded definition may be registered in comments and will be duly noted.

This weekends Republican Onionism is courtesy the Republican party of Kansas. They are working to overhaul the states tax code, and anytime Republicans gather together in the name of overhaul, an Onionism is sure to follow. As always reforming the tax code means lowering taxes on the wealthy for Republicans. Of itself this is standard Republican dogma so there is no Onionism yet. The Onionism is the method by which they intend to pay for the wealthy tax cuts, which is by raising the tax burden of the states poorest citizens.

Republicans usually work against the interests of the poor by cutting programs and benefits. But Kansas Republicans have taken this to a whole ‘nutha level, by actually proposing to increase the tax burden on the states lowest income earners. Because who better to burden with extra income taxes than those who can least afford it, in order to give a break to those who need it least, from the conservative point of view.

To be fair, Kansas House Republicans have toned down the proposal sent by the governor who, naturally, is a Republican. Governor Sam Brownback wanted to up taxes on the poorest Kansans by $156.00 per year to pay for a tax cut for Kansas fat cats of $5200.00 per year. Republicans in the state house took mercy on the states poorest taxpayers, only increasing their annual tax burden by $72.00, in order to cut the bill for the wealthy by $1500.00.

Some writer at the Onion should gussy up this story a little because it would be a freaking hilarious write-up. Sadly however, this is real life and this hurts real people and is emblematic of the completely backwards way of looking at things by the modern day Republican.

Read More: http://allthingsdemocrat.com/2012/02/25/the-weeken...

• ken 2012/02/26 14:43:56
    ken
    +5
    I noticed my federal income taxes have gone up each of the last three years but my income has actually gone down. I'm what I would describe as lower middle-class at best. Can you explain how that could happen despite Obama's campaign promise not to raise taxes on folks in my income group?

• ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2012/03/27 08:14:36
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    That is illogical....
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/02/26 19:53:22
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +1
    How do you raise taxes on those who pay no federal income tax?
  • Angi 2012/02/26 17:18:23 (edited)
    Angi
    People find that things cost more, people paid less and wages frozen or you take a nose dive because you've been thrown on the scrap heap called redundancy. Mean while the rich prosper. Fairness a word fast disappearing from society.
  • tommyg ... Angi 2012/02/26 19:53:19
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    Fairness = redistribution

Didn't your mama teach you life isn't fair and that you have to earn your own way?
  • Angi tommyg ... 2012/02/27 15:21:48
    Angi
    No I meant fairness a word fast disappearing, because you now understand it has something else.
    My Mum did teach me that life isn't fair, but guess what I don't think it's something that I should just sit back and accept.
  • tommyg ... Angi 2012/02/27 15:30:15
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    Fair enough. Pony up your own money.

I'll spend mine with charities as I see fit.
  • Angi tommyg ... 2012/02/27 15:45:55
    Angi
    You do as you like.
    What does pony up your money mean?
  • tommyg ... Angi 2012/02/27 15:50:47
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    I'm sorry. It's American slang meaning "If you want it, pay for it yourself".
  • Angi tommyg ... 2012/02/27 16:04:50
    Angi
    Ok.
    But don't mind contributing to something fair.
  • tommyg ... Angi 2012/02/27 16:14:00
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    I don't mind either. But I chose when and where and to who.

To allow the gov to mandate it leads down a bad road.
  • Angi tommyg ... 2012/02/28 00:50:06
    Angi
    The system isn't fair if it was we neither would have to contribute to charities.
  • tommyg ... Angi 2012/02/28 02:29:56
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    That's what I'm saying. We should keep more of our money and give it to charities. Gov just mucks it up....and takes a big cut for themselves. They are inefficient as hell.
  • Angi tommyg ... 2012/02/28 23:23:44
    Angi
    I think Governments don't always have the right idea. Some times they get things right. But also you cannot depend on people just giving money to charities, because some wont.
  • tommyg ... Angi 2012/02/29 01:13:28
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    Isn't that their right?
  • Angi tommyg ... 2012/03/01 19:11:21
    Angi
    I guess so. But if it is their right to not contribute to charities, guess you can argue that is why we have taxes.
  • tommyg ... Angi 2012/03/01 19:28:53
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    So we have taxes based on something someone might NOT do?

Pretty crappy reason if you ask me.
  • Angi tommyg ... 2012/03/01 19:31:23
    Angi
    +1
    Well no one said taxes were fair, we know that for a definite fact. Some one told me yesterday that 160 billion is lost in taxes every year, world wide. I don't know if this is true but it is staggering. Well it is even more certain the tax system is "crappy" and unfair.
  • tommyg ... Angi 2012/03/01 19:37:05
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +1
    That is staggering....and I bet close to the real number. How do you lose that kind of money?

Like I said, gov is inefficient as hell.
  • Angi tommyg ... 2012/03/02 19:54:25
    Angi
    +1
    Well can agree with that.
  • tommyg ... Angi 2012/03/02 20:14:30
  • ken 2012/02/26 14:43:56
    ken
    +5
  • tea for... ken 2012/02/26 15:00:42
    tea for you
    +2
    didn't happen as your implying . What has changed ? Perhaps you sold something you are willing to share
  • Chief tea for... 2012/02/26 17:02:58
    Chief
    +2
    And you know more about Ken's personal situation than he does?
  • ken tea for... 2012/02/26 17:29:28
    ken
    +2
    It happened exactly as I described. Since Obama has been in office I've been working about half as many hours as before but my share of taxes have gone up. Simple as that.
  • tea for... ken 2012/02/26 20:39:10
    tea for you
    +2
    you must be the only one in America . You're so damn special
  • Chief 2012/02/26 14:22:53
    Chief
    +3
    I guess the phrase "paying your fair share" only applies to those on the higher end but not to those on the lower end.
  • tea for... Chief 2012/02/26 15:01:11
    tea for you
    +2
    What is poverty's fair share?
  • Chief tea for... 2012/02/26 17:03:03 (edited)
    Chief
    +2
    There are many who make way above the poverty rate that don't pay income taxes and aren't in the higher income end. If you would like and will acknowledge it, it can be proven using actual tax forms and real numbers.

2014/04/24 19:08:43