The War on Men

Jackie G - Poker Playing Patriot 2012/03/18 19:50:50

II am a woman, and I'm offended.

I am offended that, once again, parties in positions of power have decided to pretend that all women are cut from the same political cloth. I am offended, and alarmed, that religion is seen increasingly by many of those same parties not as a vibrant good in our democracy, but as a mere sideshow for nostalgic people or citizens in need of a crutch.

I am offended that the Catholic Church has been attacked as being anti-woman -- the same church in which strong women like Sister Elizabeth Ann Seton built a world-class education system for the poor in a less-than-welcoming environment. I am offended that my government would penalize religious women like Seton in the future, telling them they cannot be who they are called to be; telling them their consciences must be dictated by the state.

And I am deeply offended about what is being said about men. A few good men have stuck their necks out lately in defense of religious freedom in America, and they deserve to be thanked and defended as they counter a dedicated campaign of dishonesty, hysterics and even raw bigotry.

Reasonable women cannot remain silent as the secretary of state pretends that the U.S. under a President Santorum or Romney would be an oppressive state for women. Or as a New York Times columnist echoes her, insisting that good men protecting conscience rights are "cavemen," and that Republican men are trying to "wrestle American women back into chastity belts" in an "insane bout of mass misogyny." Or as Terry O'Neill, president of the National Organization for Women, calls the U.S. Catholic bishops "violently anti-woman."

This is miserable, insulting, desperate stuff. It's just not right. Women of reason cannot let it stand, and we're not.

Standing alongside men like Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York and Bishop William Lori of Connecticut are a cavalry of women, a new sisterhood that challenges the feminist establishment that has always appeared preoccupied with abortion. There are vocal women leading the opposition to the mandate, but they're often ignored by the left because we don't pass their ideological test. We include Sen. Kelly Ayotte, U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, former ambassador and Harvard professor Mary Ann Glendon, and radio talk-show host Laura Ingraham, along with doctors, lawyers, religious sisters and fresh young faces at the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty and elsewhere.

When you start to realize this, when you hear these women on social media and C-SPAN, you begin to realize that the "women's health" talk is really just a cynical political ploy to divide Americans in an election year.

Hillary Clinton warns that her political opponents "want to control how [women] act," and "even want to control the decisions we make about our own health and bodies." That's, of course, not what Rick Santorum -- to take one of the most prominent targets of the left's scorn -- wants to do. He might talk about the downsides of contraception in a far-reaching web interview, he might even do it when prompted on center stage, but he's not going to issue mandates to enforce his views. Ironically, it's only this White House that is demonstrating the heavy-handed mandating of mores, colliding with the freedom of conscience of Americans who might choose to live differently.

As the president accuses others of using religion as a bludgeon, he ought to reflect on the division he's created. And those who oppose the mandate ought to be as relentless as those waving a "war on women" banner in defense of it. The White House is counting on us to be demure, as they and their allies scare single women into voting Democrat in the November elections. Don't be. We're in a fight for a foundational principle, a first freedom, and the stakes are too high to give in to the cynical ploy that we're engaging in a "war on women."

This is a not a war on women, and it shouldn't become a war on men, either. This isn't a battle of the sexes, it's a fight for freedom as we've known it -- for the conscience rights we've known before this administration changed them with the stroke of a bureaucratic pen. And if we have a fighting chance to preserve the liberty we've enjoyed here as a beacon for those who suffer under real oppression, we had better get out of the cave that mandate supporters hoped we'd hide in and be clear and confident in what were preserving, together, for women AND men -- no matter what their faith.

Kathryn Lopez

Kathryn Lopez

Kathryn Jean Lopez, editor of National Review Online, writes a weekly column of conservative political and social commentary for Newspaper Enterprise Association.

• Batman 2012/03/29 01:25:06
    Batman
    +2
    I'm glad women are speaking out when the media tries to pigeon hole them into being liberal familyless slaves for a CEO
  • gracious43 2012/03/28 03:36:27
    gracious43
    +4
    I agree.

The very best thing for women are the profamily values supported by very few politicians, Republican or Democrat. The best husbands and protectors of women are decent, gentle men with sweet natures and the courage of giants. The government is the poorest of substitutes for these good men.
  • Jackie ... gracious43 2012/03/28 14:13:37
    +1
    I agree that the government is a poor substitute for a mate, parent, or care giver. Probably the worst we could possible select.
  • gracious43 Jackie ... 2012/03/28 14:22:16
    gracious43
    +1
    And let's put it this way. If men are such lousy providers and protectors of our bodies and souls, not to mention any potential children our union with them might create--why are we sleeping with them in the first place?
  • Jackie ... gracious43 2012/03/28 14:24:49
    +1
    LOL - good point
  • ehrhornp 2012/03/27 08:34:54
    ehrhornp
    What rot gut. Not all religions are criticized, just the ones that want to run and control your lives. I am sorry but I cannot feel much for a church that took hundreds of years to finally admit that Galileo was not evil. Perhaps in a couple of centuries they will realize that homosexuality is not a sin as it is built into the individual. Perhaps in a couple of centuries when the earth has 20 million people living on it that yes birth control would be a good idea. Pathetic that such women exist that would write such rot.
  • Jackie ... ehrhornp 2012/03/27 22:27:49
    +2
    We call the women who speak truth, such as this one, really smart.
  • ehrhornp Jackie ... 2012/03/27 22:30:09 (edited)
    ehrhornp
    We just disagree. Now if you want to see a woman who is smart and speaks the truth, read what the thinking woman says. Now she has some smarts.
  • Jackie ... ehrhornp 2012/03/27 22:41:04
    +1
    Nope, she is lost in the smog of the none existent 'war on women' - She may be brilliant, however, on this issue, lost in the meaningless rhetoric.
  • ehrhornp Jackie ... 2012/03/27 22:57:07
    ehrhornp
    Of course there is a war against women. Whe some idiot proposes that women have to be penetrated with a dildo ultra sound device, that is just nothing but a war on women. You being a woman are in favor of being told to do my the men in your life? Are you a Muslim? Just curious.
  • Jackie ... ehrhornp 2012/03/27 22:59:25
    +2
    Absurd - no war on women exists - ridiculous
  • gracious43 ehrhornp 2012/03/28 03:41:03
    gracious43
    +3
    "Pathetic that such women exist that would write such rot."

I think a man that denies a woman the right to exist because she disagrees with him to be very scary. That is a whole lot of hate, to think she doesn't have the right to exist. That is misogyny to the extreme.
  • ehrhornp gracious43 2012/03/28 04:32:16
    ehrhornp
    Well during the civil rights era there was a term Uncle Tom. Ever heard of it? Well this woman is a aunt Jane. (traitor to her gender) lol
  • gracious43 ehrhornp 2012/03/28 04:39:59 (edited)
    gracious43
    +2
    Let me just make this clear to you. I don't agree with you, and not just this issue, but many others. But it has never occurred to me that you don't have the right to exist. Nor has it occurred to me to accuse you of crimes of treason, or use any other language that would cause other people to hate or fear you.
  • ehrhornp gracious43 2012/03/28 04:56:27
    ehrhornp
    I have never said anyone does not have the right to exist. I will call it as I see it. Doesn't mean I want her existence eliminated. Perhaps you should read some comments directed at the more "liberal" members on this board. I admit I have gotten blunter since I have been here and this is due to comments from so called conservatives, who are not conservative, directed at me and others. I don't think I have been blocked by a liberal or a true conservative but I have been blocked by lots of phony conservatives.
  • gracious43 ehrhornp 2012/03/28 05:06:57
    gracious43
    +3
    I have been blocked by progressives, pagans and atheists. I find it ironic that the same people who claim that Christians supress the freedom of women to speak their minds, go out of their way to supress Christian women on SH.

But this is what you wrote, and it is frankly frightening that you would even think this way. Everyone has a right to exist, even people who disagree with us.

• ehrhornp gracious43 2012/03/28 05:16:37
    ehrhornp
    I don't understand your problem with what I wrote. No where did I write that someone does not have the right to exist. But that does not mean that their hypocrisy and going against their own self interst is not proper.
  • gracious43 ehrhornp 2012/03/28 05:28:17
    gracious43
    +1
    How do you think any woman who agrees with this woman will feel when they read what you wrote?

This is what your statement means to me:

"Pathetic that gracious43 exists, when she agrees with such rot."

Let me just make this clear one more time again. It has never occurred to me that it is pathetic that you exist, just because you don't agree with me.

A woman's best interest lies in having a decent husband. I have never heard of a husband who refused to pay for his wife's contraception methods. I have never heard of a man who would consider that it wasn't his obligation. The government is not going to be nearly as loving and protecting to a woman as a husband would be.

If a woman refuses to have a husband because she wants "sexual freedom" or whatever else she wants, that doesn't obligate me to serve as her husband. Being a 'big girl' means taking responsibility for one's own behavior, and paying the bills for one's own behavior. Demanding that adult women grow up and take some responsibility for their actions is not "treason" or "hypocrisy", or going "against their own self-interests".
  • ehrhornp gracious43 2012/03/28 17:39:48
    ehrhornp
    Well lets post the entire statement: What rot gut. Not all religions are criticized, just the ones that want to run and control your lives. I am sorry but I cannot feel much for a church that took hundreds of years to finally admit that Galileo was not evil. Perhaps in a couple of centuries they will realize that homosexuality is not a sin as it is built into the individual. Perhaps in a couple of centuries when the earth has 20 million people living on it that yes birth control would be a good idea. Pathetic that such women exist that would write such rot.

Shame you can't take the entire message in context. I stand by my statement. I think it is pathetic that anyone would write such rot. I am sorry you feel offended but I just don't support republican mandates for example that women who wish to have an abortion by made to have ultrasound. As I said, such rot should not be given any credibility.
  • gracious43 ehrhornp 2012/03/28 18:44:47
    gracious43
    +1
    Your context simply makes the statement even worse. You are stating that anyone who believes the bible shouldn't even exist. I believe that homosexuality is a sin because the bible says that it is a sin. So since I believe in the bible, you don't think I have a right to exist.

Of course you stand by your statement. You have said a shameful thing about Christians, but you are shameless. What will you do? Hold the cloaks of those who would stone me to death for my beliefs? Or would you as soon pick up the stones to heave at me too?
  • Jackie ... gracious43 2012/03/28 18:50:29
    +2
    You are trying to speak logic to a hater - they believe that others with a different opinion have no right to even exist (as he has stated several times) - I suspect you are wasting your breath - they hate damn near everyone; heck their radio station Air America failure proved they cannot even stand themselves. Unfortunate but just the way it is is with some. Hang in there
  • gracious43 Jackie ... 2012/03/28 19:09:09
    gracious43
    +1
    Well, they sure are scary. I've read some scary things coming from progressives. I actually copied a conversation by Daw and another one of Holy's friends that freedom of religious expression should be suspended because that would give people the right to call homosexuality a sin. Now ehrhornp is stating that we don't have the right to exist.
  • The Thinking Woman 2012/03/26 03:11:06
    The Thinking Woman
    +2

Enough said.
  • Jackie ... The Thi... 2012/03/26 06:57:57 (edited)
    +1
    my computer blocked your post, but thanks for stopping by

Well have seen your other comments so will assume it was trash - try reading an article before posting.
  • ✞Knight... Jackie ... 2012/03/29 02:03:21
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +1
    Accurate deduction. I am amazed at the ignorance of some people here on SH. I recommend ignoring their stupidity.

Thank you for posting a persuasive and heartfelt insight against the Liberal propaganda. Your honesty is commendable; I hope to see some of your future posts.
  • wicked soda boy 2012/03/21 18:16:45 (edited)
    wicked soda boy
    +1
    Excellent! National Review has some really great writers! on the other hand, NYT - once a great source of news and commentary, today not so much!
  • Jackie ... wicked ... 2012/03/21 18:24:38
    +1
    I thought so too
  • Wolfman 2012/03/21 16:37:34
    Wolfman
    +3
    Excellent post.
  • Jackie ... Wolfman 2012/03/21 16:41:18
    +1
    Thanks
  • hari 2012/03/18 23:52:12
    hari
    +3
    nice piece of perfect advice to HYPOCRITES & BEUROCRATES
  • Jackie ... hari 2012/03/19 01:22:48
    +2
    I thought so too
  • hari Jackie ... 2012/03/19 02:34:03
    hari
    +2
    Thanks Jackie
  • Mark In Irvine 2012/03/18 21:54:28
    Mark In Irvine
    +6
    A male-dominated congress tries to impose regulations on the health care women can receive? when the catholic church is engaged in non-religious activities (such as employing people in non religious jobs) it is a simple employer like any other and does not deserve any special exemptions from employment law on the specious ground that the first amendment protects religious freedom.
  • Jackie ... Mark In... 2012/03/19 01:21:36 (edited)
    +3
    Yeah, just toss the Constitution for an outstanding principle like free BC pills; great plan
  • Mark In... Jackie ... 2012/03/19 15:18:05
    Mark In Irvine
    +2
    see my posting: http://www.sodahead.com/unite... and then let's discuss this, mkay?
  • The Thi... Mark In... 2012/03/26 03:07:04
    The Thinking Woman
    +1
    tag
    Thank you for speaking the truth.
  • Mark In... The Thi... 2012/03/26 03:09:24
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    for people like you

for people like you
  • The Thi... Mark In... 2012/03/26 03:13:20
    The Thinking Woman
    +1
    And I am thankful for people like you. That stand for the truth and don't hide behind the robes of the christian faith. It is a shame that these republicans want to quieten women. I for one will not be silenced.
  • Mark In... The Thi... 2012/03/26 04:12:13
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    If G-d is a Christian, I believe that s/he would not try to do to women what the GOP is trying to do America's women.

awesome you are
  • The Thi... Mark In... 2012/03/26 05:30:50
    The Thinking Woman
    +1
    you are correct, the question I have is IF there is a god, why does he allow this by HIS so called people.
    Thank you, you are awesome too.

2014/10/02 04:38:23