The usurper is at it again. What do all you people, veterans especially, have to say about this?

The Govenor 2012/03/15 00:58:20

An American flag featuring an image of President Barack Obama’s face was removed from outside a local Florida Democratic Party headquarters Tuesday after several veterans called it “despicable” and a “desecration,” the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Veterans gathered Tuesday afternoon to protest in front of the Lake County Democratic Party headquarters, where the flag — featuring Obama’s face in the blue section where the stars normally go — was flying beneath a traditional American flag. The confrontation ended after party chairwoman Nancy Hurlbert took the flag down, according to the Sentinel.

The protest started after Don Van Beck, a Korean war veteran and executive director of the Veterans Memorial at Fountain Park in Leesburg, Fla., snapped several pictures of the flag and distributed them to others. He told WFTV-TV seeing it made his blood boil.

“I can‘t describe how upset was because you just don’t do that to the American flag,” he told the station.

The group demanded Hurlbert remove the flag, saying it was a violation of the federal flag code that prohibits any “marks, insignia, letters, words, figures, designs, picture or drawings of any nature,” the Leesburg Daily Commercial reported. According to the Sentinel, Hurlbert said she would look into the issue but didn’t take the flag down right away. A short while later, she conceded and removed it.

“We‘re proud of our president and we didn’t realize it was in violation,” Hurlbert said. “I am the chair and I take responsibility for this.”

Hurlbert told the newspaper it was the first time anyone had complained about the flag, which she said was given as a gift and had flown for several months without any issue.

“It’s a cult of personality to show his face, like Stalin or Mao,” retired Marine John Masterjohn told the Sentinel. “It’s despicable. They don’t realize how sick they are.”

“If you’ve been a veteran and fought — and some died for this flag — you don’t want to see it desecrated. That’s how simple it is,” Van Beck told WFTV.

Hurlbert told Fox News she plans to contact an attorney about the situation, and was non-committal about whether she’ll fly it again.

Still, because it went unnoticed for so long, she said she has a feeling it’s “not about the flag.”

“It leads me to believe that it’s not about the flag,” she told Fox News. “Certain elements cannot accept Barack Obama as president.”

flag

flag1

• daniellhawk 2012/06/24 21:23:22
    daniellhawk
    +1
    To not know it was desecration is the most appalling thing about this in my opinion. Where have we gone to not pay attention to the honor and respect due to our flag?
  • The Gov... daniell... 2012/06/24 22:40:30
  • Glenn Mitchell 2012/03/15 02:47:28
    Glenn Mitchell
    I say that the flag flew for two months without being noticed. The staff report that the flag was a gift to the office. A veteran took notice and asked if he and a group of veterans could take the flag down for them. The veteran explained that putting icons or otherwise changing the flag was against code and offered an MIA flag to replace it. The lady said that she wanted to read the code for herself (i.e. do research) and the veteran and his small group became impatient as he knew it should not be flying. The lady became impatient and informed him it was on private property and he and his group could not touch it. She threatened to call the police and the veteran encouraged her to do so knowing he was not in the wrong.

Okay was this a case of intentionally disrespecting the flag? In my opinion no it was not. She and another member of the staff came out of the office shortly after this atercation and removed the flag. I believe that she did not know that altering the American flag in this way was an issue. I suspect that if someone could get in touch with her at this moment she would say the same and quite possibly apologize for her mistake.

Anyway that is my opinion. As with most news items on Sodahead it is and has taken on a life of its own. I served in our military to uphold and protect our way of life, even if sometimes that way of life conflicts with my way of life.
  • The Gov... Glenn M... 2012/03/15 03:57:26
  • Glenn M... The Gov... 2012/03/15 14:19:46
    Glenn Mitchell
    The billboards are free speech. The flag incident in Florida was (in my opinion) not orchestrated nor intentional. I am glad that they realized that it was not appropriate and took it down.
  • The Gov... Glenn M... 2012/03/15 14:31:09
  • Glenn M... The Gov... 2012/03/15 15:24:51
    Glenn Mitchell
    If you read the news story the flag was a gift to the office and it had been flying for two months. When they were informed of the code they did take it down. The flag was put up of course but there was certainly no intention of disrespecting it. The staff at the office did not know it violated any code at the time. Again it was taken down after they learned it was not appropriate.
    http://www.dailycommercial.co...
  • The Gov... Glenn M... 2012/03/15 15:41:44
  • Glenn M... The Gov... 2012/03/15 16:01:57
    Glenn Mitchell
    There is a Federal code for the US flag. I would provide the link but if you have an interest you'll find it. I need not take responsibility for this event as it pales in comparison to our economy. The flag means a lot to me as I served my nation for 23 years it is embedded into the pride of service.

If I find a poll for the billboards in Washington State I will be sure to leave my comments beyond what I already offered 'Freedom of Speech' where it will be on topic.
  • The Gov... Glenn M... 2012/03/15 18:56:46
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/03/15 02:31:00
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +2
    Progressives once again parade before our very eyes they're total disregard for anything wholesome, good or beloved.

And then they wonder why they are so disrespected and why they're president is a complete putz and wimp.
  • GANGA~Patriotic Revolution ... 2012/03/15 01:48:24
    GANGA~Patriotic Revolution BL-100+
    +2
    It is totally disgraceful!

Considering what the Demwit Party has
    become I am surprised that they didn't use a pic of Castro and his buddy Che!
  • The Gov... GANGA~P... 2012/03/15 02:15:21
  • Dagon 2012/03/15 01:08:29
  • cutter's falls 2012/03/15 01:05:17
  • The Govenor 2012/03/15 00:59:35

2014/11/23 08:52:26