The U.S. is the only advanced country without a national vacation policy: Thoughts?

moonbaby 2012/07/11 00:40:14
The United States is practically the only developed country in the world that doesn't require companies to give their workers time off. In Germany, workers are guaranteed a month. In the UK, they're guaranteed more than five weeks of paid vacation. In the U.S., unique in its class, there is no such guarantee.

guaranteed uk guaranteed weeks paid vacation unique class guarantee nbsp

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/the-only-...

• A Founding Father 2012/07/11 06:48:42
    A Founding Father
    We have a "class" system. If you aren't in the "Top 2% Club" you are at least "Second class" in the U.S. No private jet or Auto Elevator? Also "Second class, as least. No home in the Hamptons, or Boca Raton, or Aspen? Second class, maybe just "trash". No paid vacation? "Tough S**** Dixie, the 2% have vacations and you stay there and answer the phones.
  • JanHopkins 2012/07/11 05:20:16
    JanHopkins
    I get 4 weeks vacation a year but if I actually took all that time off my family would have to do without things that they need. My German grand son in law told me that in Germany I couldn't choose to work instead of taking time off. I wouldn't like that.
  • ParkMan 2012/07/11 02:14:47
    ParkMan
    This isn't a government issue. Employment is a contract between an employee and a company. The government needs to stay out of it.
  • say what? 2012/07/11 01:47:19
    say what?
    Advanced? Looks like we have regressed lately.
  • Z 2012/07/11 01:24:41
    Z
    +1
    It isn't the government's place to do so. If people want time off, they should be working with their unions and employers to do so. You sell your labor to your employer, make sure you sell it for what you want.
  • MichaelJ 2012/07/11 01:12:18
    MichaelJ
    +2
    Yes. My thought would be that it isn't a government function to be involved in such things.
    If people in other country's feel different, that's great, just not here.
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/07/11 01:06:10
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    I think you should move to Europe.
  • moonbaby Rusty S... 2012/07/11 01:11:21
    moonbaby
    No idea why you seem to be trying to attack me... I did not voice my opinion on this issue, but instead only posted facts and asked for other people's opinions on the matter. I suppose, though, that I should have expected some people to be too unintelligent to form thoughts on the actual issue at hand. Oh well, silly me!

2014/04/20 20:39:14