The Tea Party Is Not Happy With Chicago's Sarah Palin Sculpture

Foxy Warrior Guru 2012/05/04 18:55:32
This is just cute.

John Metcalfe Apr 30, 2012

You'd think that folks who love both red meat and Sarah Palin would rally behind a sculpture devoted to both. But for some reason, the Tea Party is not happy with this BBQ smoker in the shape of the conservative firebrand's freedom-filled noggin.

News organizations have been rooting and snuffling around the immense Palin head, titled "We're Having a Tea Parody" (not "Pear-ody," as reported elsewhere), ever since mixed-media artist J. Taylor Wallace debuted it in 2011 at a Memphis public-art show. The anthropomorphic cooker hit the news again last week, when Wallace fashioned a meal with it to celebrate the opening of a new sculpture garden in Chicago.

A couple notes about its provenance are worth mentioning here. The sculpture includes an oven for smoking delicious meats because, in charming Southern fashion, that was a requirement for entry in the Memphis exhibit. The Palin element is there because Wallace wanted to make a statement about her rigid, some might say extremist ideology.

"I know Alaskans have their own issues up there, but helicopter-wolf killing is not what I'm a big fan of," he explains. "A terrifying prospect to me is, what if she was in charge of the Department of Interior?" (That could conceivably happen under the reign of President Newt Gingrich.)

The Palin cooker's current home is outside the Bridgeport Art Center, a cultural venue/housing project for artists in Chicago, where it stands like a screaming Moai head guarding the premises. In its trip from Tennessee to the Windy City, the sculpture has attracted a lot of attention, not all of it fawning.

"I've gotten some really lovely emails, like, 'You suck, and you'll be the next one to burn,'" says Wallace. Here are a few choice selections from the artist's inbox:

It is a matter of time till you are the pig, was it fun for you pig.

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame by insulting someone. Looks more like a morph of H Clinton and R Maddow, anyway.

I noticed your work of art in the Chicago Tribune this morning. I am sure you are elated with the exposure you have received. Unfortunately, you obviously needed to accomplish this by using Sarah Palin (an easy target) as your inspiration. I hope the feminist groups in the United States take note of your efforts to humiliate a woman of intelligence, courage and leadership. The role model that these groups have promoted over the years to have the opportunity to become President or Vice President of our nation has been ridiculed by your "work of art". I work in the art field, totally enjoy creativity, am not a feminist, and am totally not impressed by your work. I feel sorry for the people of Bridgeport and visitors that will be exposed to your art.

"Amid the hate speech, I have also been called 'gay' in what is I presume an attempt to insult me by a particular demographic of individuals," Wallace says. This vehement opposition to the flavor-imparting Palin dome upset him, at first. "The point is to have a conversation.... For people to get so angry over a piece of artwork is surprising to me."

Perhaps their indignation could be explained by the work's unique design: When the smoker is in operation, it look like Palin's head is steaming with anger. Or maybe they read that one of the first things Wallace cooked in the stove was a pig with wings, a comment on some of her more out-there opinions. (See photo below.) But now he's reconciled with all the jibes and insults, and dreams of the day when the ex-governor herself stops by the Bridgeport center for a taste of his Carolina-style BBQ. "I think she would like [the sculpture], if she hung out with it."

For any members of the Tea Party reading: If you hate this thing and want it out of sight ASAP, perhaps the best thing to do would be to buy it. Wallace says it's for sale to anybody with $14,000.

Read More: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/arts-and-lifestyl...

• C. C. Rider 2012/05/04 22:30:53
    C. C. Rider
    +22
    LMAo Blowing hot smoke, loves pigs, mouth always open but has nothing to say. THEY NAILED IT!! LOL
    why be mad, here she is posing for it.
    sarah pailin with her mouth open

• Link Cuppajo 2012/05/04 23:39:00
    Link
    +2
    Try reading my reply to you above.... try not being difficult
  • Cuppajo Link 2012/05/07 13:49:38
    Cuppajo
    I simply responded to a question designed to inflame, antagonize and throw up a schoolyard taunt, "Why don't they like this?"

So I said, "By your logic, dems should love these images."

And "you guys" start acting like I did something personally to you.
  • Link Cuppajo 2012/05/04 23:36:15 (edited)
    Link
    +5
    That's not what's being said... What is being said is that if people don't agree with the opinions expressed and the articles posted, there's no need to call names and ridicule someone for their opinions and posts... if you don't agree, and are unable debate reasonably and civilly, then don't say anything...

THAT"S THE POINT...
  • Cuppajo Link 2012/05/07 13:50:26
    Cuppajo
    You'll pardon me, but I'm not the one attacking someone who simply used the posters own line of thinking against them.
  • #Justic... Cuppajo 2012/05/05 03:05:21
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +4
    Cuppa, there's no bringing our "opponents" around. They don't want to hear the truth. The most people like Foxy or me can hope for is to speak the truth so those who have NOT sold out to the Reich Wing Propaganda Machine can get the TRUTH.
  • Cuppajo #Justic... 2012/05/07 13:51:27
    Cuppajo
    And you can't do that without vindictive, petty attacks (even about someone who isn't even actually IN politics any longer?)
  • kudabux Foxy Wa... 2012/05/04 22:39:45
    kudabux
    +7
    Foxy, you are so right! Excellent post
  • The Eli... Foxy Wa... 2012/05/04 22:51:22
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +4
    I've been called a Libtard.
  • Foxy Wa... The Eli... 2012/05/04 23:11:17
    Foxy Warrior Guru
    +3
    Wonder why, what with your screen name and all. ;)
  • The Eli... Foxy Wa... 2012/05/04 23:26:50
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +3
    I can't fit all the insults into my profile name, so I picked my favorites.
  • Foxy Wa... The Eli... 2012/05/04 23:39:53
    Foxy Warrior Guru
    +5
    I always thought you had one of the coolest names on here.
  • The Eli... Foxy Wa... 2012/05/04 23:41:17
  • Link Foxy Wa... 2012/05/04 23:31:04
    Link
    +6
    Not me and I have read your articles and agreed with you some... and for those I may not have agreed at all or not completely, I haven't insulted you for your views and have even supported your right to your opinion whether I agreed ot not...

I do know what you're talking about and can understand your frustrations... you just keep standing strong and stand for what you believe in... be true to yourself... the hell with everyone else...
  • Foxy Wa... Link 2012/05/04 23:54:57
    Foxy Warrior Guru
    +5
    My point and thank you. Articles like this just prove what I'm saying even more. The article had NOTHING insulting about Palin, it was about the over reaction of certain fringe elements to an innocent piece of artwork. The sculpture actually does look like her, if you get past the gaping mouth, The features are not exaggerated or caracatured, but a fairly faithful representation. It is obviously a completely non-political piece of interpretive artwork that I personally think Palin, herself, would probably like. Yet the stupid and unimaginative on here have seen it as some form of unholy blasphemy against their goddess and turned it into a hatefest, thus proving beyond a doubt the legitimacy of the thrust of the article. Worse than those are the ones who simply ignore the article, the sculpture, and whatever else is actually being stated here and use it as an excuse to hold an all-out Obama bash, complete with racist photoshops and attacks against his wife and family. These are the people I am thoroughly disgusted with, and these are the people I will be posting for, giving those (of both sides) with any intelligence a chance to see how ridiculous extremism has become on this site. And before the (perfectly understandable) question is raised, I will be focusing mainly on right-wing sacred cows because these are the ones that bring out the most hate. As I previously stated, those who can "get it" will. The others will have fun tearing each other apart. Everybody happy.
  • Chris- ... Foxy Wa... 2012/05/05 01:50:24
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +3
    If I may offer some unsolicited advice? The problem is you think too much and when one does that on SH frustration, anger, and possibly alcoholism are sure to follow. Why do you think certain people are always posting pictures? (you know the ones, Obama as Hitler, Obama as an ape, Obama in the Taliban, etc...) It requires no thought and minimal effort. Toss in some name calling, Nazi and Libtard seem to be quite popular this year, and you done! On to the next poll. Think of all the energy you waste by actually listening to others, not to mention responding with more than one sentence.
    You should start thinking like some right-wingers do. Ask yourself, "What would Jesus do?" Apparently he would promote racism while accusing others of infringing on his religious rights, find "news" stories without one shred of truth and insist they are accurate, and occasionally quote scripture to prove anyone who disagrees with him will burn in hell forever. (gays and pro-choice people mainly.) Just throw in "but God loves you anyway" so you will continue to be a good person.
    See how easy life can be? :^D
  • Wilde~M... Foxy Wa... 2012/05/05 02:25:44 (edited)
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +2
    Ugh... preaching to the choir!!
    I was the same way... I used to post things to get a serious debate going but it would only turn into a hate fest... so I stopped.
    Its tiresome trying to explain the definition of Marxist, socialist, communist, Nazi, etc all the time and why those words don't apply.
    I completely understand where you are coming from.
  • #Justic... Foxy Wa... 2012/05/05 03:00:23
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +3
    Tell it Foxy cuz you're speaking the truth. They don't wanna hear the truth. They are so happy in their hateful, deluded state that anyone who tries to speak reason to them is called everything BUT a Child of God.
  • Dave Foxy Wa... 2012/05/05 04:55:13
    Dave
    +2
    The problem with posting anything in a response is that you have to rely on them to read the posting. The Right Wingnuts will never do that because they know it is information that shows another side to how they are programmed to think.

I read all the postings even if it's from someone I agree with. Don't beat yourself up - you do a great job on here.

It's the old Dorothy Parker story. Use Horticulture in a sentence and she responded with, "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can not make her think."
  • Telly S... Cuppajo 2012/05/04 22:04:39
  • Foxy Wa... Telly S... 2012/05/04 22:09:16
  • luvguins Telly S... 2012/05/04 22:56:24
    luvguins
    +5
    TELLY!!!!! You're baaaaaaacccck. cat hooray
  • ProudPr... Telly S... 2012/05/05 14:03:05
  • Blunder... Telly S... 2012/05/05 16:01:35
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    +3
    Say, you sure do look familiar...don't I know you?
  • Telly S... Blunder... 2012/05/05 16:26:12
    Telly Samba
    +2
    I think so. Do I sound (or read) familiar too?
  • Blunder... Telly S... 2012/05/05 19:48:57
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    +1
    Sure you do. Where have you been?
  • Telly S... Blunder... 2012/05/07 14:01:21
    Telly Samba
    +2
    Damn! It blocked me...I don't know if my delicate ego will ever recover....
  • Blunder... Telly S... 2012/05/10 10:02:46 (edited)
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    +1
    Yeah, I feel you. I've embroidered a red "B" on all of my garments so that everyone can know my shame. Lol.
  • Cuppajo Telly S... 2012/05/07 13:53:09
  • ProudPr... Cuppajo 2012/05/04 19:57:10
    ProudProgressive
    +4
    LOL I guess I had that coming. Well played.
  • DutchHe... ProudPr... 2012/05/05 09:30:29
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    +2
    I love Michael Palin, he is VERY funny :P
  • lurx: t... Cuppajo 2012/05/04 23:53:28 (edited)
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +3
    Damn, Obama is stepping on that portion of the constitution that relates blacks to three-fifths of that of ordinary Americans.

...no wonder the white guys are so angry.
  • Keeping... Cuppajo 2012/05/05 00:24:39
    Keeping It Real
    +3
    I checked out your profile and it's understandable why you're jealous of POTUS. you re jealous

2014/11/26 03:08:20