The Tea Party Is Not Happy With Chicago's Sarah Palin Sculpture

Foxy Warrior Guru 2012/05/04 18:55:32
This is just cute.

John Metcalfe Apr 30, 2012

You'd think that folks who love both red meat and Sarah Palin would rally behind a sculpture devoted to both. But for some reason, the Tea Party is not happy with this BBQ smoker in the shape of the conservative firebrand's freedom-filled noggin.

News organizations have been rooting and snuffling around the immense Palin head, titled "We're Having a Tea Parody" (not "Pear-ody," as reported elsewhere), ever since mixed-media artist J. Taylor Wallace debuted it in 2011 at a Memphis public-art show. The anthropomorphic cooker hit the news again last week, when Wallace fashioned a meal with it to celebrate the opening of a new sculpture garden in Chicago.

A couple notes about its provenance are worth mentioning here. The sculpture includes an oven for smoking delicious meats because, in charming Southern fashion, that was a requirement for entry in the Memphis exhibit. The Palin element is there because Wallace wanted to make a statement about her rigid, some might say extremist ideology.

"I know Alaskans have their own issues up there, but helicopter-wolf killing is not what I'm a big fan of," he explains. "A terrifying prospect to me is, what if she was in charge of the Department of Interior?" (That could conceivably happen under the reign of President Newt Gingrich.)

The Palin cooker's current home is outside the Bridgeport Art Center, a cultural venue/housing project for artists in Chicago, where it stands like a screaming Moai head guarding the premises. In its trip from Tennessee to the Windy City, the sculpture has attracted a lot of attention, not all of it fawning.

"I've gotten some really lovely emails, like, 'You suck, and you'll be the next one to burn,'" says Wallace. Here are a few choice selections from the artist's inbox:

It is a matter of time till you are the pig, was it fun for you pig.

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame by insulting someone. Looks more like a morph of H Clinton and R Maddow, anyway.

I noticed your work of art in the Chicago Tribune this morning. I am sure you are elated with the exposure you have received. Unfortunately, you obviously needed to accomplish this by using Sarah Palin (an easy target) as your inspiration. I hope the feminist groups in the United States take note of your efforts to humiliate a woman of intelligence, courage and leadership. The role model that these groups have promoted over the years to have the opportunity to become President or Vice President of our nation has been ridiculed by your "work of art". I work in the art field, totally enjoy creativity, am not a feminist, and am totally not impressed by your work. I feel sorry for the people of Bridgeport and visitors that will be exposed to your art.

"Amid the hate speech, I have also been called 'gay' in what is I presume an attempt to insult me by a particular demographic of individuals," Wallace says. This vehement opposition to the flavor-imparting Palin dome upset him, at first. "The point is to have a conversation.... For people to get so angry over a piece of artwork is surprising to me."

Perhaps their indignation could be explained by the work's unique design: When the smoker is in operation, it look like Palin's head is steaming with anger. Or maybe they read that one of the first things Wallace cooked in the stove was a pig with wings, a comment on some of her more out-there opinions. (See photo below.) But now he's reconciled with all the jibes and insults, and dreams of the day when the ex-governor herself stops by the Bridgeport center for a taste of his Carolina-style BBQ. "I think she would like [the sculpture], if she hung out with it."

For any members of the Tea Party reading: If you hate this thing and want it out of sight ASAP, perhaps the best thing to do would be to buy it. Wallace says it's for sale to anybody with $14,000.

Read More: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/arts-and-lifestyl...

• C. C. Rider 2012/05/04 22:30:53
    C. C. Rider
    +22
    LMAo Blowing hot smoke, loves pigs, mouth always open but has nothing to say. THEY NAILED IT!! LOL
    why be mad, here she is posing for it.
    sarah pailin with her mouth open

• redhorse29 2012/05/05 06:01:31
    redhorse29
    +4
    what can you expect from a town that embraces Obutthead the first.
  • joe mauro 2012/05/05 05:06:50
    joe mauro
    +4
    art reflects life sometimes with revealing results.
  • Dave 2012/05/05 05:01:46
    Dave
    +6
    It's ideal! A great interpretation of the woman herself.
  • JohnT 2012/05/05 04:30:11
    JohnT
    +7
    It should have been partially finished like her Governorship. Not completed but plenty of blah blah blah
    +2
    That's the most ridiculous-looking thing I ever saw.
  • ProudPr... Temlako... 2012/05/05 14:18:16
    ProudProgressive
    +6
    Oh come on, friend. Even if you think it's tasteless you have to admit its funny.
  • 4gotten Israelite 2012/05/05 03:14:57
    4gotten Israelite
    +9
    Perfect! it looks just like her saying nothing.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/05/05 02:34:46
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +9
    The Tea Party always has their panties in a wad up their buttcrack about something. Have you ever noticed the looks on their faces? They look like they haven't pooped in about a month & their feces is about as hard as concrete.

There's all kinds of categories of art; abstract, fantasy, western etc. My taste tends to go in this direction.

tag

tag

tag

tag
  • urwutuis 2012/05/05 02:31:44
    urwutuis
    +10
    It's a bit over the top but it 's still pretty funny and no worse than other political caricatures. It's the price of fame.
  • Cliff 2012/05/05 02:05:15
    Cliff
    +4
    Maybe what Chicago needs is an Obama sculpture.
  • Lisa Cliff 2012/05/05 14:15:49
    Lisa
    +1
    Yes a sculpture of a thug ripping the heart out of Americans !
  • Elephant Lord 2012/05/05 01:42:25
    Elephant Lord
    +6
    The sculpture looks like Satan in the second to last picture.
  • Brat 2012/05/05 01:32:26
    Brat
    +1
    This is just ridiculous.
  • Helmholtz 2012/05/05 01:06:53
    Helmholtz
    +10
    Two things:

1) Impressive

2) Who gives a sh!t what Tea Partiers think? Well, actually, if I made something that made headlines and pissed them off, then I'd be pretty happy :)
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/05/05 00:50:54
    NarcolepticGoat
    +6
    At least they did admit she's an easy target.
  • Brainfart " Bane of the Col... 2012/05/05 00:18:59
    Brainfart " Bane of the Collective "
    +2
    Nice...
    This Is Bound to send thousands of Obamaroids straight into the arms of their Obama Blowup Dolls...
  • C. C. R... Brainfa... 2012/05/05 02:08:58
  • Brainfa... C. C. R... 2012/05/05 08:45:55
    Brainfart " Bane of the Collective "
    +4
    I`m sure your Blowup Doll is worn out by now so I present you with the newest model..

blowup doll newest model

Enjoy
  • Lisa Brainfa... 2012/05/05 14:17:23
    Lisa
    +2
    Lol. Roflmao. Thanks!
  • C. C. R... Brainfa... 2012/05/05 18:59:46
    C. C. Rider
    +2
    LOL The newest model? My, how nice to know you keep up with those things. LOL I didn't know you swing that way. LOL ehh just for you then

larry craing larry craing
  • Brainfa... C. C. R... 2012/05/05 23:23:12
    Brainfart " Bane of the Collective "
    LOL.See how you are LOL I try and Upgrade your Old worn out ODimwit memorabilia LOL..And you play the Fag Card LOL.
    Some Tolerant Moonbat you are LOL
    Hard to Believe you`ve worn out your Race Card..LOL..
    But then everyone knows That will never ever happen LOL
  • C. C. R... Brainfa... 2012/05/05 23:53:50
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    See HOW you ARE, you told me what way you swing and I get you a hook up. ooohh I get it,,,not into white huh?
  • Brainfa... C. C. R... 2012/05/06 00:01:55
    Brainfart " Bane of the Collective "
    LOL I Told You..LOL..No LOL you Told yourself that The old
    " I know you are but what am I " Is still a relevant comeback LOL.
  • C. C. R... Brainfa... 2012/05/06 00:11:51
  • Brainfa... C. C. R... 2012/05/06 05:04:25 (edited)
    Brainfart " Bane of the Collective "
    Yes you are..LOL

See what i did there LOL

I do like the way you put LOL at the end of every sentence tho..LOL

Makes it so No matter how nasty or loony your comment is...Its Funny cause you put LOL there LOL..

I`m gonna steal that .LOL

edit to say Thanks ! LOL!!
  • C. C. R... Brainfa... 2012/05/06 23:06:18
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    LOL But on you it just looks like you are a crazy fool. LOL LOL
  • Brainfa... C. C. R... 2012/05/06 23:42:55
    Brainfart " Bane of the Collective "
    I`ll take Looking Like .LOL Over you`re being one LOL

Thanks !!! LOL
  • C. C. R... Brainfa... 2012/05/06 23:46:24
    C. C. Rider
    +2
    Now lol you have verified it lol lol you are lol lol one
  • Brainfa... C. C. R... 2012/05/06 23:50:03 (edited)
    Brainfart " Bane of the Collective "
    LOL reduced to Grammar Nazi ..LOL

Edit, Have to rave you for failing So badly.

Kudo`s
  • luvguins 2012/05/05 00:12:44
    luvguins
    +10
    The tea party isn't happy about anything. Why their approval rating is now in the dumps.
    A good likeness of some poses I've seen of her on Faux News.
  • Juanb 2012/05/04 23:49:45
    Juanb
    +5
    its a masterpiece its a most compelling moving work depicting the Retardua and the Linsanity that can only be truly Palinesque a magnificent display of stupidation bird brainious

work depicting retardua linsanity palinesque magnificent display stupidation bird brainious
  • C. C. R... Juanb 2012/05/05 02:04:22
    C. C. Rider
    +5
    LOL That about sums it up lol
  • Tank 2012/05/04 23:48:49
    Tank
    +6
    Hahahahaha, I love it. Particularly the picture that was taken at night.
  • Raymond Allamby 2012/05/04 23:40:54
    Raymond Allamby
    +7
    perfect! where can i get one?
  • Muriel 2012/05/04 23:26:51
    Muriel
    +4
    Tea party or any party right or left. Lighten up Art is Art, With all the disgusting art that has been presented to the public this is just plain fun..I imagine Sarah will like it most of all.
  • #Justic... Muriel 2012/05/05 02:16:54
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +4
    I know what you mean. I don't understand how this piece commanded so much money at Sotheby's.

understand piece commanded money sothebys
  • joe mauro #Justic... 2012/05/05 05:08:18
    joe mauro
    +2
    maybe 500 years from now
  • BritPunk #Justic... 2012/05/05 08:32:03
    BritPunk
    +2
    That could be re titled "Mrs Palin's Reaction to New Sculpture"!!
  • dave b 2012/05/04 23:18:21 (edited)
    dave b
    +6
    Its insulting.

I could imagine the outrage from the lwnj's if it were a 'sculpture' Michelle or some other leftwinger woman political figure.

Not so with Palin. Its ok for the Libs to go to war against women. Conservative women.
  • Manwé dave b 2012/05/05 00:15:33
    Manwé
    +10
    Insulting? You (currently) have a picture of a Chia Grow-a-Head featuring the President as your profile picture. Parody and art featuring public figures is common.

2014/10/25 16:50:25