The story of Gas prices starting with Bush ending with Obama

HOMBRE 2012/02/16 15:51:44
I see the way the libs are fling the poop on gas prices keep bringing up Bush?
Anybody remember this picture her3 gas was $3.05. Dem's attacking Bush on high prices
Obama solution to a great recovery? REALLY  I mean really?
Lets hear the spin folks I got my hip waders on?

Connecting Bush, Not Obama to High Prices: As gas prices rose in 2008, network reporters mentioned President Bush in 15 times as many stories, than they brought up President Obama in a similar period in 2011.

Gallons of coverage in 2008: Comparing a 20 day span of rising gas prices in 2008 to 24 days of rising prices in February 2011, the Business & Media Institute found the networks did more than 2 ½ times as many stories during the Bush years versus Obama.

Unrest in the Mideast has hit American consumers hard, driving up gas prices that had already been above $3-a-gallon since Dec. 23. The national average for gasoline hit $3.36 on Feb. 28, the highest ever for the month of February according to The Associated Press. But the amount of network news coverage of rising gas prices did not reflect it.
All three broadcast networks together averaged just one story about rising gas prices per day. In contrast, when gas prices rose similarly in 2008, the networks averaged more than one story, per network, per day.
It took 24 days, from Feb. 1, to Feb. 24 for the national average for unleaded gasoline to climb from $3.101 to 3.228. The last comparable period of "eye-popping" gas prices: the 20 days between Feb. 21, 2008, and March 11, 2008, when the national average climbed from $3.086 to $3.227.

Some 2008 reports including the March 6, 2008, "Early Show" exaggerated the already rising prices by emphasizing extremely high prices. That morning CBS showed viewers a California gas pump that was charging $5.19-a-gallon for regular unleaded before mentioning the national average for that day, which was $2.02 lower. Some 2011 reports have reversed that trend by downplaying the impact of currently high gas prices on consumers by using words like "inching" to describe rising prices, or calling U.S. prices "a bargain compared to Europe."

The Business & Media Institute examined all the broadcast network news reports mentioning gas prices during each of those time periods and found ABC, CBS and NBC aired more than 2 ½ times more stories (63 stories to 24) in 2008 than they did in 2011.
But it was more than just the amount of coverage that showed the media's willingness to spin gas prices one way under Bush, and another way under Obama. In 2008, network reporters mentioned "Bush," the "president" or "government" in gas price reports 15 times more often than in 2011 under President Obama (15 stories to 1). A number of stories portrayed Bush as out-of-the-loop when he was asked about the possibility of $4-a-gallon gas and hadn't yet heard that prediction.
In contrast to the 15 reports referencing the Bush administration when gas prices were "through the roof," the only 2011 story to mention the president was NBC "Nightly News" on Feb. 24. Tom Costello's report on the impact of surging gas prices quoted President Obama who was "optimistic."
Obama said, "We actually think that we'll be able to ride out the Libya situation and it will stabilize." Costello didn't question the president's statement or mention any of the administration's policies that will constrict the supply of oil and gasoline and could further increase the price of gasoline for consumers.
Networks Fail to Mention Obama's Anti-Oil Actions

President Obama is the most anti-oil president in years and has taken specific steps to limit domestic oil production including a moratorium on deepwater drilling in May 2010 after the BP spill and the recent imposition of new regulations on the industry. Yet, the networks refused to notice in the recent gas prices stories BMI analyzed, just as they did in December 2010.

Not a single one of 2011 stories about rising gas prices BMI examined brought up any of Obama's anti-oil policies despite the impact they could have on supply and prices.

Obama's drilling ban was overturned by a federal court judge in June, but his administration continued to enforce it. On Feb. 3, Bloomberg reported that the administration "acted in contempt" of court by doing so.

U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman ruled on June 22, 2010, that the ban was "overly broad," according to Bloomberg. The following month Interior Secretary Ken Salazar put a second moratorium into effect, but voluntarily lifted it in October.
Some industry insiders claim there is still an "informal moratorium" on offshore drilling. "President Obama claims to have lifted the Gulf moratorium, yet not a single deepwater permit has been issued in nine months," Jim Adams, the Offshore Marine Service Association's president, said in a press release quoted by Bloomberg.
Adams said the consequences have been thousands of lost jobs and higher prices for gasoline and heating oil. At least one company, Seahawk drilling, has filed for bankruptcy blaming Obama administration policies.
The Heritage Foundation wrote on Jan. 11, 2011, that only two new deepwater permits have been issues since the end of the Obama moratorium, "down 88 percent from the historical average." Heritage also said shallow-water permits are down 11 percent. The Obama administration has also cancelled four pending lease sales in Alaska and reinforced existing offshore drilling bans, which prevent exploration in 85 percent of coastal waters.

"The lack of exploration and production means fewer jobs for out-of-work Americans and less money flowing into federal coffers," Heritage concluded.

Action on at least several of those permits may be forthcoming now that Feldman has ordered Salazar to decide on five permit applications from Ensco within 30 days.

Investor's Business Daily argued in a recent editorial that the Obama administration is intentionally allowing prices to spike in order to make green energy more desirable.
On the issue of rising prices, IBD editorialized: "It's not just Mideast turmoil that has brought us to this point. It's also a deliberate program of restricting domestic energy to make so-called green energy more attractive and necessary, keeping an Obama campaign promise that energy prices would 'necessarily skyrocket' on his energy agenda."

What High Gas Prices Mean for the U.S. Economy?

Moratoriums and permit delays have already costs jobs and threatened businesses and "soaring" gas prices could damage the fragile U.S. economy even more. Some analysts have predicted $5-a-gallon gasoline which would be "devastating," but "serious" consequences could result even if prices only reach the $3.75-a-gallon range.
AP reported that some businesses are already taking the hit for extra fuel costs because they don't think the economy is strong enough to pass it on in the form of higher prices.
In that same report, AP quoted Oil Price Information Service's chief oil analyst Tom Kloza. "[He] believes that the normal seasonal rise in prices has been pulled ahead by events in the Middle East, but he still expects prices to rise further. He predicts prices will reach $3.50 to $3.75 per gallon, barring more chaos in the Middle East," AP said.
Kloza said that would have "very serious consequences for the economy."

AP also reported that, "Over a year, analysts estimate, oil at $100 a barrel would reduce U.S. economic growth by 0.2 or 0.3 of a percentage point. Rather than grow an estimated 3.7 percent this year, the economy would expand 3.4 percent or 3.5 percent. That would likely mean less hiring and higher unemployment."
According to John Challenger, chief executive officer of global outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas, rising fuel prices be the "biggest obstacle yet" to job growth. Challenger said in a release, "Companies will be reluctant to pass along their higher fuel costs to consumers. So, the more companies are required to spend on fuel, the less they have to spend on expansion and hiring."
Higher prices, such as the $5-a-gallon prediction would be even worse for the economy. University of Maryland economist Peter Morici told BMI: "$5-a-gallon would be devastating if it's in 2011, if it's in 2014 it might not be devastating. But right now, if we went to that by July it would kill the recovery. It is unlikely that we will get to $5-a-gallon because it would kill the recovery before that point and then prices would go down."

• LarryFine 2012/02/16 16:27:03
    LarryFine
    +11
    Keep those IMPORTED oil prices going up. Just another way to help his Muslim brothers in the middle east.

• WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/02/17 00:21:35
    Obama solution to a great recovery? REALLY I mean really?
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Obama is full of BS.
  • Marc Allen 2012/02/16 23:30:52
  • mich52 2012/02/16 23:04:55 (edited)
  • Eric mich52 2012/02/20 20:04:44
    Eric
    Certainly ironic, though. Energy production, oops, make that oil and natural gas production, is leading the way and driving the economic recovery, just in time to save Obama's job.
  • mich52 Eric 2012/02/20 22:48:40
  • HOMBRE mich52 2012/02/20 22:54:58
    HOMBRE
    Gas go over 4.00 buck a gal no matter how Obama goon squad doctors numbers for unemployment or news lame stream media sugar coat his crap making it sound like we in a recovery.People reach into their pocket try to charge gas on a credit card or pay cash. The truth will come out.What evil company will it be this time Obama will attack or will it be Bush fault again?
  • mich52 HOMBRE 2012/02/21 02:00:01 (edited)
  • HOMBRE mich52 2012/02/21 02:11:19 (edited)
    HOMBRE
    Speculators there is no shortage. It a what if scenario. I thought this was suppose to get fixed according to Nancy Pelosi I would send yo u-tubes but if you want you could look your self.Obama wants high gas prices you know it. More tax money and pushes his green energy.
  • Radlad 2012/02/16 22:49:39
    Radlad
    +2
    Shuts down drilling in gulf and off shore, stops the building of oil pipeline from Canada..... Yep! It's all dubya's fault...
  • Thom Payne 2012/02/16 22:20:54
    Thom Payne
    +4
    Yeah, lets hear why this is all Obama's fault when domestic oil production is at an all-time high.
  • Rebel [SHP] 2012/02/16 22:14:27
    Rebel [SHP]
    +3
    Gas has never been higher. Obama certainly wasn't the solution.
  • Idiot repubs 2012/02/16 21:40:41
    Idiot repubs
    +4
    It was $4.21 under bush

bush sucks
  • twocrows Idiot r... 2012/02/17 00:13:18
    twocrows
    +1
    oh, be careful, IR. facts just make some peoples' heads explode.
  • Idiot r... twocrows 2012/02/17 00:33:11
    Idiot repubs
    +1
    I know! The only calendar they seem to know how to use is the Mayan calendar because theirs a conspiracy hidden there.

July 2008: Bush was president and gas was $4.21 on average nationally for regular.
  • Eric Idiot r... 2012/02/20 20:08:10
    Eric
    Just keep that in mind. You are tying Bush into the high gas prices. So, naturally, if gas prices rise to a higher level over the next 7 months or so you will tie Obama in with the gas price, right?
  • DMC4196 Idiot r... 2012/02/17 03:42:05
    DMC4196
    Perhaps on a national average, but I live in Georgia and the highest I paid for gasoline was $3.92 on September 18, 2008. Gasoline went above $3.00 on February 22 and fell below $3.00 on October 16. I know this, because I use a spreadsheet to keep up with all of my vehicles fuel mileage and maintenance. On December 27, I paid $1.45 per gallon. Yes, that is correct $1.45. What I find amazing is that the average price per gallon didn't really start skyrocketing until after the democrats took control of the house and senate by 2006. Trust me, I am not a republican or a democrat, I think they both lie through their teeth, but I do find it odd that a party so intent on taking power was in office at the time when gas prices soared and their opposition was occupying the White House.

I paid $2.49 on December 28, 2009 and $2.98 on December 30, 2010, then for the bulk of 2011 it was $3.00 or higher (topping at $3.85 on May 11, 2011).

I keep these numbers so I don't have to go by what the media says I paid, trust me, they never get those numbers right.
  • Hawkeye 2012/02/16 21:05:42
    Anybody remember this picture her3 gas was $3.05. Dem's attacking Bush on hig...
    Hawkeye
    +3
    Oh.. I remember.. It was Democrat after Democrat in front of the cameras DAILY bashing Bush for the price of gas.. Under a DEMOCRAT,, it's story after story about how HIGH gas prices are GOOD for the Country..

And it's NOT just about the price of osa.. Almost everybody knows and remembers who the Democrats were during the Bush/Republican years but you know.. JUST for the hell of it,, I ask people who the Speaker of the House was before 2006 and almost NOBODY knows.. They have to look it UP..

the FACT is that Democrats get ALMOST as much,, if not MORE,, airtime when there's a Republican President then they do when it's a Democrat.. To be SURE,, REID and PELOSI were out there DAILY slandering Bush when HE was President.. You HARDLY see them at ALL these days..

Fact IS,, JUST like the Community Agitater in Chief,, THEY aren't NEARLY as good at answering questions as they are at DEMANDING answers...
  • ed 2012/02/16 20:18:58
  • CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/02/16 20:13:34
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Obama WANTS high oil prices. 1. He wants fossil energy costs high to promote green energy 2. He wants the economy to collapse so as to bring about a more socialist government, and 3. High oil prices support his Muslim and socialist brothers in the Middle East and South America,
  • HOMBRE CMackle... 2012/02/16 20:16:02
    HOMBRE
    +3
    Its right in front of everybody to see. I think some people have caught but so many think Obama is their God and will take them to happy land.
  • CMackle... HOMBRE 2012/02/16 20:22:20
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Yep. Obama's puppet master, Soros, is making millions (if not billions) through Brazil's Petrobras Corp. Obama shut down the deep rigs in the Gulf so they could be sent to Brazil.
  • HOMBRE CMackle... 2012/02/16 20:40:41
    HOMBRE
    +2
    What Really gets me is Brazil signs contract with China for the oil.
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/02/16 18:27:28
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    With the NATIONAL DEBT of THIS PRESENT Administration, "They" are saying now that it may not go back to ONLY AS FAR as Bush anymore; but it may even go back farther than Grover Cleveland (2nd) . . . And further more, at the Enormous Rate that this guy is spending, by the time that he is Sworn Into Office for this 2nd Term, he may have the National Debt peaking even farther back, such that it may even go beyond the Lincoln Administration . . . At one of his $100,000 A Plate Luncheons in the Rich, Oil-Production Enthusiasts' City of San Francisco, today, the main Topic-of-Discussion is supposed to be about re-introducing another Plan for Solyndra!! I know now why some people seem to think that this guy didn't even finish High School, since no alumnus of Harvard or Yale has ever even heard of him . . .
  • Dave**Gay for Girls** 2012/02/16 17:57:14
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/02/16 17:51:57
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +3
    Waiting for the swarm from the ignominiously named intelligent progressives. An oxymoron unto itself.

It's BOOOOOOSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH'S fault.

The teflon president sure enjoys a total loyalty on the part of his brain dead followers.
  • Karen E 2012/02/16 17:45:13
    Karen E
    +4
    heck i have to sleep in my waders with the bs ovimitron.......it already costs 40 bucks to fill my tank. half my daughter's pay check goes for gas to get to and from work.
  • Lerro D... Karen E 2012/02/16 18:37:54
    Lerro DeHazel
    +2
    We have a friend who lives in New Hampshire, and she just returned from Saudi Arabia where gasoline was a whopping 25-cents per gal.; American Dollar. Can you just imagine that for 40-bucks you could get 160-gallons of gasoline?? . . .
  • Karen E Lerro D... 2012/02/16 19:04:17
    Karen E
    +4
    wow, i could take the route 66 trip again......in my brothers winnebago...........
  • Lerro D... Karen E 2012/02/16 20:07:35
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    You would need a Winnebago or even a Tanker Truck just to haul around your fuel supply from one fill-up. My brother & I had a Conoco Service Station on the Texas Gulf Coast, just south of Houston, in 1967, and we sold the Regular gas which was 31.9 cents; and the Premium, which was at 36.9 cents. We were not in any of the "Gas War" locations where the prices were as low as 16.9, but mostly hovered around 21.9 in the Southeast part of Houston, at that particular time. I couldn't imagine anyone ever saying something like; "Johnson sucks since gasoline is not a nickel a gallon!"
  • ed Lerro D... 2012/02/16 20:16:33
    ed
    +2
    25 cents a gallon I remember when it was that low here boy have the times ever changed.
  • BoJay 2012/02/16 17:28:00
    BoJay
    +4
    Funny how this Jackass gets away with half this crap. There is only one way Obama, plans on making people buy his Chevy Volt by making gas so high you can't buy it, thus killing the trucking industry, and any recovery.
    http://www.zazzle.com/obama_a...
  • HOMBRE BoJay 2012/02/16 17:31:10
    HOMBRE
    +1
    I have a link from China. They did a study on electric cars causing more harm to the enviormrnt then helping.

http://healthland.time.com/20...
  • BoJay HOMBRE 2012/02/16 17:37:41
    BoJay
    +1
    Great reply, your absolutly right. Electric comes from coal with coal fired plants Obama, says he's for Nuke Plants, and or clean coal, but fact is his EPA distroys any chance of that happening.
  • cindy 2012/02/16 17:03:30
    cindy
    +3
    The democrats are HYPOCRITE LIARS !!!! Nothing Less !
  • Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR 2012/02/16 16:57:50
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +6
    Obama is the reson for the HIGH gas prices!! Hell for that matter Obama is the reson EVERYTHING IS SO HIGH!! HOW OBAMAS GREEN ENERGY WORKS HOW OBAMAS GREEN ENERGY WORKS OBAMA MAKES GAS PRICES HIGHER OBAMA MAKES GAS PRICES HIGHER
  • HOMBRE Cindy64... 2012/02/16 17:05:23
    HOMBRE
    +6
    I hear their some tapes coming out on his past. Should be interesting to find out who the anti guy is
  • Cindy64... HOMBRE 2012/02/16 17:16:19
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +5
    Rally wow I can not wait as well!!
  • Paige Cindy64... 2012/02/16 17:21:37
    Paige
    +5
    LOL!!!!
  • Cindy64... Paige 2012/02/17 22:04:21 (edited)
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +1
    I thought you would like that lol lol
  • Old Salt Cindy64... 2012/02/16 17:34:31 (edited)

2014/07/29 19:02:12