The Spirit of Capitalism And The Religion of Dehumanization

Samantha 2012/05/29 14:24:47
The individual person is no more. The independent, creative, personal, individual life exists only as romantic idea: a quality of life lived only the imagination of fantasy, movies, literature and myth. The real existence of the individual is that of a thing, a statistic, a quantum of labor, and market unit of disposable income. Capitalism's quest for profit and consumerism ethos has reduced every aspect of society- family, community, church, culture- to pure economic function and thereby defining what is reasonable, real, possible, good, and permissible. Theodor Adorno said of modern Capitalist society, "Life does not live."

Capitalistic society has no real respect for what are uniquely human qualities and a priori destroys any basis for valuing personhood because of its ideological view that everything is analyzable, manipulability, and can be controlled by technological reason. Facts replace values, and goal setting replace individual purpose and meaning. This materialistic presupposition helped achieve Capitalist domination over all aspects of society by utilizing mathematical science, technology, and capitalist economics as its industrial-educational institutions formulated them. Philosophy, History, Psychology, Sociology, Art, and Literature are given lesser status, but still are forced into a positivist scientific model.

"Economic struggle takes precedence over all other societal concerns. The ethos of struggle for economic survival overtakes every other individual human concern, even in an affluent society. 'Things' are awarded rights and privilege and are the truly valued members of society. War as economic competition between every person is the first principle of community and is played out repeatedly in all other human relationships. Society is divided by vocation and then divided by class. Labor must battle against Capital. Wage earner is pitted against manager. Emigrants are in struggle against natural citizens. Renter is against owner. Family is against family. Woman is against woman. Man is against man. The Other becomes the means for the Self which requires necessarily the negation of the Other. So all relations with the Other is a relation with the enemy thereby transforming society into a contest of tyrannies. And even time itself is divided between free creative time and wage earning time . Every economic relationship inherently destroys any natural, or organic tendency to form community. The spirit of Capitalism encourages, rewards, and perpetuates through this social-Darwinist model of struggle sociopathic and antisocial behavior of every conceivable kind throughout civil society." (Aggressiveness in Advanced Industrial Society, Herbert Marcuse).

Faith and the Will to Power:

Ron Suskind quoting a Bush aide in an interview:

''We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.'' (Ron Suskind interview)

Read More: http://www.oldamericancentury.org/whitepapers/defi...

• Reichstolz 2012/05/29 14:38:41
    Reichstolz
    +3
    "Capitalistic society has no real respect for what are uniquely human qualities"- Really, name me one nation in world history that has performed better to raise standard of living for all citizens than the US.
    Social Darwinism, funny, it is called personal responsibility and not expecting someone else to provide a life for you.

• Cliff 2012/05/29 19:11:22
    Cliff
    If you really want to become a cog in the wheel and a slave to the state, socialism is the best way to go.
  • Samantha Cliff 2012/06/01 14:57:42
    Samantha
    I can see you don't know much about socialism or the fact that you're a citizen of a country that's been socialistic, in many respects, for some time.
  • Cliff Samantha 2012/06/01 18:14:59
    Cliff
    I suspect you are missing some real basic understanding of socialism
  • Philo-Publius 2012/05/29 16:49:23
    Philo-Publius
    Cosigned.
  • Razoreye001 2012/05/29 16:21:40
    Razoreye001
    I think capitalism in an extreme is bad for anyone so thats why I support a binary economy.
  • darcie lamar 2012/05/29 15:25:15
    darcie lamar
    +1
    Many businesses are small, owned by individuals who work 60 hours a week and want to achieve a good life. I know hundreds of "capitalist" who have used their unique ideas to start a business. They create jobs, expand and create community within our town. Most of my customers are repeat customers and we do have a sense of community. The small business owner is almost always supporting something for the good of our town. You must live in a bubble if you haven't seen this happen in your town.
  • Samantha darcie ... 2012/05/29 17:15:54
    Samantha
    Unregulated capitalism is a disaster, and the end does not justify the means.
  • JoeBtfsplk Samantha 2012/05/29 17:30:47
    JoeBtfsplk
    +1
    Samantha, you are not very specific, but your platitudes are plentiful.
  • Samantha JoeBtfsplk 2012/05/29 17:32:17
    Samantha
    Unfettered capitalism has been one of the most anti-human developments in human history.
  • JoeBtfsplk Samantha 2012/05/29 17:37:48
    JoeBtfsplk
    Again, you are not being specific. How has this affected your life? Do you give up all things material?
  • Samantha JoeBtfsplk 2012/05/29 17:52:21 (edited)
    Samantha
    Seriously, I think the whole American consumerism mentality is terrible. How many hours of television/radio time is devoted to advertisers attempting to convince Americans to purchase things they don't need?

I was taught, first by my parents and my grandparents after the untimely death of my parents, that human relationships are far more important than piling up personal possessions. Have you ever seen a U-Haul trailer being towed by a hearse?

Of course, I purchase some items. I need a computer for college; I admit to buying books because I love to read. However, I drive a car that was my mother's car. It's a restored VW Beetle from the 1970s; I can't justify spending $20K or 30K or 40K for a car.

I expect that, next, you may comment that I don't have any money. Well, in part, that's true. However, when I'm 25, I'll have more than enough money to live for the rest of my life (some of that money is now paying for my college education and some living expenses). I'd rather spent money for important things like, for example, paying for my grandparents recent vacation in Ireland. Those memories will last a lifetime and are priceless.

One other aspect of American consumerism is totally damaging to American society. It's the idea of instant gratification and the pro...

One other aspect of American consumerism is totally damaging to American society. It's the idea of instant gratification and the proliferation of credit cards. On the first day of school at any college in the United States, there are tables where credit card companies are peddling credit cards. The worst part is they're issued to so many college kids who have no financial responsibility and it's the beginning of lifetime debt.

If there's an item I would like to purchase, I don't fall into the credit card trap. I save until I have money for it. When I earn my Ph.D. and begin a career, I don't want to begin my working life with huge debt.

The point is capitalism isn't the "pure blessing" so many on the right and left claim it is. It often has a very negative side especially when regulations are lacking or, worse, not enforced.
  • JoeBtfsplk Samantha 2012/05/29 18:04:36
    JoeBtfsplk
    Good for you in general. We agree that credit is a bane to society when it is abused.
    I too was taught the value of a dollar.
    Here's hoping you succeed in whatever endeavor you choose!
  • Samantha JoeBtfsplk 2012/06/01 14:58:39
    Samantha
    +1
    Thank you. Whatever happened to saving for those special purchases. With credit cards, Americans have instant gratification. That's not necessarily a good thing.
  • JoeBtfsplk Samantha 2012/06/01 15:13:49
    JoeBtfsplk
    Trophies for everyone and there are no losers - "your special" - indoctrination/brainwashing - public schools/universities.

I own one credit card.

I have never bought anything on credit.
  • JoeBtfsplk JoeBtfsplk 2012/06/01 15:15:48
    JoeBtfsplk
    Well; except for a house. Luckily that was in CA. during a prosperous period.
  • Samantha JoeBtfsplk 2012/06/01 15:16:30 (edited)
    Samantha
    If you made one purchase on a credit card, you've purchased something on credit. That's why it's called a "credit" card.

It's amazing how quickly conservatives resort to demeaning public schools and universities; it's an example of the anti-education infection of the right.

Some of the best colleges/universities in the United States are public universities and students from all over the world want to be students at those schools.
  • JoeBtfsplk Samantha 2012/06/01 15:18:28
    JoeBtfsplk
    call it what you will - but it's not on credit terms when you use your credit card to pay in full.

Nothing demeaning except the effect it has on the children who believe the indoctrination.

Actually it is SAD!
  • darcie ... Samantha 2012/05/29 17:42:07
    darcie lamar
    The end for most of us is employing people, providing a service or good to the general public and not living off the government as we work and make a decent living. Would you prefer people join the 99% and protest - leaving destruction and filth in our towns? I'm very proud that I have the freedom to be creative and start multiple businesses. If I get rich, great. So far so good and I, like millions of others have helped others along the way become successful too.
  • Samantha darcie ... 2012/06/01 15:07:06 (edited)
    Samantha
    Today, unfortunately, corporations care only about their greed. While millions of Americans are unemployed, corporations sit on billions of dollars which, of course, is directly opposed to what conservatives claim will happen when corporations and the wealthy are given billions of dollars in tax cuts.

http://www.nationofchange.org...

“The richest individuals and corporations are really good at building up fortunes. They’re even better at building up their job creator myth.”
  • darcie ... Samantha 2012/06/01 19:50:36
    darcie lamar
    Corporations are in business to make a profit. That's smart. They also employ people offer benefits and promotions. There is nothing wrong with making money. You are brainwashed.
  • JoeBtfsplk darcie ... 2012/05/29 17:30:04
    JoeBtfsplk
    Samantha is not very specific, but platitudes are plentiful.
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/05/29 15:15:28
  • Grabitz 2012/05/29 14:46:42
    Grabitz
    +1
    I believe capitalism works very well if contained , being let lose combining capitalism with communism such as American corporations are doing today only puts the worker out of work in this country but doing a world of good for the communist .
  • Reichstolz 2012/05/29 14:38:41
    Reichstolz
    +3
  • Samantha Reichstolz 2012/05/29 17:18:42
    Samantha
    How many government subsidies do you use?
  • Reichstolz Samantha 2012/05/30 02:01:25
    Reichstolz
    NONE. But I can tell you I have plenty of my labor confiscated to pay for yours.
  • Samantha Reichstolz 2012/06/01 15:08:34
    Samantha
    I don't believe you. One of the largest government subsidies, primarily benefiting the wealthy and middle class, is the mortgage interest deduction. It's the largest housing subsidy in the world, and it's also one of the most socialistic.
  • Reichstolz Samantha 2012/06/01 15:10:27
    Reichstolz
    I have never borrowed money to purchase any of my homes, sorry, I am personally responsible and don't purchase anything unless I can afford it. And by afford it I don't mean make a payment.
  • Samantha Reichstolz 2012/06/01 15:12:10
    Samantha
    Another example. If you use the dependents deduction on your income tax return, you're taking advantage of a government subsidy paid for by all taxpayers including those without children. Again, it's a very socialistic policy.
  • Reichstolz Samantha 2012/06/01 15:18:04
    Reichstolz
    I structure my income and it is only reported as capital gains, I do not qualify for the dullard deductions. Keep trying, I know most, like you, are not used to communicating with someone who is personally responsible.
    Secondly, only those who pay federal income tax support the various dullard deductions you speak of, so in reality it is not ALL tax payers, 50% of this nation pays nothing in federal income tax.
    You can point out all the socialistic policies you would like, and from my assessment, they are the downfall of this nation.
  • JoeBtfsplk 2012/05/29 14:35:22
    JoeBtfsplk
    +1
    So, are you saying we should all succumb to Fascism, Marxism, Socialism, Communism?
  • Samantha JoeBtfsplk 2012/05/29 17:16:43
    Samantha
  • JoeBtfsplk Samantha 2012/05/29 17:27:06
    JoeBtfsplk
    Are you willing to sacrifice the ability to achieve ?

Every system has a potential to be hurtful to some, as there are bad apples in a barrel.

I would say we've regulated business. Monopolies etc. How much more are you proposing?
  • Samantha JoeBtfsplk 2012/05/29 17:36:10 (edited)
    Samantha
    Achieve what? Greater greed and more obscene profits at the sake of humanity?

I agree every system has its flaws; however, too many Americans are unwilling to seriously examine the flaws of capitalism and, especially, how unregulated capitalism has destroyed lives.

I propose a system where corporations are not classified as "people" and a system where corporations are free to make products, earn a profit but have societal responsibilities as well.

The problem with the "corporation is a person" crowd is they push that agenda but, at the same time, never require corporations to experience the consequences of bad decisions/behavior that conservatives demand of other Americans.
  • JoeBtfsplk Samantha 2012/05/29 17:41:21
    JoeBtfsplk
    I disagree. When corporations do bad things people don't buy their products. That's how it works.

Too many people are lazy and don't attempt to achieve what they are capable of, but rather exist on what the govt. is willing to dole to them via welfare, food stamps, etc. when it is a known fact that SOME of those people are 'working' the system.

Are you one of those? Do you contribute anything to society?

Have you started a business and employ people?

2014/04/17 04:09:03