The Signers of Declaration of Independence Paid the Price of Freedom With Personal and Financial Sacrifice!

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/04 05:15:20

Two-hundred-and-thirty-six years after members of the Second Continental Congress signed the Declaration of Independence, Americans will celebrate the nation’s birth on July 4 with barbecues and fireworks.

But the document that declared independence for the 13 American colonies from the tyranny of England’s King George III, signed by 56 men, was considered an act a treason by the crown and punishable by hanging. And the price for securing freedom for the newly minted republic required personal and financial sacrifice.

“For their dedication to the cause of independence, the signers risked loss of fortune, imprisonment, and death for treason,” states the biographies of the signers posted on the National Park Service website.

“Although none died directly at the hands of the British, the wife of one, Mrs. Francis Lewis, succumbed as a result of harsh prison treatment,” the websites says. “About one-third of the group served as militia officers, most seeing wartime action. Four of these men (Thomas Heyward, Jr. (South Carolina), Arthur Middleton (South Carolina), Edward Rutledge (South Carolina), and George Walton (Georgia), as well as Richard Stockton, were taken captive.”

“The homes of nearly one-third of the signers were destroyed or damaged, and the families of a few were scattered when the British pillaged or confiscated their estates,” the National Park Service site states.

The men – chosen to represent their states at the Continental Congress because of their achievements and positions – were lawyers, doctors, merchants, farmers and politicians. They ranged in education from being graduates of Harvard and Princeton to self-taught and one – George Taylor of Pennsylvania – arrived in this country as an indentured servant, according to the Park Service.

The signers ranged in age from 26 (Edward Rutledge of South Carolina) to 70 (Benjamin Franklin), but the bulk were in their 30s or 40s, the Park Service biographies state.

“Except for Charles Carroll (Maryland), a Roman Catholic, and a few Deists, every one subscribed to Protestantism,” the website says.

Two of the signers went on to be president of the United States -- Thomas Jefferson and John Adams -- and two others, Samuel Chase and James Wilson, served on the Supreme Court. Others served in Congress, as governors and diplomats.

Perhaps the final words on the Declaration itself provide the most succinct description of the courageous men who gave much more than a signature to secure the future of the country:

“And for the support of this Declaration with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.”

Read More: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/signers-declaratio...

• Franklin WhereIs... 2012/07/04 12:47:52
    Franklin
    +2
    LOL- we can only wonder how it will all work out , or just wait and see how it unfolds when the shooting starts ! Liberals had to divide this nation to gain control over it , to bad for them the rip they started can not be undone http://righttruth.typepad.com... america divided
  • Elleryqueen 2012/07/04 05:58:33
    Elleryqueen
    +11
    Probably one and all are spinning in their graves over what has taken/is taking place with a president, et al who hate this country and the Constitution.
  • Red_Horse 2012/07/04 05:48:52
  • Franklin Red_Horse 2012/07/04 12:59:17
    Franklin
    +2
    nice day dream but I don't see America coming together again - we did that when we invaded Iraq but now the liberals have worked their "magic" and turned the hate back on this nation ...we are divided and will never be united again america divided
  • Red_Horse Franklin 2012/07/04 16:36:09 (edited)
  • Franklin Red_Horse 2012/07/06 12:44:50
    Franklin
    +2
    sorry if you took me wrong - I was saying its a day dream to think the whole country will pull together ...my bet is that we will break up into 3 nations (I did post that during Obama's campaign) ...don't get me wrong i would be happy to see us pulled back from the edge but I don't believe that can or will happen
    did you see Obama shift his position on China in Ohio yesterday ??? Now he is for sanctions (he says) after years of claiming conservatives where wrong about the trade war ...but i am sure it was just a speech and he will not do anything . LOL
  • Red_Horse Franklin 2012/07/06 14:43:02 (edited)
  • U-Dog 2012/07/04 05:45:42
    U-Dog
    +10
    Excellent post! It is a sad fact that most people couldn't name more than a couple of the signers much less tell you anything about them.

happy 4th
  • Don Leuty 2012/07/04 05:37:54
    Don Leuty
    +14
    Sadly, we have come full circle and are placed in the same situation. The enemy has become Washington instead of London.
  • Stevern... Don Leuty 2012/07/04 05:43:58
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +11
    And now us Americans who are “suspicious of centralized federal authority, reverent of individual liberty” are now deemed to be the new domestic threats by our government!

http://www.infowars.com/homel...
  • Don Leuty Stevern... 2012/07/04 05:57:16
    Don Leuty
    +10
    Our three most serious domestic threats are Barack 0bama, Janet Napolitano, and Harry Reed. Pelosi has been reduced to a second-chair player.

The Department of Homeland Security stands as a monument to the words of Benjamin Franklin: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
  • Pedro D... Don Leuty 2012/07/04 08:24:46
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +7
    Don't forget Mr Fix it, Eric Holder. When that occasional suicide, plane crash, cover up, or trumped up criminal charges are needed.
  • Don Leuty Pedro D... 2012/07/04 08:28:08
    Don Leuty
    +5
    He's on the top ten hit list.

Cut of the head of the snake and the body just thrashes.
  • Franklin Pedro D... 2012/07/04 13:03:35
    Franklin
    +2
    he is just taking up where Clinton left off ...LOL
  • Franklin Stevern... 2012/07/04 13:02:52
    Franklin
    +3
    Obama has prepared the military to keep the power the FED has stolen LCS drone the "new" military is watching US not "them"
  • BifDaddy Don Leuty 2012/07/04 12:43:51
    BifDaddy
    +4
    Spot on dude...spot on.
  • MarinerFH 2012/07/04 05:36:22
  • Striker MarinerFH 2012/07/06 23:37:58 (edited)
    Striker
    +2
    The old grey leaders, they ain't what they used to be!
  • MarinerFH Striker 2012/07/06 23:49:40
  • The Birdman ~ PWCM~JLA 2012/07/04 05:33:05
    The Birdman ~ PWCM~JLA
    +13
    Too bad we have to go over 200 years back in time to find politicians with honor and integrity anymore!
  • Don Leuty The Bir... 2012/07/04 08:34:47
    Don Leuty
    +5
    It's not George Bush's fault or 0bamas fault. It is our own. At the dawn of last century, the Constitution was on everyone's conversation list. At the beginning of this century, who's doing what to whom in Hollywood or New York that dominates conversation.
  • The Bir... Don Leuty 2012/07/04 08:50:58
    The Birdman ~ PWCM~JLA
    +4
    well of course! This era is one of rapid fire information, whereas in the beginning of the last century information was actually word of mouth! Todays generation is conditioned to take what they want in the way of info, and gleen only what they can use, and sometimes only if it suits their ideology! Too much liberalism and indoctrination, not enough moral fiber in their daily diet of info! Who's doing who is more useful to todays generation versus the generation that remembers a more subtle time of prosperity and are now thinking how hard it will be for the children they've raised or are raising now! In tough times, the easy way is usually the wrong way, but it is the road most will travel!
  • Don Leuty The Bir... 2012/07/04 09:11:08
    Don Leuty
    +4
    The fact that we have delegated the education of our children to so-called "liberals" who are more interested in the collective just might have somebearing, too. They are spoon-feeding this drivel instead of guiding children to think for themselves -- because it IS the easy way out.

Civilization as we know it is poised to die off in a a couple of weeks. Lack of preparation will do in the first half withing a week. The gene pool will be far too shallow within two.
  • The Bir... Don Leuty 2012/07/04 09:16:19
  • Don Leuty The Bir... 2012/07/04 09:26:07
    Don Leuty
    +2
    How many people do you know with at least 72 hours of critical supplies? Those with those supplies are at risk of being killed for them. Bullets will become more valuable than gold. Within a very short period, we will have returned to a tribal existence. The only survivors won't be worried about having an iphone but how I eat.
  • The Bir... Don Leuty 2012/07/04 09:32:19 (edited)
    The Birdman ~ PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I have been prepped for quite a long time, after all, I live in earthquake country! As for defense, hell, if they get past the dogs, they have to deal with colonel Colt and co! But what I want to know is how come you figure it's weeks and not months or years?
  • Don Leuty The Bir... 2012/07/04 09:52:22
    Don Leuty
    +3
    Recent news releases have pointed to surveys of preparedness. You and I are in a tiny minority. NatGeo, the History channel, and H2 have had a number of doom and gloom documentaries that point to survival rates of modern catastrophes.

We have become so dependent on technology, that the loss of the power grid spells disaster. If we were hit by an asteroid the size of Icarus, we would become just like the dinosaurs. What remains after the impact would in all likelihood be without power. No power, no communication, refrigeration, or pumping capacity. Once supplies are gone. The vast majority will simple die off either from hunger or disease from rotting corpses.

The cities take the first and worst hit. It would not take an extinction level event to destroy civilization. Only something dire enough to drive us back to the stone age. Get through to another growing season is difficult at best.

It is our own ignorance created by our genius that will snake bite us.

TTFN
  • Franklin Don Leuty 2012/07/04 13:13:06
    Franklin
    +2
    agreed ! More than half the population will starve to death waiting for the power to come back on LOL
  • Don Leuty Franklin 2012/07/04 15:22:54
    Don Leuty
    +2
    You got it. Of course, I've painted the worst picture. Getting through a complete crop cycle will be hardest for those living above the sun belt in our hemisphere. Game will be hard to come by very quickly.

A loss of the power grid of a week means rapid spoilage of what most city slickers hold for storage. Unfortunately for them, some people have become so dependent on Uncle Sam they'll be on death's door before they realize no one can come.
  • Franklin Don Leuty 2012/07/06 12:50:19
    Franklin
    +2
    sad thing is I have relatives who work for the government that have said their back up plan is to come here and have me take care of them ...they all have NEW CARS and much better houses than me but it all belongs to the bank and even tho they tell me all the time how "wrong" i am for being a conservative they expect to come here and have me feed and house them if-when they screw up ! libs- are crazy!
  • Don Leuty Franklin 2012/07/10 14:34:38
    Don Leuty
    I hear that!

Far too many live like the government. Borrow yourself wealthy and spend yourself rich don't work.

More people should listen to Dave Ramsey than anyone inside the Washington DC Beltway.
  • Franklin Don Leuty 2012/07/04 13:12:11
    Franklin
    +2
    I know lots - anyone who is conservative and lives down here has a month on hand at all times ! Florida huricain
  • Don Leuty Franklin 2012/07/04 15:29:46
    Don Leuty
    +1
    Great idea. The real problem will be protecting it for your family. I have a few thousand rounds stored up, but it is nearing time to start shooting a lot of it up and reloading.

Reloading supplies seem to be encountering more and more restictions. Each time I stock up, more red tape. I have even resorted to more off-site storage since the record keeping escalated.
  • Franklin Don Leuty 2012/07/06 12:51:49
    Franklin
    +2
    I have a stash and a network of friends who can reload in bulk when needed - its would cost to much for me to reload all the sizes i have and need -
  • Don Leuty Franklin 2012/07/10 14:42:54
    Don Leuty
    Good plan.
  • Franklin Don Leuty 2012/07/04 13:09:55
    Franklin
    +1
    its not going to be that bad - people like me will take pity on a few liberal losers and feed them . LOL
  • Don Leuty Franklin 2012/07/04 15:38:56
    Don Leuty
    +2
    Scared animals often bite the hand that feeds them. Panic and hunger reduce men to animals rapidly. Look how fast the liberals went rabid when things like tuition rates and other non-essentials rose.

I hear far more liberals touting revolution and violence than I do conservatives. To even disclose that you have stores can be a death sentence for you and your family. Take care, my friend. You will not be in Kansas any more.
  • Franklin Don Leuty 2012/07/06 12:53:28
    Franklin
    +3
    you take care as well- like i said i have a head start , I live in a poor town so I have had years of protecting what they think I have ! LOL
  • Don Leuty Franklin 2012/07/10 14:45:55
    Don Leuty
    Another term of 0bama and we will all live in a poor town. His goal appears to be good old soviet style uniform poverty... except of those in charge.
  • Franklin The Bir... 2012/07/04 13:07:16
    Franklin
    +2
    if only we had a national system to teach children US history and its relevance to them and their future / if only we had a way of teaching them things that would unit them under nation pride for the common good ...but that just a day dream we can't afford something like that when we have to pay for the education system and it NEEDS to teach diversity and globalism LOL

2014/11/23 22:28:15