The Robin Hood Of 2010 Is In Shackles: Does He Deserve To Be A Legend?

Futureman 2010/07/13 19:34:40
Related Topics: FBI, Facebook, Crime, YouTube
Yes, what The Barefoot Bandit did was incredible! He deserves the legend status he has.
No, Colton Harris-Moore is a criminal. He deserves to be treated like a criminal.
I think that Colton Harris-Moore (The Barefoot Bandit)...
He is known by his thousands of followers as The Barefoot Bandit, but his name is Colton Harris-Moore, and he's just a 19 year-old kid from Camano Island, Washington. Just recently, after two years living as a fugitive, Colton was taken into custody in the Bahamas where he was finally found. He is led by the police with shackles around his wrists and ankles - he wears no shoes.

What's so remarkable about this kid is how he evaded the law, dodging even the FBI, and lived for so long with his only profession being a thief. He stole food and water, cars, boats, identifications, and even planes. Harris-Moore reportedly stole up to five planes and flew them with no former flight training. All these amazing things he did, he taught himself how to do. And there's a kind of brilliance in that.

Still, Colton broke the law, many, many times. He is now being prosecuted in the Bahamas where he could face up to three months in jail and then deported to the United States where he could face up to 13 years in jail. And despite the fact that he has almost 100,000 followers on facebook, T-shirts with his face on them, and songs written about him; being a criminal means you're a bad person. Right?

His mother, who upon hearing that her son may have stolen planes and flew them in order to flee the police, said, "I hope to hell he stole those airplanes - I would be so proud...But put in there that I want him to wear a parachute next time.”

Colton's Mom, Pam Kohler, is now being represented by O. Yale Lewis, the same attorney who handles the business affairs of Courtney Love and Jimi Hendrix's estate. They're talking movie rights.

My question now, after visiting The Barefoot Bandit's official fan club web page, is should we glorify this kid for being a criminal? In his defense, he never hurt anyone directly, and he grew up in an abusive situation - his step-father was a violent drug-user. And based on the remarkable feats of crime that Harris-Moore was able to perform, it makes you think that perhaps in another life, he could have been a real life James Bond. But Colton isn't James Bond, he's a thief. Should we really be turning him into a legend?

Tags: colton harris-moore, the barefoot bandit, criminal, custody, 2010, july, pam kohler, movie rights, legend, stolen, planes, bahamas, nassau, washington, thief.

• +velouria+ 2010/07/15 20:39:37
    Yes, what The Barefoot Bandit did was incredible! He deserves the legend stat...
    +velouria+
    +6
    wow all of you honestly make me so sick. you are typical uninspired people. you live just on the surface of humanity. you are shallow and simple minded fools. did you even look to read his biography. the law is the law blah blah blah. this kid had a horrible life. his mother never took care of him he didnt have a father. she is a total leach. anyways this kid is incredible to me. he stands for self preservation and what intelligence really can help you to achieve. The kid has done pretty mind blowing things over 80 % of us can't even dream about. not only that but did you know he is 6ft 5 '' this says a lot about this kid. that his strong will to live has had such an effect on him that he was also able to physically and mentally grow. this kid is amazing. you all are lame

• Common Sense 2010/07/29 18:32:05
  • wpsark 2010/07/28 20:18:57 (edited)
    wpsark
    Why call him "Robin Hood", he's just a hood but we should put his talent to use somehow...Anyone ever heard of Frank Abagnale, JR

• rhen74 2010/07/27 16:57:24
    No, Colton Harris-Moore is a criminal. He deserves to be treated like a crimi...
    rhen74
    +1
    I don't get the Robin Hood status. He never helped anyone and only did it for the personal thrill. I give him credit that he was very clever and makes for a great story, but in the end, he was just a thief.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2010/07/27 04:01:53
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +1
    He is awesome, a true hero. This kid stood up to society and really has some cajones. His story reminds me of "Catch Me If You Can."
  • jzambada 2010/07/27 03:54:40
    jzambada
    +1
    was wrong for doing what he did, but i still admire it. i know it may look bad to glorify him, but really, i'm just glorifying a brilliant mind supported by the guts to do whatever the hell he wanted. sure, he should serve time. what he did was insanely wrong. but that's not gonna stop me from thinking he's amazing and deserves all the adoration society is showering him with.
  • volley15 2010/07/25 03:00:42
    volley15
    +2
    Could be REALLY useful to the FBI and CIA. Imagine what he could do as a spy! Take advantage of his abilities! He's obviously intelligent as he was able to self teach himself all that he has by such a young age. Don't let that go to waste.
  • JCD aka "biz" 2010/07/24 16:30:44
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    I think he should be hired by the FBI, just as some firms hire (former) hackers. The FBI needs smart people.
  • LuridLolita 2010/07/24 16:11:09
    LuridLolita
    +1
    is not a thing like Robin Hood. That being said he's amazing.
  • aSeattleConservative 2010/07/24 16:05:48
    aSeattleConservative
    +2
    It's unfortunate that many are seeing this two-bit thief in the same light as Robin Longstride.

harris-moore criminal deserves treated criminal two-bit thief light robin longstride
  • ruby aSeattl... 2010/07/24 18:05:13
    ruby
    A Conservative in Seattle? How is that working out for you? I am in Eastern Washington.
  • aSeattl... ruby 2010/07/24 19:45:45
    aSeattleConservative
    +2
    Sometimes I feel like a pearl in a "full" toilet bowl. I only hope that I'm somewhere else when God decides to "flush".
  • wpsark aSeattl... 2010/07/28 20:23:10
  • Aaron~The Guardian Angel 2010/07/24 01:59:28
    Aaron~The Guardian Angel
    Sure!
  • GOODBYE SODAHEAD 2010/07/23 20:55:46 (edited)
    GOODBYE SODAHEAD
    +1
    It doesn't matter what he did with what he STOLE! It's not his to take. This is nothing more than a class envy rallying topic. Evil rich people Vs poor little kid with a horrible life. Screw him! If i work hard for something, I'm not letting some PUNK get away with taking it!
  • 1206720 2010/07/23 18:53:52
  • laureenf 2010/07/21 16:37:06
    laureenf
    +2
    Maybe he didn't 'hurt' anyone physically but he has destroyed property and taken things that weren't his. I do tho' blame his mother somewhat as it sounds like she lauded and encouraged his stealing other peoples' property and, in many cases causing damage and monetary loss for the owners of said property and the insurance companies that had to pay out for the damage claims. He deserves to be punished but his mom should be charged with aiding and abeting him plus, child endangerment, neglect and encouraging the deliquency of a minor.
  • LuridLo... laureenf 2010/07/24 16:13:03
    LuridLolita
    +1
    I definitely would have been proud as well. The kid is amazing.
  • laureenf LuridLo... 2010/07/24 21:44:27
    laureenf
    +1
    If the ability to steal and destroy anothers property and elude capture for a couple of years is 'amazing' and worthy of pride then, you might want to get out more often...there are thieves and murderers all over the big, wide, world that haven't been caught yet either...so many proud moms and friends cheering them on....maybe you too can have YOUR property or life taken and can add to all that pride and amazement!
  • LuridLo... laureenf 2010/07/25 02:52:54 (edited)
    LuridLolita
    Thieves and murderers are usually more interesting than any common bloke. I'd much rather be murdered by someone interesting than have to deal with more of the uninteresting bastards I've met in my day.
  • laureenf LuridLo... 2010/07/25 08:17:49
    laureenf
    +2
    good luck with that....
  • cinseattle61 2010/07/21 14:50:49
    cinseattle61
    +4
    Robin Hood!? Really do you even know the story of RH? Kids a punk thief that should go to jail period! Oh and growing up in a bad home does not give you the right to steal.
  • PDenoli 2010/07/21 13:21:18
    PDenoli
    +3
    Oh, absolutely! They should build a statue in his honor. Also, the jackass who stole the radio out of my car should have a parade and a street named after him. And then the kid on the corner selling bags of "oregano" should get the key to the city.... and new 9mm, his is looking pretty ragged.

Hooray for robbery! Huzzah!
  • LeAnn 2010/07/21 02:13:35
    LeAnn
    Uh but isn't there already a movie like that about a real life person...'Catch me if you Can?' Sounds similar. I'm not getting the whole Robin Hood thing. This kid is obviously smart though...maybe they should do for him the same thing they did to the guy from catch me if you can (don't remember his name...Leonardo Dicaprio portrayed him though. )
  • Loctia 2010/07/20 21:05:21
    Loctia
    +1
    I don't think he's Robin Hood. But I don't think he was doing it for selfish reasons either. I think this is the case of a bored kid who wanted to see how long he could avoid trouble while doing some pretty incredible things. Should he get some punishment? Yes. But for what he did at such a young age, I think that it deserves looking beyond the simple criminal status and saying "Wow, that kid is kind of a badass."
  • wolfshadow 2010/07/20 13:14:24
    wolfshadow
    +4
    Where does the Robin Hood reference come into play? I see that he stole... but gave to himself... that isn't Robin Hood... thats just Robbing.

When you steal personal property from someone, that IS DIRECTLY hurting them. So he was a victim of bad parenting, so are lots of people... he chose his path, and it was a path of crime. I hope he doesn't spend 13 years in prison, but he needs to be punished, not celebrated.
  • G 2010/07/20 08:45:22
    G
    +4
    I don't get it. Did he give the stuff away? I don't see Robin Hood connection.
  • jeni 2010/07/20 01:29:14
    jeni
    +2
    I remember when this happened it was pretty impressive for his age, but the fact is he acted like a criminal and deserves to be treated like one... Even Robin Hood was a criminal, only difference is he gave to the poor... This kid just did it for attention.. We all have to over come difficulties in our lives, and yah some of us have been dealt a crappy hand, but you don't see EVERYONE that has had a crappy life go out and steal... Using his childhood as a way to justify his actions is naive and very ignorant
  • ɟʇʇoɔs 2010/07/20 00:39:54
    ɟʇʇoɔs
    If he was stealing to give to the poor, then yes, if he was stealing for selfish reasons then no.
  • Torchy 2010/07/19 20:36:39
    Torchy
    +2
    The stunts he pulled were James Bond-ish and ultimately pretty cool; but here's the difference: James Bond tries to stop the bad guys, he isn't one of them.

For all of you out there calling him a legend, think for two seconds, if you can manage it, and put yourselves in the shoes of those people whose homes he robbed. Or whose property he stole. Or maybe think about how horrible it must have been to find your identity compromised: do you realize how much red tape and paper work a person has to go through to get that back? What did he achieve other than notoriety for selfish reasons? What did he stand for that makes him such a hero?

Just because he was brilliant and came from a shady background doesn't excuse his behavior or make him a hero. It may make him interesting, but so are most of the serial killers and crime spree enthusiasts on Crime Library. It doesn't change what they did. Bonnie and Clyde were interesting too: they still robbed banks and shot innocents. Many people come from crappy homes and don't turn into criminals. This boy has no excuse for what he did and I hope he spends a decent amount of time in jail for it.
  • Miss Andrist 2010/07/18 22:03:19
    Miss Andrist
    +1
    ..is just another flash in the pan icon that will be forgotten in five years or less.
  • Gir 2010/07/18 01:58:35
    Gir
    I I think it's an amazing story, an amazing tribute to what human beings can accomplish. It's like...Adolf Hitler. Yes, he was a monster, but at the same time...it's amazing how far he came, from nothing to ruling and conquering several nations, to having the power to destroy nearly 11 million lives.

Now, I'm in no way likening the notoriety of Harris-Moore to that of Hitler, nor am I justifying the crimes of either, but...it's the same general vibe. Sure, it's not a heartfelt story or one of just moral values...but a good story regardless.
  • Johnnyknowvote 2010/07/18 01:04:39
    Johnnyknowvote
    +1
    Let the market decide. Remember the movie Catch Me if You Can? DeCapio and Hanks, great film!
    What the media sees as Robuinhood is a lie. Robin of Loxly was not anything like this clown.
  • Torchy jackola... 2010/07/19 20:40:29
    Torchy
    No kidding. Robin Hood stole from the rich to give to the poor. This kid just stole whatever he could get his hands on.
  • Jon 2010/07/17 15:51:01 (edited)
    Jon
    +1
    Just because what he did was "cool", doesn't mean it was right. This is reality, not the movies, people unfortunately can't tell the difference anymore. Imagine if one of those planes he flew, would have crashed into a crowded downtown area? Then would we be praising him...no. He's a criminal and should be charged as one. 13 years might be a bit much, hell that's more then some murderers get, but he should be punished.
  • Tucker 2010/07/16 16:51:32
  • Miss An... Tucker 2010/07/18 22:04:43
    Miss Andrist
    Apparently he flew quite well
    :P
  • itoldyouso 2010/07/16 00:07:08
    itoldyouso
    He's a criminal. Have'nt seen much in the news about him sharing his bootie. Regardless he broke the laws of our land and others now has to pay the price.
  • +velouria+ 2010/07/15 20:39:37
    +velouria+
    +6
  • Futureman +velouria+ 2010/07/15 21:12:04
    Futureman
    +2
    Hahaha, I like this a lot. Nicely put.

2014/11/23 18:54:43