The NEA has been working with the Obama Administration - Shouldn't there be a separation between the ARTS and Government? This organization is funded a whole lot by tax payer dollars.

NotWithoutAFight 2009/09/02 06:52:08
I think....
I think...
The National Endowment for the Arts should not be politicized. It should not be used as a propaganda arm of the US Administration.

From their homepage...
http://www.nea.gov/about/NCA/About_NCA.html

History and Purpose

The National Council on the Arts advises the Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, who also chairs the Council, on agency policies and programs. It reviews and makes recommendations to the Chairman on applications for grants, funding guidelines, and leadership initiatives.

The Council was established through the National Arts and Cultural Development Act of 1964, a full year before the federal agency was created by Congressional legislation. Its first members were appointed by President Lyndon Johnson and included noted artists such as Marian Anderson, Leonard Bernstein, Agnes de Mille, Richard Diebenkorn, Duke Ellington, Helen Hayes, Charlton Heston, Harper Lee, Gregory Peck, Sidney Poitier, Richard Rodgers, Rosalind Russell, David Smith, John Steinbeck, and Isaac Stern.

The National Foundation on the Arts and Humanities Act of 1965 established the National Endowment for the Arts and provided for 26 citizens to serve as advisors to the agency as members of the National Council on the Arts. Members are appointed by the President and approved by the Senate for six-year, staggered terms. In 1997, Congress enacted legislation that reduced the membership of the Council to 14 and required the appointment of an additional six members of Congress to serve in an ex officio, non-voting capacity for two-year terms.

The Presidential appointments, by law, are selected for their widely recognized knowledge of the arts or their expertise or profound interest in the arts. They have records of distinguished service or achieved eminence in the arts and are appointed so as to represent equitably all geographical areas of the country. Congressional members are appointed in the following manner: two by the Speaker of the House, one by the Minority Leader of the House, two by the Majority Leader of the Senate, and one by the Minority Leader of the Senate.
Roles and Functions

The major areas in which the Council advises the agency and its Chairman are:

* Applications for Federal grant funds recommended by advisory panels;
* Guidelines outlining funding categories, objectives, and eligibility;
* Leadership initiatives and partnership agreements with other agencies;
* Agency budget levels, allocations, and funding priorities;
* Policy directions involving Congressional legislation and other issues of importance to the arts nationally.

The Council also recommends individuals and organizations to receive the National Medal of Arts, a Presidential award in recognition of outstanding contributions to the arts in America.

Currently, Council meetings are convened for one-day sessions three times per year, usually on Fridays in March, July, and November. Meetings are held at the Nancy Hanks Center/Old Post Office Building in Washington, DC, and are open to the public. The day before the Council meeting, members are briefed by staff about the pending grant applications that they will consider, as well as the deliberations of the advisory panels that reviewed them. These informational sessions are closed to the public. Agendas are posted on the Web site....

• Bureauc 0Bamao 2009/09/03 02:06:16
    I think....
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    +5
    I was sickened when I learned about this conspiracy by obama's koolaid followers and the fact that my tax dollars are footing the bill really pisses me off. The left has figured out a way to control NPR, Air-America, PBS, the Universities, The books used in class rooms, The MSM, and the list is endless.

With all this brain washing going on at every level for the last four decades, there should not be one conservative left standing.

Imagine what the political landscape would look like if the playing field were actually level all this time.

It proves one thing, America is a Conservative Country.

• BlueMax372 2009/09/04 22:54:02
    I think....
    BlueMax372
    +2
    Personally, I think the NEA should be abolished. Please show me where in the Constitution funding for this is authorized!
  • NotWith... BlueMax372 2009/09/05 05:02:58
    NotWithoutAFight
    +2
    Shouldn't be there... Like all the other feel good crap we fund.
  • mr jiggs 2009/09/03 16:57:10
    I think...
    mr jiggs
    +3
    This is propaganda at it's best. I am sick to death that tax dollars are paying for this garbage. Is their ANYTHING this president isn't trying to control. I know I keep saying this but we need to get rid of a lot of Dems in 2010 and maybe just maybe it will be harder for him to pull this BS.
  • NotWith... mr jiggs 2009/09/04 05:29:16
    NotWithoutAFight
    +3
    You said it sweetie.
  • dzynrbob 2009/09/03 15:50:27
    I think...
    dzynrbob
    +3
    With all of the great wealth the entertainment industry has, and that is supposedly art, they should able to fund the NEA with relative ease. All they have to do is stop buying multi-million dollar mansions around the world and keep their American eaned dollars here at home. After all, the American consumer has made these people wealthy beyond their wildest dreams and they should be grateful........but they seldom show it. That way, our tax dollars could be used more efficiently.
  • DavE 2009/09/03 09:24:16
    I think....
    DavE
    +4
    Why should one penny of our tax dollars ever go to the NEA?
    We'd be better off without it.
    Same with a LOT of areas where our tax dollars should not be spent, especially at the Federal level.
  • NotWith... DavE 2009/09/04 05:29:56
    NotWithoutAFight
    +3
    I hear you there DavE!

And second it.
  • Christine/Rest in peace Pet... 2009/09/03 05:32:18
    I think....
    Christine/Rest in peace Peter Br
    +4
    I was so angry when I heard about this, and listened to the tape. As a former bit actress, I respect the right of performers to voice their opinions. However, for the last couple of decades artists seem to think they own the opinion market and are busy showing us how they know best. This does not belong in the NEA, and taxpayers should not be paying for propaganda.
  • NotWith... Christi... 2009/09/03 05:42:32
    NotWithoutAFight
    +3
    Thank you Christine. You couldn't be more right.
  • Bureauc 0Bamao 2009/09/03 02:06:16
    I think....
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    +5

• NotWith... Bureauc... 2009/09/03 02:07:15
    NotWithoutAFight
    +4
    You know it!
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2009/09/02 19:58:19
    I think...
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +4
    There web page says: "National Endowment for the Arts · an independent federal agency"

It gives grants to the arts, and now it is encouraging artists to make art supporting 0bama's agenda.......health care, stimulus package, cap and trade, etc. It makes it into just another propaganda machine for the 0bama administration, who gives out grants of our tax money.

This infiltration into all aspects of life is without end and very dangerous.

• chappy 2009/09/02 17:59:06
    I think...
    chappy
    +3
    i oppose any government funding that is not stipulated in the constitution which would exclude the NEA and NPR and about a bazillion other programs that we throw money at that has not improved the lives of those paying for them
  • DG.= Political Athiest = An... 2009/09/02 16:32:21 (edited)
    I think....
    DG.= Political Athiest = Anarchist
    +2
    It clearly states in its' History and Purpose:
    "The Council was established through the National Arts and Cultural Development Act of 1964, a full year before the federal agency was created by Congressional legislation. Its first members were appointed by President Lyndon Johnson and included noted artists such as...."
    AND
    "Members are appointed by the President and approved by the Senate for six-year, staggered terms. In 1997, Congress enacted legislation that reduced the membership of the Council to 14 and required the appointment of an additional six members of Congress to serve in an ex officio, non-voting capacity for two-year terms. "

It seems obvious that the NEA was originally intended to serve some sort of "artistic" government propaganda-type purpose.
    The fact that they are currently in the spotlight about their actual purpose is long over due- thanks for bringing this to our attention Not Without....
  • NotWith... DG.= Po... 2009/09/03 01:43:52
    NotWithoutAFight
    +4
    You are welcome of course DG. :)

But I really think it isn't in the 'charter' to be a propaganda machine for the left.

Upon further inspection of the NEA website - I found ...
    "The National Endowment for the Arts is a public agency dedicated to supporting excellence in the arts, both new and established; bringing the arts to all Americans; and providing leadership in arts education. Established by Congress in 1965 as an independent agency of the federal government, the Endowment is the nation's largest annual funder of the arts, bringing great art to all 50 states, including rural areas, inner cities, and military bases."

I think it's being used - and them worrying over the legality - or usage of 'language' to more or less keep them out of the courts says it all.
  • DG.= Po... NotWith... 2009/09/03 15:08:32
    DG.= Political Athiest = Anarchist
    +2
    Notwithout- I am still NOT convinced that it is not in their "charter" to be a propaganda machine for the left......................It may not be written, but it is certainly encouraged with a wink and nod- I have met and dealt with this kind of organization, and I can personally attest that they do in fact many times have a liberal agenda- and I can say with absolute certainty they do NOT EVER have a conservative agenda.
    I am an artist.......... some of the bizarre peculiarities they uphold as "art" is in all honesty nothing more than a left-slanted political staement.
    What's funny is my opinion alone would disqualify me automatically from their circle.
    I've never received grant money from or through the NEA, but upon searching the web i found that grants are available through the School of the Art Institute Chicago but not for the American Academy of Art Chicago. To one who studies art in the classical style the differences in style and studies between these two schools is vast. An example is SAIC is known for contemporary and 'self-expressive' art (which many times means not much more than political statements), where the AAAC is more about classical instruction and 'real world' instruction with employment purpose and job placement direction.

Here are some interesting ...

Here are some interesting controversies regarding the NEA:
    April 1989

Rev. Donald Wildmon, representing the ultra-conservative American Family Foundation of Tupelo, Mississippi, holds a press conference complaining to the members of the National Council on the Arts. Particularly about a grant, in support of "anti-Christian bigotry," referring to the exhibition of Andres Serrano's work, which included Piss Christ, a photograph of a crucifix submerged in a jar of Serrano's urine. Serrano had received a grant of $20,000 from the NEA.

Senators Jesse Helms, William Armstrong, and Alfonse D'Amato quickly denounced Serrano's work. Thirty-six senators signed a letter to the NEA expressing outrage. Rep. Dick Armey, a long-time opponent of federal arts support, sends a letter signed by 107 representatives to the NEA and calls for the cancellation of Robert Mapplethorpe’s upcoming retrospective The Perfect Moment, scheduled to open at Washington's Corcoran Gallery of Art in July. He labels the works of both Mapplethorpe and Serrano as "morally reprehensible trash."

Spring 1989

A School of the Art Institute of Chicago student, Dread Scott Tyler, displays "What is the Proper Way to Display An American Flag?". The installation depicts an American flag on the floor, encouraging viewers to walk on it. The US Senate unanimously votes that Tyler committed a federal crime by displaying an American flag on the ground. The school is marched on by US veterans, and the museum receives bomb threats. In July of 1989, the Governor of Illinois signs a bill, despite his outspoken disagreement, that cuts off grants to both the school and the Illinois Arts Alliance, an arts advocacy group that defended the exhibit.

March 1990

The exhibition of Robert Mapplethorpe's The Perfect Moment show premiered at the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center, which included five sadomasochistic portraits and two images of naked minors with graphic focus on the genitals. It resulted in the unsuccessful prosecution of the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center and its director Dennis Barrie on charges of "pandering obscenity".

These are worth mentioning because the oranization is government funded.
  • NotWith... DG.= Po... 2009/09/04 05:33:35
    NotWithoutAFight
    +2
    I understand what you are saying and you being an artist certainly have more knowledge of this area than I.

I can only go with their own web site and statements as in how they 'should' work.

I don't like taxpayer funds funding a political agenda - I do not doubt I reckon that that is what they do. You have shown that in no uncertain terms. Thank you.

Perhaps this is good to bring out into the open.
  • Gary 2009/09/02 13:22:45
    I think...
    Gary
    +2
    Don't worry, he will drop them like a hot potato in 2012 when he proclaims his Christianity again.
  • ..tisha... 2009/09/02 07:10:11
    I think....
    ..tisha...
    +2
    A Separation between Arts and Government- yes
    A Separation between Arts and Politics- No

There are many who use their artistic skills to proclaim their political views, and the artists they are using to promote Obama's presidency either welcome it, or are in it for their own reasons *the recognition and publicity*. I have no problem and even encourage artists to speak their political views through their artwork- it takes gull in some cases.

But rounding up artists and having them use their artistic skills for propaganda is something I don't condone.
  • NotWith... ..tisha... 2009/09/02 07:17:18
    NotWithoutAFight
    +4
    I understand the distinction you are making. I certainly agree.

Obama's White House has contacted the NEA and asked them - so long as they could sort out the 'legalities' - to promote the Administrations environment and healthcare and green agendas.. A couple more too.

Of course Art should be left to the artists - their political expression is fine. But I shouldn't have to fund the NEA with my tax dollars for propaganda and policies I don't support - or do support for that matter.
  • ..tisha... NotWith... 2009/09/02 07:31:02
    ..tisha...
    +3
    You are right,
    As far as I've read in various articles, some of the artists that were called to do so- were insulted.

2014/10/23 11:11:20