'The most gruesome thing I have ever seen': Witness describes moment he saw naked man high on LSD eat the face off victim before police shot him

Chaya2010 2012/05/28 14:59:30
  • Victim recovering in hospital
  • 75 per cent of victim's face was chewed off
  • Police say killer overdosing on a new form of LSD

• A cyclist described the terrifying moment he witnessed a naked man tear pieces of flesh from another man's face at the side of a freeway before shot dead by police when he refused to stop.

Larry Vega, from Miami, was cycling off the MacArthur Causeway on Saturday afternoon when he saw the savage attack, which he described as 'the most gruesome, traumatic thing I have ever seen in my life'.

He told WSVN: 'The guy was like tearing him to pieces with his mouth and I told him to get off.But the guy just kept eating the other guy away, like ripping his skin.

'A police officer came over, told him several times to get off then climbed over the divider and got in front of him and said, "Get off!" But the guy just stood his head up like that with a piece of flesh in his mouth and growled.'

times climbed divider guy stood head piece flesh mouth growled

Mr Vega said the man continued to eat his victim's face so he was shot several times.

Police have said they believe the man - who has not been identified - was high on a potent form of LSD at the time.

His victim, who is believed to be a homeless man, is in hospital recovering from his injuries which are said to be some of the most horrific staff have ever encountered.

It is not clear if he will survive.

Images taken from a Miami Herald surveillance camera show the legs of the two men lying beneath a freeway underpass.

Mr Vega described the crime scene - which he compared to a horror movie: 'It was just a blob of blood. You couldn't really see, it was just blood all over the place.

'It was one of the most gruesome things I have ever seen in my life in person. You know, you see these things in the movies but when you see it in person, it's pretty traumatic.'

blob blood blood gruesome life person movies person pretty traumatic

Armando Aguilar of the Miami Fraternal Order of Police told WSVN: 'What's happening is whenever we see that a person has taken all of his clothes off and has become violent, it’s indicative of this excited delirium that's caused by overdose of drugs.

'What's happening is inside their body their organs are burning up alive.'

Neither the naked man nor the victim have been identified.

A woman notified a police officer nearby that she had seen two men fighting, witnesses told The Miami Herald.

In the barrage of gunfire, the naked man was killed, collapsing face-down on the pedestrian walkway right by the Herald's parking garage.

Javier Ortiz, a police spokesman, said that based on information he's received, the officer who fired the shots 'is a hero and saved a life'.

spokesman based information received officer fired shots hero saved life

There were no weapons found near the two naked men, leading them to believe that the attacker used his own strength to subdue his victim.

'There are other ways to injure people,' Sergeant Altarr William told The Herald.

'Some people know martial arts, others are very strong and can kill you with their hands.'

altarr william told herald people martial arts strong kill hands

MacArthur Causeway is a major route that connects downtown Miami to popular South Beach.

Traffic clogged the area for hours as people used the route to descend into South Beach for Urban Beach Week, an annual festival dedicated to hip-hop music.

• niccolom 2012/05/28 23:45:26
      niccolom
      +1
      Either it's the rage virus or he was a zombie. He's the beginning of a horror that is going to spread across the country and turn America into a post apocalyptic nightmare.
    • Chaya2010 niccolom 2012/05/29 00:16:52
      Chaya2010
      Whatever it is I'm glad the freak can't hurt innocent people. The world is better without monsters like that. Thanks for answering. glad freak hurt innocent people world monsters answering
    • Chi~Cat 2012/05/28 22:00:32 (edited)
      Chi~Cat
      +1
      Horrible. Was that dude in LE, or a vet? Name not released. Sickwad. Lahada/DEA going through his cell phone, etc... to find out the source, that's a fact. Terrible. All the best wishes to the victim. That's not taking a bite out of crime. Sick.
    • Chaya2010 Chi~Cat 2012/05/29 00:17:49
      Chaya2010
      +1
      You were the first person to say that, which is decent and sweet of you. I agree my thoughts are with the victim. person decent sweet victim
    • Chi~Cat Chaya2010 2012/05/29 00:26:49
      Chi~Cat
      +1
      ty, Chaya~ I did not know about this, thank you for your post. Take care.
    • Chaya2010 Chi~Cat 2012/05/29 00:28:11
      Chaya2010
      +1
      Same to you honey:))
    • Max 2012/05/28 17:17:51
      Max
      +2
      A man doing LSD may have hallucinated and thought himself to be a dog and a hungry dog at that.
    • Chaya2010 Max 2012/05/28 17:52:50
      Chaya2010
      It boggles the mind. thanks
      boggles mind
    • dick 2012/05/28 16:06:10
      dick
      +2
      It's a dangerous world out there all the more reason that our public needs to be armed cops can't be every where all the time! An armed nation is a safer nation!
    • Chaya2010 dick 2012/05/28 16:26:21
      Chaya2010
      +1
      I agree, you are at least fortunate to be allowed to carry arms. In Britain we can't not even our police carry them regularly.
      fortunate allowed carry arms britain police carry regularly
    • john Kills 2012/05/28 15:55:05
      john Kills
      +2
      Yesterday it was reported that they suspected the man was one coke. I told my wife that coke would make a man do that. Bad acid sound more believable.
    • Chaya2010 john Kills 2012/05/28 16:27:29
      Chaya2010
      I know somebody in my circle of friends that took LSD and jumped off a building. Its dangerous stuff for some people!
      circle friends lsd jumped building dangerous people
    • Bali 2012/05/28 15:39:41
      Bali
      +3
      never knew lsd made you hungry.....whooaaaa
    • Chaya2010 Bali 2012/05/28 16:27:48
      Chaya2010
      Crazy hungry literally!
      crazy hungry literally
    • Bali Chaya2010 2012/05/28 21:50:21
      Bali
      +1
      hungry enough to eat a face....whoaaa
    • Walaa 2012/05/28 15:03:04
      Walaa
      +2
      Horrible.
    • Chaya2010 Walaa 2012/05/28 15:06:37
      Chaya2010
      +1
      It is indeed thanks!
    • Walaa Chaya2010 2012/05/28 15:09:34
      Walaa
      +1
      Your welcome.

2014/04/25 07:57:19