The meaning of Hillary Clinton

Mopeder 2013/08/14 11:04:50
Related Topics: Hillary Clinton, Clinton
By Kathleen Parker | August 13, 2013

WASHINGTON -- Three years out and you’d think the deed was done: Madame President Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton.

She’s everywhere these days because: (a) It’s August; (b) Reporters are bored with President Obama; (c) Reporters are bored with Joe Biden; (d) Clintons are never boring.

Correct.

Op-ed columns are filled with advice about what Hillary needs to do. She needs a narrative. A message. It can’t be that she’s a Clinton or a woman. It has to be…

What?

Here’s a thought: She can save the world.

Yes, all right, perhaps a trifle hyperbolic, but hear me out. And keep in mind that this works only as a long game. We may not live to see salvation, but one has to start somewhere. Thus far, invasions, bunker-busting mega-bombs and killer drones seem not to be having the desired effect.

Let’s begin with a working (and provable) premise: Women, if allowed to be fully equal to men, will bring peace to the planet. This is not so farfetched a notion. One, men have been at it for thousands of years, resulting in millions and millions of corpses. Two, countries where women are most oppressed and abused are also the least stable.

Three, as women become more empowered, especially financially, countries become more stable. When women have money, they can feed their families, get health care, educate their children, start businesses and so on. The ripple effect is stronger families, stronger communities, and ultimately saner nations.

This fact, reinforced by numerous economic studies, has not escaped the attention of corporate America, which is investing heavily to reach women in developing countries. As Muhtar Kent, the CEO of Coca-Cola, put it: “Women are already the most dynamic and fastest-growing economic force in the world today.”

What does this have to do with Hillary? Quite a bit.

Rewinding the tape to 1995 at the U.N. Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing, then-first lady Hillary Clinton empowered women as never before with just a few words: “Human rights are women’s rights and women’s rights are human rights, once and for all.”

Imagine that. Well, of course, we can imagine that. Our Founding Fathers created the instruments to codify this concept, even if it took a while to imprint on our psyches and to be reflected in our laws. But elsewhere, in places where women are tortured, abused, sold into slavery and disfigured, all to the “glory” of men, it was a trumpet blast from heaven’s gate that caused the Earth to tremble: Women are human beings, too.

How do you say “wow” in Lingala?

At the time, it was a revolutionary statement and helps explain why Hillary is one of the most recognized and revered individuals in the world.

While Americans obsess about Hillary’s hair and married life, others have been studying her for inspiration. To millions, she is a role model and a warrior for women’s right to self-determination. As secretary of state, she continued the work of her predecessors, Condoleezza Rice and Madeleine Albright, who first insisted that women’s rights be part of our foreign policy, and then pushed further. Under Hillary’s watch, Obama made permanent the Office of Global Women’s Issues and appointed longtime Hillary colleague Melanne Verveer as ambassador-at-large.

These strides in soft diplomacy may get less ink than, say, John Kerry’s progress toward Middle East peace talks, but they are no less important in the longer term. Far newsier than yet another round of “peace talks,” necessary though they be, are the implications of the global explosion in women’s economic and, therefore, political power.

Whether one likes or dislikes Hillary, few dispute that she has matured in her public role. Her resume can be topped by few, and the symbolic power of electing a woman president—especially this woman—can’t be overestimated. Many doubtless shudder at the prospect of Hillary Clinton as the most powerful person in the world, but we’ve done worse. For what it’s worth, many in the Bush White House said privately they hoped Hillary would win because they felt she was the better prepared to handle international challenges.

Whatever transpires during the next three years, we can be sure the world’s women are watching closely. In 2007 when I traveled through the Middle East with then-first lady Laura Bush, every woman I met was riveted by the U.S. presidential election and wanted to talk about only this: Will Hillary win?

http://gazettextra.com/article/20130813/ARTICLES/130819911/1034

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/hillary-clin...

• Doc. J 2013/08/14 20:09:36
    Comment
    Doc. J
    +2
    She's sharp, shrewd, and not afraid to punch it out.
    She will go down in history as "The Iron Lady" of the U.S.
  • rique692002 2013/08/14 17:46:09
    Comment
    rique692002
    she is/has been involved in way to many questionable dealings and I see nothing she did as sec, of state except stay out of the country. I think she is a power hungry politician. Now I would support Laura Bush a smart open minded woman who has done much work in other countries and was not scared to disagree with her husband and party in the gay marriage issue for what she considered right and fair, or Condi Rice, neither have the baggage of Clinton who is going to say what she needs to say for her advancement.
  • michael 2013/08/14 16:41:30
    Comment
    michael
    I must admit biases against Hilary Clinton , however, I am amazed some people seem to flock to her ..... Given all her political baggage.
  • lylamerican 2013/08/14 15:22:57
    Comment
    lylamerican
    The State Department said the Saturday that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton fainted and suffered a concussion, but did not specify when that happened or the circumstances surrounding the incident.
    She would not testify this week before House and Senate committees about the Sept. 11 attacks on Benghazi as scheduled, congressional sources said.
    Clinton, 65, cancelled a trip to the Middle East and North Africa earlier this week because she had been suffering from a stomach flu.
    Clinton’s fainting episode took place earlier this week, State spokesman Philippe Reines said Saturday, although he did not give additional details. On Thursday, asked by POLITICO during the day if she’d been hospitalized, Reines responded only that evening that she had seen her doctors and was home, without additional details. He said Saturday she was not and never had been hospitalized. But yet she is everywhere !!!

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story...
  • sjalan lylamer... 2013/08/14 16:41:09
    +1
    And you point is? This is OLD news.
  • lylamer... sjalan 2013/08/14 20:23:38
    lylamerican
    Yes, push it under the table. She can't take the pressure of serious problems. Obama will leave such a mess with the other nations she will panic. Woman should not be in charge of this country, and I am a woman! Gesh ... are you nuts ? Look what the men have done to us.
  • sjalan lylamer... 2013/08/14 20:32:30
    +1
    BS! She had a stroke and has recovered. Or don't you keep up with the news?
  • lylamer... sjalan 2013/08/15 15:58:51
    lylamerican
    She had a clot , caused by the flu and dehydration. No stroke .
  • sjalan lylamer... 2013/08/15 18:34:09
    Stroke : Medical Definition

: sudden diminution or loss of consciousness, sensation, and voluntary motion caused by rupture or obstruction (as by a clot) of a blood vessel of the brain—called also apoplexy, brain attack, cerebral accident, cerebrovascular accident;
  • lylamer... sjalan 2013/08/16 16:11:34
    lylamerican
    I'm not going to insult you but you have no clue what your copy and pasting. She had a clot. due to dehydration , it did NOT break off and slip to her head heart or lungs which could kill her. She will come off the anti coagulant . NO STROKE! If she had she can't run for president . Either way she is old 65 and in no shape to run. Unless you want to kill her.
    Want her to run? Stop saying she had a stoke.

On Dec. 7th it was initially reported that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was suffering from stomach flu and had fallen and sustained a concussion after hitting her head.
    This announcement came shortly before Secretary Clinton's scheduled testimony before the Senate Armed Forces Committee on the Benghazi fiasco which claimed four American lives on the 11th anniversary of the September 11th attacks.
    Clinton seemingly vanished for nearly a month. No public appearances, no photos, she was out of the public eye for weeks. Her staff reported that she was resting at home .Senate hearing looming, many of her opponents questioned the timing of her sudden mysterious illness and opined that her mysterious absence was an attempt to avoid testifying on Benghazi as long as possible.
    During this period Clinton announced her intention to step down from her position as Secretary of St...

During this period Clinton announced her intention to step down from her position as Secretary of State. Senator John Kerry has since been confirmed as her replacement.
    When Ms. Clinton finally returned to work a month later it was widely noted that she was wearing unusual eyewear and it was reported that her new specs were to assist her with double vision and that she was also suffering from vertigo.
    While I am certainly not a physician, Hillary Clinton's symptoms are very much like the symptoms associated with an ischemic stroke.
    While I am certain that Clinton would not want to acknowledge having suffered a stroke as it would likely negatively impact her chances for a 2016 Presidential run.
  • TrudyGirl 2013/08/14 13:22:43
    Comment
    TrudyGirl
    +9
    I like Hillary because she is tough. She has fought major battles in her life and won. When Bush was leaving office and she was running I had no doubts about voting for her until Obama showed up on radar. At first I was still for Hillary hoping a woman could change the disaster we call government. Later when I heard Obama speak I was shocked at my reaction because I realized he was the person we needed for getting us back on track. I have voted for him twice and think it was important that he was a "First" fore runner because women still don't have respect in this country particularly among the Conservatives. Even during the first election I knew that Hillary's time would be next and that she would be up for the challenge. Holding Hillary in reserve is just the trump card we needed after 8 years of Republican screaming and trying to take back an election they lost because they are so sure of themselves that they don't see how people feel about their behavior. The don't see us. Hillary sees us and has her entire life.

2016 is the right time for Hillary. We need a woman to prove who we are as women and we need the skills of a woman in the White House. She is ready and able to do the job. She is known for her skills in handling bad situations and I believe she will kee...

2016 is the right time for Hillary. We need a woman to prove who we are as women and we need the skills of a woman in the White House. She is ready and able to do the job. She is known for her skills in handling bad situations and I believe she will keep us on the right path to once again be the place everyone wants to be; the true leader of the free world. We need the woman's influence in the White House. Men are too aggressive when dealing with other leaders, women understand the necessity of diplomacy. We are not able physically able (for the most part) to win in a battle so over the millenniums we have learned how do deal with issues; it is called diplomacy. You can believe me when I say we have learned diplomacy.

Last but not least; even though men think they run the world (all part of our diplomacy) we know they do not. We already run the world and have managed to do it without a political presence. 2014 and 2016 will be the time of women. We will finally step forward into our greatest roll yet; working to bring our world together with peace and cooperation.

We are the glue that keeps the world together because our ultimate goal is to have a safe and happy place for our children to grow up and live their life. We are the cleaners and the organizers of this world, we are the peace makers and the open hearts who will bring nations together. Wars in our country will become a thing of the past because no woman sees the sense of sending our children off to war.

So like it or not Conservatives; here comes Hillary, our first female President. I look forward to watching her finesse the election as well as her 8 years in the White House.

HILLARY CLINTON 2016
  • MsTlynne TrudyGirl 2013/08/14 13:29:38
    MsTlynne
    +4
    Well said, Trudy!
  • TrudyGirl MsTlynne 2013/08/14 13:32:58
    TrudyGirl
    +4
    Thanks, sometimes I am on a roll in the early mornings because I am a morning person.
  • MsTlynne TrudyGirl 2013/08/14 14:08:42
    MsTlynne
    +3
    Bless YOUR heart! I'm up, but not really awake and with it until about 10 a.m., even with coffee. I'm a morning grouch. Have a great day!
    oscar grouch gif
  • TrudyGirl MsTlynne 2013/08/14 15:57:42
    TrudyGirl
    +4
    I know, I make my night people friends crazy. I can, now that I am retired, sleep in until 730 or 8 am. I know, I know most people don't think that it is sleeping in but for me it is!
  • Doc. J TrudyGirl 2013/08/14 17:22:42
    Doc. J
    +2
    10,000 RAVES!
  • TrudyGirl Doc. J 2013/08/14 19:36:59
    TrudyGirl
    +2
    LOL, Thanks..I just love Hillary..
  • Doc. J TrudyGirl 2013/08/14 20:06:13
    Doc. J
    +3
    She will become "The Iron Lady" of the United States.
    And I think that's JUST what the country needs.
  • TrudyGirl Doc. J 2013/08/14 20:19:38
    TrudyGirl
    +2
    You are so right..we need a good strong mom to whip us into shape. After all look at Chelsea; not every child of a rich and powerful person comes out so well.
  • gracious43 2013/08/14 13:04:56
    Comment
    gracious43
    Yeah, and don't forget how she took on snipers in Bosnia:

• Tracie Richards~PWCM~JLA 2013/08/14 12:42:52 (edited)
    Comment
    Tracie Richards~PWCM~JLA
    I did so admire the woman once. More and more it has become obvious that Mrs. Clinton's fire is gone. She's bitter, tired, and her once lofty ideals have been corrupted.

In short. She's sold out.

If we're looking at possible female candidates, why not Olympia Snowe?
  • Hopscotch Tracie ... 2013/08/14 15:16:04
  • Tracie ... Hopscotch 2013/08/14 15:32:16
    Tracie Richards~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, just as I am mine. If you have nothing more to offer to the conversation than childish name calling, however, I'm afraid I must ignore you.
    Have a nice day!
  • Rodoftex 2013/08/14 12:35:28
    Comment
    Rodoftex
    +2
    You have got to be kidding me. You make it sound like Madam Hillary can walk on and part the waters. Just what really important did she do during her time as Secretary of State? Would you like to discuss her part in Benghazi? Oh, that's right we don't know what she did or didn't do; what orders she gave or didn't give! Want to go back to the days in Arkansas? I doubt it. More than just a little dirt there. "I can't remember"! That seemed to be the only thing she could remember. Want someone that forgetful (read, something to cover up) as President of the United States of America? We could go on but I think you have gotten the picture if you will be objective and honest enough to actually consider the facts.
  • Hopscotch Rodoftex 2013/08/14 15:20:30
  • Rodoftex Hopscotch 2013/08/16 13:48:38
    Rodoftex
    We can expect some of our people to be killed when working in these extremely radical parts of the world. When extemporaneous it is nearly impossible to prevent. Not providing protection when the need is obvious is unforgiveable, especially so when additional protection is requested but denied or even reduced. Did President Bush lie about any of those incidents you enumerate? Did he cover up? Did he ever say anything inappropriate such as "What difference does it make"? Have the pertinent facts been openly, willingly and fully disclosed? Hillary has a long record of "forgetting", when convenient and twisting the truth as necessary.
  • Hopscotch Rodoftex 2013/08/16 16:34:26
    Hopscotch
    Is this a Republican Attack Room spewing misinformation and parenthetic innuendos about Hillary because you are afraid of her in 2016 or are you really that ignorant.

"A great many people think they are actually thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." -- William James

Those questions have been answered 100's of times, and the travesty is they were ever asked in the first place, when the Republicans cut the embassy security budgets by 300 million dollars and then complained about the results.

Ha  ha
  • Pamela 2013/08/14 12:17:28
    Comment
    Pamela
    +1
    Hillary Clinton is a power hungry disturbed woman who will do anything to be president. Murder included, but the idiot liberals swoon all over her. idiot hillary clinton is a muderer idiot hillary clinton is a muderer
  • Mark In... Pamela 2013/08/14 21:25:06
    Mark In Irvine
    murder? boy are you deluded. isn't ti time to get back into that white canvas jacket with the straps all over it?

strait jacket
  • HillaryLover 2013/08/14 11:56:39
    Comment
    HillaryLover
    +7
    If Hillary Clinton does not win in 2016 it will be the biggest news of the decade. Republican's, conservatives, bigots, etc. hope that she won't win, but deep down they know it will be virtually impossible to field a candidate that can stop her. Hillary
  • RH 2013/08/14 11:55:33
    Comment
    RH
    +1
    I'd write in Mickey Mouse before I voted for her.
  • GOP Poison RH 2013/08/14 13:32:45
    GOP Poison
    +1
    Love it..That is exactly what people said about Obamas re-election chances
  • Kern RH 2013/08/14 13:36:08
    Kern
    +3
    You pretty much did when you elected Bush.
  • RH Kern 2013/08/14 22:15:24
    RH
    +1
    Didn't vote for Bush, but thanks for caring.
  • Kern RH 2013/08/15 03:50:40
    Kern
    You're welcome. Have a night.
  • Sissy 2013/08/14 11:51:47
    Comment
    Sissy
    +6
    Even unannounced, she's currently burying in the polls any pub who have all but announced. That's why its unbelievable that the Right is still so passionate in their continued visceral against the current President. Instead of hunkering down, fixing what is becoming an irrelevant, meaningless party, they continue their storm against a guy who isn't going to ever run again. Go figure.
  • lkreu Sissy 2013/08/14 13:11:09
    lkreu
    +4
    They better get used to a democrat in the White House its going to be along time b/f they see it again, unless they do hunker down and fix what's wrong. But, they would first have to admit that something IS wrong.
  • Sissy lkreu 2013/08/14 13:15:51
    Sissy
    +2
    I thought that hunkering would have happened right after the election last November, Ikreu. What did they do instead? Doubled down on all the policies that got them kicked to the curb in the election, have refused to look at their rotting inner core, supporting legislation that still assaults women, the poor and the disenfranchised, still passes legislation limiting voting rights and pushing themselves more and more out of the mainstream while not caring a whit that they are becoming more irrelevant with every passing day.
  • lkreu Sissy 2013/08/14 13:22:22
    lkreu
    +2
    You would of thought - but they just keep voting and acting like they did in 2012 - shows just how intelligent they really are - its like they are spiteful children - when you tell them No they do it anyhow. And, remember according to them there is NO war on women - guess we have a difference of opinion on that one.
  • Sissy lkreu 2013/08/14 13:26:58
    Sissy
    +3
    You're spot on. I liken them more to spoiled brats who, when they don't get their own way, have temper tantrums and throw fits at everyone who thwarts them. Go figure.

2014/04/20 21:16:33