THE MEANING of a Flag Draped Coffin.

Col.TJefferson1775 2010/10/05 20:27:28
Related Topics: Supreme Court, Veterans
I received the following from Dinkeydow ..............

Subject: Meaning of a Flag-Draped Coffin

There have been many things that have been washed out of the American conscience by political correctness, anti American constitutional values and a host of other brain numbing fractures to basic common sense. When America loses one of her Soldiers, however, the flag draped coffin can not be dismissed as trivial. Some have tried but many more cannot dismiss the feeling they have with this final memorial to the fallen who have served their country. I have witnessed this ceremony many times but have renewed pride in the thoughtfulness of the attached. Without regard to where our Nation will ultimately settle on a value system may this tribute and its message survive.

Meaning of Flag Draped Coffin

All Americans should be given this lesson. Those
who think that America is an arrogant nation
should really reconsider that thought. Our found-
ing fathers used GOD's word and teachings to
establish our Great Nation and I think it's high
time Americans get re-educated about this Nation's history.

Pass it along and be proud of the country we live in and even more proud of those who serve to protect our 'GOD GIVEN' rights and freedoms.

I hope you take the time to read this ... To understand what the flag draped coffin really means ..here is how to understand the flag that laid upon it and is surrendered to so many widows and widowers.

Do you know that at military funerals, the 21-gun salute stands for the sum of the numbers in the year 1776?

Have you ever noticed the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly &nbs... folding the United States of America Flag 13 times? You probably thought it was to symbolize the original 13 colonies,but we learn something new every day!

The 1st fold of the flag is a symbol of life.

The 2nd fold is a symbol of the belief in eternal
life.

The 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrance of
the veterans departing the ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of the country to attain peace throughout the world.

The 4th fold represents the weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for
His divine guidance.

The 5th fold is a tribute to the country, for in the
words of Stephen Decatur, 'Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right;but it is still our country, right or wrong.'

The 6th fold is for where people's hearts lie. It is with their heart that they pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The 7th fold is a tribute to its Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that they protect their country and their flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the bound-aries of their republic.

The 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day.

The 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood, and mothers.For it has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the
men and women who have made this country great
has been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to the father, for he too has given his sons and &nbs... daughters for the defense of their country since they were first born.

The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies in the Hebrews eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded,the stars are uppermost &nbs... reminding them of their nations motto, 'In God We Trust’. The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in the Christians eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in,it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the Sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul
Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States,preserving for them the rights, privileges and free-doms they enjoy today.

There are some traditions and ways of doing things
that have deep meaning.

In the future, you'll see flags folded and now you
will know why.

Share this with the children you love and all others
who love what is referred to, the symbol of 'Liberty
and Freedom.'

MAYBE THE SUPREME COURT SHOULD READ THIS EXPLANATION BEFORE THEY RENDER THEIR DECISION ON THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE. FORWARD IT; MAYBE SOMEONE WITH THE NECESSARY POWER, OR POLITICAL AND FINANCIAL INFLUENCE, WILL GET IT TO THEM.

IN THE MEANTIME, MAY GOD PROTECT US ALWAYS.

ONE NATION, UNDER GOD, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.

If you agree, Pass it along to others.................

If not, hit delete..................
Our soldiers, Navy , Army, Air Force and Marines have preserved your right to make this choice!

hit delete soldiers navy army air force marines preserved choice

• Spizzzo... william... 2010/10/07 08:04:57
    Spizzzo BN-0
    +1
    Yes, precisely. Thanks.
  • william... Spizzzo... 2010/10/07 20:39:11
    williamshaman
    +1
    You are welcome, Spizzzo. These so called Christian idiots just don't understand right from wrong now do they. I am Atheist, and I know a lie is wrong. Funny how THEY think it is OK to lie. Keep up the good work, friend.
  • Red Branch 2010/10/06 03:56:32
    Red Branch
    +6
    It ought to be hung in all our classroms, printed in the papers for Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
  • Red Branch Red Branch 2010/10/06 04:05:44
    Red Branch
    +7
    This came from a book I read.

"To the brave men of the 3d Armored Division who gave their lives so that those of us remaining, by the Grace of Almighty God, could become survivors".
  • duke nukem 2010/10/06 03:37:29
  • cutter'... duke nukem 2010/10/07 00:37:45
  • duke nukem cutter'... 2010/10/10 22:39:42
    duke nukem
    +2
    uhhh you do realize this is the internet?
  • cutter'... duke nukem 2010/10/11 03:02:41 (edited)
  • Col.TJe... cutter'... 2010/10/11 20:21:15
    Col.TJefferson1775
    +3
    LOLOL!
    This little guy could take care of any protesters!
    Photobucket
  • cutter'... Col.TJe... 2010/10/11 23:06:49
  • Col.TJe... cutter'... 2010/10/12 19:04:33
    Col.TJefferson1775
    +4
    LMAO....GREAT find!!

Photobucket

Would hate to be on the receiving end of this baby!!
  • cutter'... Col.TJe... 2010/10/12 19:49:57
  • Col.TJe... cutter'... 2010/10/13 21:40:59
    Col.TJefferson1775
    +3
    LOLOL...yup!
  • Bozette 2010/10/06 03:20:59
    Bozette
    +5
    While I have always known how to fold the flag, I didn't know the meanings behind each fold. Thank you for sharing this, I will pass it on.
  • Spizzzo... Bozette 2010/10/06 05:16:33
    Spizzzo BN-0
    +1
    Those meanings are in no way official. Don't pretend they are when you pass it on.
  • Bozette Spizzzo... 2010/10/06 05:49:49
    Bozette
    +2
    No, they are not:
    What follows is a popular script for folding the flag; however, it is should not be used in official ceremonies as it is in violation of the Establishment Clause. The Establishment Clause (First Amendment) requires that expression not create the reasonable impression that the government is sponsoring, endorsing, or inhibiting religion generally, or favoring or disfavoring a particular religion.

Nor do they have to be to hold meaning to those who fold the flag. You need not express the meaning aloud for it to hold true to you. Obviously, Air Force personnel felt it was important enough that the USAF came up with "unofficial" words to be spoken in "unofficial" ceremonies...why someone's retirement would qualify as unofficial, I'm not sure. I know, too, that other branches speak as they fold during the flag folding at funerals of veterans as I have witnessed that.

Flag-Folding Ceremony
    Return to Flag Rules page

There is no official flag-folding ceremony and there is no official meaning to each of the folds. Below are several suggested scripts to be used during Flag-Folding Ceremonies.

Flag-Folding Script #1

As the flag is folded, for each fold recite the following:

Fold 1: The 13 stripes represent the original 13 states: Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgi...

No, they are not:

Flag-Folding Ceremony
    Return to Flag Rules page

Flag-Folding Script #1

Fold 1: The 13 stripes represent the original 13 states: Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island

Fold 2: The 50 stars represent our 50 United States of America

Fold 3: "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death", Patrick Henry

Fold 4: "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman", Thomas Paine

Fold 5: "We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal. They are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights. Among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", Declaration of Independence

Fold 6: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution of the United States of America", United States Constitution

Fold 7: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances", First Amendment

Fold 8: "The basis of our political system is the right of the people to make and to alter their constitutions of government", George Washington

Fold 9: "My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson

Fold 10: "Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal", Abraham Lincoln

Fold 11: "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door", Emma Lazarus, inscription on the Statue of Liberty

Fold 12: "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country", John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Fold 13: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character", Martin Luther King, Jr.

Boy Scout Script (not official)

#1 In honor of the thirteen original colonies and our forefathers who founded this great nation, we salute you.

#2 To the men who died in the War for Independence, we salute you.

#3 To those men who fell in the War of 1812, to preserve our freedom, we salute you.

#4 To the brave soldiers on both sides, The North and The South, in the Civil War, we salute you.

#5 To those who shed their blood in the name of hope and freedom in The Great War, we salute you.

#6 For our fathers and sons who died in the terrible battles of World War Two, Pearl Harbor, Anzio, Midway, The Bulge, Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, Normandy, and Berlin, we salute you.

#7 To the men of the First Marine Division, who, in a rear guard action at the Chosin Reservoir in Korea saved their battalion and the lives of their brother Marines, we salute you.

#8 For the brave men and women of our armed forces who died on the fields of fire in Vietnam and whose names will live on forever on that hallowed wall, we salute you.

#9 For our commander in chief, who leads our nation in good times, and bad, we salute you.

#10 For the Boy Scouts of America and all the Scouts who have gone before us, we salute you.

#11 To God, our parents and our families who we love and respect, we salute you.

#12 To the men and women of our armed forces, the Arsenal of Democracy and the Hammer of Freedom, we salute you.

#13 And last, to freedom, because with out freedom there is no honor, without honor, we are not Americans, and on this we vow, that as long as this flag flies, we salute you.

Air Force Script

Air Force leaders recently approved a new script that can be read during flag-folding ceremonies. Though there are no official ceremonies in the Air Force that require a script to be read when a flag is folded, unofficial ceremonies such as retirements often do, said Lt. Col. Samuel Hudspath, Air Force protocol chief. "We have had a tradition within the Air Force of individuals requesting that a flag be folded, with words, at their retirement ceremony," he said. "This new script was prepared by Air Force services to provide Air Force recognized words to be used at those times." Thanks to TSgt Carey Gaul for sending this to ushistory.org. Read more.

For more than 200 years, the American flag has been the symbol of our nation's unity, as well as a source of pride and inspiration for millions of citizens.

Born on June 14, 1777, the Second Continental Congress determined that the flag of the United States be thirteen stripes, alternating between seven red and six white; and that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field representing a new constellation.1

Between 1777 and 1960, the shape and design of the flag evolved into the flag presented before you today. The 13 horizontal stripes represent the original 13 colonies, while the stars represent the 50 states of the Union. The colors of the flag are symbolic as well; red symbolizes hardiness and valor; white signifies purity and innocence; and blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice.1

Traditionally, a symbol of liberty, the American flag has carried the message of freedom, and inspired Americans, both at home and abroad.

In 1814, Francis Scott Key was so moved at seeing the Stars and Stripes waving after the British shelling of Baltimore's Fort McHenry that he wrote the words to The Star Spangled Banner.3

In 1892 the flag inspired Francis Bellamy to write the "Pledge of Allegiance," our most famous flag salute and patriotic oath.3

In July 1969 the American flag was "flown" in space when Neil Armstrong planted it on the surface of the moon.3

Today, our flag flies on constellations of Air Force satellites that circle our globe, and on the fin flash of our aircraft in harms way in every corner of the world. Indeed, it flies in the heart of every Airman who serves our great Nation. The sun never sets on our US Air Force, nor on the flag we so proudly cherish.3

Since 1776 no generation of Americans has been spared the responsibility of defending freedom... Today's Airmen remain committed to preserving the freedom that others won for us, for generations to come.

By displaying the flag and giving it a distinctive fold we show respect to the flag, and express our gratitude to those individuals who fought, and continue to fight for freedom, at home and abroad. Since the dawn of the 20th century, Airmen have proudly flown the flag in every major conflict on lands and skies around the world. It is their responsibility ... our responsibility ... to continue to protect and preserve the rights, privileges and freedoms that we, as Americans, enjoy today.

The United States flag represents who we are. It stands for the freedom we all share and the pride and patriotism we feel for our country. We cherish its legacy, as a beacon of hope to one and all. Long may it wave.

(1) From a report Secretary of Congress Robert Thompson wrote to define the Seal of our Nation (1777).

(2) Text from President Woodrow Wilson's Flag Day message (1917).

(3) Based upon historical facts.

Flag-Folding Script #3

"The Flag"

Hello. Remember me? Some people call me Old Glory, others call me the Star Spangled Banner, but whatever they call me, I am your flag, the flag of the United States of America.

Something has been bothering me, so I thought I might talk it over with you — because it is about you and me.

I remember some time ago, people would line up on both side of the street to watch the parade, and naturally I was leading every one, proudly waving in the breeze.

When your Daddy saw me coming, he immediately removed his hat and placed it against his left shoulder so that his hand was directly over his heart — remember?

And you, I remember, were standing there, straight as a soldier. You didn't have a hat, but you were giving the right salute. Remember your little sister? Not to be outdone, she was saluting the same as you with her right hand over her heart — remember?

What happened? I'm still the same old flag. Oh, I've added a few more stars since you were a boy, and a lot more blood has been shed since those parades of long ago.

But now, somehow I don't feel as proud as I used to feel. When I come down the street, you just stand there with your hands in your pockets. You may give me a small glance, and then you look away. I see children running around you shouting; they don't seem to know who I am.

I saw one man take his hat off, then he looked around, and when he didn't see anybody else take off his hat, he quickly put his on again.

Is it a sin to be patriotic today? Have you forgotten what I stand for, and where I have been? Anzio, Guadalcanal, Korea and Vietnam!

Take a look at the memorial honor rolls, and see the names of those patriotic Americans who gave their lives to keep this republic free. When you salute me, you are actually saluting them!

So when you see me, please stand straight and place your hand over your heart, and I'll know that you remembered. I'll salute you by waving back!

Flag-Folding Script #4

..........

The flag folding ceremony represents the same religious principles on which our country was originally founded. The portion of the flag denoting honor is the canton of blue containing the stars representing the states our veterans served in uniform. The canton field of blue dresses from left to right and is inverted when draped as a pall on a casket of a veteran who has served our country in uniform.

In the Armed Forces of the United States, at the ceremony of retreat the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle fold and kept under watch throughout the night as a tribute to our nation's honored dead. The next morning it is brought out and, at the ceremony of reveille, run aloft as a symbol of our belief in the resurrection of the body.

(Wait for the Honor Guard or Flag Detail to unravel and fold the flag into a quarter fold--resume reading when Honor Guard is standing ready.)

The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.
    The second fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life.
    The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country to attain a peace throughout the world.
    The fourth fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in times of war for His divine guidance.
    The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."
    The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.
    The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered in to the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on Mother's Day.
    The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood; for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.
    The tenth fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.
    The eleventh fold, in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
    The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.
    When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, "In God we Trust."

(Wait for the Honor Guard or Flag Detail to inspect the flag--after the inspection, resume reading.)

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington and the sailors and marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for us the rights, privileges, and freedoms we enjoy today.
  • Spizzzo... Bozette 2010/10/06 06:10:46
    Spizzzo BN-0
    +1
    I don't mind a bit what script may be used, so long as it's clear that's what it is, and NOT some official recognition of a particular one with particular religious elements in it (which is the case with the one here, I'd say). The one here also has some just plain historical errors in it if you are trying to think of it as being official or very old, and that does bother me about it.

Oddly, earlier this year I witnessed the folding of my father's flag, and the honor guard guys did the whole ceremonial thing beautifully, but did not quite fold the flag perfectly. My mom is in a quandary about what to do about it, because she'd like to buy one of the fancy framed cases marketed to widows for the purpose of display of the casket flag, but does not want to put a poorly folded flag in it, but also is reluctant to have it refolded and change it from the fold actually done at his actual funeral. Apparently, it's easy to find veteran's organizations who'd refold it for her.
  • Bozette Spizzzo... 2010/10/06 06:30:38
    Bozette
    +3
    I am sorry for your loss. Your Mother has to decide what she is most comfortable with.

As far as the "ceremony" goes, they are ALL symbolic...whether it is "officially" symbolic or "merely" symbolic makes no difference. What matters, is how those it is done for feel.
  • cutter'... Spizzzo... 2010/10/07 00:39:00
  • Spizzzo... cutter'... 2010/10/07 08:08:24
    Spizzzo BN-0
    I'm not positive what you are driving at, but yes, cool words, mostly. Some of them assume too much in my view while some of them are just plain wrong, and NONE of them should be taken as official. I see no reason to promote the words beyond what they are: cool things to say or think for appropriate veteran's funerals.
  • Gun665 2010/10/06 03:19:50
  • cutter'... Gun665 2010/10/07 00:40:28
  • Gun665 cutter'... 2010/10/07 06:12:49
  • Col.TJe... Gun665 2010/10/07 16:53:12
    Col.TJefferson1775
    +4
    And then some!
  • BoJay 2010/10/06 03:19:03
    BoJay
    +7

TO THOSE WHO HAVE GIVEN THE ALTOMATE SACRIFICE FOR THIS COUNTRY THAT WE LOVE SO MUCH, AND A FLAG THAT WE REFUSE TO SEE FALL.
    AMERICAN LEGION POST 166 GOOSE CREEK, SC. GREAT POST.
  • Rodney 2010/10/06 03:16:31
    Rodney
    +6
    You have taught me something new this evening. Thank You, it is a valuable lesson that everyone should know.
  • Isma'ila (God has heard)! 2010/10/06 03:14:09
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    +6
    Wow! I had no idea!
  • krayzrick 2010/10/06 02:51:35 (edited)
  • BoJay krayzrick 2010/10/06 03:10:43
    BoJay
    +7
    I'm with you Brother PGR & American Legion Charleston, SC brother pgr american legion charleston sc brother pgr american legion charleston sc
  • sand 2010/10/06 02:49:38
    sand
    +6
    Beautiful Be safe troops that counts my twin sis and my brother in law along with allot people i know.
    I hope they are all safe.
  • gary-da fuz 2010/10/06 02:46:58
    gary-da fuz
    +12
    I know i have one," My fathers " ww11 killed Dec.2 1944 in Germany fathers ww11 killed dec 2 1944 germany fathers ww11 killed dec 2 1944 germany
  • Gail-Saved "In God I Trust" 2010/10/06 02:45:40
    Gail-Saved "In God I Trust"
    +4
    Thank you!
  • Axl Snaks 2010/10/06 02:43:51
  • Angel 2010/10/06 02:43:36
    Angel
    +7
    Excellent post , thank you TJefferson
  • LOTR_HP~RWAC~CFM 2010/10/06 02:34:24
  • RachelLord 2010/10/06 02:30:50 (edited)
    RachelLord
    +6
    Beautiful. And what a touching tribute to those who give their lives for our Freedom. Thank you Marie and Dinkydow for sharing that lesson.
  • JT For Political Reform 2010/10/06 02:16:56
    JT For Political Reform
    +7
    I will be willing to bet anyone that obama has no clue about any of this history, nor does he care. If he finds out he will take a few folds out of the process because of the word God.
  • Joves the Instigator 2010/10/06 02:11:06 (edited)
    Joves the Instigator
    +8
    A flag draped coffin is a Patriot that has given the unltimate price at the altar of freedom. But I guess to many that is old fashioned.

Great post BTW.
  • cutter'... Joves t... 2010/10/07 00:44:32
  • Romanov~PWCM~JLA 2010/10/06 02:10:32
    Romanov~PWCM~JLA
    +14
    I feel ashamed that I did not know this! It is a great post and everybody should read it!

2014/09/20 17:16:55