The Mass Firings Begin

Allbiz - PWCM - JLA 2012/11/09 15:28:19
Yesterday, when I posted about a company in Vegas that laid off 22 employees due toi the election outcome, I recieved many replies from liberals trying to make me out as some kind of liar.

I suppose if it was just a one-time happening, that could be possible. But now, 2 days after the election, there's more.

Obama was "fired up" and so were the voters, and so now, the mass firings begin. Here's a collection of today's headlines. Please say a prayer for the families who will be suffering. Had Romney won, many of these companies would now be hiring.

Teco Coal officials announce 90 layoffs

Momentive Inc plans temporary layoffs for 150

Wilkes-Barre officials to announce mandatory layoffs

600 layoffs at Groupon

50 layoffs announced at Aniston Weapons Incinerator

Murray Energy confirms 150 layoffs at 3 subsidiaries

130 laid off in Minnesota dairy plant closure

Stanford brake plant to lay off 75

Turbocare, Oce to lay off more than 220 workers

ATI plans to lay off 172 workers in North Richland Hills

SpaceX claims its first victims as Rocketdyne lays off 100

Providence Journal lays off 23 full-time employees

CVPH lays off 17

New Energy lays off 40 employees

102 Utah miners laid off because of 'war on coal', company says

US Cellular drops Chicago, cuts 640 jobs

Career Education to cut 900 jobs, close 23 campuses

Vestas to cut 3,000 more jobs

First Energy to cut 400 jobs by 2016

Mine owner blames Obama for layoffs (54 fired last night)

Canceled program costs 115 jobs at Ohio air base

AMD trims Austin workforce - 400 jobs slashed

100 workers lose jobs as Caterpillar closes plant in Minnesota

Exide to lay off 150 workers

TE Connectivity to close Guilford plant, lay off 620

More Layoffs for Major Wind Company (3,000 jobs cut)

Cigna to lay off 1,300 workers worldwide

Ameridose to lay off 790 hundred workers

• jere.chievres 2012/11/11 17:30:08
    jere.chievres
    +1
    This is only the beginning.
  • diane RN 2012/11/11 05:10:30
    diane RN
    +1
    Among the commandments of life under the Obama administration: thou shalt not speak ill of Obamacare. Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter was hammered with Twitter abuse after informing shareholders and franchisees in August that implementing Obamacare would necessarily increase costs of running the business. Applebee’s is under the gun today after Zane Tankel, a franchisee whose company runs 40 New York-area restaurants, told Fox Business Network that a hiring freeze might be in the works. My ex who owns a small business will be firing a few employees so that he wont be over the "quota" for the mandatory health insurance. People out there need to remember that wealthy people didnt get there by being stupid...they will find ways around this.

Welch Allyn

Welch Allyn, a company that manufactures medical diagnostic equipment in central New York, announced in September that they would be laying off 275 employees, or roughly 10% of their workforce over the next three years. One of the major reasons discussed for the layoffs was a proactive response to the Medical Device Tax mandated by the new healthcare law.

Dana Holding Corp.

As recently as a week ago, a global auto parts manufacturing company in Ohio known as Dana Holding Corp., warned their employees of potential layoffs, citin...

&

Welch Allyn

Dana Holding Corp.

As recently as a week ago, a global auto parts manufacturing company in Ohio known as Dana Holding Corp., warned their employees of potential layoffs, citing "$24 million over the next six years in additional U.S. health care expenses". After laying off several white collar staffers, company insiders have hinted at more to come. The company will have to cover the additional $24 million cost somehow, which will likely equate to numerous cuts in their current workforce of 25,500 worldwide.

Stryker

One of the biggest medical device manufacturers in the world, Stryker will close their facility in Orchard Park, New York, eliminating 96 jobs in December. Worse, they plan on countering the medical device tax in Obamacare by slashing 5% of their global workforce - an estimated 1,170 positions.

Boston Scientific

In October of 2009, Boston Scientific CEO Ray Elliott, warned that proposed taxes in the health care reform bill could "lead to significant job losses" for his company. Nearly two years later, Elliott announced that the company would be cutting anywhere between 1,200 and 1,400 jobs, while simultaneously shifting investments and workers overseas - to China.

Medtronic

In March of 2010, medical device maker Medtronic warned that Obamacare taxes could result in a reduction of precisely 1,000 jobs. That plan became reality when the company cut 500 positions over the summer, with another 500 set for the end of 2013.

Others

A short list of other companies facing future layoffs at the hands of Obamacare:

Smith & Nephew - 770 layoffs
    Abbott Labs - 700 layoffs
    Covidien - 595 layoffs
    Kinetic Concepts - 427 layoffs
    St. Jude Medical - 300 layoffs
    Hill Rom - 200 layoffs
    Beyond the complete elimination of a significant number of American jobs is another looming problem created by the health care law - a shift from full-time to part-time workers.

Sean Hackbarth of Free Enterprise explains:

A JP Morgan economist "points out that 8.3 million people are working in part-time jobs even though they'd prefer full-time work. Unfortunately, because of President Obama’s health care law, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), workers in the hotel, restaurant, and retail industries could be pushed into part-time jobs working less than 30 hours per week."

"Under the health care law, if a company has more than 50 “full time equivalent” workers, a combination of full and part-time employees, but doesn’t offer “affordable” coverage that meets the government’s minimum value standard, the company will have to pay a penalty. This penalty is determined by the number of full-time employees minus 30 full-time employees. So to reiterate a very important point: part-time workers are not part of the penalty formula. The health care law creates a perverse incentive to hire part-time versus full-time workers."

Tangible examples of Obamacare causing a reduction in full-time workers:

Darden Restaurants

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Darden Restaurants, a casual dining chain best known for their Red Lobster, Olive Garden and LongHorn Steakhouse restaurants, is "experimenting with limiting the hours of some of its workers to avoid health care requirements under the Affordable Care Act when they take effect in 2014".

JANCOA Janitorial Services

The CEO of JANCOA, Mary Miller, testified to Congress that Obamacare was a "dream killer", adding that one option she had to consider "is reducing the majority of my team members to part-time employment in order to reduce the amount that I will be penalized."

Kroger

The American retailer in Cincinnati, Ohio recently was reported to be planning a significant slashing of their hourly workers. Doug Ross writes:

Operative Faith (a mid-level manager with the company) reveals that Kroger will soon join the ranks of Darden Restaurants and slash the hours of its non-exempt (hourly) workers to avoid millions in Obamacare penalties.

According to the source, Obamacare could result in tens of thousands of Kroger employees being limited to working 28 hours per week.
  • Christine/Rest in peace Pet... 2012/11/10 17:42:27 (edited)
    Christine/Rest in peace Peter Br
    +1
    And I bet the unemployment figures will stay the same. I get a kick how Obama has created 5 million jobs when every week the stats show about 350,000 new unemployment claims, and the highest new job claims at 160,000 and usually around 80,000 each month. Yet, the unemployment rate is going down? Also ever notice how the figures are constantly revised upward every week? But his minons will believe that everything is going to be rosie and bright.
  • Allbiz ... Christi... 2012/11/10 17:45:27
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +1
    Oh my. Are you asking for full disclosure?
  • Roger 2012/11/10 12:02:00 (edited)
    Roger
    +2
    I updated the list this morning. This is just the beginning folks. If this isn't enough...look at the mass layoffs going on around the world due to the fear that America will no longer have the money to buy anything.

Energizer Announces it will lay off over 10% of its global workforce. A battery plant in Maryville, Missouri will be closed in December along with a plant in Vermont.

U.S. Cellular – 980 Layoffs

Crouse Hospital -70 layoffs

Smith & Nephew – 770 layoffs

Abbott Labs – 700 layoffs

Covidien – 595 layoffs

Kinetic Concepts – 427 layoffs

St. Jude Medical – 300 layoffs

Hill Rom – 200 layoffs

Medtronic- cut 500 positions over the summer, with another 500 set for the end of 2013.

Boston Scientific - announced that the company would be cutting anywhere between 1,200 and 1,400 jobs, while simultaneously shifting investments and workers overseas – to China.

Stryker - eliminating 96 jobs in December. Worse, they plan on countering the medical device tax in Obamacare by slashing 5% of their global workforce - an estimated 1,170 positions.

Dana Holding Corp - The company will have to cover an additional $24 million cost of US Health care. They did not specify numbers but announced layoff were in the works.
  • Allbiz ... Roger 2012/11/10 16:21:10
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +2
    So many jobs have been killed in the healthcare fields. What good is Obama's healthcare plan if there is no one there to administer it?
  • Roger Allbiz ... 2012/11/10 16:33:07
    Roger
    +3
    Some people have been trying to tell other people for a long time now. Poorer quality of care, longer waits, high deductables, and no surgery, just take these pills until you die. They didn't listen.
  • Christi... Allbiz ... 2012/11/10 17:51:03
    Christine/Rest in peace Peter Br
    +1
    Our family is losing our third family care doctor since Obamacare was passed. Two specifically said it was due to Obamacare regualtions. This last doctor I do not know well enough for her to say.
  • S. Gompers 2012/11/10 09:36:09
    S. Gompers
    Normally lay offs are dictated by lack of sales.
  • Allbiz ... S. Gompers 2012/11/10 16:23:20
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +1
    Well, I can see you would be a total failure in business. I guess you're one of those examples of where it's a good thing you sit home and collect welfare. You couldn't handle the responsiblility of running a business.
  • S. Gompers Allbiz ... 2012/11/10 18:47:24
    S. Gompers
    I had that responsibility for years, was very successful.
  • Allbiz ... S. Gompers 2012/11/10 20:24:38
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +1
    Anyone who thinks that lay-offs are normally a result of lack of sales is rarely successful. I think you probably just have a too high opinion of yourself.
  • S. Gompers Allbiz ... 2012/11/11 02:31:46
    S. Gompers
    you are showing your ignorance.

Under normal circumstances if you are selling more than you can make, you hire (after all, why not go for bigger profits for yourself since profit is based on a percentage of sales). If you are making more than you can sell you lay off.

The American consumer drives jobs, any added costs are a pass through straight to the consumer.
  • Allbiz ... S. Gompers 2012/11/11 15:44:54
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    Thanks for the constant display of the the stupidity of those who think they know how to run this country.

Sales is not the only profit driver in a company. And any business manager who bases staffing solely on sales volume is an idiot destined to fail.
  • S. Gompers Allbiz ... 2012/11/12 06:35:38
    S. Gompers
    What I said was "Normally lay offs are dictated by lack of sales", and "Under normal circumstances". I never said sales is the only profit driver in a company. Therefore you would be putting words in my mouth.

However with that in mind, whether a company is selling a manufactured product or some form of services, In your world, how long do they maintain 100% staffing with diminishing or zero sales over a protracted period?

Other avenues of revenue can only carry 100% of the employees so long without the primary avenue bringing in revenue. Unless you are a government employee or some sort of socialist system where a job is a job for the state whether it turns a profit or not.

I don't run the country by the way, 535 bozo's do with an inept President.
  • Allbiz ... S. Gompers 2012/11/12 14:11:19
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    It only took you 2 days to spin your way out of your misspeak.

However, I do agree with your last sentence in your above reply.
  • S. Gompers Allbiz ... 2012/11/12 16:46:59
    S. Gompers
    I made no mistake, you made assumptions....

Whether you are a shipper, a manufacturer, a retailer, a construction company, etc., you will not allow you workforce to sit around idle and play cards because you have other "revenue streams".

That bozo's statement goes for both inept parties.

The operative word was "normally" and "Under normal circumstances", not always.
  • Allbiz ... S. Gompers 2012/11/12 20:37:19
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    Your assertion that lay-offs are "normally" due to a lack of sales was in answer to my question about who would administer Obama's healthcare if employees are laid-off.

Therefore, it was from way out in left field, just like the rest of your ideologies.

If you were paying attention, you would know there are thousands of employees sitting idle and playing cards thanks to the waste of Obama's stimulus funds. For example: employees of LG Chem were brought in with great fanfare, funded in large part by Obama's "green energy" money that's supposed to help support the development of lithium ion batteries that will help transform major industries into bastions of environmental goodness.

One problem: There's almost no real demand for these products, so employees are paid to play cards, watch movies and volunteer their time helping nonprofits. They've got health insurance all right, but they're not producing or selling anything.

You fail.
  • S. Gompers Allbiz ... 2012/11/13 08:36:58
    S. Gompers
    I never paid people to play cards, I laid off and hired as needed, I can't speak for others or the government.

"who would administer Obama's healthcare if employees are laid-off."

I see nothing of this in your original post above. Your original post stated;

"The Mass Firings Begin

Obama was "fired up" and so were the voters, and so now, the mass firings begin. Here's a collection of today's headlines. Please say a prayer for the families who will be suffering. Had Romney won, many of these companies would now be hiring."

And then you proceeded to name companies laying off and how many. I see no assertions of Obama/ Romneycare as you reference with the above statement of "in answer to my question about who would administer Obama's healthcare if employees are laid-off."

Any company you mention who is "surviving" on stimulus will either fail or lay off after the stimulus runs out. I am not a mind reader so perhaps you better edit your original post in order to...

"The Mass Firings Begin

Any company you mention who is "surviving" on stimulus will either fail or lay off after the stimulus runs out. I am not a mind reader so perhaps you better edit your original post in order to help you put the square pegs in the round hole better.

I am not a big fan of Corporatism. Companies that cannot exist on their own merit must be allowed to fail, that includes the financial institutions. And if any criminal conduct has occured, the architects of that fraud should be punished. We will not have a successful recovery if we keep rewarding people for bad behavior.
  • Allbiz ... S. Gompers 2012/11/13 14:32:29
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    My God! Are you really that stupid? How many hours did it take for your business venture to fail?

I'm done with you. You're too much of an idiot for me to waste my time on.

Reply back knowing I'm going to be ignoring you and that will show just how much of an idiot you are.
  • S. Gompers Allbiz ... 2012/11/13 16:16:51
    S. Gompers
    Never failed, sold for tidy profit.

You may continue worshiping stimulus now, which by the way is also not a normal condition. However I guess you think the stimulus will go on forever, I hope you are wrong.
  • AL 2012/11/10 07:05:17
    AL
    +3
    I guess those that voted for Obama,are now geting just what they voted for after all!
  • Barbara Hasler 2012/11/10 06:22:47
    Barbara Hasler
    +3
    This is just the start , AB. When Boehner said the Healthcare mess was here to stay. It triggered the layoffs. I heard an interview with one company head who was shutting his business down because of it. I guess the idiot-in-chief wants America on its knees and vulnerable to attack. I predict rioting in the streets. I hope that DC gets an extremely large dose of it. I got a notice of drive for the 28th Amendment to force all the minions in DC along with the bureaucrats to be on The Health Care Mess. I have always felt that if it wasn't good enough for the president , it certainly wasn't good enough for his employers.
  • thefatguy 2012/11/10 06:13:20
    thefatguy
    +3
    "Liberals" deserve to suffer for their ignorance, arrogance and cowardice. I hope thieves break in and loot their homes. It's just redistribution of wealth, right? I have zero sympathy for those who voted for Obama, including my own family. You reap what you sow!
  • diane RN 2012/11/10 04:32:34
    diane RN
    +4
    Haha you Liberal jackasses, you get what you wanted..........

Last night's victory for the President marks the first time since its inception that Obamacare is no longer a what-if; it is the future of health care in America.

It also means a near immediate impact on the economy. With 20 or so new or higher taxes set to be implemented, ranging from a $123 billion surtax on investment income, through the $20 billion medical device tax, all the way down to the $600 million executive compensation limit, Obamacare will be a nearly unbearable tax burden on the economy.

Who will pay? The middle-class workforce, of course.

So with another four years for President Obama to look forward to, and the obvious inevitability of Obamacare that this entails, let's examine the very real jobs that will be lost, and the very real lives that will be affected.

Welch Allyn

Dana Holding Corp.

As recently as a week ago, a global auto part...

&

Welch Allyn

Dana Holding Corp.

Stryker

Boston Scientific

Medtronic

Others

Smith & Nephew - 770 layoffs
    Abbott Labs - 700 layoffs
    Covidien - 595 layoffs
    Kinetic Concepts - 427 layoffs
    St. Jude Medical - 300 layoffs
    Hill Rom - 200 layoffs

Darden Restaurants

JANCOA Janitorial Services

Kroger

Summary

This is by no means, meant to be an exhaustive list. But it is meant to provide examples of real companies, real jobs, and real names, soon to be added to the growing list of employment casualties provided by the inevitable implementation of Obamacare.

Last night, America voted for four more years of President Obama and his destructive economic and health care policies. By extension, America last night voted their approval of the aforementioned layoffs and overall work reduction.

Now we must accept the inevitable. Welcome to mourning in America.
  • Barbara... diane RN 2012/11/10 23:57:07 (edited)
    Barbara Hasler
    +1
    Good post, Diane. Have you noticed the tv commercials barking supplementary care policies to the seniors. Many have a caveat as to the spiel that you can go to any doctor or hospital. They qualify the above remark with , "If the doctor or hospital takes medicare."
  • diane RN Barbara... 2012/11/11 04:39:40
    diane RN
    +2
    Docs have told me they will be getting 30% less on Medicare payments with Obamacare than they recieve now which is a pittance. The person who cuts your hair makes more per visit than your doctor will. And you wonder why they are retiring in record numbers? LOL
  • MW121 2012/11/10 03:28:09
    MW121
    +4
    http://www.washingtontimes.co...

Here's even more...

I run a small business and I've already laid out my plans to lay people off at the end of the year.. I was just waiting to see how the election was going to play out then I would know what to prepare for.. Now we know, so I'm moving forward with my plans in preparation of the added costs in 2013 and beyond.
  • Ozzyboy 2012/11/10 02:51:14
    Ozzyboy
    +7
    I think only the dems should be fired. They brought on this mess.
  • AL Ozzyboy 2012/11/10 07:07:30
    AL
    +2
    I just wish they had the guts to admit who they voted for is all!
  • Chokmah 2012/11/10 01:54:39
  • topcat128 2012/11/10 01:16:04
    topcat128
    +7
    The layoffs have just started. You haven't seen anything yet. Wait till 2014 when Obamacare really hit us.
  • Popeye 2012/11/10 01:14:56
  • reaper 2012/11/10 01:03:14
  • Popeye reaper 2012/11/10 01:15:44
  • AL reaper 2012/11/10 07:09:30
    AL
    +1
    And yet it all started with Obama care right?I just hope you're happy now anyway!
  • dubbie 2012/11/10 00:54:50
    dubbie
    +2
    Kn-aw on them feet libby's ,You`re the ones that chewed them off , Want a little taco sauce to go with it ? my friend
  • ed 2012/11/10 00:52:35
    ed
    +3
    What do they know they probably have not worked a day since obama's been in the white house.
  • john ri... ed 2012/11/10 02:09:48
    john richardson
    +8
    I'll bet they're going to say big business and the republicans are in this together to make Obozo look bad.
  • Barbara... john ri... 2012/11/10 06:25:11
    Barbara Hasler
    +3
    They are looking for the "freebies" instead of the reality of the damage the community organizer has done to our nation.

2014/08/02 06:45:32