The Liberal Mind Rejects Sad Facts by Dennis Prager

Conservative in California 2010/11/16 06:56:05
"I recently devoted my biweekly column in the Jewish Journal of Los Angeles to analyzing why most Jews believe that people are basically good despite the fact that this belief is neither rational nor Jewish. In a lifetime of teaching and writing on Judaism, I have never encountered a single normative statement in 3,000 years of Jewish writing that asserted that man is basically good.

As I expected, the reaction -- apparently all from Jewish liberals -- was entirely negative. Almost an entire page of the journal was devoted to letters attacking me. One of the seven letters -- from a prominent Hollywood screenwriter -- bordered on hysteria.

The question is, why?

Read More: http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/253353/libe...

• Mrs. V 2010/11/16 16:09:04
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    Mrs. V
    +5
    They reject it because they REJECT GOD. If man is basically good, he is therefore not in need of the SAVIOR, Jesus Christ.

The truth is that the God given conscience of man keeps him in check. This is why we can all seem to live together in peacefulness. Have you ever wondered why there isn't more crime than there is?

The Bible states that: All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. Romans 3:23.

You can change mankind's surroundings, technologies, etc, but you can't change his heart. Only God can..
    Liberals just don't want to hear about God. They are humanists.

• leth 2010/11/18 08:56:10
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    leth
    +1
    good for him..brilliant..
  • Boo 2010/11/17 19:45:11
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    Boo
    +1
    "People are not basically good.

Leftists tend to reject this because a) It is too painful to accept, and b) it undermines the leftist dogma that people do bad because of outside forces -- poverty, capitalism, racism, etc."

They reject logic, but prove this is true by their actions of villifying those who disagree with them!
  • Son of Furious 2010/11/17 04:21:38
    Other...
    Son of Furious
    I selected "other" before I finished reading the article. I agreed with mostly if not all with what he said.
  • zbacku 2010/11/17 01:06:38
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    zbacku
    +1
    To believe that man is basically good flies in the face of history and the world around us.
    Of course, when has a liberal EVER let facts get in the way of their agenda?
  • tncdel 2010/11/17 00:21:28
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    tncdel
    +2
    A classic example of how Libs opt for self-imposed cluelessness is how they deal with the fact that the Quran commands all Muslims to kill, oppress and annihilate all who don't believe as they do. When something is too ugly for them to bear dealing with in a rational manner, PC kool-aid drinkers simply refuse to believe it.

See:
  • Bronti 2010/11/16 23:45:08
    I disagree
    Bronti
  • Rabbit 2010/11/16 22:59:02
    Other...
    Rabbit
    +1
    I had no idea liberals had minds. I thought they operated on a collective, with Nancy Palosi at the controls. pelosiliberals minds operated collective nancy palosi controls
  • ronbo51 2010/11/16 20:17:02
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    ronbo51
    +2
    liberal mind is a waste

the only cure i see is a LIFETIME PRESCRIPTION OF PROZAC and THIS~~~ DIY lobotomy cure lifetime prescription prozac liberals need a   lobotomy cure lifetime prescription prozac
  • Carl 2010/11/16 20:05:21
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    Carl
    +1
    Free will also plays a role in the battle of good and bad.
  • ☆Sheila☆ 2010/11/16 19:44:04 (edited)
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    ☆Sheila☆
    +2
    That is an interseting last sentiment. Most of us were far more liberal when we were younger. This gives a good reason why. The fact is everything in this article seems to be very self explanitory, but rarely stated. The left must believe in humans because they don't believe in God is a great observation too!!

Thank you for posting this. It puts to words ideas that have been rolling around in my head for a while now without the right words........
  • teachaman~PWCM~JLA 2010/11/16 19:01:04
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    teachaman~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Prager is, in a word, brilliant!
  • Don Heath 2010/11/16 16:18:56
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    Don Heath
    +1
    For the Jewish community to get in an uproar about this is just plain stupid. Who are they that they think among thier millions there is not one who is not basically good? Give me a break, there are good and bad and even evil people in every race and creed and colour and nationality.. they are no exception. I think they are too hung up onthis " god's chosen people " crap. We are all Gods chosen people and they better remember that.
  • ETpro 2010/11/16 16:16:26
    I disagree
    ETpro
    +1
    Mankind is inherently evil is no more true than mankind is inherently good. Neither extreme is supported by fact or research. Michael Prager's view is supported by the 19th century psuedo-science of Social Darwinism. But that view led to early 20th century eugenics and to the Holocaust. Small wonder liberal, thinking Jews might reject it even if it also leads to the worship of Ayn Rand rugged individualism and free-market perfection which might have some appeal to them.
  • ☆Sheila☆ ETpro 2010/11/16 19:45:22
    ☆Sheila☆
    +2
    So there is a school of Darwinism that the left does reject??
  • ETpro ☆Sheila☆ 2010/11/17 06:28:05
    ETpro
    +1
    There really wasn't any school involved in Social Darwinism and its modern offshoots. In the later 19th and early 20th century, Yale Professor William Graham Sumner taught the concept as if it were science, but there was no science underlying it. It was pure metaphysics and wishful thinking. Yet because he taught so many influential people, it seeped into our culture as if it were scientific fact and it has, in one form or another, hung on until today. Of course, nobody today would ever admit to the name, Social Darwinism, but they preach it without recognizing it is the same junk science Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin both used to advance their causes.
  • Conserv... ETpro 2010/11/17 07:44:14
    Conservative in California
    +1
    It was the Progressives who preached the gospel of social darwinism and eugenics
  • ETpro Conserv... 2010/11/18 07:20:13
    ETpro
    Wrong as usual. It was intellectuals, but the predated the progressive movement. When progressives came along, they were appalled at the idea.
  • Conserv... ETpro 2010/11/17 07:43:08
    Conservative in California
    +1
    Progressivism led to eugenics...and Central Planning
  • Boo ETpro 2010/11/17 19:49:19
    Boo
    +1
    Go back and read it again, since you missed it the first time:

"I did not write that man is inherently evil. I wrote that he is not basically good. And, yes, that does make the world sad. So do disease, earthquakes, death and all the unjust suffering in the world. But sad facts remain facts."

Or are you just sticking to your liberal story?
  • Mrs. V 2010/11/16 16:09:04
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    Mrs. V
    +5

• Giantfan Mrs. V 2010/11/16 22:59:04
    Giantfan
    +2
    Well it's nice to know you are so smart. Heck a genius as I see it. You have insight into what liberals think. The genius is not being liberal yourself you know all about what liberals think. The only problem with that genius is that like most of what conservatives think it's half assed backwards. Most people are good but there is also some bad in everyone. If most people were bad we'd have more people in prison then out and as you can see that's not the case. Lie one time or think one bad thought as you did with liberals and I did with you and we all fall short of the glory of God.
    Why isn't there more crime then there is? Good question. The rightful answer is "there is more crime then we know of". Not everyone gets caught.
  • Mrs. V Giantfan 2010/11/17 01:41:50 (edited)
    Mrs. V
    +2
    You make my point. And I will let you in on a secret. I spent some of my life being a radical liberal, and I know how they think. Like David Horowitz, I have seen both sides.

http://www.horowitzfreedomcen...
  • Giantfan Mrs. V 2010/11/17 18:34:54
    Giantfan
    +1
    And I spent my youth being very conservative but times and situations change. You changed as did I. Believing in God does not make one good or bad. It's how one lives that is either as God wishes or not. One thing I don't agree with is your statement of "if a man is generally good he is not in the need of Jesus". Not so. Jesus died for "all" men, Jew and non gential, sinner and non sinner (although I assume there are no non sinners) . That article is right about one thing. "We took a step or two back". IMO that's all conservatives know how to do, or maybe i should say that's what conservatives do best. Move backwards. There is something about moving forward that scares them, it means they have to leave their comfort zone and go where they haven't been before. They feel more comfortable with the known then the unknown. Progressives are like the sky divers who love the thrill and adventure and the conservatives are saying, no way. I'm not jumping out of a plane. It's dangerous. So is driving and talking on a cell phone. But people do it. I prefer moving forward. I've already been there and done that so it's time to move on.
  • Mrs. V Giantfan 2010/11/17 20:40:32 (edited)
    Mrs. V
    +1
    I didn't say that. Implied in what I said is the commonly held belief that Humans do not need God, if they are good. As I pointed out. All are sinners. There is none righteous, no not even one.
    Yes, Jesus died for all, but one must accept that to be saved.

Conservatism is about conserving the Constitution. It is the Constitution we do not want to wander from. The Problem with Progressives is that they are just Communists in a new skin. The end result is always the same, to oppress the masses. They will promise you the moon, if you will just give them your freedom. That is all, plain and simple. The term progressive just means "to take small steps to reach the objective". Therefore, to be progressive is to take us back into a form of slavery or serfdom.
    I don't think you have done enough study on your terminology. Progressives were the champions of euthanasia, abortion, eugenics, social engineering, etc.

Conservatives prefer to live in freedom. I guess Progressives prefer the Nanny state.
  • Giantfan Mrs. V 2010/11/17 21:02:11
    Giantfan
    +1
    First as a born again Christian I think it is a misconception that one must believe in Jesus to be saved. I believe one must believe in what Jesus preached to be saved. Like helping others, being kind and forgiving. Jesus wasn't a man. Jesus was a way. Man cannot be God and God cannot be man. Can God take the form of man, if He wants but since He is God He can never be man. Jesus taught us the way. He even said that. "I am the way".
    Conservatisn isn't about conserving the constitution. Conservativism was around long before the constitution. By conservatives own admission. Claiming those who wrote the constitution were conservatives meaning they were conservative "before" the constitution was written. Though not all of the founding fathers were conservative.
    Progressves are like modern man compaired to conservative cavemen. How far do conservatives regress? To the 1700's or much further? It goes back much further.
    I think your idea of what progressive means is 180 degrees off the mark. But that's no more then I have seen from other conservatives and what I have come to expect from them. Good luck with that freedom thing.
  • Mrs. V Giantfan 2010/11/18 21:29:04
    Mrs. V
    Well, we disagree on a number of things.

Yes, God can take the form of man. Jesus was God incarnate or God in the Flesh. Jesus is the Way, He did not teach the way. No one will be saved by their good works. Jesus clearly states in (John 6:29) The Work of God is to believe in HIM whom He has sent.
    And that belief entails believing that all have sinned, and without Jesus Christ there is no salvation.

You can think what you want. I am using the term conservative only in the political sense of the word and what it means. Considering the fact that Hitler, Stalin, Marx and Lenin all thought they were progressive, I will take conservatism. Conservatism is the champion of the individual (FREEDOM), Progressivism the champion of the collective(OPPRESSION).
  • Giantfan Mrs. V 2010/11/18 22:12:33
    Giantfan
    +1
    Wow. So I'm oppressed. That's news to me. I'm so happy to hear you were close friends with Hitler, Stalin, Marx and Lenin to know that they were progressives. Funny. When conservatism looks barbaric you conservatives say every evil person was a progressive. Now you say that everyone who doesn't believe in Jesus won't be saved. Not likely. That's conservatism at it's ugly best. God won't condem 2/3's of His children to hell. No way no how. See how backwards conservative thinking is. That's like saying a father who is a big Cowboys fan would condem his kids to death because the liked and believed in other teams. It's really stupid. No, conservatism is a drag on forward ways of thinking. It's taking the easy way out. Just live in the past and let other do all the work of moving forward.
  • Mrs. V Giantfan 2010/11/19 04:27:12
    Mrs. V
    Well, you can believe what you want. Sounds like you have never read the New Testament.
    John 5:24 He who hears MY words and believes in HIM who sent ME, has eternal life and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
    You are confusing progress with the Progressive Movement. The Progressive Movement is nothing more than communism in a new wrapper. That, is not moving forward. It is a dead end.
  • Giantfan Mrs. V 2010/11/19 13:10:13
    Giantfan
    +1
    Read your own writting.
    "He who believes in "MY WORDS" and who believes in HIM (God) . As I stated to many, the teachings of Jesus is "THE WAY". I was proven right by your own post and the writings of the NT. I have read the NT as have you. The difference lies in the comprehension of the teachings. You're not listening to the words of Jesus but to your own ideology.
  • Mrs. V Giantfan 2010/12/02 18:23:05
    Mrs. V
    John 5:24 He who hears MY words and believes HIM who sent ME, has eternal life and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

What do YOU think Jesus is talking about? You had better go back and read that passage. Whose ideology are you using?? Obviously your own made up version of the truth.

John 5:21-30 (New American Standard Bible)

21"For just as the Father raises the dead and (A)gives them life, even so (B)the Son also gives life to whom He wishes.

22"For not even the Father judges anyone, but (C)He has given all judgment to the Son,

23so that all will honor the Son even as they honor the Father. (D)He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

24"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and (E)believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and (F)does not come into judgment, but has (G)passed out of death into life.
  • Giantfan Mrs. V 2010/12/02 20:03:52
    Giantfan
    +1
    According to your past posts Conservatism is the champion of individual freedoms and progressivism is the champion of opression. Really. Did Jesus die so you can have individual freedoms here on earth. No. Did he die for all of us so we could someday enter heaven. Yes He did. Now if conservativism ='s individualism and Jesus died for everyone can't you see that one is the polar opposite of the other. Isn't it Satan you want's people to be selfish, and greedy, seff centered think only of themselves? Sounds alot like how you discribed conservatism.
  • Mrs. V Giantfan 2010/12/03 00:01:03
    Mrs. V
    Individualism is a far cry from selfishness, greed, etc.
    Jesus did not die for the collective, he died for EACH and EVERY single one of us. We do not enter heaven in groups, nor do we believe in groups. Each of us will stand before God, we will not be judged on the acts of another.
    You really don't have a clue about Christianity do you? Isn't it time you believed the truth. You are basically an unbelieving, believer.
    Yes, Jesus did die so we could have individual freedoms here on earth. But that does not mean we do not have an obligation to our fellow man. How can I help my fellow man if I have nothing with which to help him?
  • Giantfan Mrs. V 2010/12/03 17:56:27
    Giantfan
    +1
    First you say, Jesus did not die for the collective. Then you say Jesus dies for each and everyone of us. I know how you are thinking but it really makes very little sense. Because each and everyone of us together, those that lived before Him and all that live after Him, He died for. "Everyone" is not an individual. Everyone is a group although we will be judged on our own actions as individuals Jesus died for "EVERYONE". Jesus did not die so we could have individual freedoms on earth. I challange you to show me where He ever said that. He said, My kingdom is not of this earth. Individual freedoms is a human thing, it's a political thing but it wasn't from Jesus. It was from man.
  • dlsofsetx 2010/11/16 15:48:42
  • Bob 2010/11/16 15:46:28
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    Bob
    +3
    His years of observation is evident. Far too often idealism drives a persons beliefs when acknowledgement of basic facts should be the driving force towards the foundation of what we must accept as reality.
  • Dave 2010/11/16 15:41:10
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    Dave
    +2
    Liberals think they deserve to feel good all the time.
    That must be why they want to legalize drugs.
  • WhyZeeGuy 2010/11/16 15:14:33
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    WhyZeeGuy
    +2
    I was a prison guard for 8 years. Believe me, there are some very evil people in the world...
  • patrick 2010/11/16 14:44:00 (edited)
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    patrick
    +2
    It is a well known fact that all liberals come from LaLa land and so Dennis is, by definition of LaLa, correct.
  • T. O'Dea 2010/11/16 14:22:22
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    T. O'Dea
    +2
    Well written and froth with the truth.... leftist (liberals) have to remove their rose colored glasses, see the world for what it is.
  • NidStyles 2010/11/16 13:13:29
    I agree with Dennis Prager
    NidStyles
    +4
    Human's are opportunist's at heart. When you learn how the rest of the world truly is, then you start to see thing's for what they really are. I honestly believe that to stop Leftist thinking you really need to expose them to the result's of it. Put them in the mine's in China. Take them to sleep in a house in Argentina while the Police bust in and take your possession's forcibly . Go live in the gutter in Cuba waiting to get approved for your free education, only to find out you are an undesirable because you are too intelligent. Go be a Hebrew child in 1930's Hungary with Soro's as your neighbor.

2014/04/21 04:37:41