The left or the Right. What side of the political spectrum are you on

Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat ) 2012/04/08 20:59:47
I am a Republican
I am a Democrat
I am a Libertarian
I am a Moderate and my party has left me behind
I am a Conservative and i have lost faith in my party
I am an Independent or a Centrist and i lean to the left
I am an Independent or a Centrist and i lean to the Right
I am a Moderate or today would be called an Independent that leans to the left, since the moderates in both parties seam to be disappearing. I was going to make a poll here to show everyone what is wrong with both parties since i normally attack the republican party. Then i came across this webpage and the Author was explaining the corruption of the two party system and how we portray them as one person when they are actually completely different than what we see on the surface.
After you read through the list i would like to see where everyone is at and why.

The mainstream media – including Fox
News, Limbaugh and the big-time media that calls itself "Christian" – would have you think that the
grand battle is between the left and the right.

This is such a lie.

Here are some examples.

GW Bush outspent Clinton by $1
trillion per year and continued every last federal welfare program – and added
a few of his own – and left-wingers hated him.

Obama has continued all of Bush’s
wars – and added a few more – and right-wingers hate him.

Left-wingers say they support
civil liberties, yet look the other way while Obama continues with the Bush
surveillance state.

Right-wingers say they support
individual freedom, yet have no apparent problem with rogue police and the fact
that America has the world’s highest incarceration rate.

Left-wingers
want us to panic and give up our freedom out of fear of global warming.

Right-wingers
want us to panic and give up our freedom out of fear of terrorism.

Left-wingers
say they are tolerant, but want to stifle public expressions of Christianity.

Right-wingers oppose Obamacare
because it puts medical decisions in the hands of the government, yet they get
their undies in a bunch about the idea of legal medical marijuana.

Left-wingers
want to regulate how fast your toilet can flush.

Right-wingers
want to ban online poker.

The left has
its limousine liberals.

The right
has its chicken hawks.

The left has
Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy, John Edwards and countless others.

The right
has Newt Gingrich, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain
and countless others.

No matter which wing gets the
upper hand in government, the result is the same: perpetuation of the
welfare-warfare-police-nanny state.

As Butler Shaffer once wrote, “Left and Right are only two wings on the same bird of prey.”

The hypocrisy is endless.

In
the words of REM
, elections
anymore are just tournaments of lies.

As I wrote just before the 2008 election:Ultimately, the same people run the show. They set up
this false left-right paradigm and get people fighting endlessly over
meaningless junk. There is a great line in Macbeth about "a tale Told by
an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing." The real problem is
not the media, Washington, Hollywood, etc. The real problem is that so many
people are so willing to believe what their chosen spinmeisters tell them, no
matter how absurd.

• Candy 2012/04/18 18:55:12
    I am a Republican
    Candy
    +1
    More libertarian.
  • CaptnSassy 2012/04/11 01:37:32
    CaptnSassy
    +1
    I vote the person and or ideal not the party
  • Gยเtคг ... CaptnSassy 2012/04/11 01:50:03
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    me too
  • bmacklowe 2012/04/10 09:45:49
    I am a Republican
    bmacklowe
    +1
    I vote Republican at the top of the ballot since 1996, but I have voted for Democrats for some lower ballot races. Since I consider myself fairly conservative on many issues, I did not choose the moderate option, but I do fall in the middle on some issues. It might be more helpful to ask "Far right" "Far left" and everything in-between. "Republican" and "Democrat" are very broadly defined.
  • Gยเtคг ... bmacklowe 2012/04/10 11:09:15
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    that is why i gave an option of independent that lean left or right. Which is the category many fall in because they normally do not vote party, but they vote for the candidate they think will better lead. Most democrats and republicans these days are far left or far right. Which is why i added Moderate and conservative, those were the two core party policies of each party and the parties seem to have forgotten that. I am actually a Moderate that normally votes Democrat, but will vote for someone else if i feel he is a better candidate.
  • bmacklowe Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/25 21:53:01
    bmacklowe
    I suppose if you are voting simply on who you feel is the more competent, you would vote for either option. However, both parties have platforms, and if you disagree with most of that platform you can't possibly vote for the guy you disagree less with. 99% of the time, you are going to agree with one party over the other unless they dramatically change their platform from one election to the next. The only time this does not apply is when the current incumbent has been so disappointing to his supporters that they stay home or vote for the other candidate holding their nose.
  • The Sane One 2012/04/09 21:30:15
    The Sane One
    +1
    The GOP has gone WAY too far to the right.
  • Gยเtคг ... The San... 2012/04/09 21:39:11
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    So have the Left, too far left
    +1
    I am a social liberal, an economic conservative and a civil rights libertarian.
  • Gยเtคг ... sjalan 2012/04/09 18:20:08
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    boy, where ya going to find one of those? lol
  • sjalan Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/09 20:55:55
  • Gยเtคг ... sjalan 2012/04/09 21:31:20
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    i know who you need, same guy i support
  • sjalan Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/09 21:45:55
    +1
    I remember that debate and I had indeed narrowed my choice to him and Clinton
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/04/09 14:41:20
    I am a Republican
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +2
    Ok, now that I said it but I'm not the same Republican that my grandfathers nor my Dad was. My grandfathers were known as "Black Republican, meaning they only voted one way straight Republican party! My father well, I think he would vote either way, who was the best person for the Job. Me, I'm in the same mind set, I vote whats going to help our country the most.
  • 9th of 9 2012/04/09 10:04:54
    9th of 9
    +1
    Government is power, there is no denying it. Click on the scale below and find your place as to where you feel comfortable with the power of government. The real political spectrum
  • rustyshackelford 2012/04/09 07:22:39
  • Axe Grinder 2012/04/09 07:04:07
    Axe Grinder
    +1
    They're all crooks ! Right now, as it stands, I'm actually starting to lean more to the right. I guess, I'm in a different tax bracket now !
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2012/04/09 03:54:54
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    I am pretty centered, I support a womans right to choose and the death penalty. I would love to see Obamacare gone and marajuana legalized. I support gay marriage and would love to see people on welfare drug tested, it's endless for me and I agree most far lefties and far righties are hypocrits, Libertarians make sense to me but I don't agree with them on everything.
  • Gยเtคг ... Lee The... 2012/04/09 18:35:30
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    Libertarians mostly on the economy and mainly because they believe we should build and buy American because thats is the best way to keep our country strong. Other than that, i agree more with the left on most issues, but not too far left. If am to vote for a republican they would have to be closer to the middle or have the beliefs of a lunchpail republican. What i would rather see done with people on Welfare, is if you are capable of working then go get a job and stop freeloading of the backs of the people that work for a living, if they are not disabled then they should treat welfare like unemployment, there should be a time limit. But the thing about the left and right, i think the Republican party is aboout to fall off the cliff, and the more they open their mouths, the more i can not stand what they stand for. Democrats have always had a liberal side and have gone too far liberal in my opinion, I agree more with a JFK and Kucinich than i do with an Obama. With Obamas healthcare, i would have rather seen a universal Clinton style HC than one with a mandate. This is where i think Romney supporters are fake. They can not stand that Obama passed it, but they will vote for Romney. Romney and Obama are one in the same if you ask me, and that is way i said of all the Candidates Romney scares me the least. Newt i do not trust since he somehow managed to profit from the mortgage crisis and Santorum is just plan nuts. OK you get the point. lol
  • Lee The... Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/09 21:27:12
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    I agree with you on healthcare but I was thinking more like a Insurance pool, the less you make the less you pay. We have something like that in our state for children and it's great, I have had to use it a few times. I liked Clintons idea with welfare, he wanted to call it workfare and that meant you had to do charity work or volunteer work 20 hours a week while collecting but it was one of those things he didn't follow through on. =( If I vote Republican it will be for Romney, he is for sure the sanist of the bunch, I don't love him but he made him self wealthy maybe he could do something with the economy?
  • Gยเtคг ... Lee The... 2012/04/09 21:38:37
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    thats what they did for walfare recipients in the town, springfield Ohio. That is a really good plan. I personally do not thing we can fix the economy until we get the middle class strong again. Thats is why Clinton was successful in restoring the economy, you have to put money in the hands of the people that buy merchandise and to do this, we need to stop sending good paying jobs overseas and we need Americans to focus on the buy American movement, which i think many more are these days. I just think this collapse has been coming for many years and it is going to take many years to repair the damage from both parties. I really wish Hillary would have won the electionn, i think we may be further along than we are. Hard to say really!!
  • Lee The... Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/09 22:07:10
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    I was shocked she didn't win! I always buy American when I can and I avoid dollar stores and places like that. Neither party cares about the middle class, one caters to the poor and the other the rich. My govenor has made some changes that people are unhappy about, he is catering to big companies to try and get them to move back to New Jersey, his plan is that it will bring back jobs since we still have a very high unemployment rate and also lighten the tax burden on home owners, our property taxes are outrageous. I don't know if it will work but I'm watching!
  • Gยเtคг ... Lee The... 2012/04/09 23:14:54
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    you do not even want to talk about governors, lol. What we need is a middle class party that will help to lift the people out of poverty. That is why i was for Obama, because he seemed to cared about the middle class, but then he got elected and kept many of the same policies in tact that helped crash the economy. I just do not get it, how we keep falling for the same BS over and over again. People seem to forget how things were 10 years ago, when the markets were very unstable, i remember going to work wondering if i was going to have a job week after week, then things seemed to clear up and then start all over again. This has gone on far longer than it should have. I know they have the answers but that would mean they would have to turn their backs on big business, and i doubt they will do that.
  • Lee The... Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/10 01:52:07
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    They do seem to change once they are elected don't they! LOL I just remembered how you are not a fan of your govenor!
  • Gยเtคг ... Lee The... 2012/04/10 03:08:54
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    i just have a hard time supporting someone that turns their back on the people that put him in office
  • Lee The... Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/10 13:12:47
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    I know but it seems once they're in they all turn their backs on us.
  • Gยเtคг ... Lee The... 2012/04/11 01:35:24
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    seems to be the case, then here is what we do. we all get together and get everyone else to vote 3rd party. Get rid of both major parties and try something new :)
  • Lee The... Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/11 23:20:01
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    That would be fantastic but do you think we'll ever see that in our lifetime?
  • Gยเtคг ... Lee The... 2012/04/11 23:38:48
  • Lee The... Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/11 23:39:35
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    Me neither. =(
  • Leah 2012/04/09 02:59:45
    I am a Democrat
    Leah
    +1
    I'm pretty far to the left.
  • ehrhornp 2012/04/09 02:26:45 (edited)
    I am a Democrat
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Republicans are the alternative and I don't want to go through another economic crash that they tend to deliver time and time again. Republicans have a history of screwing up the economy and I am frankly tired of their voodoo economics. Democrats are not much better but at least they don't wrap themselves around God as much as the republicans do.
  • Gยเtคг ... ehrhornp 2012/04/09 02:30:04
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    What? there for a min i thought Clinton was a republican, seems Republicans take the credit for the historic economy we had in the 90's.
  • ehrhornp Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/09 02:33:49
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Well Clinton was the best conservative president we have had in decades, certainly better than any republican. He did what republicans only promised but never delivered. He balanced the federal budget. And he did this by increasing taxes on the rich, somethng republicans claimed would result in a major depession. Pathetic idiots.
  • Gยเtคг ... ehrhornp 2012/04/09 02:42:28
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    i have been passing around a lot of bong hits to some Republicans tonight. I really can not believe how they can not understand logic
  • ehrhornp Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/09 02:48:01
    ehrhornp
    +1
    I believe republicans have a genetic defect. They also seem to have a need to wrap themselves in God.
  • Gยเtคг ... ehrhornp 2012/04/09 18:40:49
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    I do not have a problem with people supporting a religion, what i do have a problem with is someone saying they are a constitutionalist but want to take away a persons right to choose, or make any law as far as that goes because that is their belief. To me that is wrong and it is selfish and against what the constitution is all about
  • ehrhornp Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/09 19:46:43
    ehrhornp
    +1
    I have a problem with people who wrap themselves in religion but then promptly ignore that religion's basic teachings. And then try to force their religion on others. Just disgusting. What these people don't understand is that if you combine gov. and religion, a Muslim related to Bin Laden could end up giving your child religious lessons. I know many will say cannot happen but if you listen to the paranoid freaks on the right, Muslims are already taking over this country.
  • Gยเtคг ... ehrhornp 2012/04/09 19:51:54
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    cant argue with that
  • ehrhornp Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/09 19:54:27
    ehrhornp
    +1
    I know. We have one muslim in the house or senate I believe and of course Obama is a secret Muslim. lol The paranoia of the right is just amazing. I wonder how they can get out of bed each morning.

2014/07/24 17:03:49