The Justice Department announced today that it has filed a lawsuit against the owner and operator of the Heritage Point mobile home park in Montgomery, Ala. ... is discrimination is well and alive?

poet4justice 2012/09/12 04:40:38

The Justice Department announced today that it has filed a lawsuit against the owner and operator of the Heritage Point mobile home park in Montgomery, Ala., alleging that the companies and their employees or officers discriminated against African-Americans.

The complaint, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama, names several defendants, including Lawrence Properties Inc., which manages Heritage Point, William Bounds, the district supervisor for Lawrence Properties, Lawrence at Lakewood LLC, which owns the property and Michael Lawrence, the president of the Lawrence at Lakewood, LLC. The complaint alleges that Lawrence instructed property managers not to rent to African-American applicants at Heritage Point or other mobile home parks managed by Lakewood throughout Alabama and Georgia.

“No one should be prevented from living in a mobile home park or anywhere else just because of their race,” said Thomas E. Perez, Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division. “It takes courage to come forward and report such discrimination. We will continue to defend the rights of those who step forward to report discrimination by holding owners and managers who violate the law accountable for their discriminatory conduct.”

To read more, click here.

• daniel wayne 2012/09/12 18:41:51
    no, because
    daniel wayne
    since the law has come to defend minorities, racism as far as business goes, is nearly
    impossible. i can tell you this from experience though, in houston, if you cant speak spanish, there's places ( restaurants, tire shops, department stores, etc.) where you will completely ignored by the staff.
  • Navin J... daniel ... 2012/10/20 10:42:15
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    if you CAN'T speak spanish?
  • sandra.hemmes 2012/09/12 17:26:32
    yes, because
    sandra.hemmes
    The Justice Department needs to arrest itself for allowing its leader to be ABOVE THE LAW, IE, HOLDER.
  • YepIDidItSo 2012/09/12 13:57:38
    yes, because
    YepIDidItSo
    Always going to be discrimination. This happens everywhere. Would be ashamed to file a lawsuit because someone won't let me live in their trailer park.
  • ♥dreamer-leigh♥ 2012/09/12 13:38:24
    ♥dreamer-leigh♥
    Racism unfortunately will go on and on because of those that keep fueling the fire...would be great if all bigotry and hate for mankind ceased to exist.
  • barry e staats 2012/09/12 12:56:46
    yes, because
    barry e staats
    obama hated his white grandparents, the ones who raised him
  • Larry 2012/09/12 08:50:01
    no, because
    Larry
    I don't believe it, just playing the Race card again
  • tommy 2012/09/12 08:35:37 (edited)
    tommy
    I don't know the ramifications of the case , I'd like to know what's involved. So far its boils down to having to live in a Mobil home? Would they rather be homeless?????
  • ☆FritzW☆ 2012/09/12 08:22:40
    yes, because
    ☆FritzW☆
    Sadly, so long as there are differences between people, there will be some form of discrimination. But, as time and generations pass, I chose to believe that there shall be less and less outright discrimination as tolerance of differences become more the norm.
  • Mae 2012/09/12 06:15:38
    Mae
    +1
    I would need more information to go on, but because this lawsuit is being filed through the DOJ and Holder, I tend to not believe anything that man has to say, so I'll reserve my judgement. Holder himself needs to be prosecuted on so many charges, anything this guy chooses to go against needs to be looked at closely--they could actually be the victims here, if Holder's record is anything to go on.
  • Tedster 2012/09/12 05:40:09
    yes, because
    Tedster
    +1
    Just like the old, uneducated, White, southern, males who comprise Obama's single biggest group of critics, they're also the single biggest group of racists.
  • Boetica Tedster 2012/09/12 08:02:24
    Boetica
    +1
    Eye roll. Anyone who critisizes Obama is a racist in your twisted "progressive" viewpoint. The real racists are those who refuse to hold a person accountable for their failures because of their race. Obama and Ray Nagan are two that come to mind. Both incompetent.
  • Tedster Boetica 2012/09/15 03:26:23
    Tedster
    Show me where anyone besides Hannity, Beck or the fat guy has ever said that to criticize Obama is racist? Now, if you criticize him because he's a black guy or about his religion or his citizenship then yeah, you're a f'ing racist to the Nth degree. That about clear it up for you?
  • Transquesta 2012/09/12 05:10:55
    yes, because
    Transquesta
    +1
    Discrimination (as well as bigotry) is a fact of life. It isn't going away. What makes this situation a tad touchy is the fact that while private individuals have a right to freely associate with whomever they choose, this company (Lawrence Properties) is a legal entity bound/beholden to federal housing mandates. It'd be different if anyone here owned a trailer park and only rented to blacks, whites, etc., but because this company was birthed by government (and may well receive government funds by way of assistance checks from tenants), the government has/gets/takes a say into how the business operates.
  • Frank Marshall Davis 2012/09/12 04:59:10
    yes, because
    Frank Marshall Davis
    +4
    On both sides, but if the roles were reversed would the DOJ of intervened?
  • Raphy 2012/09/12 04:53:59
    yes, because
    Raphy
    +1
    I wouldn't want to live in a freekin trailer park anyway. Stories like this is what piss me off. Especially when it is close to where I live. This is when my racist card go WAAAAAAAY up.
  • Iamfree 2012/09/12 04:51:16
    Iamfree
    +1
    I'll reserve judgment until the case is decided. Since it is the Holder DOJ involved, I tend to think this is baloney. But anything is possible, and if the case is proven, the company should be penalized to the fullest extent of the law.
  • Tee Quake 2012/09/12 04:47:24
    yes, because
    Tee Quake
    +3
    I'm sure discrimination is still with us. However, I take anything the Holder DOJ does with a huge grain of salt. As far as I know, we are still considered innocent until proven guilty. The DOJ's charges have been denied so how can you say discrimination is alive and well. Generally, that's a pronouncement made at the conclusion of a case and not because allegations have been leveled.
  • Tedster Tee Quake 2012/09/12 05:36:29
    Tedster
    The amount of discrimination will not be affected by this case. It and bias and racism will never end until humans cease to exist. The rt wing nut wishful thinking notion that it no longer exists is absurd and not surprising.

2014/11/28 19:26:52