The Iowa Supreme Court ruled Dr. James Knight had a right to fire his dental assistant because he was attracted to her and felt that threatened his marriage. Did Knight make the right decision?

ABC News U.S. 2013/07/30 19:08:43
A dental assistant in Iowa was fired from her job simply because she was too attractive. Even her boss, Dr. James Knight, said she did nothing wrong and she was the best dental assistant he's ever had.

The Iowa Supreme Court even said her firing was unfair, but the court ultimately decided it wasn't illegal and the decision has left many working women outraged and many employment lawyers confounded.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/dental-assistant-f...

• ★misfit★ 2013/07/31 20:24:49 (edited)
    No. He should have been able to control himself.
    ★misfit★
    +26
    Totally unfair to her. And if I had to venture a guess, I'd say the real reason he fired her is because she turned him down, not because she was "too attractive." Or maybe his wife was the impetus, who knows? Besides, to me at least, she is pretty but very average. If he can't control himself around women like her who are EVERYWHERE, he should either never leave the house or shouldn't have gotten married in the first place.

• jconne 2013/10/12 16:49:44
    Yes. It's unfortunate for her, but he did what was best for his family.
    jconne
    The proper analysis is not an emotional one when the law is involved - it's based on principle. Remember the statue of the blindfolded "Justice" holding scales. This means superficial appearances are not to be the basis of just decisions.

Regardless of circumstances, employment should be a free choice. I don't have a right to be employed by you and you don't have a right to be employed by me. Like any trade among free people, it should only occur when both sides of the trade think it is win-win. Otherwise each is free to move on and look for more satisfactory options. The only limitation is contractual agreements. And the political administrators have NO right to dictate relationships among free traders. Today, employers find it unattractive to engage employees because of all the mandated aspects of the relationship - largely based on accepting mistaken Karl Marx-like assumptions about the employer-employee relationship. Both sides of the trade can make themselves a sought after partner in a trade - that's everyone's individual responsibility out of personal integrity.

Note - the details of choice are irrelevant to the right to choose. Our culture has misconstrued what is and is not a right. As a result we have a disastrous political situation and trend today...

Note - the details of choice are irrelevant to the right to choose. Our culture has misconstrued what is and is not a right. As a result we have a disastrous political situation and trend today. Our civilization could go the way of Ancient Rome and Greece.

Here's the foundation for the proper principles...

Per the Declaration of Independence, we form a government to secure our rights. And government uniquely, legally acts by coercion in our free society So where do want coercion in decisions?

Rights are properly about FREEDOM OF ACTION - the US Constitution Bill of Rights is a good start.

We do not have a right to the product of another's labor. If we did, it would be government's job to take what you produce and give it to me because I have a right to it and their job is to secure my rights. That makes you a slave and that's just nuts.

What are products of another's labor? -- food, clothing, shelter, education, healthcare, etc. etc. Our entitlement government is morally wrong for this reason.

Charity is a free choice not a right of coercion of the majority on any minority - that is the minority of every free individual. We are perfectly capable of forming charities voluntarily for any mutual concern. It's a choice - not a right - not an entitlement. Let's regain a free country for a free people!
  • gloria.... jconne 2013/12/28 06:56:26
    gloria.g.lawson
    +3
    Jconne is so right!!! Its his choice who he wants to hire or fire!! This man is punished for doing what he thought was right! He could have found ways to fire her! He could have found a reason to fire her but he seems like a man that was trying to do what he thought would be the good thing to do!! She is wanting attention and really is loving the media.....she is probably getting money for this lame story!! The Dentist should have found another way to fire her...... It is simple to find good reasons to fire someone if you want to.......people sure the heck can't be honest anymore!!! This man is punished for being honest.....is not like she is a beauty queen! He was attracted to her and it jeopardized his job and family life, so the best thing to do was to remove it!! The is really stupid that this story got this much attention!!! I can find better stories for you!!
  • General "Bull" Krapper 2013/09/04 05:12:02
    General "Bull" Krapper
    Then why did he hire her in the first place? --- Stay Well, Safe & Free
  • wahrheit 2013/08/06 14:32:58
    wahrheit
    The "right" thing is not always the fair thing.
  • VoteOut 2013/08/05 23:51:40
    VoteOut
    +1
    many may be missing the point that an employer the one who "pays" the salary should have the right to terminate employment of an employee for any reason unless it is in violation/default of the employment agreement between the parties . She had the right to quit when ever she wanted to for what ever reason didn't she? So what is the issue
  • rabbit 2013/08/05 23:48:43
    rabbit
    What a weak man !!!
  • LeroyRogers 2013/08/05 21:27:04
    LeroyRogers
    i bet she brought in a lot of business that will now go elsewhere.
  • Ikihi 2013/08/05 21:15:25
    Ikihi
    wow. so dumb
  • flrdsgns 2013/08/05 19:47:08
    flrdsgns
    +1
    It is unfortunate for her, but people can be fired for any or even no reason.
  • equalprotection 2013/08/05 15:24:02
  • Delthos 2013/08/05 15:22:58
    Delthos
    I'm guessing the wife was jealous and he did it to make life at home better. It wasn't the fact that he felt he couldn't control himself. It was that the assistant raised questions with his wife. Some women are just jealous and suspicious and will have problems if their husband spends every day working with an attractive woman, even not so attractive women. I've known a few guys with wives like that. So yes unfair and unfortunate but I can understand why. It's not like being fired for that will have any affect on her ability to be hired in the future.
  • John "By God" American 2013/08/05 13:01:26
    John "By God" American
    This guy is an idiot and pretty arrogant to assume that she would accept his advances. Unless she has "tested the waters", he has a problem with his own morality...
  • fortycal_sig 2013/08/05 12:59:27
    fortycal_sig
    His practice, his job to fill this way or that way. His call. Seems unlikely that the assistant in question will have trouble finding another position. ;)
  • fortyca... fortyca... 2013/08/05 13:01:20
    fortycal_sig
    * Of course, he _should_ have been able to control himself, and it takes two and all that. But he knows himself best--maybe he just couldn't concentrate on the job!
  • Grammar Freak 2013/08/05 12:21:37
    Grammar Freak
    He never should have hired her in the first place if this is the case.
  • Urnext 2013/08/05 11:32:26
    Urnext
    I'm happy for him. He's a good man if his intentions are legit.
    Islam has solutions, but the Muslims muck it up.
  • Watermusicranger 2013/08/05 08:32:53
    Watermusicranger
    I guess he was a fool.
  • Jennapsyde 2013/08/05 07:25:33
    Jennapsyde
    Is it a sin to be too beautiful? vanity
  • FlyGalsMom 2013/08/05 05:35:22
    FlyGalsMom
    +1
    There should have been other answers to choose~
    I actually had something similar happen to me~ I was hired by the Senior Veterinarian to open a new clinic with a Vet, just out of Cornell~
    When the new guy saw me he actually turned white~ I get a phone call from him, very late at night and he is drunk as a skunk and said he could not work with me as I was Too attractive and reminded him of his college girlfriend who dumped him~ I also had one sexually harass me~ Back then there were no laws/lawsuits for this crap~
  • FlyGalsMom FlyGalsMom 2013/08/05 05:36:45
    FlyGalsMom
    +1
    As for the dental asst. I bet it was the dentist's wife who wanted her gone LOL~
  • Runaway ✩ 2013/08/05 01:54:10
    Runaway ✩
    +3
    Sounds about right - if you're a pig, blame the woman.
  • DebraJMSmith 2013/08/05 01:17:24
    DebraJMSmith
    He sure did do the right thing. --And shame on her for suing him. What? Did she like his attraction to her?
  • ur XLNC-PWCM 2013/08/04 21:34:45
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    If this guy has so little control over his libido, he should maybe talk to his wife about doing something about HER desirability. Clearly, if the assistant is so attractive as to be distracting from his wife, then wifey needs to work on her appearance.
  • TasselLady 2013/08/04 20:46:33
    TasselLady
    Yep, typical case of a man thinking with his balls. I hope she sues the hell out of the dentist's office and everybody else (unless she came onto him which in this case I sincerely doubt). What a load of bull$8it. I've never heard of anything so ridiculous. Good thing I'm not working THERE. I could have gotten fired too. That so-called Supreme Court had to be on crack.
    epic facepalm
  • hatter 2013/08/04 20:17:54
    hatter
    +1
    Absolutely. Who wants to look at a hot piece of ass that you cannot have. Men are just wired different than women. Women use feelings men use sight. Maybe she just dressed to sexy for him to handle. For women beauty is power and for men it is money. Mostly. Also you can fire who ever you want if they pose a risk for your business.
  • FlyGalsMom hatter 2013/08/05 05:43:28
    FlyGalsMom
    One of my jobs working through college was tending bar~ I cannot believe how many women don't get that men are VISUAL~Men say things at a bar with their buddies and they forget the bartender can hear a lot of it~ ppl say that men think with their D**KS but it is the EYES and the brain that starts it off ~~ LOL
  • hatter FlyGalsMom 2013/08/06 06:42:34
    hatter
    Lol back at you.
  • myowncompass 2013/08/04 19:04:19
  • FlyGalsMom myownco... 2013/08/05 05:47:03
    FlyGalsMom
    But you are female~ Men are VERY visual~
  • myownco... FlyGalsMom 2013/08/05 07:14:59 (edited)
    myowncompass
    If you don't think I am visual, you would be wrong.

There is never an excuse for not exhibiting self control. NEVER. If you accept anything less than gentlemanly behavior from men, you are giving them permission to do ANYTHING.
  • Marcus O 2013/08/04 17:55:17
    Marcus O
    but not for this reason.
  • andy15554 2013/08/04 12:26:23 (edited)
    andy15554
    It's his company and he can have whoever he wants work there.
  • Grammar... andy15554 2013/08/05 12:19:41
    Grammar Freak
    Then why did he hire her in the first place?
  • andy15554 Grammar... 2013/08/05 12:23:07
    andy15554
    who cares
  • lucky 2013/08/04 12:15:21
    lucky
    I still think there is more to this story, why would any woman allow a married man to send her suggestive texts and not tell him to stop and if she did tell him to stop then the texts would be considered sexual harassment yet she hasnt filed a sexual harassment lawsuit.

I do not think she was as innocent in all this as she pretends to be.
  • Rod 2013/08/04 12:04:48 (edited)
    Rod
    +1
    Of course he had the right. He has the right to fire anyone he chooses and the courts obviously agree.

She also has the right to quit any job that she chooses.
  • pey 2013/08/04 05:36:12
    pey
    +1
    Can he not control himself stupid i look at other women i am a man but i don't touch cause i love my partner so much and my kids sounds to me he does not love his
  • william keegan 2013/08/04 02:27:24
    william keegan
    Unless the dental assistant has a "no fire" clause in her employment contract, her employer has the right to determine who he/she employs or doesn’t employ.
  • Whyputaname 2013/08/04 02:14:50
    Whyputaname
    +1
    Another perverted man.. Gives me the impression that he thinks with his d**k.. If that is the case then how mature is that?

This isn't the last time that this guy will be in the news.. The next time he will probably pull a Sanford.. Excuse me, a Senator Sanford maneuver..
  • Whodini 2013/08/04 01:49:52

2014/09/20 01:25:00