The House of Representatives will consider the Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act, a bill to ban sex-selection abortions, next week. If that bill is passed, it would effectively recognize that "The Right to Life" applies to unborn babies too. Yay or nay?

tncdel 2012/05/26 02:20:13
See report here:
http://www.lifenews.com/2012/05/25/congress-to-vote-on-sex-se...

In order to prohibit DISCRIMINATION, that assumes that human life is entitled to CIVIL RIGHTS protection under the Constitution BEFORE birth.

If this law passes, it won't be long before "The Right to Life" is affirmed for all babies before birth, so that only when it is medically necessary to save the life of the mother will it be legal to kill a kid before birth.

• Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/05/26 02:27:37
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +11
    The real war on women is all about the uterus, the female that will never be allowed to grow and have a choice of her own. Most aborted babies are female, that is fact. There is never a time when killing a baby saves the life of the mother. You may have to take the baby out of the womb but you don't have to intentionally kill it. Most abortions that profess to be for the mother's health is the false pretense that murdering it somehow improves the emotional health of the mother? Who comes up with that?

• beach bum 2012/05/30 03:59:20
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    beach bum
    yay
  • Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/05/29 16:03:37
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    A society that does not protect its unborn and the mothers of the unborn is a society that is destined to slide into oblivion.
  • Pat 2012/05/28 22:54:48
    NAY! [explain].
    Congress should not be legislating a topic which should be between and husband and wife and their doctor. Period. This could lead to many other areas of interference of government in our private lives. It's a slippery slope that I don't choose to navigate. Government stay out of my body!
  • no1badboy56 2012/05/26 14:06:06
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    no1badboy56
    +1
    Personally I think the idiot who thought this bill up should be taken out to the wood shed.
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/05/26 13:24:18 (edited)
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +4
    I am all for it, it would totally throw the balance of nature out of whack if they could choose the sex of the child to abort. What if everyone wanted males, where would we be in 50 years or all females. No or few new lives = extinction.
  • LEFT IS... Kat ♪ ~... 2012/05/26 15:22:07 (edited)
    LEFT IS NOT RIGHT
    +4
    That is already happening in China and India. It has become a huge moral and social problem. But with the 'One-Child Policy' firmly established in China - expectant couples want the most 'valuable'gender for their only child - a boy, who can earn more money and take care of them in their old age.
  • Freeranger 2012/05/26 13:21:47
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    Freeranger
    +7
    The world is becoming an evil and insidious place
  • Muver Freeranger 2012/05/26 19:59:28
    Muver
    That it is....and it will be our undoing for sure....
  • D D 2012/05/26 12:08:09
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    D D
    +3
    Yes, I would say that then means people have a right to life. This won't affect anything though. People still sue and charges are brought up against people killing unborn babies. You get in a car wreck, it makes the woman lose her baby and you get sued and charges brought up against you. We go both ways on this issue. It's nuts.
  • ruralntex 2012/05/26 11:21:13
    NAY! [explain].
    ruralntex
    +4
    I don't want to hear another fantastic idea from Washington until they get a friggin budget in place. My life and my freedoms and my money are off limits to DC until they do what they do what they were sent to Washington to do first. Pass a budget, then we can move to something else.
  • Dweezle 2012/05/26 10:18:08
    NAY! [explain].
    Dweezle
    +1
    Girl: Honey, Guess what, I am pregnant!
    Guy: That's nice I am sterile, I will support your decision to abort, financially and emotionally. If you choose to keep it, I assure you I will die before being found financially liable!
  • Dweezle Dweezle 2012/05/26 10:20:08
    Dweezle
    +1
    In other words, A couples right to choose shall be final & free from government coercion.
  • tncdel Dweezle 2012/05/26 12:50:12
    tncdel
    +6
    Not regarding another's life. Their own lives, sure. But no one should be allow the right to "play God" with another's life.

the baby s body is NOT your body
  • Dweezle tncdel 2012/05/26 14:56:03
  • LEFT IS... Dweezle 2012/05/26 15:18:38 (edited)
    LEFT IS NOT RIGHT
    +3
    But you're advocating the power to take away life. Isn't THAT playing God?
  • D D LEFT IS... 2012/05/26 15:30:59
    D D
    I am sooooo glad I am not this woman. This is not a thing I would want on the list of things I did while alive on earth and did for a nation.

sopr
  • Dweezle LEFT IS... 2012/05/26 15:33:47
    Dweezle
    I am advocating the power to remove a mistake, to remove a parasite from a persons body that chooses to do so.

Right to lifers are illusory in that they love to fight for a fetus while in the womb however, when a poor person gives birth to that fetus you are there complaining that they should not have created a child they cannot afford.

you profess a belief that every life is sacred, however you are usually the first on the capital punishment bandwagon. You are pro war, as long as it is someone elses children marching off to fight them...
  • mchappell2 2012/05/26 08:43:26
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    mchappell2
    +3
    About time they did something right
  • Bob DiN 2012/05/26 05:47:18
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    Bob DiN
    +5
    Sex slection abortion are really sick.
  • Mamaknows 2012/05/26 05:02:11
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    Mamaknows
    +5
    I am all for it:)
  • Jayfeather 2012/05/26 04:47:34
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    Jayfeather
    +7
    It's sickening that people would end lives just because they want a specific kind of child. Continuing this practice would set a terrible precedent of artificial human selection.
  • Peewee ~PWCM~ 2012/05/26 04:32:39
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    +6
    You can't have it both ways. If a pregnant mother is murdered, the perp is charged with two murders. Someone could walk from their Doctor over to Planned Parenthood anyway
  • D D Peewee ... 2012/05/26 12:10:39
    D D
    +4
    I said something similar. It shouldn't be both ways.
  • Peewee ... D D 2012/05/26 14:13:59
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    +1
    Great minds think alike :-)
  • tncdel Peewee ... 2012/05/26 12:52:23
    tncdel
    +6
    There is no ethical difference between a woman who hires a doctor profaning the Hippocratic Oath to "off" her kid than to hire a mafia hit-man to kill that kid afterwards.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2012/05/26 03:59:50
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +6
    Unfortunately, it will have to go to the liberal Senate.
    YAY! [comment as you wish].
    +6
    About time. A sound society cannot allow, much less force (as China does), people to choose boys over girls, or girls over boys. That way lies demographic disaster.
  • c.stuartHardwick 2012/05/26 03:50:20 (edited)
    NAY! [explain].
    c.stuartHardwick
    +4
    Sorry, but this is classic republican hypocrisy. How is this the government's business? Here, as in China, nature will out. I don't support sex-selective abortion, but then, I don't support procreation into poverty either. I would argue that mandatory abortion for people unable to feed themselves is better long-term social policy than this idea. Do we want to do that?
  • Peewee ... c.stuar... 2012/05/26 04:34:50
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    +5
    Nah, mandatory sterilization.
  • tncdel Peewee ... 2012/05/26 12:59:39
    tncdel
    +4
    Under the Constitution, and and all rights we possess, including life itself, can be forfeited if certain laws are violated. If a man or woman attempts to kill a kid before birth, they can be subject to sterilization CONSTITUTIONALLY.
  • c.stuar... tncdel 2012/05/26 19:08:42
    c.stuartHardwick
    It is a startling lack of reason that permits someone to contemplate "forfeiting" the life of a fully-grown human being because she doesn't share your decision to view every fertilized egg as if it should have the same rights as she does.
  • Jayfeather c.stuar... 2012/05/26 04:52:58
    Jayfeather
    +4
    How is it the government's business? Here's how. Imagine the soon coming days where we can find everything out about a child before birth. If this is not stopped people will abort because their child does not have favourable traits, creating an era where everyone is similar. The world would be knocked completely out of balance. Things will go very badly if this is not stopped now.
  • c.stuar... Jayfeather 2012/05/26 19:10:51
    c.stuartHardwick
    And they will reap the consequences. At the rate China is going today, women will be so rare there in a century that all power will shift to them. As a matter of public policy, we should be more concerned with over fishing than with stupid reproductive choices.
  • Jayfeather c.stuar... 2012/05/26 19:21:54 (edited)
    Jayfeather
    This is not about China. This is about America. As such, Chinese policy has no effect on the matter. It's not that I don't care. It just doesn't have to do with this question.

As for your response to my question: yes, they will. But they don't have to if we stop it from happening to begin with.
  • c.stuar... Jayfeather 2012/05/26 21:39:40
    c.stuartHardwick
    I do think it unwise to tamper with the normal balance of sexes without some compelling reason. But on the other hand, we will soon have plenty of other things to select on, or even change (I wonder if this law would even be under consideration if the technology was to change the sex of an embryo rather than selectively abort it).

We will soon have the technology to correct a whole manner of traits. How will we decide what is appropriate? Can parents change genes that lessen the likelihood of diabetes? Cancer? Schizophrenia? Religious Extremism? Homosexuality? Left-handedness? Acne? Ill-temper? And, since any and all of these changes will reduce the diversity of our species, who is to say which is wise in the long-haul (For example, the genes that help make us fat today helped our ancestors survive the ice age.)

Given genetic tools, what constitutes disease? What is healthy? Normal? Destructive? Nature does not make value judgments, we do, and the myths and legends of ancient time will not help us make them--only fight over them.
  • Jayfeather c.stuar... 2012/05/27 16:53:10
    Jayfeather
    We already screw with Nature too much. It never ends well to screw with Nature. In the end, the tampering will cost us. Diversity and balance are imperative. Without these things, everything will fall into chaos.
  • c.stuar... Jayfeather 2012/05/27 21:46:41
    c.stuartHardwick
    I agree with you there. We, as sentient beings, should not leave our fellows to the vagaries of nature. If so, why have sentience at all?

However, when we go to decide what is right and what is wrong, that same brain must be behind the calculation, and not one group's interpretation of an ancient mythology. Otherwise, the brain is only simulating brute instinct, and is a very, very, expensive way to get there.
  • D D c.stuar... 2012/05/26 12:18:17
    D D
    +4
    Watch the movie Gattaca.

China is have a problem now with females being stolen because there are not enough for men to marry. It is all due to only wanting boys.They do not have enough girls for the men. They messed with nature and now it will take over a decade to try and get back on track. There is now a possibility for the people of China to have more than one baby. A fine is charged for those they decide to allow to have 2.
  • Lady Wh... D D 2012/05/26 12:35:27
    I saw THAT situation coming WAAAY back when.

2014/11/25 00:50:56