The GSA scandal: Is it just the tip of the government-waste iceberg?

KoAm 2012/04/18 09:34:21
Related Topics: Waste, Government, Scandal, Gsa

• princess 2012/04/22 08:36:43
    Definitely
    princess
    The GSA---what a colossal joke. Not only should they all be charged, this entire sham of a govt. agency should be dismantled.
  • Marie 2012/04/18 21:17:25
    Definitely
    Marie
    So many execs get these perks all the time! I believe this is nothing new and has been going on for years, not just in government!
  • A Founding Father 2012/04/18 20:07:15
    Definitely
    A Founding Father
    No one in Congress has courage enough to undertake a broad investigation of Government waste, as every seat in Congress, every Congressional district, every State , is connected in some fashion to the pillage, looting, and excesses. I believe the "Truman Committee" was the last to actually look deeply into the greatest sink hole of waste, the Pentagon procurement system.

Little story of just one example of how things are done. Many years ago I went to the "surplus property" sales warehouse at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri. Among the hundreds of items there were eight large boxes, all alike, with a metal cased device on
    top, looking somewhat like a large calculator of that period. The device weighed about
    twenty pounds and all could be bought for six cents a pound, the value of "scrap metal" at the time. I asked what these things were, labeled as being from Hewlett Packard as I recall. The military man there said they were "computer guidance systems for ICBMs, which had been shipped to Ft. Leonard Wood "by mistake". A day or two later I thought, those things probably are worth a quarter million dollars each, I'll buy them and see what happens. They were "gone", repurchased by HP I was told, for six cents a pound, and shipped back to HP's assembly plant. Do I really th...

twenty pounds and all could be bought for six cents a pound, the value of "scrap metal" at the time. I asked what these things were, labeled as being from Hewlett Packard as I recall. The military man there said they were "computer guidance systems for ICBMs, which had been shipped to Ft. Leonard Wood "by mistake". A day or two later I thought, those things probably are worth a quarter million dollars each, I'll buy them and see what happens. They were "gone", repurchased by HP I was told, for six cents a pound, and shipped back to HP's assembly plant. Do I really think the Govy paid twice for these items Oh yes, I do think that as I bought and sold several items such as welding machines still in the shipping cases and unused for "scrap value", pipe, wire, and other things, all just passing through a military base as the procurement system bought what was unwanted and unused and shipped it to any destination that came to mind.
  • Old Nellie Bones 2012/04/18 18:35:37 (edited)
    Definitely
    Old Nellie Bones
    Waiting to hear about trips to the Bahamas,Cocain parties.................... This is the most corrupt administration ever.There is absolutely no Denying that. Just watch they will probably use an excuse that they were stimulating the economy.
  • voice_m... Old Nel... 2012/04/19 03:01:33
  • Old Nel... voice_m... 2012/04/19 15:08:37
    Old Nellie Bones
    I never said this never happened under any other president.I 'm just saying this administration has taken corruption to an all new level.They just blame other administrations for staring it.As if that makes it O.K. Take fast and furious for example."It started under Bush".
  • voice_m... Old Nel... 2012/04/19 16:34:37
    voice_matters
    nothing new. notice how the gop invetigating committee never said this had never happened before. sorry libby i just go with the facts
  • Old Nel... voice_m... 2012/04/19 17:23:49
    Old Nellie Bones
    I go with the facts too.There is no denying that the corruption is more ramampt than ever before.
  • voice_m... Old Nel... 2012/04/19 19:50:42
    voice_matters
    what corruption? they spent money and we will see if any coruption took place after the investigation.
  • Old Nel... voice_m... 2012/04/19 23:39:23
    Old Nellie Bones
    What Corruption?Bwahahahaha.Partay like is yor birfday.Who cares about the hard working tax payers? Who cares about the debt? I do.
  • voice_m... Old Nel... 2012/04/20 00:00:37
    voice_matters
    thanks for showing no corruption took place. i am so sad for libs that can not defend their lame claims
  • Old Nel... voice_m... 2012/04/20 00:07:16
    Old Nellie Bones
    ?????????????
  • voice_m... Old Nel... 2012/04/20 00:10:31
    voice_matters
  • Old Nel... voice_m... 2012/04/20 01:08:21
    Old Nellie Bones
    Ummm I'm not showing that no corruption took place.
  • voice_m... Old Nel... 2012/04/20 14:58:56
    voice_matters
  • KoAm voice_m... 2012/04/19 15:12:54
    KoAm
    The House was sitting on this for 2 years before investigating?

No, I think they investigated as soon as all the vids and pics came out. Which was rather recently.

Besides, they do have other things to do too. Such as helping to unravel the economic mess that Obama has left us with.
  • voice_m... KoAm 2012/04/19 16:36:37
    voice_matters
    libby again you go ignoring the facts. teh convention happened two years ago. the convention used federal funds. that means congres knew of the cost of the event and the gop thought 800k for a convention was a good price. now the gop is worrried they could lose in november and is trying to use this 2 year old incident to gain votes. i ahve also yet to hear from any gop memeber on any committee that this price tag will never be allowed again.
  • KoAm voice_m... 2012/04/19 15:15:32
    KoAm
    And by the way, are you implying that only the House of Representatives has responsibility for investigating such things?

What about the Senate? What about the White House? They have no responsibilty to probe these matters?

Sounds like your thought process here can be summed up thus: "Hey, the House is controlled by Republicans -- so let's blame them!"

Meanwhile, in your mind, any government branch controlled by Democrats gets to skate.
  • voice_m... KoAm 2012/04/19 16:37:13 (edited)
    voice_matters
    i am saying al spednign begins in the house of reps. meaning they knew 2 years ago of the spenditure.

by the way libby the gop is the party of fiscal responsiblity. the libs are the party of spend spend spend spend. so tell me which party i will always blame for alowing 2 years of non-investigation into over spending. the gop never brought this up till now. again showing to me the gop is losing itself. you can go ahead and ignore the facts but i am not an ignorant lib so i can not no matter how hard i try.
  • exhon2009 2012/04/18 16:37:47
    Definitely
    exhon2009
    We are wasting probably 40% of the federal budget. That amount interestingly just about matches the deficit.
  • cindy 2012/04/18 16:07:01
    Definitely
    cindy
    +1
    Oh I am sure when , Obummer is out ! , we will see that he cleaned out the Bank in America and gave our wealth to other countries !!!!
  • exhon2009 cindy 2012/04/18 16:36:15
    exhon2009
    +1
    You mean like the multi billion dollar in loan guarantees to Brazil so his buddy George Soros, shareholder in Petrobras, could develop deep sea oil for export to China. Is that an example of what you meant when you stated he gave our wealth to other countries?
    Definitely
    +1
    This administration is corrupt from the top down - democrats are great at telling the people one thing, and doing the opposite
  • johnc 2012/04/18 14:37:00
    Definitely
    johnc
    +1
    Has been going on for decades,

And with a leadership void @ 1600 penn. well, when the cats away the mice place.
  • AlmaBoudreaux 2012/04/18 14:17:43
    Definitely
    AlmaBoudreaux
    +1
    There are way too many government agencies heavily loaded with well paid bureaucrats and many more will be added if Obamacare is not stopped. .Americans work from January to April to pay the tax bill they are burdened with. And the end is not in sight. The regime in place in Washington believes it is their right and duty to spend this country into oblivion. Most of the spending is absolutely not needed, in fact, they are shooting us the finger with what they are doing.
  • johnc AlmaBou... 2012/04/18 14:41:48
    johnc
    +1
    Lots and lots of big fancy buildings in DC. filled with lots and lots of make busy jobs.

all these departments scrape off just a few dollars for theselves as the money passes to the next level, where they take a few dollars. so, like the dept of Ed. a dollar in, 15 cents winds up getting to the classroom. Might I add, there are some pretty nice vehicles in those parking lots

government in action, if there is money left, in the slush fund it goes. the choice in government is spend it or loose it

government gone wild.
  • JP 2012/04/18 14:05:30
    Probably
    JP
    I meant to hit certainly.
  • mich52 2012/04/18 13:58:39
  • Hawkeye mich52 2012/04/18 14:27:28
    Hawkeye
    Yu know what the difference is??

The Republican Americans REFUSED to support the Republican candidates because they were spending and easting too much.. THOSE Republican Candidates were acting like Democrats and in the elections of 2006,, the Congress was surrendered BACK to the Democrats..

SO.. WHAT are YOU Democrats going to do about this besides playing the Bart Simpson song???

That is,, BESIDES making excuses for what's going on NOW by bringing up other examples from the past??

THAT will NOT reduce the WASTE in Government..
  • johnc Hawkeye 2012/04/18 14:42:46
    johnc
    Obama is prepared, it is not his fault, just ask him.
  • mich52 Hawkeye 2012/04/18 18:11:11
  • Hawkeye mich52 2012/04/18 18:22:54
    Hawkeye
    Another SAD attempt to revise history... Poor Poor Mitch.. must be terribly lonesome in that unreal world of your's...
  • mich52 Hawkeye 2012/04/18 21:41:40
  • voice_matters 2012/04/18 13:43:35
    Oh, no. There's not much government waste. Really, really there isn't.
    voice_matters
    this is nothing new. what is sad is that the gop alowed this to go uninvestigated for years. makes me really think about the gop platform for fiscal responsibility.
  • l 2012/04/18 13:33:21
    Definitely
    l
    +1
    This is just one of the reasons I voted for John McCain. I felt he was sincere when he promised to investigate and do away with waste etc.
  • Tasine 2012/04/18 13:30:31
    Definitely
    Tasine
    +1
    I believe politicians and bureaucrats have been gaming the system for decades. And their escapades, coupled with their incompetence and their idiotic ideas about how to grab more power has broken the back of the American public.

My personal belief is that we will never be free of government as long as it exists. I think it is time to re-think how a free people can exist in the midst of crime, corruption, lies, and deceit within its own government. My wish is that we outlaw politicians, get a management company to provide for oversight of those things we give it the authorization to oversee, a company that works solely with the states, and which has no contact with individual citizens, and which can handle only the money we choose to pay them and spend on their work. All laws would come from from the states. Get rid of the behemoth in Washington DC - give us a breath of fresh air and get us out from under this giant money sucker we call GOVERNment.
  • Freeranger 2012/04/18 13:27:59
    Probably
    Freeranger
    +1
    Then they all write books after they retire and add to their wealth.
  • johnc Freeranger 2012/04/18 14:44:07
    johnc
    the clintons came to office with a mortgage, now have hundreds of millions in the bank. much off shore.

and don't forget big Al Gore.
  • Ukie 2012/04/18 13:06:33
    Definitely
    Ukie
    +1
    Ya think.....More nere-do-wells than not in the "on-the-dole, entitlement, sponge-jobs, Washington cesspool! Washington cesspool Washington cesspool Washington cesspool ya nere-do-wells on-the-dole entitlement sponge-jobs washington cesspool Washington corruption Washington culture of corruption
  • Seonag 2012/04/18 13:00:27
    Definitely
    Seonag
    +2
    Where there's smoke, there is usually fire. I suspect that this 'iceberg' has a larger portion just beneath the surface. And the workers obviously weren't afraid of being disciplined let alone fired for making the video. But then, it's nearly impossible to fire someone from a non-political appointed Government job.

2014/10/21 15:21:01