The federal budget bills contain $20 billion in pork. Do you object?

FanOreilly 2007/11/16 10:15:56
It seems both Democrats and Republicans are spending like drunken sailors at a brothel. Do you find this profligate spending objectionable?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/1107/Budget_bills_cont...

Citizens Against Government Waste, which closely monitors federal spending, is putting the finishing touches on its tally of pork projects in the pending spending bills — and the picture isn’t pretty. The group estimates that there will be at least 8,000 earmarks this year, costing U.S. taxpayers, $18 billion to $20 billion.

• Scott W 2008/01/03 18:39:54 (edited)
    Scott W
    +2
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship." - attributed to Alexander Fraser Tytler, 18th century professor.

It seems we can't fully blame the politicians for all our problems as long as we're the ones who are sending them to the Capitol.

• Studied 2008/03/26 01:59:28
    Studied
    +1
    NO PORK, get rid of the lobby system. Also lets add NO PORK at a state level either.
  • Working Mother of 2 2008/02/10 18:09:15
    Working Mother of 2
    +1
    There is wastful spending from every level in government. Do you think the deputies in your city/town do enough to earn their paychecks? The city of Norfolk Virginia has trash blowing down every street. Why not take some of those prisioners from the city jail with short sentences, and make them walk the steets picking up trash, in trade, let them out 10 days early - Pros to this - cleans up the city, housing prisioners for less time consumes less tax payer dollars, and the guy that got 15 days for a drunk in public, might not lose his job/house/family...ect
  • Denny 2008/01/23 21:41:44
    Denny
    +1
    If only the line Item veto could happen.
  • Timmaaaaaay 2008/01/20 07:47:23
    Timmaaaaaay
    +1
    this is why we need term limits, if congressmen didn't have to buy votes, because they were term limited they would never try this crap. people need to hold these criminals accountable.
  • FanOreilly Timmaaa... 2008/01/24 00:03:14
    FanOreilly
    Yes, term limits for ALL political offices including the Supreme Court.

This should be in the Constitution of the next country we build.
  • Timmaaa... FanOreilly 2008/01/24 05:06:40
    Timmaaaaaay
    +1
    I'm torn on this one, since the constitution specifies that supreme court nominees are appointed for life time terms. I think this was done purposely to prevent a shift with every popular idea that came along.
  • FanOreilly Timmaaa... 2008/01/24 22:32:15
    FanOreilly
    ...yes and the president had no term limits either but I think we can both agree term limiting the executive is a good idea.
  • Timmaaa... FanOreilly 2008/01/25 04:47:03
    Timmaaaaaay
    +1
    agreed. I still think the life time appointments for the supreme court are a good hedge against poular manias though
  • FanOreilly Timmaaa... 2008/02/04 17:43:21
    FanOreilly
    Then we can agree to disagree.
  • Timmaaa... FanOreilly 2008/02/07 04:40:35
    Timmaaaaaay
    +1
    I guess that will have to be where it ends.
  • joanie baloney 2008/01/04 21:22:16
    joanie baloney
    +1
    I think all pork spending should be outlawed. That is part of the problem of corruption in Washington. Our representatives cannot seem to vote for or against a bill on its own merits. If it is a crappy bill they will vote for it as long as they get something out of it. Let's work on a line item veto!
  • Scott W 2008/01/03 18:39:54 (edited)
    Scott W
    +2

• Dusty 2008/01/03 16:50:22
    Dusty
    +1
    It's a shame when name dropping and paying back your special interests are an essential part of balancing a budget. Unfortunately, that's Washington, and that's politics...
  • 2008/01/03 04:30:08
    S²
  • roger 2008/01/03 03:37:52 (edited)
    roger
    +2
    People are fed up...because everything they've worked for is gone...it is time to start calling the whole bunch on the carpet and fire them all...from the top to the bottom. good poll my friend.
  • joanie ... roger 2008/01/04 21:23:42
    joanie baloney
    +2
    if I could rave you over and over for that, I would!
  • Bill 2007/12/03 19:09:45
    Bill
    +1
    These earmarks should all be required to be publicly announced!
  • Hannity for President 2007/11/26 06:08:28
    Hannity for President
    +1
    What I do not understand is how these liberals can keep adding all of this pork and be anynomous why don't they have to make it public who is adding all of this. Also when the democrats first took over congress they said that they would be the congress to stop all of this useless spending. They haven't done a damn thing except add to it!
  • piffy Hannity... 2008/01/04 20:03:51
    piffy
    +2
    When the Dems took over in 2006 they promised earmarks and the
    culture of corruption would end.The clowns(politicians)passed a
    3,417pg.,34lb. omnibus spending bill with 9800 earmarks.1 million went
    to the hippie museum in Woodstock N.Y. and a 3.7 billion dollar payoff
    to unions in non-competitive grants to affiliates of the AFL-CIO. What
    is really shameful is this monster bill takes 3.7 billion out of the
    bill for veterans and transfers it to their pork projects.There were
    many ridiculous earmarks in this bill.It was rammed thru the House by
    Nancy Pelosi by five votes.This bill was voted on,passed and was not
    properly read by the clowns(politicians).We have let these
    clowns(politicians)get away with too much garbage for too long.GET OUT
    AND VOTE AND REPLACE ALL THE CLOWNS
  • joanie ... piffy 2008/01/04 21:26:54
    joanie baloney
    +2
    Here here! No more incombants. Lets start over from scratch. No more "seasoned" polititians!
  • Timmaaa... piffy 2008/01/20 07:50:58
    Timmaaaaaay
    +2
    every one... to the man I agree, at this point, there are none that should be reelected.
  • piffy Timmaaa... 2008/02/04 17:00:56
    piffy
    +1
    TERMLIMITSTERMLIMITSTERMLIMIT... FOR THE CLOWNS(POLITICIANS)
  • Timmaaa... piffy 2008/02/07 04:41:25
    Timmaaaaaay
    amen now your speaking my language.
  • woompahs 2007/11/19 05:49:08
    woompahs
    +2
    Hey, it's just too easy to spend other peoples' money.... I thought the purpose of government was to keep order and have a military ready to defend our interests, not feed and clothe us and "take care" of us. I can do that myself, 'thank you very much'. Congress has lost sight of what government is for. and ultimately nothing is free, they aren't giving us anything, we are all paying through the nose for all of those handouts. I would suggest they get rid of all of those extraneous programs and get back to basics, cut taxes, and do what they are supposed to do.
  • PBL 2007/11/18 18:49:28
    PBL
    But I really like Owen's comment too.
  • Owen 2007/11/18 06:10:22 (edited)
    Owen
    I usually have a twisted view of the end outcome. Read on to understand why I would say NO, even though my gut reaction is yes. I think most of the "yes"'s will see the beauty in it.

Keep it up Feds. Keep spending like the bill will never come due. Keep spending on friends and collegues that will leave a paper trail back to the votes. Keep assuming there will never be a "Perp walk" for treason. Keep spending the federal government into endentured servitude. Keep assuming that the US prole's are as dumb as the slick Maddison avenue advertizing agencies want us all to believe. Keep thinking that the media system has emasculated men and preyed on women's fears to get them to buy "stuff" to replace their emptiness. Keep assuming that the whole of the US has been trained as if they were a frog in a pot of water, being brought to a slow boil.
    If only 1% of the US population(3 Million) said:"NO! I will not take it anymore. I will not take it by force! I will not take it by collusion! I will not take it by bribe!", there will be hell to pay in the courts of the land against these traitors.

Look around you at work on Monday. Do you think there is less than 1 in 100 people who are less than a inch away from letting those feelings out? It's boiling in the US. It's so close. It just ...

Look around you at work on Monday. Do you think there is less than 1 in 100 people who are less than a inch away from letting those feelings out? It's boiling in the US. It's so close. It just needs a little more greed, a little more distain, a little more corruption and a catalyzing event or person to bring the issue to a boil.

So I say: NO. Let it keep going. I realize I'm living in a nation of corruption and graft, TODAY. I need more people to see it, too.
  • rawhide 2007/11/16 23:05:48
    rawhide
    +1
    I just can't afford all this B>S>
  • Raven 2007/11/16 17:43:14
    Raven
    +1
    I think it's time to put on the feathered headdress and pour some tea in Boston harbor!
  • B4Real2Me 2007/11/16 13:22:36
    B4Real2Me
    +1
    Yes, I object to all of this pork spending but since apparently it's now the NEW American way... I'm going to write me a bill and try to get me some of this free money myself. I suggest everyone else here in SodaHead do the same, get yourself some of all this free money. Get a pig, write a bill and hold your hand out!!!
  • BoyOfTheEnders 2007/11/16 13:19:08
    BoyOfTheEnders
    +1
    I am so sick of our country squandering away so much, for so little... It's sad that people forgot how the place was founded, and became lost in their own lies...
  • Florida Keys 2007/11/16 11:56:18
    Florida Keys
    +1
    These guys pass bills only to help themselves. And senseless bills.We need all new people on Capital hill. Including Congress, the Reps, and of trim the Bushes... They can all PORK off........
  • ThatGirl 2007/11/16 10:17:42
    ThatGirl
    +1
    Whatever happened to responsible spending? Must have gotten lost in the lies and deciept somewhere...

2014/07/30 21:13:58