The death penalty is a sensitive subject which makes the current event in several countries: abolish the death penalty or keep it ... That is the question !

Porcelain Black 2012/04/18 15:57:03
Related Topics: Death Penalty, Penalty
What do you think about it ?

Does the death penalty decrease the criminality in a country or does not it change anything? Would it be necessary to abolish the death penalty, but on the other hand to make an emprisonnememt for life? All these questionsspend me by the head and I do not really know how to answer it. Maybe that you would know how to answer it.

• BrianD3 2012/04/18 16:27:31 (edited)
    BrianD3
    +6
    I dont look at the death penalty as a deterrant. I look at it from a retribution/ punishment perspective. If a person has committed a crime so bad that people would contemplate killing them then we probably should. If you kill me, I will kill you right back.

I hold the unpopular opinion that capital punishment should be expanded to include other offenses such as raping a child......dont worry about doing a psych eval on the guy....dont want to know why he is crazy....just put him down.

If you come across a rabid dog do you pet it or stop to wonder why it turned rabid? Do you stop to ascertain who's fault it is that the dog went rabid? Or do you put it down? I say it must be put down.

Violent offenders who have a long history of lesser violent crimes must at some point be considered to cross a threshold where their existence is considered an unredeemable threat to society. at some point, they should just be removed from society, permanantly.

• Mary 2012/04/19 00:59:22 (edited)
    Mary
    +1
    I do not support the death penalty. This article articulates my thoughts best.

The ACLU’s opposition to capital punishment incorporates the following fundamental concerns:

The death penalty system in the US is applied in an unfair and unjust manner against people,largely dependent on how much money they have, the skill of their attorneys, race of the victim and where the crime took place. People of color are far more likely to be executed than white people, especially if the victim is white

The death penalty is a waste of taxpayers money and has no public safety benefit. The vast majority of law enforcement professionals surveyed agree that capital punishment does not deter violent crime; a survey of police chiefs nationwide found they rank the death penalty lowest among ways to reduce violent crime. They ranked increasing the number of police officers, reducing drug abuse, and creating a better economy with more jobs higher than the death penalty as the best ways to reduce violence. The FBI has found the states with the death penalty have the highest murder rates.

Innocent people are too often sentenced to death. Since 1973, over 138 people have been released from death rows in 26 states because of innocence. Nationally, at least one person is exonerated for every 10 that are exe...

Innocent people are too often sentenced to death. Since 1973, over 138 people have been released from death rows in 26 states because of innocence. Nationally, at least one person is exonerated for every 10 that are executed.

Read more at: http://www.aclu.org/capital-p...
  • les_gvt 2012/04/18 22:51:56
    les_gvt
    +2
    I will even compromise- i will no longer attempt to kill murdering thugs if the left will agree to no more killing of innocent babies.

Lets be consitent - either pro death penalty on both ends or pro life on both ends.

Remember-at least the person committing the murder has a choice in the decision to kill,the innocent baby gets no choice in their fate
  • Mary les_gvt 2012/04/19 00:51:54
    Mary
    +2
    SCORE!! :)
  • TuringsChild 2012/04/18 22:44:18
    TuringsChild
    +1
    It would work if it wasn't a lottery. But because of human nature and the system as it currently stands, it doesn't. If you think YOU can win, you'll try no matter what the odds are of losing.
  • CREW grand 2012/04/18 22:18:33
    CREW grand
    +1
    Keep the death penalty for serial murderers.
    Abolish it for adulterers.

Don
  • Sofahead 2012/04/18 21:00:37
    Sofahead
    +2
    Only if you can abolish murder, rape, and torture by criminals and sociopaths.
    I think the insanity defense is usually bogus. How do you reliably know such persons wont do it again.
  • Turings... Sofahead 2012/04/18 22:45:54
    TuringsChild
    +2
    If anything, insanity is a REASON to execute a criminal.
  • Chaya2010 2012/04/18 20:02:33
    Chaya2010
    +1
    I tend to sway on this issue I don't believe in the death penalty because innocent people have been executed.
  • Turings... Chaya2010 2012/04/18 22:49:15
    TuringsChild
    +1
    We execute innocent unborn children all the time, without even giving them a trial.
  • Chaya2010 Turings... 2012/04/18 22:58:24
    Chaya2010
    +1
    Strawman argument how does that change the fact that innocent people are executed?
  • Turings... Chaya2010 2012/04/18 23:30:56
    TuringsChild
    +1
    It doesn't. It just proves that it doesn't matter.
  • Fred 2012/04/18 19:48:27
    Fred
    +2
    Keep it ... I have never seen a person who was executed for murder commit another murder
    +3
    No, it probably does not decrease criminal acts; it does, however, stop that person who has proven that they cannot function in society. Example: the guy who killed 77 (mostly young people) and is laughing through his trial going on now - no death penalty there and will live out his days in prison as he continues to mock the legal system and the people who lost their families "I wish I had killed more and would do it again." Why keep him alive?
  • Eden Andalus 2012/04/18 19:16:52
    Eden Andalus
    +3
    keep it ...the cold blooded murderers deserve it
  • mustangluver 2012/04/18 19:02:33
    mustangluver
    +4
    I think if you had the balls to kill someone in cold blood then you should be prepared to also lose your life. They should not keep ppl on death row any more then one yr as they are taking up space..
  • Demonic Rat Hunter 2012/04/18 19:00:34
    Demonic Rat Hunter
    +4
    I'd much rather see them dead and know for sure they will never ever think of doing it again let alone do it. As it is it takes too long for the sentence to be carried out. If you act like a rabid animal then you get treated like a rabid animal.
  • BrianD3 Demonic... 2012/04/18 19:03:42
    BrianD3
    +2
    that is my feeling
  • Dagon 2012/04/18 18:57:21
  • BrianD3 Dagon 2012/04/18 19:03:26
    BrianD3
    +2
    lol, yep
  • David Lindner 2012/04/18 17:31:27
    David Lindner
    +2
    keep it for most heinous crimes.
  • BrianD3 2012/04/18 16:27:31 (edited)
    BrianD3
    +6

2014/04/23 14:39:36