The Case For Killing Grandma: Should the elderly get to choose when to die?

Marilyn 2009/09/21 20:14:37
I agree with "The Case for Killing Grandma," we should let her choose when to die
I disagree with "The Case for Killing Grandma" - grandma should not be killed to cut costs
I think "The Case for Killing," the New York Times article...
"The Case for Killing Grandma" was an article written by the New York Times that discussed a hot issue in the health care reform: the death of the sickly elderly - hence the "killing grandma" aspect of the article title.

"The Case for Killing Grandma" discusses the fact that while our current health care can help keep a person alive well beyond their years, at one point or another, death becomes a lingering option (rather than possibility) for the elderly.

The article explains that instead of keeping the sick elderly alive against their own will - which is possible - we should let grandma decide when to die. By doing so, families could significantly refuse costs.

Is "The Case for Killing Grandma" right? Should we let the sick elderly decide when to die?

• jimiwhitten 2009/09/30 20:20:06
    jimiwhitten
    +1
    I think every person should discuss end of life issues with their doctor, spouse and/or children and they should all know your wishes. AND, I most strongly believe that the federal (or any other) government should NOT be, in any way, involved in the decision, the decision-making process, the end of life process or any other part of it!.
  • Roxi jimiwhi... 2009/10/02 04:03:08
    Roxi
    No need for me to post a comment. You said it all! Well put!
  • SABLE 2009/09/23 15:29:58
    I disagree with "The Case for Killing Grandma" - grandma should not be killed...
    SABLE
    Grandmas will not be killed, they will be counseled on chosen to be resuscitated or to not be , CPR or DNR. Counseled not told to make a choice of when to die.
  • SeaSparkzz 2009/09/22 00:11:38
    I agree with "The Case for Killing Grandma," we should let her choose when to...
    SeaSparkzz
    I believe in the right to die.
  • Annette 2009/09/21 22:30:46 (edited)
    Annette
    from www.associatedcontent.com Health and Wellness
    The opposition to Obama-style health care stems from the fear, well-founded, that it would involve massive cut backs in health care, especially for seniors, that would not just entail heroic life extension procedures that only delay the inevitable. It would involve cut backs in procedures that save lives, extend them by years, and improves their quality.

In the kind of socialized health care systems that the Newsweek reporter appears to favor, one if more likely to die of a variety of diseases, including cancer, heart disease, and strokes. People wait excessively longer for procedures such as hip replacements, causing unnecessary death and suffering.

The horror stories that the Newsweek author dismisses so casually are horrible because they are true. BigGovHealth is replete with stories of people in countries like Great Britain and Canada being denied life saving health care procedures and drugs simply because the government health care bureaucracy in those countries determined that they should not have them. There are shortages and waits not just for expensive end of life procedures, but for mundane services like fixing a broken arm and knee surgeries.

The article above refers to the Newsweek article on the same subjec...

The article above refers to the Newsweek article on the same subject, and it does and should send of warning sirens all over the place and everywhere. When you place your life in the hands of the government carte blance - look out. And where does it stop. What about children dying from childhood diseases? There is not good end to this except to reject it in its entirety and find a better solution - something nobody seem to be able to come up with. I wonder why not? Because it would still include govt. control over your life!
  • Bun 2009/09/21 22:16:42
    Bun
    +1
    Health care is a private issue!
  • Dave The Rave 2009/09/21 22:09:50 (edited)
    Dave The Rave
    I had relatives who felt lik they just wanted to end it all, only to come back after the hospital stay and say it was God's will that they were still living. Either way, someone loses in the end.
  • MrPKitty 2009/09/21 21:10:05
    MrPKitty
    One day, all of us will be "grandma" and someone else will be making all our decisions for us,whether we want them to or not.
    But this decision will be all mine, one way or another.
    When I'm ready to go, no one will decide for me, I'l do it myself.
  • james shaken not stirred 2009/09/21 20:44:47
    james shaken not stirred
    +1
    I agree somewhat depending on the case, my father died many years ago from cancer, but it was a different kind of dying.He was so far progressed in stage 4 even after radiation and chemo that the hospital had him on protiens to keep his body up because he was so weak, well even with that the cancer was so agressive the protiens could not help.

He had 5 months the doctor said to live but after what happened with the protiens and meds that did not work the doctors told us that he would be in extreme pain all the time and the nutrients would be ineffective.

So he gave to us our only option that would take his pain away and that was to take his feeding tube out of him, after hours of careful thought my mother made the decision to proceed with it. After they removed the tube they sedated him very heavily as legally possible with morphine.

He died about 8 hours later after his blood pressure dropped to around 60/50. We didn't want to do this but to see him in so much pain was unbearable, so the doctor said it was very humane and that it's common in hospitals to do that.

When it comes to a loved one facing life or death some of the decisions can be very hard depending on the situation.
  • oldcavp... james s... 2009/09/21 22:19:38
    oldcavpilot
    +1
    You're not the 'Lone Ranger'. Sorry for your loss, as well. I know.
  • hows my aim? 2009/09/21 20:30:58
    hows my aim?
    god i've been wishing for grandma to die since i was 8
  • GANGA~Patriotic Revolution ... 2009/09/21 20:28:40
    GANGA~Patriotic Revolution BL-100+
    It might be her chance to have the last word!
  • formadmirer 2009/09/21 20:19:35
    formadmirer
    Of course they should. If you can't choose for yourself when you want to die, then who should?
    Not to save money, but to save your dignity and suffering.

2014/10/01 20:25:54