The Businessman vs. the Professor: Which Profession is Better to Run a Country?

Fef 2012/04/24 01:33:24
Obviously, we the professions don't represent the real candidates, Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. Romney, a governor and Olympic-sized organizer has more leadership experience than most businessmen. And, Barack Obama has a lot more experience community organizing than most professors.These two abilities—making money and displaying intellect—ought to be qualities worthy of universal praise, as ways in which Americans distinguish themselves and show their excellence. Of course, both qualities can be pursued in an unjustifiable way, as in the case of the moneymaker who proceeds dishonestly or by destructive means (although economic advance frequently involves creative destruction), or the thinker who parrots trendy ideas and mocks orthodoxies (although good ideas often challenge traditional beliefs). The regrettable fact today is that neither the intellectual nor the businessman much respects the other, and each seems to prefer discrediting his rival to joining in common recognition of the virtues of both. More important, there are votes to be had today in stirring up animosities. If it comes down to this, we can only hope the American people will have the good sense to be more repelled by the class-warfare rhetoric of the intellectuals than the enviable remuneration of the businessmen.

elections barack obama mitt romney weekly standard read magazine online

Read More: http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/businessman...

Businessman
    +11
    What professor, Obama was only an instructor, he never qualified to be a professor.

• Idiot repubs 2012/04/25 20:50:13
    Professor
    Idiot repubs
    Mitt? Who's dad was the CEO of American motors and governor of Michigan?

LMFAO, you idiots believe he came from humble roots! What a bunch of fools.
  • StanKerr 2012/04/24 23:15:34
    Businessman
    StanKerr
    +1
    What we really need is someone who understands the principles of liberty and free markets. As things stand, the businessman at least has a better chance of understanding the economy so as to figure out how to free it up. The wording 'run the country' is poor, since we're not a dictatorship (yet).
  • joe ramirez 2012/04/24 23:02:45
    Businessman
    joe ramirez
    +1
    At the rate this country is being turned into a dictatorship any body is better than the Muslim and his csars that are in office now!
  • Angus 2012/04/24 21:11:16
    Businessman
    Angus
    +1
    Obama has never been a professor. Just another lie.
  • cynsity 2012/04/24 18:46:55
    Businessman
    cynsity
    +1
    I guess I want to know... who the heck thinks it doesn't take a great deal of intellect to run a business... any business from a small online publishing company like I run to a multimillion dollar multi national corp.

The fact is even if they used every underhanded sneeky even illegal thing possible a successful business person is still very very intellegent or they wouldn't be successful.

This idea that the intellect is some how limited to those who only pounder and theorize is stupid.
  • johnc 2012/04/24 14:32:42
    Businessman
    johnc
    +2
    We have a little history to use for examples.

Obama appointed scolars as his advisors, and sold the stimulus as needed to keep unemployment below 8%.

Obama appointed another scolar to oversee the GSA. that did not go so well

Went to college to get a degree in marketing for a promotion. So did sales during the day, did what was needed to make sales. At night did what was required to get the grades.

And they were quite different

Obama used scolars to decide to invest in solyndra, that did not go well

NOBAMA 2012
  • dispatcher 2012/04/24 13:58:03
    Businessman
    dispatcher
    +1
    This country is need of a real change, one that will give some real hope for our future & the only wa yfor this to happen is for a Business approach NOT socialism or communism that is only goingto push this country further over the edge. For all those who voted for the hope & change in 2008 go t blinded by the false promises & unconventional wisdom of a failure in chief. Come NOV 6, 2012 WE THE PEOPLE are going to make a real change & take out the trash from out house...

OMG = OBAMA MUST GO !!!!!
  • mich52 2012/04/24 13:11:37
  • johnc mich52 2012/04/24 14:34:26
    johnc
    +1
    and creates successful companies,

Obama invests our money in things like solyndra

You put your money with loser Obama

I will put mine with the romneys of the world.

NOBAMA 2012
  • mich52 johnc 2012/04/24 16:53:57
  • johnc mich52 2012/04/24 17:01:07
    johnc
    +1
    Yep, screwed bond holders, 20 cents on the dollar, but bailed out the plundered UAW retirement fund.

GM is doing well in China where they are made, and jobs created, and Mexico where government motors built a new 500 millions of dollars plant.

go to a gm dealer read the maroney, made in Mexico and Canada except corvette.

those bond holders? private and public retirement funds.

well, I can't call Obie boy, libs would spin that to racist.

next year Obie will open Obamas investment company, will you put your money with him to invest? I sure wouldn't

some say Obama means One Big Ass Mistake America. I say it was a lesson in what not to do. and I believe we have learned from this expensive lesson, well most will learn, some will be what Obie is counting on, "some can be fooled all of the time."

so I understand why you have that Obama thrill in yo legs.

NOBAMA 2012
  • mich52 johnc 2012/04/24 17:34:34
  • johnc mich52 2012/04/24 17:35:54
    johnc
    +1
    Yes, Obama is a crybaby

NOBAMA 2012
  • Angus johnc 2012/04/24 21:13:55
    Angus
    +1
    Obama paid off GM and the UAW fpr their vote. PERIOD
  • johnc Angus 2012/04/24 21:36:45
    johnc
    +1
    that's what I'm talking about.
  • Idiot r... johnc 2012/04/25 20:49:50
    Idiot repubs

• johnc Idiot r... 2012/04/25 21:00:42 (edited)
    johnc
    +1
    Who said he cae from humble rots? His father sold paint out of his trunk, went on to invest in profitable companies and ventures, Does that make him evil? Yes he was a success, the American dream, sounds like you don;t like the American American dream, and reaching it are evil. And that is is better to take money from the earners and giving it to the solydras of the world, the muslim brotherhood types of the world, something Obama is proud of. to that I say that is evil but I understand, to succeed would would take work and self respect. so I understand what you type why work when those that do will pay my way in life. the Pilgrims learned that.

I am reading your writing of envy, envy will get you a fish from Obama, applying yourself and a little self respect, could make you successfull, but I know you won't because yo hero Obama says that is evil

NOBAMA AND NO IDIOT R 2012
  • Brightsprite62 2012/04/24 12:54:16
    Businessman
    Brightsprite62
    +1
    saving business vs Destroying them..em. I'll save saving them.
  • johnc Brights... 2012/04/24 14:36:48
    johnc
    +3
    If they can be successful.

but solyndra? created 1100 jobs for a few months. only cost us $557,000,000

If this was 1910 obama would be bailing out buggy whip companies.

Know anyone with solyndra solar panels on thier buildings?

NOBAMA 2012
  • Brights... johnc 2012/04/25 12:29:36
    Brightsprite62
    +1
    I agree. Obozo needs 2 go.
  • Idiot r... Brights... 2012/04/25 23:25:32
    Idiot repubs
    Romney destroyed far more than he ever saved.
  • Izariel 2012/04/24 12:50:59
    Businessman
    Izariel
    +2
    We have all lived through the dictates of the "professor" for three years now. Life is worse and more pessimistic than it has been in some time. It is time to put someone in office that understands the economy- because "its the economy stupid!" That is what matters more than anything else. Romney is the one to make that happen.
  • Izariel Izariel 2012/04/24 12:52:57
    Izariel
    On top of that do we want a person who started in a one bedroom basement apartment and only due to his intellect, hard work, and business acumen amassed a fortune in the business world- or someone who did community agitation work as a president? I know my choice.
  • Idiot r... Izariel 2012/04/25 20:49:10
    Idiot repubs

• Izariel Idiot r... 2012/04/26 02:14:11
    Izariel
    Perhaps you should do some homework before you mindlessly spout out comments. My above statement is true. Mitt earned his money himself, if you hate him for being successful that's your neurosis, not mine.
  • Idiot r... Izariel 2012/04/26 04:12:14
    Idiot repubs
    Daddy was Governor, but I'm a self made man, what a fool you are.
  • Angus Izariel 2012/04/24 21:18:16
    Angus
    Obama is nothing more than a lie just like the assumption that he was an actual professor.

He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year.
  • Seonag 2012/04/24 12:42:53
    Businessman
    Seonag
    Obama never earned the title "Professor" while he was 'instructing' at the University of Chicago Law School. His highest title was Senior Lecturer. As for having 'business' experience, I don't think he even ever had a lemonade stand! Probably why he hasn't had much success with the US economy.
  • S and S 2012/04/24 12:40:50
  • SpeedRacer 2012/04/24 12:26:54
    Businessman
    SpeedRacer
    +1
    Obama was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. I guess that makes him a professor.

Obama does not have any business leadership experience, this is his major fundamental flaw, He does not understand how business works, he has never ran a company or even worked for one on a full time basis.

44th U.S. President - 2008 to Current
    U.S. Senator - 2005 to 2008
    State Senator State of Illinois, Chicago, IL - 1997 to 2004
    Associate Attorney Davis, Miner & Barnhill, Chicago, IL - 1997 to 2004
    Senior Lecturer University of Chicago Law School - 1992 to 1996
    Lecturer University of Chicago Law School - 1996 to 2004
    Student Harvard Law School – 1988 to 1991
    Student Columbia University – 1980 to 1983

Right now we need someone that can help get small businesses going again and Large Businesses investing. The Constant attack against capitalism is creating an unfriendly environment for the job creators.
  • Sgt Major B 2012/04/24 11:42:53
    Businessman
    Sgt Major B
    The only President we 've had with a PHD was an unmitigated disaster. You'd think we'd learn from history.
  • Mark P. 2012/04/24 11:41:24
    Businessman
    Mark P.
    There is no professor.
  • Path60 2012/04/24 11:25:42
    Businessman
    Path60
    The "professor' never created a job for anyone
  • JustTheFacts 2012/04/24 10:54:51
    Businessman
    JustTheFacts
    After the last three years, in which everything is worse, is there any question?
  • Hawkeye 2012/04/24 10:51:03
    Businessman
    Hawkeye
    I could spend ALL day with this question.. the premise behind the question.. the reasons FOR the question,, etc..

But I will spare you.. Believe it or NOT.. THIS is the SHORT version and it doesn't even scratch the surface....

ONE of the problems that I have with this question Is that ALL Businessmen and women are lumped together as are ALL Professors..

There are good and bad Businesspeople and Professors as well.. SOME of the best professors that I ever had were actually HANDS ON one time practitioners of their chosen fields who actually had LITTLE in the way of academic credentials but who nonetheless decided to take their experiences to the classroom..

THESE were NOT people OF the book.. They were the people who WROTE the book..

Some of the WORST professors that I EVER had were TOP in their fields AS professors but had ZERO practical experience in the field and with zero experience in the field came ZERO understanding OF the current STATE of that field in practical terms...

THIS is because the lessons taught in the classroom generally lag,, sometimes by YEARS,, behind the lessons BEING learned in the field.. They had ALL the academic credentials one could possibly achieve but when I took their teachings into the field after graduation, I was OFTEN told to throw...

THIS is because the lessons taught in the classroom generally lag,, sometimes by YEARS,, behind the lessons BEING learned in the field.. They had ALL the academic credentials one could possibly achieve but when I took their teachings into the field after graduation, I was OFTEN told to throw their book away.. In MANY cases because the process or implementation taught in the classroom was found to be dangerous in practice..

Durinbg such times I am reminded of an OLD saying.. “ Those that can DO,, DO… Those that can’t,, TEACH..”

It’s NOT a universal truth but I tend to lean in that direction when determining these things.. A professor tells ME to toss a grenade into a fire and I go out and the man in the field tells me that THAT’S dangerous,, I’m going with the guy that KNOWS Grenades and works with them every day.. NOT somebody who learned ALL he knows about grenades from a book..

Now.. I take this post as intended to compare Romney to Obama.. It SEEMS to be a reasonable thing to do but to me there are a FEW misconceptions here.. Obama's stabding as a Professor Seems to be questionable,, for starters..

ANd Obama is NOT a Community Organizer.. He did NOT and DOES NOT bring Communities together as that title suggests.. At BEST he took specifically chosen SEGMENTS of the Community and set them upon other segments of the Community.. He did NOT bring people together,, he set them upon one another.. EXACTLY the same thing he’s doing as President today.. Fact IS.. I don’t even CALL him a Communtiy Organizer at all.. I call him a Community AGITATOR much like Sharpton and Jackson.. FAR mor educated then either but NO more then a NEW and improved model of BOTH..

Now,, I’m NOT going to decide the merits of the next President of the United States based on MY idea of a couple of professions.. I’m going to make that decision based on the merits of the CANDAIDATES..

Obama who had litterally NO experience in the profession he was elected to aqnd it SHOWS in the UTTER failure that he has demonstrated while in Office..

AS a result,, has REMAINED true to whatever experience he DOES have as a COMMUNITY Agitator vrs. A man with both EXECUTIVE Experience as a Governor AND as a LEADER in the Business World as IS the case with Romney..

As far as I'M concerned,, the question might just as easilly be asked.. WHO'S better for the country.. A business man or someone who won the Nobel Peace Priaze for absolutely NO reason..

THIS is the choice we make come November.. Because when answering the question posed above,, you HAVE to ask yourself WHY you elect a President in the FIRST place.. Is it to run a country or is it to TEACH??

WE HAVE one that taught us a lesson in there NOW.. Are YOU happy with him and the lessons he taught you??

How's THAT working out for ya...
  • Don 2012/04/24 10:31:44
    Businessman
    Don
    We've seen proof that what passes for wisdom in the faculty lounge won't fly in real life.
  • All American 2012/04/24 10:16:16
    Businessman
    All American
    He has real life experience vs only academic and classroom.
  • Wolf 2012/04/24 09:16:34
    Businessman
    Wolf
    Besides Comrade Obama was never a Professor just a guest lecturer...
  • The Birdman ~ PWCM~JLA 2012/04/24 09:04:35
    Businessman
    The Birdman ~ PWCM~JLA
    The proposed "Intelligent One" has made a mockery of the office of president and couldn't follow the tenets of the Constitution if his mothers life depended on it! Raised a Muslim, always a Muslim!
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/04/24 07:06:37

2014/12/21 11:27:53