The budget ax is about to fall in Washington. Do you feel you'll be affected?

ABC News U.S. 2013/03/01 10:00:00
Related Topics: Budget, Washington
On Friday morning, President Obama and congressional leaders failed to reach a breakthrough to avert a sweeping package of automatic spending cuts, setting into motion $85 billion of across-the-board belt-tightening that neither had wanted to see.

Obama met for just over an hour at the White House Friday with Republican leaders House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and his Democratic allies, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Vice President Joe Biden.

But the parties emerged from their first face-to-face meeting of the year resigned to see the cuts take hold at midnight. "This is not a win for anybody," Obama lamented in a statement to reporters after the meeting. "This is a loss for the American people."

midnight win obama lamented statement reporters meeting loss american people

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/president-obam...

• Risk 2013/03/01 13:59:42
    No.
    Risk
    +21
    It all depends where Obama makes the cuts. I think he will make the cuts in areas that will be detrimental and ones most noticeable to the public so he can say he told us so. Ones that the Liberal MSM can repeat and dwell on 30 times a day.
    If he really was concerned he would make them in areas that would have little effect on the general public but that's not his agenda, his agenda is to hurt the Republican party and get a Democratic Congress in 2014 so he can really get into destroying America.

• Sidrah Zaheer 2013/03/10 02:39:22
    Yes.
    Sidrah Zaheer
    It trickles down to the far corners of the globe.
  • codblackball 2013/03/05 17:52:50
    No.
    codblackball
    The inappropriate budget cut to the us military, will affect us and our security. That in it self was written in to the sequester by the president to scare Republicans in to giving him his tax raises and additional spending. But how can you say we are going to be hurting so bad when we are still going to be spending more than last year by alot! Any one who spends to much on there credit card is going to be in trouble, its simple math what obama is doing is going to hurt us. Remember him sayings " let me make this clear, i will not add one dime to the deffeset" 6.2 trillion, is nothing lol. How is this considered a budget cut? All he is saying is i won't be able to spend what i dont have!
  • ivegotloveinmypants 2013/03/05 16:42:17
    I don't know.
    ivegotloveinmypants
    If I go back to America in the nest few months. But the sequester is only a small part of the budget, actually. Obama seems to be making avery gloomy picture of it, nevertheless.
  • wildemanne 2013/03/05 15:35:45
    No.
    wildemanne
    D.C. cant do us any harm, compared to our communazist governor/ housethugs, they rob from the poor, give to the rich, and corporate, deny an equal education, steal your land in the name of oil, try to convince everybody GOD told them to do this? when any retardrepub knows, cause ALL libs know, it's the crook upstairs padding his bank account again
  • kenny 2013/03/05 15:27:57
  • chuck 2013/03/05 15:17:35
    Yes.
    chuck
    +1
    L votedfor obama but he deosent have a clue about the econmony.He needs to O.K. the pipe line .and oil production in our country
  • Michael 2013/03/05 14:24:28 (edited)
    I don't know.
    Michael
    I don't know, if I will be affected, but I think Obama needs to be impeached
  • robert 2013/03/05 14:09:26
    No.
    robert
    +1
    Only the republican districts will be hurt as obama takes revenge by "selectively cutting"!!
  • Tpem 2013/03/04 23:06:29
    No.
    Tpem
    +1
    Not at all. I will be effected however by the taxes OBamacare heaps on me.
  • harry 2013/03/04 18:08:50
    Yes.
    harry
    Now that I will be unemployed, I won't have to pay as much income tax. I will also be able to get back more tax money from the government through via unemployment checks. Maybe even get back more money from Welfare. This should help reduce the deficit.
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2013/03/04 18:01:02
    Yes.
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    One way or another
  • Ashley 2013/03/04 17:59:41
    Yes.
    Ashley
    +2
    everyone is affected in some way.
  • BigD_U.S.M."HD"Vet. 2013/03/04 17:33:52
    Yes.
    BigD_U.S.M."HD"Vet.
    +1
    "Don't worry, Be Happy"...Have faith in The Lord Jesus-GOD The SON, The Heavenly FATHER GOD n The Holy Spirit GOD.. No Fear!
  • RandyScott (Party of One) 2013/03/04 17:24:44
    Yes.
    RandyScott (Party of One)
    +1
    Of course the cuts will affect me and everyone else in the Country. The real question is How will they affect us?
    If the cuts are allowed to take effect and the world doesn't come to an end, it will just prove that we have been lied to.
  • obama needs to go 2013/03/04 16:32:06
    No.
    obama needs to go
    +2
    I'm glad Obama was so worried about the sequester that he canceled his 50th vacation over the past 4 years, oh wait he didn't! He was golfing with tiger (costed the US tax payers a million dollars for a round of golf). He won't take responsibility to decide where the cuts are cause he would have to take responsibility for something. He's still in campaign mode after 4yrs and had governed for 0 days! Worst president EVER.
  • obama n... obama n... 2013/03/04 16:42:26
    obama needs to go
    +2
    I watched the news the other night and figured I'd get a laught from the communist news stations and here's what could be found:
    If Congress allows sequestration cuts to take effect, more than 170 million Americans could lose their jobs, according to Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.).

“If sequestration takes place, that’s going to be a great setback. We don’t need to be having something like sequestration that’s going to cause these job losses — over 170 million jobs that could be lost,” Waters said.
    (that would be the whole country, thanks to all the Marxis of California that ppl like this could hold office)

Nancy Pelosi has said that 300million people will be laid off, leaving the remaining 70 million Americans employed I guess? Lmao This lady is brain dead.
  • Bob 2013/03/04 16:29:06
    I don't know.
    Bob
    +1
    Obumass should be thrown in jail with all of his hooligans.
  • TouchTheStars 2013/03/04 15:17:58
    Yes.
    TouchTheStars
    +3
    they say let obama handle it. but the arm of obama is trying to man handle us
  • Sam 2013/03/04 15:04:31
    I don't know.
    Sam
    +2
    Not sure i can get much poorer. Anything is possible..especially with Obama in office..wait and see i guess.
  • janet 2013/03/04 13:50:08
    Yes.
    janet
    It is not on Obama it has more to do with the political sabotage that continues impede any positive movement forward.
    It is a shame that we all have to deteriorate for the narrow-mindedness of a few.
  • obama n... janet 2013/03/04 16:47:46
    obama needs to go
    +2
    It is Obama honey, he hasn't passed a budget in 4yrs, neither have the dem held senate. Which they are required to by the constatution. He set up the sequester to try and gain leverage to ask for more taxes, well he got his taxes with the fiscal cliff deal. (he knew republicans wouldn't like 50% defense cuts) So he made most of the cuts there. But*** he can't let Americans feel like the fed gov can cut the budget without any repercussion so he's gonna try and make these as felt as possible.
  • janet obama n... 2013/03/04 20:18:02
    janet
    I can respect your point of view however, I disagree.
  • skull 2013/03/04 12:03:05 (edited)
    I don't know.
    skull
    +2
    I am already affected by what going on with Goverment. I have nothing else the give. govertment takeing money
  • zcberry 2013/03/04 08:51:13
    Yes.
    zcberry
    Already is!!!!
  • exhon2009 2013/03/04 07:19:46
    Yes.
    exhon2009
    +1
    I'll be inundated with scary stories from a commander in chief who unlike the U.S. president he believes he models after, FDR, and who said "we have nothing to fear but fear itself", Obama seems intent on spreading the word that ""we have nothing to fear except the fear I'm, (Obama's), spreading".
  • kaZappoo 2013/03/04 04:51:09
    Yes.
    kaZappoo
    +1
    we all will be you DUMBAZZ !

the trickle down effect !
  • daylight kaZappoo 2013/03/04 07:36:39 (edited)
    daylight
    +1
    Yes, whats at the top comes down, and thats Amabo Jumbo Panochio .
    The man is bought, a puppet played by many lobbist, special interest, & pork, which Amabo said he would stop, do away with......unfaithful man he is.
    Panochio liar obama
  • kaZappoo daylight 2013/03/05 05:00:25
    kaZappoo
    you forgot his 3 mouth's !

facial / rectal & not sure where the other is !

but definately 3 of them !
  • einlucid 2013/03/04 03:25:45
    No.
    einlucid
    +3
    I don't rely on the feds
  • Dan 2013/03/04 02:59:03
    No.
    Dan
    +4
    The apocalypse hype is not supported by the math.
    No.
    +5
    Obama over blew the whole thing completly. Chicken little!
  • BigFig#9 2013/03/04 02:32:41
    Yes.
    BigFig#9
    +1
    Immediately, NO. But these things will trickle through the economy and impact all of us.
  • topcat128 2013/03/04 01:40:56
    No.
    topcat128
    +2
    We can't continue that huge borrowing for ever. We have a $16.5 Trillion dollar national debt(and growing ever day) and something has to give sooner or later. This debt can't and will never be repaid.
    If something isn't done and soon look for a financial crash and a depression 10 times worse than the great depression of the 1930's.
  • Sadierose Dobson 2013/03/04 00:53:41
    I don't know.
    Sadierose Dobson
    I think everyone will to some extent. I work retail...so we shall see.
  • Tarheel 2013/03/04 00:41:55
    No.
    Tarheel
    +1
    I won't be affected because I live in a right-to-work state (North Carolina.) So, I know how easy it is to be fired, harassed, etc. because employers have the power and employees don't. I've worked in advertising (different mediums) and now I'm in teaching.

At one radio station, the employees got together to discuss trying to join a union. Just for having a meeting several employees were fired for fairly bogus reasons. One dj had kidney problems and had to be on a kidney machine every week (I can't think of what it's called.) He lost his health insurance. He had to have a kidney transplant and everything. He passed away a few years later.

Another advertising company that I worked for fired about 15 employees every month. Some who may have missed quoted by $4 or something ridiculous. I was tremendously harassed by a sales manager to the extent that I felt like I'd hyperventilate every time he called me in his office. The EEOC begged me to take him to court. As I don't like to dwell on things, I didn't.

People on average make less money than their contemporaries in other places. (note, not all places).

On the other hand, this area and North Carolina, in general, has been fairly lucky over the years, economy wise.
  • Angus 2013/03/04 00:31:23
    No.
    Angus
    +2
    Dumbo Obama called for the Sequester. PERIOD

I suggest those on the left actually see what is going to be cut rather than listening to the lying piece of crap in the White House. Furthermore it is not in Obama's interest to come up with a solution for it goes against his strategy of hate mongering and class warfare.
    Bye the way; for all you libtards, you realize that Obama cut Medicare by 750 billion over the next 10 years right?
  • robert Angus 2013/03/05 13:57:42
    robert
    +1
    Alright! An american who aint afraid to say it like it is!!
  • Angus robert 2013/03/05 22:42:37
    Angus
    +1
    Amen to that Bro ;-)
  • robert Angus 2013/03/06 05:10:27
    robert
    +1
    Keep in the liberals faces ...you got some good fight in you!!
  • Bite my shiny metal ass 2013/03/04 00:09:09
    Yes.
    Bite my shiny metal ass
    We all will,jack

2014/10/25 04:27:49