The BIC lighter conspiracy.

Mr.Reasonable 2012/03/04 19:43:17
With the age of the smoker almost completely past, many people fail to see many of the unfair practices that go on in business and government on every level; Where anything to do with smoking is concerned.

There are many unfair practices and policies in place regarding smoking and smokers rights. One of the most evil, is Our government after issuing cigarettes as field rations all during WWII, saying medical problems developed by soldiers were "Self inflicted injuries" not eligible for assistance with expenses..

Many already are aware of things such as that, and there are a number of groups fighting for the Vets as they should be. As a smoker myself, I see all of the unfair issues around the smoking choice, and how non-smokers (Even so called "Patriotic American" non-smokers) don't have any problems with the Nazi style laws being passed and enforced. (Maybe they won't until they would like to have a cigarette someday, or at least have the freedom to do so if they wished.)

I smoke far less now than in my youth. When I was young everyone smoked, a doctor once set my broken arm, with a cigarette hanging from his mouth. My father once sent me with Fifty cents to the fire station, to buy a pack out the cigarettes out of the machine there, where I did just that, at no more than Five years old. Without any complications.. Imagine that!

I was never one to believe in conspiracies, even though I loved history in school and always made it my best subject, I never studied any of the historical conspiracies so until this last year, I never started weaving them together.

Since the time I finally did awake to all the ignored facts in this world we all seem to have a different image of. I have an epiphany each day now as to why 'things are the way they are.' Today's is the bic lighter. The BIC corporation can be traced back all the way to the Rothschild empire. The BIC was once the preferred disposable lighter among all smokers, to such a point that it survives today solely on it's past reputation!

Once a regular BIC lighter would last me Two to Three months, smoking more than I do now. Now a bic lighter of the same size, lasts less than a month, smoking less..
I stopped peeling the labels off of them in the 80's. A lighter would last till the label was worn off! Now ever lighter I throw away, still has a new looking label.. Has anyone else noticed this?

No groundbreaking news, no! Just an honest question, about a pet peeve.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/american-pro...

• Mr.Reas... Lucid 2012/03/05 18:56:13
    Mr.Reasonable
    +1
    Haven't seen those before.
  • Lucid Mr.Reas... 2012/03/05 19:02:25
    Lucid
    +1
    maybe its more of a european thing. I looked them up and apparently they are the worldwide leader in refillable lighters, with production levels of around 450 million a year. they do lots of different designs etc which makes them highly collectable.
  • darwolf 2012/03/05 18:31:34
    darwolf
    +1
    I only use zippos. zippo kit rae
  • Thank you but no... 2012/03/05 18:30:14
    Thank you but no...
    I have always used a Zippo. All the scouts in my troop have a BIC or a Cricket (much more common) for lighting fires or camp stoves.
  • Pet Rock Whisperer 2012/03/05 17:56:34
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +2
    You're right about the BIC lighters. They don't last nearly as long as they used to. Funny, I was just talking to a buddy about a bic lighter I found while cleaning out a car when I used to work for Budget rent car in the late 70s.The lighter had a ZEP logo (cleaning products) printed on the side. So there was no mistaking it for an ordinary yellow bic. That lighter lasted well over 6 months and at the time I smoked a pack and a half a day plus a lot of bud. Now a pack lasts me two days + and no bud, and a bic won't last a full month. I got fed up and quit buying em and instead use my trusty old Zippo! Seems we're in an age where companies go out of their way to cheat, rob, and rip off the consumer by any means they can. I have boycotted AT&T; and Sprint forever for that reason. I will never knowingly give either company a single penny of my hard earned loot ever again because of their thieving shyster practices.
  • Megan Rochelle Grim-Wise 2012/03/05 17:55:19
    Megan Rochelle Grim-Wise
    i love my bics. wont use anyhting else. BIC lighters
  • gtorborg77 2012/03/05 17:26:36
    gtorborg77
    +1
    My $0.02 worth: I was once a smoker; smoked for 19 years but quit more than 17 years ago. I don't really give a rat's ass if someone decides to light up - outside, or in a restaurant, etc. - it really doesn't bother me the way it obviously does to some people. But at the same time, there's an issue of "conflict of rights" going on here that simply can't be ignored. Yes, I feel that smokers have a right to smoke, but as a non-smoker (whether I personally care or not is irrelevant) I also have the right to breathe air that isn't filled with smoke. In other words, I have a right to a smoke-free workplace and home. Therefore, some regulations are ok as far as the workplace and in apartments and some public places - keyword: "some" - in order to PRESERVE the rights of both smokers and non-smokers. It all boils down to this: NO right can really be called a right if it impinges on the rights of another; one or the other really isn't a right and/or you have a "conflict of rights" in which someone needs to seriously examine whose rights are really being trampled on (and whose are not).

Regulations go "too far" in many instances, such as not allowing smoking in public parks or within 25 feet of buildings. But I feel it is NOT going to far when regulations forbid smoking INSID...

Regulations go "too far" in many instances, such as not allowing smoking in public parks or within 25 feet of buildings. But I feel it is NOT going to far when regulations forbid smoking INSIDE a classroom or office or public building. I am on the fence about restaurants and bars because one can choose not to go to restaurants that allow smoking, and restaurants can advertise their non-smoker status and let the market decide; but at the same time, there are smokers that abuse this right or otherwise push the envelope when it comes to the rights of the non-smoker too, so that's a tough one.
  • Mr.Reas... gtorborg77 2012/03/05 18:34:20
    Mr.Reasonable
    It should not be a matter for government to enforce or even acknowledge. IMO People have a right to smoke, people have a right to not be "endangered" by another's smoke. There are personal, civil, arrangements and compromises that could be made, without ever involving any government.
  • Mr.Reas... Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/03/05 18:35:41
    Mr.Reasonable
    +1
    I rarely lose anything anymore. Was much worse at it in my youth.
  • Pixie·Ÿ... Mr.Reas... 2012/03/05 18:37:58
  • Heywood Jablomi 2012/03/05 16:57:11 (edited)
    Heywood Jablomi
    My Bic lighters still last me as long as they ever did, and I also smoke-um peace pipe (which uses up a lighter pretty quickly, since you re-light after every puff.)

I've noticed that clerks in some convenience stores will loan lighters right off the display rack out to people when they need a light. Is it possible that the clerks at your local convenience store are loaning lighters out to crackheads, or perhaps using them themselves when they smoke pot behind the store?
  • Mr.Reas... Heywood... 2012/03/05 18:38:55
    Mr.Reasonable
    I'm comparing Bic's of today with those of the 80's.. Did you use them then?
  • Heywood... Mr.Reas... 2012/03/07 06:21:21
    Heywood Jablomi
    I started smoking in 1985.
  • Magdy mohamed 2012/03/05 16:52:01
    Magdy mohamed
    yeppers
  • ={WGO}=captnesti 2012/03/05 16:39:51
    ={WGO}=captnesti
    Just buy a zippo, they look nice. Sure, they will taint the taste of whatever you smoke, but you get a bit of fluid in there and can always refill it. Or just use those stick lighters, proabably a better if less convenient option.
  • gfreeman BN-0 2012/03/05 16:36:25
    gfreeman BN-0
    +2
    You should use this instead:

fire starting bow
  • sammykayode 2012/03/05 16:23:23
    sammykayode
    I don't use lighter because it's always missing when i used it.
  • Cookielane 2012/03/05 16:10:09
    Cookielane
    It's a marketing ploy that often goes unnoticed - put less in the package and charge the same price. BIC lighters aren't see-through, either, so you can't see how much you're getting ripped off.
  • wtxwoman 2012/03/05 16:06:44 (edited)
    wtxwoman
    +1
    Planned obsolecence, it's in everything now. It's a marketing tool. I still have tupperware I bought in the 60s. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that it's not that good now.
  • ϟM̈ öp̈ëdërϟ 2012/03/05 16:01:37
    ϟM̈ öp̈ëdërϟ
    I don't buy BIC's. I buy a cheaper brand.
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/03/05 01:45:03
    Inquisitve Kat
    +3
    I have noticed lighters last a lot less than they used to.
    The BICs with designs seem to run out even faster. I don't think it's just your imagination... or, if it is, it's mine, too.
  • sammanilla 2012/03/04 21:36:49
    sammanilla
    +3
    Now that you mention it, are they the only product where contents aren't reported?
  • Mr.Reas... sammanilla 2012/03/04 22:12:24
    Mr.Reasonable
    +2
    They do not have to mention their in your products because they are merely an ingredient in the products. Anything with cornflour, corn syrup, corn grain etc. Is likely to be their daemon seed product.
  • sammanilla Mr.Reas... 2012/03/04 22:14:01
    sammanilla
    +1
    I'm talking about quantity.
  • Mr.Reas... sammanilla 2012/03/04 22:32:03
    Mr.Reasonable
    +3
    lol I thought we were talking about mosanto. That is, another post I have up right now. lol Boy is my face red.
  • sammanilla Mr.Reas... 2012/03/04 22:41:29
    sammanilla
    +3
    Exactly how red is your face?
  • Mr.Reas... sammanilla 2012/03/04 22:53:56
  • sammanilla Mr.Reas... 2012/03/05 16:56:34
    sammanilla
    Sweet!
    sweet
  • BritPunk 2012/03/04 20:56:43
    BritPunk
    +1
    Get a Zippo, you can even learn to do cool tricks with it :-)
  • demon Destroyer aka Bash 2012/03/04 20:51:10
    demon Destroyer aka Bash
    +2
    Maybe you should call This jackass
  • Jay0Byrd 2012/03/04 20:17:07
    Jay0Byrd
    +1
    All I can say is... I liked the Commercial of Daffy Duck smoking a Camel Better! so did the kids.... at least it was in Color!
  • Mr.Reas... Jay0Byrd 2012/03/04 20:23:55
    Mr.Reasonable
    +1
    That goes to show how long smoking was endorsed by the "powers at be."
  • Jay0Byrd Mr.Reas... 2012/03/04 20:26:54
    Jay0Byrd
    +1
    Very True, even Reagan, and Charlton Heston did ads for Chesterfields, as did Johnny Unitas Football Star.
  • lucythetooth 2012/03/04 20:15:48
    lucythetooth
    +5
    I usually lose my lighter long before they run out so I haven't noticed any changes
  • Grabitz 2012/03/04 20:11:01
    Grabitz
    +2
    I have never noticed the Bic incident you seem to be having because I buy the cheap KING lighter 6 for a dollar so I expect them to run out fast , but I have noticed some last a lot longer then others , Maybe its the gas quality or something .
  • Striker 2012/03/04 20:07:04
    Striker
    +4
    I dunno about any conspiracy on BIC. They have always delivered far the best lighter for the $$. But I finally have now moved to e-cigs and hopefully on the non-smoker exit road after 58 years. The real conspiracy is taxing cigs to force us to quit. In a way it's related to not drilling so that we can't afford gas.
  • Mr.Reas... Striker 2012/03/04 20:26:54
    Mr.Reasonable
    +3
    Congrats on quitting after so long. Good thing you survived that nasty habit so long though isn't it..
  • Striker Mr.Reas... 2012/03/04 20:33:57
    Striker
    +3
    It wasn't entirely without "penalties", but so far, so good.
  • JoeBtfsplk 2012/03/04 19:50:29
    JoeBtfsplk
    planned obsolescence

2014/07/24 17:45:30