The Best Thing About Being A Liberal Is Not Having To Lie All The Time

ProudProgressive 2012/04/23 20:12:49

The Best Thing About Being A Liberal Is Not Having To Lie All The Time\
April 23, 2012
By Justin Rosario

You know what the best thing about being filthy liberal scum is? Not having to lie all the time. Seriously, ask yourself when was the last time you, as filthy liberal scum, had to lie to prove a point? Have you ever? Do you ever even feel the urge? I know I haven’t.

But the God, guns and guts group? They lie. All the time The powers that be at Fox News lie to their viewers. The GOP lies to their constituents. Conservative bloggers lie to their readers. That’s almost to be expected by now. Conservative policies are impossible to sell on their face value. It simply can’t be done. Everything has to be coded to make it palpable to the average moderate who can’t face the reality of their beliefs. It must be exhausting! No wonder conservatives are always cranky!

Because lists are fun:

Welfare is a drain on productive society = Black people are taking your money and living like royalty.

Obama isn’t a legal American citizen = It’s called the WHITE House for a reason, dammit!

Socialism! = Anything that is against corporate conservative interests.

Redistribution of wealth = Making you believe poor (minority) people are taking all your money to cover the fact that rich (white) people are actually taking all your money.

Death Panels!!! = How can we convince stupid people that limiting the abuses of insurance companies will be bad for them?

I like to deliver a challenge to my conservative opponents when we get on the topic of conservative dishonesty. So far, the challenge has not been met. Here’s the “Big Lie Challenge” (feel free to abuse your conservative friends with it):

I will name 5 Big Lies that most conservatives take as gospel despite being provably false. You, the conservative, will name 5 Big Lies that most liberals take as gospel. The caveat is that it cannot be something that is legitimately debatable like, for example, the results of climate change. There are too many unknowns to make a definitive statement. It also has to be something that mainstream conservatives/liberals put forth on a regular basis, real fringy stuff, like “Fluoride is a government plot,” is of no use.

Here’s my Big Five conservative lies:

1. Conservatives are fiscally responsible and only Liberals blow up the deficit.

2. We found WMDs in Iraq.

3. There is no racism in conservative politics.

4. Most people on welfare are of other than white descent.

5. Waterboarding is not, and never has been, considered torture by the United States.

There are so many, many more Big Lies, I just chose these at random, feel free to use your own.

The responses I receive tell me a lot about who I am dealing with. I’ve been handed a list of Liberal Big Lies that utterly fail the basic criteria of both legitimate debatability and something that Liberals repeat over and over telling me that the person is grasping at straws. I’ve received violent denial that my Lies are actually lies telling me that the person is woefully ignorant. I’ve also had people ignore the whole thing and start off on unrelated tangents telling me, very clearly, they know full well those Lies exist and are indefensible. This last group is my favorite as I keep refocusing on the Lies until they get frustrated with my doggedness and run away. It makes me smile to know that I’ve caused a conservative even a moment of hypocritical discomfort.

Why are conservatives so willing to believe the tripe that conservative politicians and media outlets dish out to them? Are they just stupid? Nah. Too easy. Also, not true. Are they all racists? While a disturbingly large amount of them are, no, that’s not it either. So what is it? How do otherwise rational, educated people come to believe something that every shred of empirical evidence contradicts?

I think a large part of it has to do with desperation and denial. The desperation that comes from what they perceive to be a tragic loss of power. American Exceptionalism is a heady concept that is self-reinforcing. We’re a Great country because we’re awesome. We deserve to be awesome because we’re so Great. There’s a distinct religious aspect to this belief but that is a completely different subject I’ll tackle another time.

Until recently, say, 2008, we WERE awesome in our own minds. So what if we couldn’t subjugate pacify two little pissant countries while covertly bombing a third? So what if the world was disgusted by our violation of human rights after being among the most vocal opponents of torture for decades? Who cares?! We’re AMERICA, dammit!

Then our economy crashed and untold millions lost their retirements, investments, savings, jobs and homes. Suddenly we weren’t so awesome anymore. Years of Wall Street deregulation blew up in our faces and the average schmuck on the street got hosed. For a very short time, all of the country’s rage was focused, appropriately, on the banks that had actually caused the collapse. Then the investment in right wing brainwashing paid off in spades. Quick! Find a scapegoat! Half of the country’s rage shifted to anything BUT the banks and the conservative policies that enabled their behavior. According to Fox and Rush and Beck and all the other highly paid shills it was Obama’s fault (or Freddie Mac or liberal spending or Social Security or whatever would stick when they threw it at the wall) and the filthy liberal scum were picking on the poor old multinational banks and billionaires to further their gay/socialist/communist/evil zombie Nazi agenda.

And it worked. The banks got a slap on the wrist (so far) and some token regulation (courtesy of their employees, conservative Senators, watering down the reform bill), millions lost everything and bank executives reaped giant bonuses paid for by tax dollars. Oh yeah, and the country put more power in the hands of conservatives in November 2010. Because that worked out so well last time. Dick Cheney would have laughed himself into a new heart attack if he still had a functioning heart to begin with at the time.

Still, it’s hard to believe in your own awesomeness when your country is teetering on the edge of a Depression that will suck the entire planet’s economy down with it. It’s even harder to believe in one’s own exceptionalism when the very policies that you, as a conservative, championed are the cause of said not-quite-there-yet Depression. So you’re desperate to reclaim what is “rightfully” yours but you’re the cause of your own downfall. What’s a good conservative to do? Of course! Immerse yourself so deeply in denial that Marie Antoinette would tell you to snap out of it and rejoin the real world.

This is where liberals and conservative diverge more than anywhere else. You prove to a liberal that they are wrong; they’ll suck it up and adjust. No impending Ice Age like they predicted in the 70’s? OK, chuck it. Pushing low interest loans without necessary oversight on the banks? Bad idea. Use a third party to dole out government college loans? Waste of money. Throw out the dysfunctional and try something different. This is why we call ourselves the reality based community and conservatives call us intellectual elitists. We study, we examine, we self correct when possible. We believe in the scientific method of testing a hypothesis, we trust in the capacity of mankind to be rational. We believe in progress and that progress can be made even under daunting circumstances.

Conservatives, on the other hand, can never be proven wrong because they are impervious to being corrected. The euphemisms for this are unending: “I believe in what my gut tells me.” “The mainstream media has a liberal bias.” “Your fancy college education doesn’t make you smarter than me.” “Common sense tells me everything I need to know.” “God said it, I believe it, case closed.” “Glenn Beck says differently.” It all boils down to the same thing; “I need to believe this no matter what because anything else will tumble the house of cards I base my world view on.”

Viewed through this lens, conservatism is less a political movement than it is a religion. And just like any religion, it is easily perverted by those in charge to serve their own agendas regardless of how benign it may have been at the beginning. This explains the average conservative’s inability to acknowledge any reality that conflicts with their own, why they have taken to demonizing liberals as “evil”, why they believe their priests politicians and pundits without question. It also explains why conservatives are so interested in eroding the barriers between State and Church. A topic I will address in my next hate filled, demonic, progressive posting: Republican Jesus™

Read More: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/04/23/the-best-t...

• Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2012/04/25 13:19:11
    Kat ♪ ~ ♪
    Should be in the jokes section.
  • MissingTheO.C. 2012/04/25 11:31:58
  • luvguins 2012/04/25 04:58:52
    luvguins
    +2
    The righties on SH will defend the indefensible every time. I have come to believe they are really not even from planet earth with the crap they post from Faux News, Newsmax, and WorldNutDaily. They believe it all and never question it. When others do they double down, get in deeper, deflect, or start insulting. They have no interest in any differing opinion, facts, figures or logic. They championed every front runner as the one until they were gone. It was funny to watch. Most were not thrilled with Romney, but he will now be made into a deity and savior by them. Get the popcorn out as it is going to be great entertainment.
  • Ozymandias 2012/04/25 03:27:52
  • YouSirName 2012/04/24 04:40:08
    YouSirName
    +2
    With apologies to Jeff Foxworthy:

If you don't have facts on your side (or any facts at all), you might be a conservative.

If you think that an argument is best if it ends with 5th grader name calling, you might be a conservative.

If you are never at a loss for the words "na na na na na" you might be a conservative.

If you like to call homosexuality an abomination because it is the "word of god," but conveniently ignore the requirement to give all your money to the poor because apparently god didn't mean that one, you might be a conservative.

If you advocate for limited government except when government is limiting someone else's freedom, you might be a conservative.

Finally, if you can't understand the difference between satire and serious argument, you might be a conservative.
    Interesting form of LIAR. H e cannot ever define the Democrats for what they are, I thnk he likes getting yelled as a liars ................................ my thinking he needs the attention.
  • Wyzard 2012/04/24 00:51:45
    Wyzard
    Liberals dont know how to be truthful!
  • Tink123 2012/04/23 22:39:21
  • dave b Tink123 2012/04/23 23:33:05
    dave b
    +1
    Love it!
  • Tink123 dave b 2012/04/23 23:34:48
    Tink123
    Ignorance must indeed be bliss, right?
  • ProudPr... Tink123 2012/04/25 17:19:19
    ProudProgressive
    LOL politifact got it wrong this time. If you read the article they basically confirm exactly what everyone has said about the Ryan budget except that the word "medicare" will still be used to describe what's left. Technically they're correct - but that's like saying you're going to remove the engine, the tires, the radio, the steering wheel and the seats, but you still have a car.
  • Tink123 ProudPr... 2012/04/25 18:00:01
    Tink123
    Sure...
  • unclepat 2012/04/23 22:19:14
    unclepat
    +3
    And then when they can't even keep up with their own lies they wind up being branded a flip flopper like this fool........ mitt romney flip flopper
  • rustyshackelford 2012/04/23 21:26:16 (edited)
  • ProudPr... rustysh... 2012/04/25 17:22:23
    ProudProgressive
    And Lincoln came to understand that the prevailing attitudes of the day, reflected in that 1858 statement, were obsolete and cruel, and by 1863 he was so convinced of the evils of marginalizing an entire race of people that he freed most of them.

Lincoln, one of the greatest Progressive leaders this nation has ever had, would admire and support President Obama, one of the other greatest Progressive leaders this nation has ever had.
  • rustysh... ProudPr... 2012/04/25 20:16:15
  • tonyynot 2012/04/23 21:03:09
    tonyynot
    +2
    liberals lie to themselfs
  • morris44 tonyynot 2012/04/24 20:11:46
    morris44
    +1
    selfs?
  • SoCal71 2012/04/23 20:48:18
    SoCal71
    +2
    Everyone lies, it's human natural... Liberals have no shame in it.
  • morris44 SoCal71 2012/04/24 20:12:03
    morris44
    human natural?
  • Kaimeso 2012/04/23 20:35:50
    Kaimeso
    +2
    I suppose I will once again get branded as something for pointing this out, but,...

This only proves you have been drinking the kool-aid the politicians have convinced you the other party is the enemy. Dumbass, ALL THE POLITICIANS are fiscally irresponsible and only stay in power because of people like you can't open your mind enough to realize the politicians are laughing at you.

2. We found WMDs in Iraq.
    Given a few years (which Saddam did have) I think I could hide some big trucks in an area the approximate size of California which you would never find. Especially if I was able to kill all of those that knew the location or exterminate any villagers that may have seen the trucks. As for something of value there were/are a whole lot of goverments that would take said WMDs off your hands for safe keeping.

The usual "Race Card",.. Oh well would have expected no less.

Check that, the race with the largest PERCENTAGE on welfare is not of white descent. Got to love it when people play with figures.

...

2. We found WMDs in Iraq.

Torture is difficult to define, for some slobs holding back their burger and fries is considered torture. Sitting a brat in the corner might be torture too. Waterboarding does no physical damage, but the untrained brain believes it is drowning which makes it effective and unlike using hot irons, whips, or bamboo under the finger nails waterboarding causes no physical damage.
  • Rusty B... Kaimeso 2012/04/23 20:43:31
    Rusty Bubbles
    +1
    We know Saddam had WMD's......we have the receipts from the sale

Cute little tykes still upset about water-boarding?.....Perhaps we should just send in a seal team to kill them instead, that should satisfy the libbies
  • Kaimeso Rusty B... 2012/04/23 21:09:21
    Kaimeso
    +2
    Well you do know that according to the progressive left, nerve gas is not really a weapon,.. just ask the Kurds
  • ProudPr... Kaimeso 2012/04/25 17:25:57
    ProudProgressive
    That was in the 1980s. There were no WMDs in Iraq in 2002 and Bush knew that very well.
  • morris44 Rusty B... 2012/04/24 20:18:14
    morris44
    +1
    Why did our grandfathers prosecute the Japanese for the same act?

I don't consider our elders (my father in particular) "cute little tykes"

"Asano was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor," Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) told his colleagues last Thursday during the debate on military commissions legislation. "We punished people with 15 years of hard labor when waterboarding was used against Americans in World War II," he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com...
  • Rusty B... morris44 2012/04/24 21:12:23
    Rusty Bubbles
    Like I stated, perhaps they should just sent in a seal team and kill them instead.

Liberal logic
    Water boarding = Bad
    Assassination = Good

Teasing prisoners = Bad
    Shooting them instead of taking them prisoner = Good

Blocking murdering abortion clinics = Bad
    Blocking streets so american can't provide for their families = Good

Going to war to push an invading army back into its own country = Bad
    Going to war because radical Muslim protesters asked for it = Good

And to top it off, you quote Sen. Edward M. Kennedy for speaking of water-boarding.................. Grief, Mary-Jo is turning in her grave
  • ProudPr... Rusty B... 2012/04/25 17:27:30
    ProudProgressive
    You honestly do believe that the solution is to just kill all the brown people, don't you? That's pretty sad.
  • morris44 Rusty B... 2012/04/26 18:35:46
    morris44
    Yes Kennedy is quoted but that doesn't negate the fact that our fathers generation prosecuted what you don't call torture.

I'm not getting into a liberal/conservative conversation.

Just facts about torture and our country's history with it.
  • Rusty B... morris44 2012/04/26 20:02:39
    Rusty Bubbles
    +1
    It good to see you wish to be pragmatic about it and in that vein, back up and re-read my posts; and I hope you'll see that I was being a bit cynical about the lefts position of torture vs. murder/killing. ~~~ of OBL
  • ProudPr... morris44 2012/04/25 17:26:40
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    It goes even further back. President Theodore Roosevelt had a Colonel in the Phillippines court-martialed for waterboarding prisonsers in the Spanish American War.
  • ProudPr... Rusty B... 2012/04/25 17:25:24
    ProudProgressive
    LOL it's great that you guys have no hesitation to prove the accuracy of this article. No, Saddam did not have WMDs. The only WMDs he ever had were given to him by the Reagan/Bush1 team (courtesy of good old Donald Rumsfeld), and he used them against his own people. But that was long before the turn of the century.

And the "let's just kill all the brown people" attitude of the Right Wing is about as brainless as it gets.
  • Rusty B... ProudPr... 2012/04/25 21:10:07
    Rusty Bubbles
    Why do you want to kill brown people?
  • darcie lamar 2012/04/23 20:32:51
    darcie lamar
    +7
    Top 10 Obama Lies
    by Human Events07/23/2011
    124
    Comments
    President Obama is becoming a veritable Pinocchio by stretching the truth on a regular basis. Here are the Top 10 Obama Lies.

1. Americans want higher taxes: During the debate over raising the debt ceiling, President Obama said that 80% of Americans support including higher taxes as part of the deal. But a Rasmussen poll taken the same week showed that only 34% believe a tax hike should be included in a debt-ceiling agreement.

2. Mother denied health insurance: During his presidential campaign, Obama said that his mother died of cancer after being denied coverage for a preexisting condition. He used her image in a campaign ad, repeated the claim in debates, and used the same rhetoric as President when he tried to sell ObamaCare to the American people. But a new book by New York Times reporter Janny Scott says that Obama’s mother, Ann Dunham, had health insurance through her employer and was only denied disability insurance.

3. Tax restraint for middle and lower class: Obama pledged during his campaign and throughout his presidency not to raise taxes on families making less than $250,000. But ObamaCare’s individual mandate will hit many under the $250,000 mark. (Obama’s own Justice Department said the mandat...

&

Top 10 Obama Lies
    by Human Events07/23/2011
    124
    Comments

3. Tax restraint for middle and lower class: Obama pledged during his campaign and throughout his presidency not to raise taxes on families making less than $250,000. But ObamaCare’s individual mandate will hit many under the $250,000 mark. (Obama’s own Justice Department said the mandate was a tax, not a penalty, when it argued its constitutionality.) Not to mention a higher federal cigarette tax and countless other “fees” in the health care law that hit the middle and lower class.

4. Shovel-ready jobs: When Obama was selling his $787 billion stimulus package, he consistently bragged about how shovel-ready construction jobs would be funded across the nation. Even the President later admitted that was a lie, when he told the New York Times: “There’s no such thing as shovel-ready projects.”

5. Keep your doctor: President Obama repeatedly pledged that under his health care measure, Americans would be able to keep their doctors. However, with rising costs, many employers will dump their health care plans and force workers into the state health care exchanges (unless you belong to one of the unions getting ObamaCare waivers.) A survey by McKinsey & Company found that more than 30% of companies will discontinue coverage for their workers.

6. No lobbyists: During the 2008 presidential campaign, Obama said: “We have the chance to tell all those corporate lobbyists that the days of them setting the agenda in Washington are over. … I don't take a dime of their money, and when I am President, they won't find a job in my White House.” At least a dozen former lobbyists got top jobs in his administration at the beginning of his presidency, according to Politico, and National Public Radio reported the Obama administration was granting waivers to lobbyists to circumvent the ban.

7. Foreign money in campaigns: During his 2010 State of the Union address, and again during the 2010 midterm elections, Obama railed against foreign money influencing U.S. elections. The only problem was that there was no evidence to support the charge or, as Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, in the State of the Union audience, silently mouthed, “Not true.”

8. Arizona immigration law: During the battle over Arizona’s immigration law, President Obama said: “Now suddenly if you don’t have your papers and you took your kid out to get ice cream, you can be harassed, that’s something that could potentially happen.” Uh, actually, Mr. President, it couldn’t. The law would allow law enforcement officials to inquire about immigration status only when there is suspicion of a crime being committed.

9. Transparency: Obama pledged that transparency would be a top priority, but his administration refused to grant one-third of the Freedom of Information Act requests, according to an Associated Press analysis. He also was dishonest about transparency when he said that health-care negotiations would be televised on C-SPAN and that he would wait five days to sign a bill so people would have a chance to read it online.

10. Constitutional oath: During his January 2009 inauguration, Barack Obama pledged to “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States,” yet he has consistently ignored the 10th Amendment giving powers not enumerated in the Constitution to the states. Exhibit No. 1: ObamaCare.

HUMAN EVENTS is the news source President Reagan called his "favorite newspaper" and we still hold high the Reaganesque principles of free enterprise, limited government and, above all, a staunch, unwavering defense of American freedom. obama as pinnocio
  • my2cents darcie ... 2012/04/23 22:06:20 (edited)
    my2cents
    +4
    I never heard Obama claim his mother died as a result of being denied coverage.

Can you give us a link showing when Obama said that?

I remember Obama said he watched his mother fight with the insurance company over claims while she was being treated for cancer.
  • unclepat my2cents 2012/04/23 22:16:34
    unclepat
    +2
    She won't. THAT ONE is one of the biggest damn liars on this site!!
  • ProudPr... darcie ... 2012/04/25 17:37:02
    ProudProgressive
    1. Americans overwhelmingly want tax rates on the richest Americans raised. They also strongly support closing the corporate loopholes that allow some of the largest corporations in the country to pay zero taxes.

2. The President never said that. He said that her medical problems and treatment were made more difficult because of insurance company games, but he never claimed that she died from lack of coverage.

3. If you make $250,000 or less your taxes are lower now than they have been in the last 50 years. And the President was not talking about penalties or taxes on things like cigarettes and gasoline. He was talking about income taxes.

4. The President did overestimate the number of projects that could be started immediately upon receiving funding, but first of all, a good faith overestimation isn't a lie, and second of all, given that the stimulus has been even more successful than was expected, having already created over 4 million American jobs, I don't think anyone's that upset that it took a little longer.

5. You can keep your doctor under the Health Care Reform Law.

6. A few exceptions in the public interest don't negate the overall progress the President has made in reducing the White House influence of lobbyists. If only Congress would do the same.

7. Al...

7. Alito was wrong, and the flood of foreign money unleashed by Citizens United is probably the single greatest threat to the freedom of American elections. The President was dead on accurate about that one, and Alito should be impeached for his complicity in letting it happen.

8. Again the President was spot on. Under SB1070, any law enforcement officer could "investigate" (aka throw you in jail) as a suspected illegal alien if he had "reasonable suspicion", which is not defined anywhere in the bill. Under the bill, which is in any event unconstitutional on other grounds, if a cop thinks you're an illegal, you can be thrown in jail. Period.

9. This Administration is by far the most transparent administration in well over a century.

10. This President has more understanding and respect for the Constitution than anyone since James Madison, who wrote it. He has never violated the Constitution, and if for once the Supreme Court manages to put the constitution ahead of politics they will confirm that the Health Care Reform Law is constitutional. And in any event, there's no lying involved. The President believes the constitution demands that we promote the general welfare. That is a specific power granted to Congress under Article I.

So as usual, you're 0 for 10.

Try again.
  • Sport_Geoff 2012/04/23 20:31:40 (edited)
    Sport_Geoff
    +4
    PP..your someone to talk about lies. Just last week you posted B.S. that M. Bachman referred to Obama as a tar baby. I challenged you twice to post the exact quote where she either called Obama or referred to Obama as a tar baby...yet all I have gotten from you so far is an old Simon and Garfunkle song.........you know, the one titled, "The sound of Silence"....BECAUSE IT WAS A LIBERAL LIE.
  • ProudPr... Sport_G... 2012/04/25 17:38:10
    ProudProgressive
    I've already shot you down on this one on another poll. You know I never said that Bachmann referred to the President as a tar baby. I proved you a liar on that poll, and if need be I can find it and prove it to you again.

I don't lie. And neither does the President.

[And it's "Garfunkel"]
  • Opinionated-Conservative 2012/04/23 20:25:34
  • Roger47 2012/04/23 20:23:45
    Roger47
    +4
    Great post. But conservatives have radar that enables them to avoid anything that might conflict with their beliefs, so do not expect any conservatives to even try to meet your challenge. They will take one look at the headline and move on in search of something about the President's birth certificate or Michelle Obama promothing good health, or any post with the word "socialism" in it.

2014/12/19 01:32:34