The best letter to the editor, ever!

I'm Left, You're Wrong 2010/02/24 14:02:17
To Washington Post Letters:

Steven F. Hayward wrote: “The single largest defect of modern conservatism, in my mind, is its insufficient ability to challenge liberalism at the intellectual level… .”

No.

The single largest defect of modern conservatism is that it has ruined the nation.

Conservatives do not have ideas; they have interests.

Conservatives are not “thinkers”; they are rationalizers who give an intellectual gloss to their belief that an alliance of predatory businesspeople and religious extremists should rule the rest of us.

The wreckage caused by modern conservatism lies all around us, and speaks for itself: If conservatism isn’t dead, it should be.

DANIEL ROSEN
Baltimore

Source: Washington Post 10/9/2009

• USAF Vet Dan 2010/02/24 20:40:58
    USAF Vet Dan
    +15
    Is that the "best"??? It was nothing more than vague generalities and jingoisms.

I'm not surprised that Mr. Rosen couldn't elaborate. The ills from which our country suffers has nothing to do with conservatism or liberalism and everything to do with Statism.... transferring responsibilities from the People into the hands of government bureaucrats. This has been occurring for decades (albeit not as rapidly as over the past nine years - yes, Bush was also a Statist who grew government's size and scope). History shows that the more government takes over, the worse things get.

Here is one example to prove my point. Some people plead for government to "intervene" and "fix" health care. But most don't know that the current failed system was mandated by the government. We were told that the HMO Act of 1973 was going to "fix" health care, even though nobody at the time thought it was broken. Compared to today's mess, it was functioning like a well-tuned Ferrari before the Act was passed. Well, we see how that turned out. Mega-corporations - 1, the People - 0.

I wish both "liberals" and "conservatives" would stop looking at the hand the magician is waiving... it's the other one that's doing the trick.

• Merl Joseph ... 2010/02/25 02:38:59
    Merl
    Remember him well, I live in his district. I think they did not go far enough with that investigation. From the contractors I knew who dealt with him, there were over twenty legislators on the take from that exposed scheme. We still have the ability to shoot people for treason, we just no longer have the will. That is what should have been done to Cunningham and the rest who were involoved. He was a slick bastard, he was one of the first politicians I met when I moved here. My gut told me he was a bastard after shaking his hand, anyone with a weak handshake is not to be trusted.
  • Joseph ... Merl 2010/02/25 03:05:43
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Well Meri, I for one accept that if you have a 6 figure Annual Salary, you should vote Conservative. You have a right to serve your own Greed and Profits, at real working and middle class Americans costs. You, I have no gripe with. Makes sense. It is the poor dumb ignorant American, that dosen't make a 6 figure income, but insist on voting against him/her self repeatedly, falling for the Propaganda of the Right-Wing, Elitist Wealthiest Americans who laugh at them all the way to the bank. They use the old Aristocrats point to the Serf that god chose them to be in charge cause god loves them more and that is why they are more intelligent, and can best say what is good for America and her people. And these many years after the Enlightened Period, the poor dumb American Fringers and Teabaggers, insist on doing their bidding.
  • Merl Joseph ... 2010/02/25 03:46:07
    Merl
    How about a seven or eight figure salary. I serve my patients and clients very well, without my ablility to serve I would not have earned the wealth I now hold. That is what pisses me off the most, I come from parents with very little means, and I am not the smartest man in the world, so if I can do it against the odds, why should I expect or accept anything else from any other American. We live in the greatest country ever to grace this earth, where opportunity is at every corner. I would also clue you in a little the weathiest among us are mostly socialist liberals because of thier self loathing and need for power over others. That is why they would support a figure head like Obama, becasue he is easily manipulated and it makes them feel better about themselves. There exists propaganda on every side it is only the unprincipled that fall for it. The majority of this country are sheep to be lead, as with most developed societies. All I am looking for in elected officials is honor and if that cannot be found we are all damned to continually repeat history.
  • Joseph ... Daring ... 2010/02/24 17:13:41 (edited)
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    Gotta agree. I think however that you are not making an offer as to what should be done. I say tightly regulate and manage Corporate Greed. A group of Bureaucrats to do this task. Elected or appointed that are easily replaced if they do not do their jobs, or take rewards from the moneyed Conservative Corporate-Fascist. Also, non-profit organizations to accumulate, manage and distribute Contingency and rare national resources like Water, Oil, Coal, Natural Gas, etc. To say this country has become a part of the Global Corporatism is fine, but what is the answer? I say close down the Conservatives. Big Government is required to manage these Robber-Barons. Replace the two party system with; right to left, Progressive-Democrats, Liberal-Democrats, Socialist-Democrats with the central plank of Government Social-Justice, and nails of Humanity. We are behind the times and Americans deserve a government, of the People, by the People, for the People and is long overdue. nails humanity times americans deserve government people people people overdue
    Economic Growth is required, but must be managed in a Capitalist Society.
  • Daring ... Joseph ... 2010/02/24 18:04:43
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    Your ideas, Joseph, are the other extreme and therefore just as dangerous, when given full rein, as capitalism has proven to be. We must find the middle ground again. We have been on this capitalist roller coaster for so long, we have a tendency to see the other extreme as the answer.
  • Joseph ... Daring ... 2010/02/25 03:18:48 (edited)
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    I disagree. Socialist-Democracy is the middle-ground. Maybe Center-Left if the full rein is considered, Communism (Which we do not need nor want) is the extreme Left. What we have now is the Extreme Right already, where the Corporate-Fascist now with even the John Birch Society in their numbers (See CPAC 2010) and that makes The Socialist-Democrats the Center.
    [Communist >> Socialist-Democrat >> Center >> Republican-Fascist >> Corporate-Fascist]
    We are currently in the extreme Right, even though we have a Center/Left Moderate President, and a majority Left/Left Congress. Americans, once they are no longer fearful of the Socialist title, brought out by the John Birchers and Joe McCartiest, will applaud a Socialist-Democratic Government, of the People, by the People, for the People as we were once promised and have every right to expect.
    joe mccartiest applaud socialist-democratic government people people people promised expect
  • Daring ... Joseph ... 2010/02/25 05:18:17
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    I agree most with this post. I know we agree more than not, I just think that before we can find find solutions, we need to get to the root of the problem and sort the good from the bad. Who is to blame, who are the victims? Who has no idea they are being used by this system? If more people understand that conservatives and liberals are not enemies, then we are more likely to be able to fix these problems, long term.
  • HL 2010/02/24 14:19:00
    HL
    +2
    Very good post! I love the last sentence very true.
  • kmay 2010/02/24 14:09:27 (edited)
    kmay
    +2
    A subjective opinion of one man.

See this movie in March for the facts...

The current economic crisis is not a failure of capitalism, but a failure of culture. Generation Zero explores the cultural roots of the global financial meltdown - beginning with the narcissism of the 1960's, spreading like a virus through the self-indulgent 90's, and exploding across the world in the present economic cataclysm.

Generation Zero goes beneath the shallow media headlines and talking head sound bites to get to the source of today's economic nightmare. With a cutting edge style and haunting imagery, this must see documentary will change everything you thought you knew about Wall Street and Washington.

Featuring experts, authors, and pundits from across the political spectrum, Generation Zero exposes the little told story of how the mindset of the baby boomers sowed the seeds of economic disaster that will be reaped by coming generations.
  • Warren ... kmay 2010/02/24 15:34:14
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +3
    Damn hippies, I knew we could blame it on hippies! damn hippies blame hippies
  • Daring ... kmay 2010/02/24 15:37:01
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    +2
    Stephen K. Bannon: Writer/Director/Producer of this propaganda is a former M&A Investment Banker at Goldman Sachs and a far right corporatist. Hardly an impartial view.....
  • Merl Daring ... 2010/02/24 16:11:27
    Merl
    +2
    Is any view really impartial?
  • Daring ... Merl 2010/02/24 16:42:00
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    +3
    Some are less partial than others. The view of a bank robber; that the customers are at fault, not himself; does not deserve to same weight as that of the customers themselves.
  • Merl Daring ... 2010/02/24 17:17:36
    Merl
    +1
    Just trying to point out that there is no such thing as impartiality, objectivity, or fairness. That is all.
  • kmay Daring ... 2010/02/24 17:45:22 (edited)
    kmay
    +1
    Look what Obama did for Sachs and Government Motors as well as Big Pharma. Looks like progressives are in the corporate pockets as well.
  • Daring ... kmay 2010/02/24 18:13:37
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    +2
    Did you read my post? That IS my point! There are liberals, conservatives and corporatists. The corporatists are stealing our democracy by using the politicians of both parties while pretending to the labels of conservative and liberal.
  • kmay Daring ... 2010/02/24 21:00:38 (edited)
    kmay
    I call all of them progressives. Conservative R's, D's and I's do not think that way.
    You can't paint all corporations with one broad brush.
  • Daring ... kmay 2010/02/24 22:32:51
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    +1
    You can. All corporations are here to make money. That is, by U.S. law, their incentive. Any corporation that becomes so powerful that it is 'too big to fail' is a danger to the society in which it resides.

Calling 'all of them' progressives is partisan and ignorant. You need to turn off Glenn Beck. Progressivism is the same as liberalism and NOT the same as corporatism. Fighting amongst ourselves and continuing to allow the corporations to spin the truth, is exactly the way to keep the corporations in power and the people in the background.
  • kmay Daring ... 2010/02/24 22:39:26
    kmay
    No you can't. All are not too big to fail. All are not corrupt.
  • Daring ... kmay 2010/02/24 23:04:10
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    No they aren't. That is why I qualified it with "Any corporation that becomes..." The fact that making money is their only legal incentive, at least in the U.S., leaves them more vulnerable to corruption than 'the people'. What is best for a corporation is not necessarily good for people and, by law, a corporation must pursue what is best for the corporation and it's shareholders.
  • kmay Daring ... 2010/02/24 23:32:56
    kmay
    Not that simple.
  • Daring ... kmay 2010/02/24 23:43:37
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    How so.
  • pocket ... kmay 2010/02/24 16:29:06
    pocket squirrel
    +2
    I saw these 2 guys on Hannity (yes, I admit it. sometimes I stop to see what's on) last night and it seemed obvious to me that they made this movie around their ideology. They started w/a belief (damn liberal hippies are the cause of all problems) and then made their movie to support that. I would say they have taken Michael Moore's tactics to new heights.
  • Joseph ... pocket ... 2010/02/24 17:42:32
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +2
    "(yes, I admit it. sometimes I stop to see what's on)" Did you mean to say "Stoop." Stoop makes more sense. But be careful, your back will hurt stooping so low, and your brain cells lost will not be regenerated.
  • pocket ... Joseph ... 2010/02/24 18:01:38
    pocket squirrel
    +2
    as my dad used to say, I "monitor" what they are doing.
  • Joseph ... kmay 2010/02/24 17:37:57 (edited)
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    Bullshit! The Corporate-Fascist found a President that would re-initiate a failed Reaganomics-trickle-down economics system, where the redistribution of all wealth from the working and middle-class went to enrich the top 3% of America;'s Wealthy Elite, with the 3-times failed theory that money moved to the top would trickle down and enrich America's working classes. Instead, the Wealthiest decided they could make even more profits if they sent their excesses overseas to cheap labor markets, without any regard to the fact that if money is not fairly distributed, the American People have no money to purchase. They failed themselves, and us, the American People, and American Fiscal Policies went off the track. Capitalism, without restrictions, without controls, too much power, failed us all, and except for a brilliant new President, who pulled us back from the Brink of Global Depression, we would be eating dirt again, the 2nd time thanks to Capitalist Greed. Time to smarten up and remove the snake eating America's own.
  • kmay Joseph ... 2010/02/24 17:46:55
    kmay
    Bunkum!
  • Babel Fish Joseph ... 2010/02/25 03:55:23
    Babel Fish
    The new president has his strings pulled by a different set of corporations than Bush had pulling his. The new presidents Ideas on stimulating the recession came from a meeting with Gordon Brown an economist and the prime minister of UK. Most nations agreed to follow Gordon's economical tactics. If it works the clever one is Gordon Brown. You can look up his various speeches and lectures up on 10 Downing Street prior to Obama took the seat of power. The total plan has been followed other than Obama bailing out the automobile industry.

The problem of corpracy is not just a US one corporations are in control of most nations its been the new world order that has gradually eroded good governance since the age of monarchy especially gaining strength in the USA in the last 200 years and more so since the fall of the British empire that was drove by corpracy (one of the reasons for the Boston tea party and US declaring their independence). Its now become blatant after illegal donations became legal, in fact that factor will it self be the down fall of corruption of governance. Hopefully not just in the USA but on a global scale.

Capitalism can prosper and possibly better without government control it also would make taxes lower, yes corruption hits the public purse hard and its ...

Capitalism can prosper and possibly better without government control it also would make taxes lower, yes corruption hits the public purse hard and its the citizen that pays for its existence via taxes. Muliti-National Corporation are tax evasion experts plus each and every corporation are forever looking for tax shelters and some methods to evade taxes.

Not one political party really wants to put a fall stop on corruption of governments the most we can expect is a control but not eradication. The democratic party is making a noise but they will not go whole hog in solving the problem. As their strings are pulled by corporations and it will take a lot of people power to pressurize them to do so. I can not see that ever happening at present I see many aware many talking about the problem and not many wanting to help change the system. I have analyzed that factor as help starting nine dogs that has just frozen in its steps. But I however see that Tea and myself have defiantly started people questioning the problem and being discussed at the control and blatant facts. With one US party that seemingly thinks it will win the next election because multi-nationals corporations will pour in more of their bung money into the political pot.

2014/08/27 23:16:12