The American Medical Association is now calling obesity a disease, hoping the reclassification will give people greater access to care. Do you agree that obesity is a disease?

ABC News U.S. 2013/06/19 20:25:57
Related Topics: Medical, Obesity, American

• Teri- Oregon 2013/06/20 11:59:07
    Teri- Oregon
    How ever some of the psychological problems associated with eating disorders could constitute a mental disease. However, I believe the problem lies more in the nutrition and quality of food that is not loner available or is too expensive for most people to acquire. Not to mention all the silly laws about raw milk and organic food that the government has forced on us.
  • mighty mouse ~PWCM~JLA 2013/06/20 02:53:33
    mighty mouse ~PWCM~JLA
    ..but only if I can get my disability check started.
  • Camoron 2013/06/19 23:35:49
    Camoron
    If it gives people greater access to treatment or diet options then who cares about the semantics? People need better education when it comes to nutrition and exercise and the school system needs a kick in the ass, maybe classifying obesity as a disease will make us realize that we are actually sick.
  • rbeas 2013/06/19 22:59:01
    rbeas
    Any addiction is a disease
  • chicagosjentleone 2013/06/19 22:24:03
    chicagosjentleone
    +1
    I know people that have had transplants and to keep the body from rejecting, they take steroids, they gain weight. I also know people with thyroid issues that make them gain weight. I am on steroids to keeps my asthma in check since I am allergic to the outside world(should be in a bubble) and I have gained 40 lbs in one year on the new medication. I don't eat crap food, I make food from scratch and I eat small portions. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I mostly drink water, I eat my veggies and fruits. It's a terrible cycle being on steroids. I hate it. I don't think I should be penalized for being overweight when that is out of my control. you can't put a blanket on everyone who is overweight.
    There are eating disorders, here's a link to describe some.

http://www.eatingdisordersonl...

Now, I also know people who just plain like to eat. Like I said, can't put a blanket on it.
  • arrestforcefeeders 2013/06/19 22:02:32
  • Dan arrestf... 2013/06/20 03:20:56
    Dan
    +1
    I've noticed that disease and disorder classifications have little to do with actual medical definitions and more to do with the "politically correct" thing to do at the time.
  • arrestf... Dan 2013/06/25 22:16:53
  • Dan arrestf... 2013/06/26 02:18:22
    Dan
    +1
    The old saying is very true: Follow the money.
  • arrestf... Dan 2013/06/26 22:01:25
  • Cal 2013/06/19 20:35:49
    Cal
    Obesity is most certainly not a disease and it's sad the CDC is succumbing to such stupidity. Are they going to declare laziness a disease next? Perhaps the reason you are fat is because you haven't made the effort to lose the weight. You don't need care...you need a treadmill. If you do need care...then you should pay for it. However lets not twist the word disease to cover up laziness.
    yes

2014/11/24 04:03:54