The Amazing Atheist - One Small Step

ϟMopederϟ 2012/08/27 11:55:48

• Tastentier 2012/08/27 12:20:45 (edited)
    RIP Neil Armstrong
    Tastentier
    +5
    It's a great idea to honor Neil Armstrong. But after watching the video, I find that the condescending blather towards the end diminishes Armstrong's legacy and insults all people who played a part in one of humanity's greatest accomplishments.

And despite the fact that I'm non-religious myself, I find the self-aggrandizing "The Amazing Atheist" intro in extremely bad taste considering that Neil Armstrong was a Christian. Activists like the person who made this video are the reason that I've become increasingly reluctant to call myself an atheist.

If we can learn anything from Neil Armstrong (and Buzz Aldrin, for that matter), it is that religion and science can coexist, and that some of humanity's greatest explorers and thinkers were religious. To use their legacy as an opportunity to preach one's own agenda, which in case of the Amazing Atheist is not only anti-religious but outright misanthropic, is a very small-minded and petty thing to do imho.

• deborah sletten 2012/08/28 04:27:35
    Other
    deborah sletten
    You see the foot step in the deep dust and the flag flapping in the wind, seems odd there was no dust storm. Maybe we never went to the moon, just a verbal/optical win over the Russian. So, what went with the money?
  • Peru 2012/08/27 17:26:39 (edited)
    Other
    Peru
    +2
    Well what we've basically seen is that socialist efforts to tame the cosmos have not accomplished nearly as much as was hoped for or promised. While the author of this video bemoans the cutting of NASA for what he calls "partisan political reasons", private industry will happily let you go into space, if you pony up the cash.

So while Neil Armstrong made Americans proud to have beaten the USSR (which collapsed of its own weight some 20 years later due to events completely unrelated to space research) when all is said and done, it really didn't mean anything at all.

Perhaps what Americans should be paying more attention to is the fact that the unfunded liabilities of their government jumped from $211 trillion to $222 trillion last year, making it increasingly more likely that a bunch of senior citizens are going to find themselves without the medical care and social security they were promised and have paid for their entire working lives.

And don't kid yourself... if McCain had been the president, nothing would have changed. And regardless whether Romma or Obaney wins in November, no real changes will be made in the direction of the US to play Big Brother with its own citizens in the name of fighting terrorism, bombing Arabs for Jesus (and oil), and arguing over gay marri...

And don't kid yourself... if McCain had been the president, nothing would have changed. And regardless whether Romma or Obaney wins in November, no real changes will be made in the direction of the US to play Big Brother with its own citizens in the name of fighting terrorism, bombing Arabs for Jesus (and oil), and arguing over gay marriage while their economy goes even further into the toilet.

So I guess we should all cheer Neil Armstrong and look forward to March Madness and Superbowl Sunday. It sure beats taking a serous, sober look at US insolvency, doesn't it?
  • BlytheS... Peru 2012/09/06 07:53:38
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    Oh my. Where have you been all my life??? hammer and nail
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/08/27 14:07:19
    RIP Neil Armstrong
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
  • sandi 2012/08/27 12:45:49
    RIP Neil Armstrong
    sandi
    +3
    Neil Armstrong was not an atheist but a Deist, that is to say that he believed in a creator but not necessarily through any form of organised religion
  • Radical Ed sandi 2012/08/27 14:19:20
    Radical Ed
    +2
    the video wasn't about whether the guy was either, it was saying that our search for knowledge should take precedence over our desire to have power over others.
  • cutter's falls 2012/08/27 12:31:56
  • Brian Griffin 2012/08/27 12:20:55
    RIP Neil Armstrong
    Brian Griffin
    +3
    So sad that he passed away :(
    RIP Neil Armstrong
    Tastentier
    +5

2014/08/27 22:03:42