The absurd idea that we should "respect" other religions and cultures

Chaya2010 2012/05/20 18:02:13
There is an extraordinary modern idea that we should "respect" other people's beliefs. Often it is suggested that we should "respect" Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism or other religions, simply because they are old, or have lots of followers.

This shows a basic lack of understanding of what a free society is. A free society is one in which you have the right to believe nonsense, and I have the right to call it nonsense. You don't have to "respect" my stupid beliefs. And I don't have to "respect" yours. But we both must agree to leave the other alone to believe what they want in peace. So many so-called "liberals" fail to understand this basic building block of a western liberal society.

• jesusandmo.net cartoon on the idea that we have to "respect" other people's beliefs.

• It's time to get serious, Theodore Dalrymple, The Spectator, 11 February 2006, on the Muhammed cartoons hysteria:
    • "It is abject nonsense to say that we understand and even share to some degree the primitive Muslim outrage expressed ... at the Danish cartoons, in the unctuous Clintonian sense of feeling their pain. Perhaps we understand the outrage in the anthropological sense, as a symptom of injured pride and the thuggishness that injured pride generates. But that is not what Jack Straw ... meant, or rather intended us to think he meant."
    • "We do not, most of us, respect Islam any more than we respect people who speak in tongues. What we respect is the right of Muslims to practise their religion in perfect peace, in so far as it does not conflict with our laws. ... Tolerance is not a matter of respecting what is tolerated - if it were, tolerance would hardly be necessary."
    • "Surely Muslims in this country and elsewhere know perfectly well that we, most of us, do not respect their religion, in the sense of according it highintellectual, moral or artistic status in the modern world ... Some among them find this intolerable"
    • He is appalled at politicians' response to the cartoons hysteria: "Instead, Muslims should be told quite clearly that our citizens have the legal right to criticise, lampoon, ridicule and mock Mohammed to their heart's content, in any way that they wish: that Islam and Muslims have no special claim to protection from the rough and tumble of post-Enlightenment intellectual, political and social life. If they cannot live in a society in which this is the case, they should go somewhere else"

• The atheist Johann Hari on Islam, 14 August 2008: "Insulating a religion from criticism - surrounding it with an electric fence called "respect" - keeps it stunted at its most infantile and fundamentalist stage. The smart, questioning and instinctively moral Muslims - the majority - learn to be silent, or are shunned (at best). ... So why do many people who cheer The Life Of Brian and Jerry Springer: The Opera turn into clucking Mary Whitehouses when it comes to Islam? ... It is condescending to treat Muslims like excitable children who cannot cope with the probing, mocking treatment we hand out to Christianity, Judaism and Buddhism."

• Oliver Kamm:
    • Religious tests and public office: "If you're a religious believer, don't ask me for respect; you don't have it. Call me an "Islamophobe" or a "Christianophobe" and I will accept these terms as compliments ... If you seek legal protection for your religious beliefs (as opposed to the freedom to worship any god or none) then I will oppose you and accept no compromise. But leave me and (more important) my fellow citizens alone, and I will remain indifferent to whatever myths of origins and eschatology you espouse."
    • Demanding respect. Q. "So are you saying that it is "inherently unreasonable" for any religious group to ask for respect?" A. "Yes, of course. The most, as well as the least, that any religious group is entitled to is freedom of belief, conscience, speech, worship and association, and that there be no religious test for public office. To ask for respect as well is inherently unreasonable."
    • Oliver Kamm, August 14, 2008: "I strongly reject the notion that belief in the sacred is entitled to protection, whether by voluntary indulgence or legal sanction. The principle of respect for other people's deepest beliefs is not one I hold, and I consider its implications are pernicious."

• CAPISCE 2012/05/27 15:51:15
  • Chaya2010 CAPISCE 2012/05/27 20:53:18
    Chaya2010
    I don't see why one should show tolerance towards intolerance or that which imposes it ideology on me without my consent.
  • CAPISCE Chaya2010 2012/05/28 20:20:01
    CAPISCE
    +1
    I understand your point but tolerance toward evil will change a few minds, That said any person who shows aggression toward America should have a stick of dynamite shoved up there butts and blown to bits on national television.
    That said we can not paint every person in a given group with a broad brush. When the individual acts we should then react with 10x more force and conviction as there original act but not assume each individual will act against us personally or against America in general.
  • Bastion 2012/05/21 19:38:35
    Bastion
    What is it that you don't think you have the right to do regarding other religions?

What is your point? You can THINK or SAY anything you want - unless you want to incite others to action. THINKING isn't a crime - intolerant action , discrimination and violence are.

I'll repeat: what do you want that you don't have?
  • Chaya2010 Bastion 2012/05/21 21:25:05 (edited)
    Chaya2010
    F*ck off and you are blocked!!
  • Bastion Chaya2010 2012/05/21 22:03:25 (edited)
    Bastion
    Not, apparently.

What a violent reaction. What did I say to get you all worked up like THAT?
  • Chaya2010 Bastion 2012/05/21 22:26:07
    Chaya2010
    +1
    You are a vicious Jew hater F _ YOU
  • Bastion Chaya2010 2012/05/22 00:16:53
    Bastion
    what did I say that gave me away
  • Chaya2010 Bastion 2012/05/21 22:28:52
    Chaya2010
    Go and speak to your nazi friends....
  • Bastion Chaya2010 2012/05/22 00:17:28
    Bastion
    i don't have any nazi friends . . . I don't even have any fascist friends
  • JanHopkins 2012/05/20 22:05:36
    JanHopkins
    Just leave me alone and I will agree to leave you alone. If you try to push me, I'll push back.
  • Chaya2010 JanHopkins 2012/05/20 22:47:01
    Chaya2010
    Sounds like fighting talk. I hear ya.
  • john Kills 2012/05/20 20:26:50
    john Kills
    +1
    I support the good ol' boy culture of America.
  • Liliana 2012/05/20 18:57:06
    Liliana
    +1
    u know what...just let ppl do their thing and u do urs..believe what u want and let them believe what they want period
  • Chaya2010 Liliana 2012/05/20 19:04:28
    Chaya2010
    +1
    Its when it infringes upon me it becomes my problem.
  • Liliana Chaya2010 2012/05/20 19:08:08
  • Chaya2010 Liliana 2012/05/20 19:35:57
    Chaya2010
    I'll be specific, I live in Britain where halal meat is served in many restaurants and its not labelled which denies me the choice of opting in or out, my tax money pays brides of polygamous marriages if conducted outside Britain even though bigamy is illegal in Britain then there are Sharia Courts that are legally binding in Britain. Its things like this I object to.
  • Liliana Chaya2010 2012/05/20 20:45:15
  • CAPISCE Chaya2010 2012/05/27 15:54:48
    CAPISCE
    I agree with much of what u said. Should be your choice and the whole Sharia law issue is crap--should we also accept the satanic bible and satans law?
  • indycar 2012/05/20 18:25:13
    indycar
    +2
    Jesus preached love everyone apparently i missed the part where he said love everyone unless they have different thinking of you
  • CuppaT ... indycar 2012/05/20 19:10:56
    CuppaT   Child of God
    Amen to that!

love one another
  • Waldorf 2012/05/20 18:20:09 (edited)
    Waldorf
    +1
    Islamists and their Sharia law kill people who don't conform. All other religions and cultures are "the infidels".That is at least 1000 years out of sync with the developed world and does not warrant any more respect in return than it provides.
  • Chaya2010 Waldorf 2012/05/20 19:06:13
    Chaya2010
    I'm don't like Sharia and definitely not in the West.
  • CuppaT ... Waldorf 2012/05/20 19:13:31 (edited)
    CuppaT   Child of God
    +2
    And what did the Christians do during the Crusades.

judge not
  • Waldorf CuppaT ... 2012/05/20 19:15:42
    Waldorf
    +2
    No one today is accountable for that, while the Muslims go on killing as much or more than before.
  • Cash Flagg Waldorf 2012/07/20 01:53:00
    Cash Flagg
    +3
    Why does everyone bring up the crusades? The crusades involved Christians taking back land that had been previously conquered by Muslims! Besides that it happened hundreds of years ago we're talking about right now!
  • Chaya2010 CuppaT ... 2012/05/20 19:37:51
    Chaya2010
    The Abrahamic faiths have a bloody history. Some religions are currently more benign than others not all religious beliefs are as valid and equal as others due to some of the mainstream religions not being reformed.
  • CAPISCE CuppaT ... 2012/05/27 15:55:29
    CAPISCE
    Not all Christians
  • Cash Flagg CuppaT ... 2012/07/20 01:54:19
    Cash Flagg
    +2
    Sorry replied to the wrong person. Why does everyone bring up the crusades? The crusades involved Christians taking back land that had been previously conquered by Muslims! Besides that it happened hundreds of years ago we're talking about right now!
  • CuppaT ... Cash Flagg 2012/07/20 03:34:58
    CuppaT   Child of God
    So, following your logic, we shouldn't be surprised if the Native Americans and the Mexicans start reclaiming land that was rightfully theirs.
  • Bill Da... CuppaT ... 2013/02/27 21:42:19
    Bill Davison
    +3
    On the following site will be found a serious 'verse' re Religiosity - - - www.absurdbelief.info - - - All Fact - No DECEPTIONS!
  • Walaa Waldorf 2012/05/20 19:30:11
    Walaa
    +1
    Okay really this thing about infidels is TOTALLY misinterpreted by these asses of Sheikhs, under any circumstances is a person muslim or not to kill anyone, in Islam when a country is invaded the only "infidels" that were killed were on the war zone, after the war ends the people get to choose between being a muslim (they were taught about islam) or to stay and help the muslim out OR to get out or some will simply be held captives if they were participating if the war. If this infidel thing was to be true, how come the prophets neighbor was a Jew, how is it that one of his allies were christians. Its not the religion, its the people and their ignorance that lead them to such interpretations through including their own opinions in their interpretations, their "dislike" if not hate for people who dont believe in the same religion have caused them to be bias thereby ruining their religion's reputation and harming others. Just so you know, there are other muslims like myself that really dont agree to such actions and words that are said and done by these people. I simply hope that people understand that its not the whole muslim society thats like that, if I was rich enough I'd probably send you a airplane ticket to Bahrain and have a look.
  • Chaya2010 Walaa 2012/05/20 19:40:21
    Chaya2010
    +1
    Mohammed had an entire Jewish tribe killed and there are hadiths which can be construed as anti-Jewish and Christian. I think the problem lies that there is no one or central authority in Islam. This is not to say that all Muslims are bad or follow their religion blindly most don't.
  • Walaa Chaya2010 2012/05/20 19:49:46
    Walaa
    Look into the reasons. Anti-Jewish maybe, christians not really. Remember that at that time Jews werent so nice on so many levels, people happen to confuse between the people of the past and today's.
  • Chaya2010 Walaa 2012/05/20 20:16:45
    Chaya2010
    +1
    I think the slaughter of male Jews and taking the women and prepubescent children as spoils of war are detestable but I understand it within its historical context ie: of the 7th century. I just don't nor will I subscribe to the notion that Islam as a belief system isn't hostile towards Jews specifically and Christians even though they are considered people of he book.

Jews as well as Christians lived as dhimmis and paid the jizyah, there were countless progroms of Jews in Arab lands even before the creation of the modern state of Israel.
    http://www.jewishvirtuallibra...
    http://jewishrefugees.blogspo...

I think that Arab antisemitism is rife in the Middle East for a variety of reasons but they are hostile to Israel and Jews generally. The Mufti of Jerusalem was an ally of Adolf Hitler, there was a Bosnian SS Nazi Muslim division, the Mufti had a Final Solution to the Jews of the Middle East and books like The Protocols Of the Learned Elders Of Zion are not only best sellers in some Muslim countries but have been made into television serials and Mein Kampf have been or are best sellers in many Muslim countries. So I think the sentiment is at least there.
  • Walaa Chaya2010 2012/05/20 20:31:08
    Walaa
    I still see thats to do with the time difference and I believe that at that time there were warnings about the jews and all, but I still see that its the people that make it seem like its demanding them to hurt those who arent believers of Islam not the seera or the Quran, it warned muslims. And the war on Palestine that was by the jews was like a sign that we should "fight" the jews as in the olden days, which I find irrational.
    I happen see your perspective to this to be understandable and makes sense. Just so you know, atleast I'm not like that and thats a good sign I guess, it sounds useless I know. But from a 16 year old it should somewhat give a good sign about the comming generation I guess.
  • CAPISCE Walaa 2012/05/27 15:57:30
    CAPISCE
    +1
    The extreme muslims currently are as violent as in the past and now they have better weapons
  • Walaa CAPISCE 2013/02/28 04:15:23
    Walaa
    I don't think that's true. I think muslims have shifted to VERY opposite sides of the spectrum. I say this because I think I have better access to such info. If you consider iran one of these muslims theyr not theyr radicals. The GCC countries are all on bad terms with iran.
  • CAPISCE Walaa 2013/03/01 13:27:36
    CAPISCE
    Some truth in that
  • Walaa 2012/05/20 18:12:09
    Walaa
    +1
    Becuase its old or has alot of followers isnt the reason to why someone must respect the other persons religion. Its because its a believe that someone has obtained and has effected his character, diffrentiate between whats wrong and right, and other things. So when someone offends a religion or insult it may lead to group formations among people of diffrent believes and somewhat "gang up" on each other, thats one main reason to the conflicts between the christians and the muslims in Egypt. So to avoid the occurance of collitions and arguments respect is needed. Its like closing a business deal with someone you need to invest, you have to "be nice" or else that big fish will go off telling his other friends who also happen to be big fishes about the lousy treatment he got and you will end up with no money. (a big fish is a silly code name for billionaires not millionairs so they dont need anyone thats why theyr called big fishes)

2014/08/01 09:50:52