Texas Governor: give excess tax money back to people: Good Plan?

Fef 2013/01/30 02:48:49
Republican Governor Rick Perry of Texas wants to give back the excess taxes paid by individuals and collected by the government. Democrats want to spend the money or save it for future spending. This put the well-liked Republican at odds with the minority Democrats in the state.

"We've never bought into the notion that if you collect more, you need to spend more," Perry said in his state of the state address, which he delivered to a joint session of the Texas House and Senate.

"I'm not sure what parallel universe Governor Perry is living in," state Representative Naomi Gonzalez, an El Paso Democrat, told reporters. "We are fortunate we have a surplus, but how are we going to spend that money? Now, we heard from the governor that he doesn't want to spend that money, that we're fine, that everything's rosy."

CA.NEWS.YAHOO.COM reports:
From Yahoo! News Canada: AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Texas Governor Rick Perry on Tuesday called for returning excess tax money to taxpayers and tapping the state's rainy-day fund for water and transportation infrastructure. Perry, 62, the longest-serving governor in the nation at just over 12 years, touted the success of Texas in creating jobs and luring companies to the state. The Republican called for changing the constitution of the state, the nation's second most populous, to allow the return of tax money to the people who paid it when the state brings in more than needed. ...

Read More: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/texas-governor-excess-tax...

• JwonGalt 2013/01/30 19:27:03 (edited)
    Good Grief!
    JwonGalt
    +5
    I wold have rather an undecided here's why:

Economically speaking, bad plan, its what Bush did. And we all see how well that turned out (or rather the open-minded people can see)

Politically speaking, very good plan. He is trying to motivate them to vote Red in the coming years.

Politically sound, Economically sour. In my opinion.

But hey, if they prove me wrong and it works out then I wouldnt be mad, I'd be happy for them

• thefatguy 2013/02/01 07:40:15
    Good Plan
    thefatguy
    Yes, all tax dollars should be given back to the people.
  • wildemanne 2013/01/31 15:57:35
    Good Grief!
    wildemanne
    the only money the state has surplus is medicaid funds, ricks been with holding from the poor, indigent, & low incomes, and he has titled it "the rainy day surplus"???? this guys such a criminal idiot? he thinks the intelligent ones don't know, he didn't cut costs on anything,he didn't save money on anything, the state treasury bankrolled his failed joke at running for president, and hes a common fool, living in the fools paradise known as the lone star state! a state so full of rethuglican thieves, you cant get an honest days work from our state govt. because they're all criminals and x criminals,
    now what money??? would Texas have? other than unused medicaid funds? there's no state tax, the school taxes aren't being used where they should be, because we have the worst test scores in the nation, so i ask again what money???? he's so busy bribing businesses to relocate here, theres no money for the citizens that's not supposed to go elsewhere! fools dreams, led by bigger fools, believed by the biggest fools.
  • Idiot repubs 2013/01/31 13:07:10 (edited)
    Good Grief!
    Idiot repubs
    +1
    Well liked? Perry is an idiot.

Maybe he should pay back the stimulus money to Uncle Sam that he used to balance his budget in 2009?
  • concerned2 2013/01/30 22:43:19
    Good Plan
    concerned2
    +1
    My first thought was save it for a rainy day - but then I remembered that to the legislature it's always pouring. Give it back.
  • WinterLynn 2013/01/30 20:54:49
  • wildemanne WinterLynn 2013/01/31 15:59:05
    wildemanne
    you really are uneducated aren't you
  • WinterLynn wildemanne 2013/01/31 20:20:07 (edited)
  • wildemanne WinterLynn 2013/02/01 13:21:17
    wildemanne
    owned 3 businesses before retired, and still active in community, which by your self portrait with your hat in hand OUT? i can see you've done nothing but weigh down the economy, kinda like your thug thieving buddy, in the pic below you! WISE UP AND PLEASE LEAVE TEXAS! WE DON'T WANT YOUR KIND OF WHINING IN OUR STATE, AND TAKE THAT OTHER TRASH IN THE PIC BELOW YOURS WITH YOU PLESAE
  • WinterLynn wildemanne 2013/02/01 15:36:56
  • lucky 2013/01/30 20:07:33
    Good Plan
    lucky
    Considering Texas's economic state at the moment I dont see why not. I dont think it should be permanent though, Texas may be doing well now but you never know what the future holds and the hassle of changing it back would cause a huge uproar.
  • wildemanne lucky 2013/01/31 16:01:05
    wildemanne
    god help this state if it ever get a federal audit, be the brokest state in the union if not already remember morons failed lip sync run for prez? we had to pay for that citizens??? FYI
  • lucky wildemanne 2013/01/31 16:11:52
    lucky
    Interesting but thats a very wide open statement... exactly what do you believe a federal audit would show?
  • WinterLynn wildemanne 2013/01/31 20:31:14 (edited)
  • JwonGalt 2013/01/30 19:27:03 (edited)
    Good Grief!
    JwonGalt
    +5

• Michael 2013/01/30 18:43:28
    Good Plan
    Michael
    Good idea, but it won't happen. Governments never have enough.
  • Tea in the Harbor 2013/01/30 18:38:32
    Good Grief!
    Tea in the Harbor
    +4
    That's what George Bush jr did, it had the effect of turning balanced budgets into massive deficits.

When 911 happened, we didn't have the money to deal with the problem, we would have if his tax cuts had not been enacted. We wouldn't have had the money to deal with the total economic collapse his other policies lead to, but we could have paid for the wars, even the unessasary and illegal one.
  • wildemanne Tea in ... 2013/01/31 16:02:36
    wildemanne
    +1
    smart you are my friend very well spoken
  • sbtbill 2013/01/30 18:17:24
    Good Grief!
    sbtbill
    +2
    Texas is a special case, because of oil. However, it isn't immune to downturns. Since like most states it is required to balance it's budget there should be a rainy day fund. Likewise Texas laws are to tight in regard to helping people so it probably should spend a bit more.
  • Old Timer 2013/01/30 17:57:26 (edited)
    Good Plan
    Old Timer
    +1
    Sound like a plan to me, unless they were going to use the surpluss for BORDER SECURITY. El Paso would be a good place to start, EH?
  • Cthulhu 2013/01/30 17:41:52 (edited)
    Good Grief!
    Cthulhu
    +3
    Tax breaks always sound good to people on some surface level. They are also an often used ploy to garner votes.

It depends on what they would do with the money otherwise. They could save it for a rainy day or invest it somehow.

Last summer there was major drought. Could they invest in better irrigation, water storage, or ocean water desalination along side other states that need more water? Should we be keeping grain reserves? Sure.

It is an intellectual feat to make an argument for investing in the future and an act of faith to expect people to listen. Not every politician has those qualities.

Many budgets are smoke and mirrors. Any reported surplus now could not so mysteriously dry up in the next cycle.

Funny how in this day and age we have all these people who feel they should be circling the wagons and forming their own frontier outposts. Society has lost cohesion.
  • wildemanne Cthulhu 2013/01/31 16:07:50
    wildemanne
    +1
    a state or country runs on taxes collected, prove me wrong , all the cuts rethuglicans enacted in the last decade wheres that put our economy? don't say o spent it ,he's been trying to get the repubs to reverse this back slide were in caused by the last monkey f##k3r that was prez. and realized he's going to have to sidestep them completely{congress & conservatives} if we want our country back
  • Cthulhu wildemanne 2013/01/31 16:24:13 (edited)
    Cthulhu
    Does this relate to anything I said?

Maybe I rambled a bit. People tend to see what they want to.

I think you mistook me for a Republican.
  • boneman1 2013/01/30 17:19:57
    Good Plan
    boneman1
    +2
    What a novel concept. Giving people back some of their money when the government has over-taxed them seems like a great idea to me.
  • Dickens 2013/01/30 17:07:39
    Good Plan
    Dickens
    +1
    ...well-liked republican??...isn't this the scumbag with the hunting camp called "Nig*erland"?? AHA!! that sort of bigotry explains why he's so well-liked by republicans...
  • Embalmer 2013/01/30 16:45:03
    Good Grief!
    Embalmer
    +1
    At some point in the future you're going to need that money. This is not fiscal responsibility and it's not healthy for the state to do, damned socialists.

It's not your money anymore, you and I have willfully given the government our money and now it's in their account, to give some of it back is socialism.

Iowa Governor Terry Branstad recently proposed this too. Both he and Perry are right wing longevity governors who love their borshch.
  • boneman1 Embalmer 2013/01/30 17:23:42
    boneman1
    +1
    Explain how it's not fiscally responsible for a government with a surplus to give back money to the citizens that were over-taxed. The money will end up being put back into the state's economy which will make it even stronger.
  • Angelatxpatriot 2013/01/30 15:53:28
    Good Plan
    Angelatxpatriot
    +2
    Here's a thought, ask the taxpayers. I bet you'll find plenty of them would like to see some of their money back. You know to pay bills, put food on the table. It would be nice for some of us to have some extra money to save for future spending. Gonzalez apparently thinks if you borrow friend, there is no need to give back what you don't need or for that matter to even pay it back. Apparently she thinks it's hers to do what she wants with it. Rep Naomi Gonzalez is one of the many politicians that need to be booted from her cushy little job.
  • Bronar 2013/01/30 15:45:16
    Good Plan
    Bronar
    +3
    If the state has no debt it is their money! Give it back to them!
  • JP 2013/01/30 15:35:17
    Good Plan
    JP
    +2
    Give it back to those that earn it.
  • JohnT 2013/01/30 15:26:50
    Good Grief!
    JohnT
    +2
    I think it depends on the needs of the state. It is a great idea if the Governor is trying to get re-elected but what about the condition of the state? Education, infrastructure, various state mandated programs, or having a reserve in the event of critical events, floods, tornado's etc?
  • Angelat... JohnT 2013/01/30 15:55:45
    Angelatxpatriot
    +2
    Ask the taxpayers, most will tell you they'd like some of their money back.
  • JohnT Angelat... 2013/01/30 17:13:10
    JohnT
    That is always a good thought but they will more than likely take it back next year.
  • timberwolf JohnT 2013/01/30 16:44:51
    timberwolf
    You sound like O'commie...
  • JohnT timberwolf 2013/01/30 17:12:33
    JohnT
    It was just a comment to examine approaches to take, I am an Independent so why the mean spirited comment? Just checked your profile another person that cannot communicate or as we call them in my area a 5150.
  • timberwolf JohnT 2013/02/03 21:31:09 (edited)
    timberwolf
    Call it as you like it's Still America and you have your 1st Amendment right... I think the good folks of Texas can use the money far better that politician's... Mean spirted, sorry your thin skinned, your rethoric sounds just like him... why's that...

Go SF...
  • Georgia50 2013/01/30 15:17:31 (edited)
    Good Plan
    Georgia50
    +2
    Although rainy-day bonds are also smart for those hurricanes and unexpected infrastructure repairs. But sure...refunds should be on the table.

Of course Texas has no individual income tax. so I am assuming we're NOT talking about refunds of tax surplus to individual Texas citizens.

The bigger issue here, and I hope everyone gets it--is this: how can a state with no individual income tax generate a budget surplus?
  • Moneyman Georgia50 2013/01/30 20:18:06
    Moneyman
    +1
    Your question is one that more people should be asking their own state representatives. Unfortunately, it is lost on many.

Texas also limits its regular legislative sessions to be held biannually, thus we help to limit how much damage elected representatives can do. :-)
  • Rebel Yell 2013/01/30 15:12:57
    Good Grief!
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    Ricky says a lot of things and usually connects his statement to prayer and divine intervention. That hasn't worked so well. When he had his big prayer fest and prayed for rain, we got one of the worst droughts in the history of that state.

Since 600 school districts are suing the state, he may need to hold on to that money. Also, since he closed PP and inexpensive contraception is no longer available, it is predicted that there will be 24,000 new lower income births by 2015, all needing WIC. He will need at least a billion there, too.
  • Contard... Rebel Yell 2013/01/30 15:23:16
  • Angelat... Rebel Yell 2013/01/30 15:57:56
    Angelatxpatriot
    +2
    and unfortunately the taxpayers will be paying for the stupidity of those that can't afford pregnancy, or to those that don't know how to close their legs. this shouldn't be an issue. ask the taxpayers, it's their money. if they want some of THEIR excess money back, then it should be given back.

2014/10/23 06:13:41