Teacher banned for working as stripper

gonesimera 2011/08/31 15:35:52
A secondary school teacher who led a double life as a stripper and adult movie star has been suspended from teaching for two years.

Benedict Garrett, 31, working under the alias of “Johnny Anglais”, moonlighted as a stripper while teaching sex education at Beal High School in Ilford, Essex – as part of his role as head of Personal, Social, Health and Economic education.

Mr Garrett was barred from working as a teacher by the General Teaching Council Panel in Birmingham this afternoon, after his identity was found by students shortly before he was sacked by the school in July 2010. The former schoolteacher also admitted to working as an adult movie star before starting at Beal High in January 2008.

Speaking exclusively to Yahoo! News, Mr Garrett said: “My reason for going along today was not to argue the facts but simply to represent a point of view that doesn’t agree with everybody in society who believes that porn and stripping has a negative effect on society.

“There are many other things that teachers do indulge in, which are public knowledge, that are far worse [than sexual entertainment] and if you are calling yourself a role model you should not be doing,” he added. “Obviously I disagree with the decision but under the circumstances I think it is a fair ruling, if they had let me off it would have opened a can of worms for the teaching profession.

“I have no plans to return [to teaching], it is nice to have the option now but it is unlikely that anyone would employ me.”

It is was also alleged that Mr Garrett had text message, email and Facebook communications with the school’s Year 10 students that was inappropriate as it fell “outside the boundaries of the professional teacher/student relationship”, the committee was told. Representing himself, Mr Garrett maintained that teachers should be able to keep their professional and personal lives separate.

“They may go out and get drunk off their faces,” he told the hearing yesterday. “They are human and if they are doing it and it is legal that is their choice.

“It is not going anywhere,” he added. “Pornography is here to stay, the Internet is here to stay, social networking is here to stay. Being told that it’s wrong, that it’s immoral is not an appropriate response.”

Mr Garrett said he plans to continue stripping and working in pornography after today’s ruling.

Read More: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/teacher-banned-for-workin...

• Chaya2010 2011/08/31 15:38:33
    Chaya2010
    +3
    I've read about this and I don't think it should be an issue as long as it doesn't affect his ability to teach. I wouldn't object even if he were a porn star I would only really object if his part-time career was brought into the classroom.

• Alley 2011/09/05 06:27:22
    Alley
    +1
    This whole situation just seems a bit strange to me. Can't believe this actually happened. It would be interesting to see a film based on this.
  • chaoskitty123 2011/09/01 07:33:45
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    How would you feel about the local grand dragon of the KKK teaching your children in school? The teachers a stripper... what if they were an active member or even a leader of a local KKK group but there was no evidence it affected their teaching?

At one time, we looked away when we heard that teachers were having sex with students because we didn't want to hear it. Thus, there is reason to be concerned when we hear these issues about teachers.

In this case, is anyone considering that teachers stay after school with students and many even invite students to their houses after school for innocent tutoring... then you find out the teacher strips and does porn after hours... would it make a difference to you then?

I can go down a very long list of things that teachers could be doing in their off hours that has absolutely nothing to do with their ability as a teacher and guarantee that everyone supporting this guy would find several things they would definately not support a teacher doing but not provide one reason to justify removing them as a teacher because what they do has no impact on their ability to teach.

The truth is that on issues like these we do tend to allow our political bias and one sided ideological views to blind us to simple facts.

It's like the story present...

It's like the story presented on SH, that is corroborated almost everywhere in this country, that American Muslims do not feel like they are victims of discrimination... many even express that they share our concerns about Muslim fanaticism because they understand it even better than we do because they actually live in fear of it more than anyone else. How is it that American Liberals are trying to paint Muslims as this huge group of victims when Muslims themselves say they aren't? When you examine how Liberals address the matter, you'll notice in almost 99% of the cases, they aren't even addressing Muslims directly... they are attacking the political right meaning it's not concern for Muslims, but self serving political gain.

In any profession where trust and respect are involved, we will hold people to a higher standard.

A politician buys the services of a prostitute off hours... why does that bother anyone? Now imagine a politician who is a stripper and does porn... how would you feel about that? Same situation, different profession.

I realize this story is out of the UK and that the Brits view things differently than we do in the US, but in reviewing a few stories about this... it seems their views are little different than ours.

All it takes is changing the situation and suddenly, people who support this guy were saying they did not support someone else being a teacher when their after hour activities had nothing to do or no impact on how they did their job as teachers.

And that my friends is hypocrisy.

Anyone who wishes to be a teacher should know that the job does require a certain standard of personal behavior and if they feel they must take on a new profession which diminishes these standards, or tosses them out altogether, should make a choice of which profession they prefer.

The issue is not about pornography on the internet or stripping. The issue is did he know his personal behavior was not acceptable behavior in regard to his chosen profession. From his given response and the fact he states he will not go back to teaching because no one would hire him, it is clear he knew his off duty profession was unacceptable and as such... he alone must bear responsibility.

I do not view what he does as a stripper and porn star as wrong. It is his life and his choice. He is correct that the internet and porn are here to stay... that has nothing to do with what he did as most parents try to block as much of the porn from their childs lives as they can. Learning that their childs teacher was both a stripper and did porn had to be a shock.
  • gonesimera chaoski... 2011/09/01 11:18:09
    gonesimera
    When you say KKK Group, is that the Ku Klux Klan?

I liked your comment, very well thought out and presented.

I have noticed on a few threads that we Brits do view some things a little differently, but too much different.

Thanks for your reply.
  • Sandy 2011/08/31 19:38:54
    Sandy
    +1
    I wonder if he started into this porn employment as a way to get through college in order to teach... kind of ironic...
  • Aly Hart 2011/08/31 18:02:30
    Aly Hart
    +1
    I really don't think it's a big deal as long as he kept it out of the classroom, which he did. It's kind of awkward and awesome at the same time (to me).
  • Sew 2011/08/31 16:48:24
    Sew
    +1
    Very mature and reasonable. I like his response.
  • Cochise 2011/08/31 15:52:06
    Cochise
    +2
    Even though we think it may NOT be morally correct to strip, why do we feel we have a right to deprieve someone from living their own lives. We spend too much of our time, trying to figure out things that don't concern us, and how a person decides to live their life is NONE of our business. I stand by that statement.
  • gonesimera Cochise 2011/08/31 15:53:41
    gonesimera
    and a good statement it is too !
  • RageFury 2011/08/31 15:42:31
    RageFury
    +1
    I have always felt private life, as long as it is legal, should be irrelevant to public life... This is BS.
  • Chaya2010 2011/08/31 15:38:33
    Chaya2010
    +3
  • gonesimera Chaya2010 2011/08/31 15:49:50
    gonesimera
    +1
    it does say that one of the students found out what he was doing, so maybe they are thinking about the scandal.
  • Cochise gonesimera 2011/08/31 15:53:17
    Cochise
    +1
    It seems to me, like the student is the one who was out of place......................
  • gonesimera Cochise 2011/08/31 15:59:01
    gonesimera
    why?
  • Chaya2010 gonesimera 2011/08/31 16:00:50
    Chaya2010
    +2
    Yes I read about this in the Daily Mail too. They child if year 10 is 15 what are they doing looking a pornography. I know children will be children and the argument could be that due to what he does and what children do they will inevitably find out about his work thus infringing/affecting the quality of his teaching.
  • gonesimera Chaya2010 2011/08/31 16:02:30
    gonesimera
    +1
    That is the risk he had taken I think, he earns more money doing what he does, than teaching anyway, I think that is how he is viewing it.
  • Chaya2010 gonesimera 2011/08/31 16:04:07
    Chaya2010
    +1
    You are probably right.

2014/12/22 07:47:32