Teacher Addresses Student's Cleavage in Class: Acceptable or Awkward?

A teacher at Eustis Middle School in Florida resigned this week after the school launched an investigation into how she handled a student's "boobage" -- that is to say, how she apparently handled a student's excessive cleavage. According to the Orlando Sentinel, 53-year-old Joan Bannister pointed out a student's cleavage in class on January 30 and proceeded to measure it, eliciting a complaint from the student.

Bannister admitted to addressing the issue in the middle of class and measuring the "boobage," but denied using that word and claims she never touched the student. The district recommended a five-day unpaid suspension, but Bannister requested a hearing. On further consideration, she resigned prior to the hearing, which was scheduled for April 2. Do you think the teacher did anything wrong, or were her actions over said "cleavage" acceptable?

• GeorgeAMartini 2012/03/30 20:27:23
    Awkward
    GeorgeAMartini
    +24
    WTH? If the attire was inappropriate you send her to the principals office. You don't whip out a measuring tape! WTH???

• Krista Greene 2014/03/17 02:57:13
    Awkward
    Krista Greene
    Why the hell would you pull out some measuring tape and measure a girls cleavage in the middle of class??? I mean seriously! WTH???
  • melissa 2012/12/20 15:17:22
    Awkward
    melissa
    To me if a teacher point out a student cleavage in class, therefore that teacher had his or her eyes only on that particular student.
  • Cathy 2012/09/24 16:58:13
    Awkward
    Cathy
    What do you do when a teacher calls all female students in his class a whore or slut even when they do not dress inappropritely?
  • DesiBoo 2012/08/18 16:19:32
    Awkward
    DesiBoo
    I wish a teacher would touch me and y eould mesure her boobs like forreal since wen wasbthis aloud
  • cassandra 2012/07/26 20:40:58
    Awkward
    cassandra
    since when do the teachers have a say in what we wear?
    in my school there are no dress codes but one ass*** of a teacher still insists.
    OMG WHO THE F*** CARES!!!!!
  • Family Amber & Larry Brown 2012/06/06 03:24:07
    Awkward
    Family Amber & Larry Brown
    She/He souls not be looking there anyway it's private!!!!!
  • Mike J. Hirak 2012/05/15 21:34:51
    Awkward
    Mike J. Hirak
    Unacceptable.
  • Joe Green 2012/05/01 13:00:45
    Awkward
    Joe Green
    If the teacher felt the child's dress was unacceptable, she should have sent the child to the Principal's Office and let the principal make the call in private.
  • Brosia 2012/04/29 22:46:50
    Awkward
    Brosia
    I think it depends on the age of the student. I work around teenagers and their fashions are so...questionable, I could understand the teachers objection. I once watched a girl that was wearing a tee-shirt, and as far as I could tell nothing else. This was in the afternoon, so she went to school in basically nothing and no teacher said anything.
  • KatherineKnight250 2012/04/28 09:42:06
    Awkward
    KatherineKnight250
    Seriously? she measured her cleavage? What is this, the 1950's? I bet they are going to make us dress like nuns.
  • lisamoran1998 2012/04/23 07:50:41
    Awkward
    lisamoran1998
    it's inappropriate for a teacher to say anything like that about a person's body
  • meme14 2012/04/21 15:47:39
    Awkward
    meme14
    If she actually addressed the subject the way the student says then it was completely awkward. What was her point? There were so many alternative ways that she could have approached the student if she simply wanted her to show less cleavage in the future. If she handled it that way it looks like she was being hurtful and primarily interested in embarrassing the girl. Why wouldn't she just ask her to stay after class and ask her to please cover up in the future - that's what someone would have done if they were JUST interested in having the girl show less skin - this teacher was trying to humiliate the girl too. Completely unneccessary. She got what she deserved. Maybe the teacher has bad breath and it should be publicly addressed - instead of handled privately. It's just ignorant and she is supposed to be educated.
  • FrancheskahMae:) 2012/04/14 01:31:08
    Awkward
    FrancheskahMae:)
    You know what might be a little more awkward? Last year; in my history class, when we were walking out the door, my teacher Mr. Cherry, took the liberty to pull up my friend's bra straps. UHM...
  • DesiBoo Franche... 2012/04/25 22:04:21
    DesiBoo
    +1
    umm wtf what ur friend say cuz thats kinda strange if u asked me
  • Franche... DesiBoo 2012/04/25 22:18:44
    FrancheskahMae:)
    Well she freaked out. lol Tried to get him fired, but that obviously didn't happen, cause he's still a teacher at our school and he's still weird af.
  • Joe Green Franche... 2012/05/01 13:02:35
    Joe Green
    +1
    If I was that girl, I wouldn't have let it slide. Women can pull up their own bra straps if it needs to be done.
  • Dolly 2012/04/14 00:25:11
    Awkward
    Dolly
    I think she might have done better to have sent the student home or to the office to get a more proper shirt to wear the rest of the day and then taken it up with the school to change this from happening again.
  • LuLu Cappuccino 2012/04/13 18:11:13
    Acceptable
    LuLu Cappuccino
    In this instance, it was extremely awkward and inappropriate. Teachers should never touch another student. However, in my opinion, it should be uncomfortable to a certain extent, and also continue. Obviously it's out of dress code for young girls to wear low-cut, revealing (hootchie-mama) tops. They shouldn't be surprised when an authority decides to step in, just like they would for anything else. And honestly, teachers will get written up for anything today. A kid could scream rape and get away with a fight (it's happened at my school).

So yes, just because it's embarrassing and uncomfortable doesn't make it unnecessary. If anything, they won't to do it again.
  • IvoryPauline 2012/04/11 21:45:51
    Awkward
    IvoryPauline
    +2
    If ya got, flaunt it!
  • aaroneb63 2012/04/10 17:48:46
    Acceptable
    aaroneb63
    Unfortunately, with the rampage of immorality and lack of modesty in today's society it all trinkles down to affect children's/teen's judgment. Especially when the parents don't teach it by example.
  • Family ... aaroneb63 2012/06/06 03:31:22
    Family Amber & Larry Brown
    But she still could have did it more privately like after class and not infront of everybody in the class
  • Cheyenne 2012/04/10 03:18:26
    Awkward
    Cheyenne
    It wouldn't be right if teachers pointed it out in front of the whole class. So awkward. Instead they should take them out in private or talk to her after class
  • sami 2012/04/09 15:28:25
    Awkward
    sami
    She over-stepped ... She should have taken the 5 days like a person that made a boo-boo and been happy ... My husband still talks about when a teacher called him piggy ... He was overweight at the time ... There is way too much cleavage at school and church these days though, but if parents let their kids wear things that expose it, then we have to turn our heads the other way ... I don't know why the teacher decided to measure the girls breast but she should not have done it ...
  • Ayushee 2012/04/08 18:04:56
    Awkward
    Ayushee
    Neither of them are completely correct with their action. Class is not a place for showing cleavage,one should dress gently enough to make sure no attention is seek-ed in an odd way.And teachers are supposes to point out the mistakes of the students but does not have any right to embarrass them. It was cool that the teacher pointed out the student's cleavage but it wasn't right to measure it in front of the whole class. And we,the students too should dress gently enough so that no one has the opportunity to criticize us!
  • popgal616 2012/04/08 16:44:13
    Awkward
    popgal616
    The teacher shouldn't have gone that far. I find it is perfectly acceptable for her to embarrass the student in class. She was asking for it by wearing such a low shirt. However, measuring it was going too far. I have no opinion on her resignation.
  • Watermusicranger 2012/04/07 22:38:05
    Acceptable
    Watermusicranger
    Point out YES....Touch, or harass NO
    cleavage
  • Family ... Watermu... 2012/06/06 03:32:15
    Family Amber & Larry Brown
    But not in front of th whole class
  • Dave 007 2012/04/07 12:43:34
    Acceptable
    Dave 007
    +1
    Glad I'm a man. I don't have to dress like a slut and moron.
  • Cheyenne Dave 007 2012/04/10 03:25:29
    Cheyenne
    Dude, not all girls dress like sluts or morons, that is a huge insult not for just me, but others as well. But heck, at least I don't have to look stupid with my pants around my ankles.
  • Undefined Dave 007 2012/04/10 22:09:28
    Undefined
    I don't dress like a slut or a moron and actually the majority of girls don't dress like that society makes it seem like most girls do so they an raise awareness and try to stop it before 99% of the female population doesnt dress like this because their parents are hopefully going to be doing something about it.
  • Family ... Dave 007 2012/06/06 03:35:22
    Family Amber & Larry Brown
    That is offensive to girls if u were a girl for just a day u would feel that it's just not right for teachers to point that ou in publIc to the whole freakin class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  • DesiBoo Dave 007 2012/08/18 16:21:38
    DesiBoo
    Shutup its not teens fault its the way they were rsised so dont go calling girls sluts
  • erinmcclintock4@gmail.com 2012/04/07 06:58:33
    Awkward
    erinmcclintock4@gmail.com
    +2
    and people wonder why there have been so many student teacher sex relationships going on. if i had a son and i knew his teacher was doing that..id tell her myself i had a problem with it. dont be shy parents!
  • brittany 2012/04/06 23:07:51
    Acceptable
    brittany
    kids these days are showing wayyy too much! it's kind of gross actually. and demeaning
  • Undefined brittany 2012/04/10 22:14:28
    Undefined
    I agree but the teacher should have handled it differently.
  • Family ... brittany 2012/06/06 03:36:58
    Family Amber & Larry Brown
    Butt they should not point it out in public
  • sapphire_love_life 2012/04/06 22:20:20
    Acceptable
    sapphire_love_life
    LOL i think its acceptable an awkward. keep your "boobage" covered and we have no problem
  • Mic 2012/04/05 15:06:19
    Acceptable
    Mic
    If the student wasn't embarrassed to show off her clevage, why on earth should the teacher not have tried to embarrass her. This is totally stupid. Like when a girl screams when you see them in their underwear but then puts on a thong to go to the beach.
  • Kayla R... Mic 2012/04/07 20:38:13
    Kayla Rogers
    +1
    That's different.When you see a girl in her underwear she wasn't expecting it, meaning she's freaked out or scared, when she goes to the beach in a thong she knows that there's a chance someone is going to see her but its her body and she's will to make the decision.With this situation, she a girl therefore has no control how her bodies grow.All she knows is based on what the generation before her has been showing her, that she has to fit a certain profile.Sure she shouldn't have been wearing it but if her parents were parenting her right she wouldn't have made it out side with it on.When something like this happens it should be dealt with the right way.By discreetly telling her to pull her shirt up and talking about it after class and possible having a meeting with her parents.While the student should take some of the blame her parents should have taught her better.The way the teacher dealt with it was completely wrong.Now she's embarrassed a child that was only trying to fit it, now this child's going to laugh it off and when she does something worse to won't listen to a teacher because it will seem like the're trying to hurt her in stead of help her.Once again everyone in the situation was in the wrong but it can't be shoveled on to the girl, because at the end of the show ...
    That's different.When you see a girl in her underwear she wasn't expecting it, meaning she's freaked out or scared, when she goes to the beach in a thong she knows that there's a chance someone is going to see her but its her body and she's will to make the decision.With this situation, she a girl therefore has no control how her bodies grow.All she knows is based on what the generation before her has been showing her, that she has to fit a certain profile.Sure she shouldn't have been wearing it but if her parents were parenting her right she wouldn't have made it out side with it on.When something like this happens it should be dealt with the right way.By discreetly telling her to pull her shirt up and talking about it after class and possible having a meeting with her parents.While the student should take some of the blame her parents should have taught her better.The way the teacher dealt with it was completely wrong.Now she's embarrassed a child that was only trying to fit it, now this child's going to laugh it off and when she does something worse to won't listen to a teacher because it will seem like the're trying to hurt her in stead of help her.Once again everyone in the situation was in the wrong but it can't be shoveled on to the girl, because at the end of the show its always going to be her body she always going to be able to make the choice but she apart of the growing generation and we need to make she we take care of them right or maybe, just maybe they'll be worse than us. use this as an example
  • BonBonBonBonTomTomTommo 2012/04/05 11:38:23
    Awkward
    BonBonBonBonTomTomTommo
    +3
    Weird .. especially if it was at the beginning of the lesson

2014/09/18 11:23:36