Tea Bag Parties Dribbling Out?

Not Einstein 2009/04/15 19:16:44
I got teabagged and there were many others being teabagged too.
Fox News fizzles.
Fox News has hyped these protest tea bag parties for weeks, but it looks as though so far, they are lacking in participants. It is estimated that 30,000 people nationwide have shown up. When all is said and done an estimate on the high side of 100,000 participants will have participated.

Here are some interesting comments I found regarding a post by The Atlantic, entitled In Defense of the Tax-Day Tea Parties, found at http://politics.theatlantic.com/2009/04/in_defense_of_the_tax...

ottovbvs April 15, 2009 1:01 PM

No but there's plenty of evidence they are being organized and bankrolled by various below the line consertive front groups. And promoted by Fox News of course. The attendees will be all sorts of antis. Anti gays, anti democrats, anti taxers, anti abortion you name it. The anti tax argument is perhaps the most laughable since as Bruce Bartlett points out in this week's edition of Forbes, the 2009 tax take is, at around 15.5% of GDP, the lowest since 1950!

Darius April 15, 2009 1:03 PM

"Their origins -- organic, programmatic, accidental or otherwise -- don't matter much anymore. If -- and we'll have to see the numbers at the end of the day -- 100,000 Americans show up to protest their taxes, the onus to dismiss them as a nascent political force shifts to the Democrats."

Except that there's no coherent ideology behind this so-called "political force". Some are against higher taxes. (Even though many of these people are seeing their tax burden reduced under Obama.) Some are against the bailout. (So should we have just let major financial institutions collapse, instead?) Some are against the stimulus. (So we shouldn't provide aid to those hit hard by the recession?) Some are against spending in general. (So what, specifically, would they have the government cut?)

It's all complaining, no solutions. It is, as your colleague Andrew Sullivan said, a tantrum.

(And the origins do matter, insofar as we can use them to determine whether this is based on actual principle or petty partisanship. I'm seeing a lot of the latter thus far, and not very much of the former.)

ottovbvs April 15, 2009 1:27 PM

Marc: I just did a quick surf of a couple liberal blogs and based on turnouts in places like Washington and Boston, I'd say you're going to be lucky to get to 30,000 across the country. Contrast that with turnouts for the anti war demos or the immigration reform rallies. These were a dumb idea without any focus, they chose an utterly ridiculous symbol in the teabag, and they were rapidly infiltrated by Republican outrider groups and Fox. As some lib poster said of the teabag crowd in Boston....there are more Yankees fans in Boston.

24AheadDotCom April 15, 2009 1:38 PM

If 100,000 people turn out for all the "parties", that would represent about 0.08% of all those who voted for McCain or BHO. That's already a very, very small number, but it gets worse:
1. There's no upside because they aren't opposing BHO in a fashion that millions would support. If they could get millions, the Libertarian Party would be kingmakers by now.
2. Some of that 100,000 will be in deep blue districts, such as Napa. Seriously: Napa? Why not Berkeley? There's no reason why a Dem from a deep blue district needs to care about what a very small percentage of his possible opposition thinks.

The good thing about this is that it's going to be a Darwin moment when the useful idiots attending the "parties" realize that their leaders have absolutely no clue. Hopefully then they'll start to look for effective, intelligent ways to oppose BHO, such as this:

http://24ahead.com/s/question-authority

NCYvonne April 15, 2009 1:45 PM

Obama got 100,000 people for a late-night rally IN THE RAIN in Manassas, Virginia on November 3rd. That's 100,000 people in one spot at one time.

But we're supposed to be impressed if this "spontaneous uprising" brings in 100,000 in 300 cities across the country all day after being promoted day and night on Faux News? Ummmm. Not so much!

jb April 15, 2009 1:53 PM

You are all missing something. The grassroots level politics has always been the domain of the left. This is a new venture for the right and success today has the potential of snowballing to more in the future. Don't bury your heads and say it is nothing. It may be small now but these things have a tendency to grow.

As to what they are trying to say...I think the overwhelming message is that there is concern about government spending. As a result of that issue there is a spillover protest against taxes...but form what I have seen so far, and heard...the message is one against irresponsible spending (i.e. I voted for the bill but I never read it).

freaktown (Replying to: jb) April 15, 2009 2:00 PM

As to what they are trying to say...I think the overwhelming message is that there is concern about government spending.

if that's the case, where were these protests during the 8 yrs when bush was running up a trillion dollar deficit? that's why these "protests" have no credibility. they're just nakedly partisan outbursts of amorphous anger. like a lot of things these days if you do it and you're a republican the right is ok with it, but if you do it and you're a democrat well, by god! that's fascism!!

Shaun Dakin April 15, 2009 2:38 PM

If you are interested, here is the audio for the Tea Party Robocalls that have been blanketing the country.

http://thinkdodone.typepad.com/ccd/2009/04/tea-party-robocall...

Shaun Dakin, CEO
StopPoliticalCalls.org

AhYup April 15, 2009 2:55 PM

Marc, the Republicans do actually have a bit of experience with "grass roots" protest vis a vis the anti-abortion movement. Its not that the causes the incredulity, its the hyping on FOX news. It was clearly being pushed by all the usual top of the food chain GOP propagandists. Regardless of where it come from in the first place it was them that made the whole thing smell bad.

And as of right now after all their hype the turnout has to be embarrassing. About 30,000 nation wide after all that fuss is downright pathetic.

• herb 2009/04/16 01:17:15
    Fox News fizzles.
    herb
    +8
    It was a tale told by idiots, full of sound and fury, symbolizing nothing.

Remember how the Republican juggernaut was going to decimate the elections? Or how the PUMAs were going to severely upset the balances at the last minute? Or that the investigation into Obama's place of birth would prove them right?

Have they ever hyped anything that they were right about?

• Annie 2009/04/17 15:22:04
    Annie
    +2
    All I can say is that this "Tea Party" stunt fell flat! Their attempts to make any impact at all really flopped, the NY Times listed the story on page 5, so go figure how newsworthy this was.
  • Ric O'Shea® 2009/04/16 03:31:05
  • Not Ein... Ric O'S... 2009/04/16 03:43:28
    Not Einstein
    +4
    But how do you really feel?
  • Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~ 2009/04/16 03:29:15
    Fox News fizzles.
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +5
    Of course Fox fizzled - their manufactured news hardly registers as the real deal. *shrugs and rolls eyes*
  • TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige 2009/04/16 02:52:34
    TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige
    +5
    Didn't go, didn't care.
  • Jay 2009/04/16 02:25:56
    Fox News fizzles.
    Jay
    +6
    Imagine how many would have turned out if the Democrats that support President Obama had organized something to counter this tea party! I think we'd have out numbered the tea baggers, by the 100's of thousands, just in support of our president!
  • Shay 2009/04/16 02:03:05 (edited)
  • vote mobile lady time to CYA 2009/04/16 01:38:17
    vote mobile lady time to CYA
    +7
    For all the blather going on here in Idaho ( fulll of rightie tighties) there was about 10 people and they didn't last long. blather idaho fulll rightie tighties 10 people
  • trekwell vote mo... 2009/05/03 13:37:35
    trekwell
    Your attempts at poking fun at Ron Paul are unwarranted. Your just one of those many millions who like to bash the party that is not of your choice. Obama simply throws huge amounts of money at our bank problem and everyone thinks he is great! Morons truly
  • herb 2009/04/16 01:17:15
    Fox News fizzles.
    herb
    +8

• trekwell herb 2009/05/03 13:39:04
    trekwell
    Your not an idiot for disliking our current gov.
  • duminda723 2009/04/15 22:53:35
    duminda723
    +7
    This was really to be expected. The conservative groups thought that if they can hype something up enough then they will get their very own "Iraq War" type protests. Of course they forgot about the most important part of protests...motivation to do so by people.
  • Anymouse524 2009/04/15 22:19:00
    Anymouse524
    +6
    They keep talking about tea bagging. I think Bill O' doesn't understand the real meaning of that turn of phrase. Maybe he should rent John Waters' movie "Pecker" and get an education!
    Somehow I don't think Bill O' will enjoy tea bagging as much as I will!!
  • Not Ein... Anymous... 2009/04/15 22:26:04
    Not Einstein
    +4
    I think the clown does know what it means. Have you heard the audio of him reading the sex scenes in his book? Pretty much forced me into a second virginity.
  • Anymous... Not Ein... 2009/04/15 22:32:29
    Anymouse524
    +3
    Forced the wrong person into "virginity" - shoulda been Bill O' back when he was 13 so he couldn't make any little "Bill O's"!!
  • Ali ~ I... Not Ein... 2009/04/16 03:32:47
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +1
    He has a book with sex scenes? Hahahahahaha!!!!
  • Not Ein... Ali ~ I... 2009/04/16 03:44:01
    Not Einstein
    +1
    You should google the audio, if you can keep your food down.
  • old mccain 2009/04/15 22:03:54
    Fox News fizzles.
    old mccain
    +6
    Last words in the article are perfect: "pathetic"
  • xx *still chiki in my heart* 2009/04/15 20:50:01
    Fox News fizzles.
    xx *still chiki in my heart*
    +8
    So do you think Fox News did more damage than good. In their arrogance they thought if they supported it they'd bring more people in. Maybe what's happend is that moderates and independents are staying away because they don't want to be associated with a Fox News/Hannity/Beck vehicle.
  • Not Ein... xx *sti... 2009/04/15 20:57:42
    Not Einstein
    +3
    Could very well be. I can't wait to watch Faux News to see how they report this. Youtube has many vids of various parties across the country (mainly the southern states, of course) where the "crowds" range from a handful to several hundred.
  • xx *sti... Not Ein... 2009/04/16 01:53:56
    xx *still chiki in my heart*
    +1
    I drove by mine at about 5:30 and there were about 30-40 people. I live in a conservative city of 100,000+ people where 80% are registered republican. The planner was a guy (total idiot) who once hosted this speaker:

"""A chapter of a group once described by Ronald Reagan as the “conscience of the Republican Party” has announced plans to host a speech by the author of a book that falsely claims that homosexuals largely orchestrated the Holocaust. The Murrieta-Temecula Republican Assembly, a local chapter of the conservative GOP activist group California Republican Assembly, says it will hear on April 3 from Scott Lively — a man it boastfully describes as “The Pastor Vilified by the Newspapers as a Hater Because of his stand Against the Promotion of Homosexuality.”

Lively, who runs Abiding Truth Ministries, co-authored the notorious book The Pink Swastika: Homosexuality in the Nazi Party and claims that “the Nazi Party was entirely controlled by militaristic male homosexuals throughout its short history.” The book’s crude thesis, that gay men played instrumental roles in forming the Third Reich and carrying out the Holocaust, has been thoroughly discredited by real historians. (Lively’s speech to the Murrieta-Temecula group is entitled “The Pink Swastika.”) Lively is also co-founder of the anti-gay hate group Watchmen on the Walls.

I think this may be the reason for the low attendance here.
  • Not Ein... xx *sti... 2009/04/16 03:18:23 (edited)
    Not Einstein
    Shouldn't it be called the Lavender Swastika? Another nut sack.

Edited to add: Are you in Temecula? I'm staying in Hemet with my folks for an unspecified amount of time.
  • xx *sti... Not Ein... 2009/04/16 03:22:45
    xx *still chiki in my heart*
    Yes I am. My parents live in Hemet too.
  • Blondie... xx *sti... 2009/04/17 20:38:16
  • Bob-chicka-wow-wow 2009/04/15 20:43:14
    Fox News fizzles.
    Bob-chicka-wow-wow
    +4
    awww, wrong kind of tea
  • Lizard Bob-chi... 2009/04/15 20:47:49
  • Not Ein... Lizard 2009/04/15 20:56:23
  • vote mo... Not Ein... 2009/04/16 01:39:32
    vote mobile lady time to CYA
    +1
    Oh my.
  • Ali ~ I... Not Ein... 2009/04/16 03:40:47
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +1
    Lovely....
  • Sissy 2009/04/15 20:34:17
    Sissy
    +4
    I didn't pay enough attention to it to offer any kind of response other than, "so what"? If Dick Armey, Newt Gingrich, Fox Noise, corporates want to finance and party-down with a few of their favorite friends, its certainly okay by me.
  • Yukkione "In Science We Trust" 2009/04/15 20:19:12
    Fox News fizzles.
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +5
    i saw footage from some of the gatherings...pathetic and weak. Also the one on youtube featuring the teabbag wackos. Quite interesting.
  • Not Ein... Yukkion... 2009/04/15 20:19:58
    Not Einstein
    +2
    Do you have a link?
  • Yukkion... Not Ein... 2009/04/15 20:54:01
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +3
    I saw the youtube footage on TV so no I dont know the links name.
  • Not Ein... Yukkion... 2009/04/16 03:28:08
    Not Einstein
    +2
    It's ok. I just went to youtube and found a bunch.
  • Morgan 2009/04/15 20:16:06
    Fox News fizzles.
    Morgan
    +6
    Well how many PUMAs licking their wounds and self-defeating but easily influenced mindless followers of FauxNews and Newt Gingrich could there be?
  • Sissy Morgan 2009/04/15 20:37:31 (edited)
    Sissy
    +5
    Did you catch Olbermann last night Morgan? While Fox has purported all along that they are not "promoting, suggesting, advertising, blah, blah, blah" the event, Keith showed no less than a dozen promo's for the 700 city gathering of the "fed up, angry, bitter tax payer" all across America. I am holding my nose now and going to watch Fox's reporting to see how they bring it to the masses!!
  • CJ ~ is... Sissy 2009/04/15 23:25:54
    CJ ~ is Leaving SodaHead!
    +4
    Hi Sissy, DId you happen to catch any of this Faux News reporter? What an objective, not-at-all-supportive journalist! (RIGHT!!!!)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
  • Sissy CJ ~ is... 2009/04/15 23:44:54
    Sissy
    +3
    Thanks CJ. That's what I love, un-biased, subjective, non-partisan reporting from Fox....and they wonder why we call it "Faux Noise". Go figure.

Thanks for the link. I read the other articles on there too. All very informative, well most of them anyway.
  • CJ ~ is... Sissy 2009/04/16 01:40:09
    CJ ~ is Leaving SodaHead!
    +3
    Yes, Faux Noise, always unbalanced and bizarre! If you think they're off the edge, take a gander at World Nuts Daily or Free Republic--now that's some truly delusional stuff!
  • Morgan CJ ~ is... 2009/04/16 00:16:57
    Morgan
    +3
    Too bad the poor fellow has not burdened his brain with knowledge of the meaning of the word "fascist"!

2014/04/17 17:56:53