Taxed to death

Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2012/06/15 18:15:39
I pay enough taxes!
I don't pay taxes, and you need to pay more!
I'm a senile old fool who wants to pay more in taxes!

George Harrison was inspired to write the song “Taxman” (Revolver album, 1966). The Beatles were making a ton of money, but because of Britain’s “progressive” income tax, most of their earnings were being taken in taxes. As Harrison said, “‘Taxman’ was when I first realised that even though we had started earning money, we were actually giving most of it away in taxes.”

Harrison’s “Taxman” became a widely disseminated commentary on the confiscatory nature of governments. You can read the lyrics here. Here’s a video version showing Harrison with Eric Clapton singing it.

In the spirit of Harrison’s song, I’m posting the following from an anonymous author. Enjoy it and remember in November.

Tax his land, tax his bed,
Tax the table at which he’s fed.
Tax his tractor, tax his mule,
Teach him taxes are the rule.

Tax his cow, tax his goat,
Tax his pants, tax his coat.
Tax his ties, tax his shirt,
Tax his work, tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco, tax his drink.
Tax him if he tries to think.
Tax his cigars, tax his beers,
If he cries, then tax his tears.

Tax his car, tax his gas,
Find other ways to tax his ass.
Tax all he has, then let him know
That you won’t be done ’til he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers,
Tax him some more.
Tax him ’till he’s good and sore.
Then tax his coffin, tax his grave.
Tax the sod in which he’s laid.

Put these words upon his tomb,
“Taxes drove me to my doom.”
When he’s gone, do not relax.
It’s time to apply the inheritance tax.

Read More: http://godfatherpolitics.com/5684/tax-his-land-tax...

+1
    You do realize that George Harrison was describing taxes in Britain and at the time he wrote the song the top tax rate was over 100%.

If your are willing to live without money, in a barter economy, you can reduce your taxes dramatically. If, however, we wish to use the currency provided by the government, we must be willing to pay the usage fee. So while it is easy to complain about taxes, everyone knows there is an appropriate rate for the services we receive. The question becomes what it that appropriate rate. I must concur with Harrison that rates approaching or in excess of 100% are not appropriate.
  • Philo® ... Ken 2012/06/18 13:24:05
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    Yes, yes I do... still valid.
  • Ken Philo® ... 2012/06/18 14:55:56
    In your opinion, what is a fair tax rate?

George Harrison expects to be paid every time somebody performs using one of his songs; isn't it reasonable for the government to expect to be paid every time somebody uses money provided by the government? It is a similar intellectual asset.

In addition to providing money, the government provides auditoriums where George Harrison delivers his concerts and where others perform George's songs; provides bridges, roads, and airports that George and his audience use to get to the concert; polices public space so the audience can safely get to/from the concert and feel safe while at the concert (after all incidents like Altamont w/ private security would dramatically reduce the audience); organizes and regulates radio frequencies so George can broadcast his music and reach a wide audience; .... the list continues but the fact is the government provides extensive products, services, and standards that each of us take for granted. .... and while live would be less rewarding if we did not have George Harrison's music, life would nearly impossible without government.
  • Philo® ... Ken 2012/06/18 17:40:32
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    7% flat - EVERYBODY pays the same.

A. "The Government" does not have any money to provide - only what it confiscates from the 47% of the population who are productive.
    B. I can choose NOT TO pay Mr. Harrison simply by NOT buying or playing his songs.
    C. If you want to suck at the government's teat, call it that, don't ask me to believe that you're "the government's" consumer - you're their dependent.
  • Ken Philo® ... 2012/06/18 18:39:50
    I have no idea where you got 7%....nor do I know the basis against which the 7% is calculated, e.g., it could be income, it could be purchases, it could be value added, or it could be the total money supply which is a surrogate for wealth.

A. It is my understanding the the US Government created the dollar. If the government hadn't created the dollar, nobody would have any money.
    B. You can chose not to pay the Government simply by refusing its services. Making all of your exchanges using barter instead of money. If you are willing to use only cash, you can also avoid taxes. There is a thriving underground economy which does just that. It deals in the drugs, numbers, prostitution, etc. There is a large semi-underground economy who work directly for other people and do a large number of cash transactions. These folks report some income but do a large number of transactions using less traceable services like Western Union money orders.
    C. How does one even respond to such a statement. You want to use the dollar but not pay royalties; you want to use the highways but not pay tolls; you want to listen to the radio but not pay for the standards that make it possible...you are not independent you are a thief.
  • Philo® ... Ken 2012/06/18 18:44:17
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    Sorry, tired of trying to teach econ 101 to someone not wanting to learn. Bu-bye.
  • Angi 2012/06/16 00:13:10 (edited)
    Angi
    Everyone pays tax if you are working or not you cannot go out side your door without paying tax, you can't turn on your lights or your tap without paying tax. But what I don't get is how a company as big as Vodafone and others have companies in a country all their employees pay tax and yet they don't it seems the richer you are the less tax you pay. How is this tax system working again.
  • Philo® ... Angi 2012/06/18 13:24:23
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    And you're OK with that?!?
  • Angi Philo® ... 2012/06/19 18:25:34
    Angi
    My point was that the tax system isn't working. And in answer to your comment, no!
  • Professor Wizard 2012/06/15 21:25:01
    I pay enough taxes!
    Professor Wizard
    +2
    Actually.. I pay too much in tax's for what I get! (but that was not an option)

Like Ashdragon :: I give 1/3 to my uncle, and I required no help beyond my own blood, sweet and tears, to get through school. If I can do it.. ANYBODY can!

If you truly want it -- you will find a way to get it! Simple as that.

I erks me to no end to watch what our governemt is spending "My" money on!

I thought we left England Rule to get away from unfair high tax's... it looks like we didn't learn a damn thing!
  • ashdragon88 2012/06/15 18:57:24
    I pay enough taxes!
    ashdragon88
    +2
    1/3rd of my income went to taxes last year ... AND i owed on tax returns to both state and federal. I hope someone is living well off that money ...
  • Philo® ... ashdrag... 2012/06/15 18:58:48
  • ashdrag... Philo® ... 2012/06/15 19:07:37
    ashdragon88
    +1
    Sad but true. I'm far too young to be this cynical about such things but at 24 years old I get angrier and angrier everytime I look at my check stubs. Why? I moved out of my parents house at 19 and into a house with 4 other people my age. I worked 40-50 hours a week while taking 12-16 credit hours worth of college classes that I paid cash for. Despite the fact that there were times we had to return bottles and cans just to put food in the house I never once applied for government assitance. I learned to budget my money, to manage my time, and get creative when I was running low on cash (like picking up pop-bottles or scrapping the metal I found dumpster diving). I never borrowed money from friends or relatives, it was a matter of pride for me.

Then you to watch people walk in to a store with their food staps as they gaggle their 8 kids out of the back of their brand new Cadillac while I'm still driving the same car I had in high school because I simply can't afford a new one (or a new used one for that matter) infurrates me. I have a college educated that i shed blood, sweat and tears for and what did it get me? Just high enough on the tax bracket to have to pay for other people to live. Its assinine.
  • Philo® ... ashdrag... 2012/06/15 19:40:14
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    Good on ya, sheila!
  • Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2012/06/15 18:18:38
    I pay enough taxes!
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩

2014/12/19 22:48:48