Talk about crazy!!!! Texas State Trooper blows through red light, strikes bicyclist.

rhstarr 2012/05/22 21:17:25
I was watching the news last night, I saw this and thought WTF!!! The State Trooper ran the light. They are saying that he may not get any kind of ticket for 2 years. If he was not a State Trooper I believe that he would have gotten a ticket right away and may be charged with some kind of felony.

EL PASO, Texas —

Karina Alazcano said she was sitting at a red light on Joe Battle Boulevard Pellicano Drive when she saw a Texas State Trooper run a red light and strike a bicyclist. It happened Saturday just after 10 a.m.

"I just saw him zoom by and he just ran the red light," Alazcano said. "It had clearly been red for a while, because we were stopped and there were a couple of other cars who were also stopped as well."

DPS confirmed that the trooper did run a red light and that he was not responding to a call. The trooper was driving a K-9 SUV.

The cyclist is 55-year-old Frank Elroy Vigil. Alazcano said Vigil had a green light.

Vigil's family called KFOX14 News and said that he has a concussion and a broken pelvic bone.

Alazcano said she saw Vigil before he was hit.

"When I saw him (Vigil) out of the corner of my eye, he was proceeding with caution before he was actually going to continue to go on," Alazcano said.

She said watching the accident was scary.

"He flew up into the air," Alazcano said. "He landed on the pavement and his bicycle shattered into pieces."

Alazcano said the other troopers who arrived on the scene did not want to take her statement.

"They were just trying to get us out of the way because they didn't want to get our side of the story," Alazcano said. "They wanted to cover it up or help their own state trooper."

DPS said the troopers were probably trying to assist the cyclist before taking statements.

Alazcano also reported what she saw to the El Paso Police Department.

Leave a comment and start the discussion!

2014/07/29 18:59:41