Sweden's Twitter Experiment: Good Idea or Recipe for Disaster?

For the last nine months, Sweden's official Twitter account (@Sweden) has been handed over to a new citizen each week as part of a social media experiment. But this week the experiment took a turn for the worse when 27-year-old Sonja Abrahamsson took the reigns and began tweeting about Jewish people, circumcision, nazis, and the holocaust. Yeah...

Abrahamsson wrote, "I just don't get why some people hates jews so much. Where I come from there is no jews. I guess its a religion. But why were the nazis talking about races? ... Once I asked a co-worker what a jew is. He was 'part jew,' whatever that means ... Whats the fuzz with jews. You can’t even see if a person is a jew, unless you see their penises, and even if you do, you can’t be sure!?" Needless to say, there was some outrage. But does this reflect poorly on Sweden's experiment, or does it still have value?

• McGill 2012/06/13 14:35:38
    Good idea
    McGill
    +13
    On a whole i think it was an interesting idea but their are always that one person who will ruin it for them all.

• dvd 2012/06/17 05:10:53
  • gembaser 2012/06/17 03:38:36
    Recipe for disaster
    gembaser
    "official Twitter" - an oxymoron.
  • Magical Mushroom 2012/06/17 02:40:26
    Recipe for disaster
    Magical Mushroom
    This girl is not a bight bulb at all. If there going to do this don't give it to everyone make sure they have a brain.
    dumb
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/06/17 00:24:42
    Good idea
    Christopher Kirchen
    Every group of people has one or two bad apples. You can't help it.
  • grantdisher 2012/06/16 23:30:56
  • Tyrocker 2012/06/16 23:26:40
    Good idea
    Tyrocker
    +2
    How in the world is this prejudice??? How is she being negative towards Jews???? She is saying that she can't see why people hate Jews and you can't tell who is Jewish. I'm confused as to how this is so bad.
  • uninfor... Tyrocker 2012/06/18 06:48:19
    uninformedluddite
    Because if they question is asked and examined closely the answers found reflect badly on a specific minority. The best answer to this question is to start slinging mud at the questioner as the general public are too stupid to realise they are having smoke blown up their arses
  • Ozymandias 2012/06/16 18:52:41
  • Beto 2012/06/16 18:45:04
    Recipe for disaster
    Beto
    +1
    It seems the average 27-year-old? Swede, is about as clueless as the average 27-year-old? American. Like a box of chocolates.
    Be careful not to allow just anyone, to represent everyone. Look what we got last go around.
  • sm237 2012/06/16 18:43:13
    Good idea
    sm237
    Good Idea...
  • Shark 2012/06/16 17:40:15
    Good idea
    Shark
    +1
    She may be naive, but the co-worker that showed outrage is typical and he is the Recipe for disaster.
  • Elz 2012/06/16 15:50:59
    Good idea
    Elz
    no. i dont think what she said has made Sweden look bad.
  • Donald Eric Kesler 2012/06/16 15:39:53
    Good idea
    Donald Eric Kesler
    +1
    I wholly support free expression. Offensive or not, Sonja Abrahamsson is a citizens of Sweden sharing her thoughts and observations. As Evelyn Beatrice Hall once wrote, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
  • Al B Th... Donald ... 2012/06/17 17:28:23
    Al B Thayer
    +1
    I think your missing the point. No one is questioning her rights. Funny how this kind of statement seems to find its way into a non political discussion. You must be a .....
  • Donald ... Al B Th... 2012/06/18 01:10:58
    Donald Eric Kesler
    +1
    Sweden’s official Twitter account is handed over to a new citizen every week. This poll asked if this was a good idea. I answered that I thought it was a good idea. Please explain to me how I missed the point of this poll?

I expressed my support for free expression. For some inexplicable reason, you don’t see this as an issue of free expression. The whole point of the national Twitter account was to allow citizens of Sweden a platform from which they were free to express themselves. I also commented that Abrahamsson was a citizen of Sweden. Both of these points are germane to discussion at hand.

How do you not see this discussion as political?

As a citizen of Sweden, she is providing an ugly but honest statement from Sweden. It might not be a statement that reflects the majority of people from Sweden, but that is what is bound to happen when you give a single individual a national platform for a week.

Tell me, Al B Thayer, what must I be? I do not recognize the significance of the five periods.
  • uninfor... Donald ... 2012/06/18 06:50:51
    uninformedluddite
    she is asking a valid question. She is in no way making a statement. People have been so programmed to the required knee jerk responses it is unbelievable.
  • Donald ... uninfor... 2012/06/18 09:16:32
    Donald Eric Kesler
    Questions can also be used to make a statement. Many participants on Sodahead are making statements through the polls that they create. When one is using the national Twitter account, the questions one asks inherently become statements.

I have no doubt that Abrahamsson is savvy enough to know that Sweden's national Twitter account is not Wikipedia. She was not simply seeking answers to valid questions.
  • WorleyGig 2012/06/16 14:35:15
    Good idea
    WorleyGig
    The experiment over all is a good idea even if this one person is completely ignorant and uncouth. If she's that sincerely ignorant it needs to be revealed and addressed. It was also inappropriate for a Twitter forum meant to reflect the culture of Sweden?
  • murphywasanoptimist 2012/06/16 13:06:23
    Recipe for disaster
    murphywasanoptimist
    Abrahamsson sounds like a Jewish name. Isn't this woman herself a Jew then?
  • TasselLady 2012/06/16 12:59:24 (edited)
    Recipe for disaster
    TasselLady
    Just another breeding ground for hate mongers like this 27 year old prejudice bigot. It's obvious she is a mini Hitler with her nasty comments. If an individual has this Twitter in Sweden, then it should be strictly regulated. Hopefully people will wake up and realize how stupid people are who believe they're better than every other race and religion or ethnic background. It's disgusting. Sonja needs to be tied to a pole and whipped. She should take a good look in the mirror and realize she's no better than anyone she points her fingers at.
    no prejudice
  • phil white TasselLady 2012/06/17 13:03:08
    phil white
    +1
    "Tied to a pole and whipped?" Are you into sadism? I'm into masochism. Is it a date? :-)
  • TasselLady phil white 2012/06/17 13:42:30
    TasselLady
    Oh Hell no! It's just I can't stand people who think they're the "superior race", and this woman is just one of many out there. People like that should never be allowed on a social network when all they spread is hate! Well, one thing is certain, what goes around comes around. And eventually she'll get what's coming to her.
  • phil white TasselLady 2012/06/17 16:26:27 (edited)
    phil white
    I don't think I read where she said "eventually (fill in the blank) will get what's coming to them".
    So who's spreading hate?

And I'm dissapointed about the date. Such a yougin you are.
  • TasselLady phil white 2012/06/17 16:46:14 (edited)
    TasselLady
    Misread the post. Have a nice day everybody.
  • phil white TasselLady 2012/06/17 19:57:58 (edited)
    phil white
    +1
    I must have missed something. I didn't see anything about hate.
    I'll reread the article...

Well I'm back.

"I just don't get why some people hates jews so much. "

If that is the offensive sentence, I just don't get it.

I'm not interested in defending this woman. My interest is in why some people are upset with what she tweeted.
  • Mantic TasselLady 2012/06/18 02:17:12 (edited)
    Mantic
    "...27 year old prejudice bigot. It's obvious she is a mini Hitler with her nasty comments..."

Er... I must have missed the part you were reading. The purported 27 year old was apparently outrageously ignorant (as in the top dictionary definition of lacking information on the subject), but never expressed hatred or bigotry. Just absolute failure to cognate, and a hippie dippy "what's the big deal?" attitude...

Which, if not staged for effect, is a pretty sad statement about the education level in Sweden.

Hitler was well-informed. Although half ethnic Jew himself, he bought into the notion of the Jew as sly conqueror put forth by Nietzsche, and feared the Jewish people as the most dangerous rivals to the Germanic ideal he imagined. Ms. Abrahamsson does not appear to have anywhere near the capacity to form such views...
  • Cornball TasselLady 2012/06/18 03:01:20
    Cornball
    I have no idea where you got all that hate out of those posts. There was nothing hateful about them, she wasn't saying she was better than anybody. Can you quote one thing she said that was hateful or implied she thought she was superior?
  • Dave 007 2012/06/16 12:03:01
    Recipe for disaster
    Dave 007
    I just don't see it working.
  • rosesvengeance BN-0 2012/06/16 08:52:31
    Good idea
    rosesvengeance BN-0
    +3
    this person was just simply honestly perplexed by the idea that someone could be hated for being a Jew. I don't find that offensive at all the whole idea of discrimination based on race or religion or sex etc. has always confused me. But I guess I'm in the minority in this country.
  • cc 2012/06/16 06:29:13
    Recipe for disaster
    cc
    TMI!!
  • nattieaug 2012/06/16 04:08:43
    Good idea
    nattieaug
    gives a better idea of what people think all around the world!
  • DizziNY 2012/06/16 03:47:04
    Good idea
    DizziNY
    I think it's a good idea because it shows you just how people think and how they are a bit misinformed about things.
  • mmmhollywould 2012/06/16 03:00:27
    Recipe for disaster
    mmmhollywould
    lol
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/06/16 02:39:07
    Good idea
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +1
    Great that this gets out to be addressed, I say...unrevealed ignorance remains ignorance.
  • Loki 2012/06/16 02:09:28
    Good idea
    Loki
    +1
    Just because she's ignorant to the subject of the Jewish community, anti-semitism, and the Holocaust doesn't mean the idea itself is void of any good. It was actually quite clever to be perfectly frank.
  • revardvandam 2012/06/15 22:38:29
    Good idea
    revardvandam
    Overall I think it was an interesting idea and the
    A naked girl is more interesting to use
  • Liz Del Rey 2012/06/15 22:15:26
    Good idea
    Liz Del Rey
    +1
    The U.S. should do that! Can you imagine all of those horrible tweets?!
  • taitaFalcon23 2012/06/15 20:12:55
    Good idea
    taitaFalcon23
    +3
    iif properly viewed, her question are really innocent and reflect a young mind not really polluted yet. This is just one of the results of people reading about historical events instead of living them. The further removed from key events, the more one is removed from the key emotions that drove them.
  • MissJo 2012/06/15 19:42:51
    Good idea
    MissJo
    Yeah there are bad apples, but what else is new? This is cool.
  • tina williams 2012/06/15 18:46:04
    Good idea
    tina williams
    Yes it is still a good idea, just because one person does not understand or has learned to use the same compter they tweet on to do research before opening their mouth does not mean that all the citizens there are and think the same as she does. Most of us have sense enough to understand one person does not represent the whole country. Unlike some look at USA as we are horrible, rude, etc. due to what they read online and lately not on this site, but others I have read peoples comments I am ashamed to be an american at times if people think we are all like them.

2014/09/02 04:45:19