Such a travisty! City of Tulsa, Oklahoma, destroys woman's edible landscaping with over 100 varieties of medicinal plants

Drew~PWCM~JLA~ 2012/11/19 18:44:58
City of Tulsa, Oklahoma, destroys woman's edible landscaping with over 100 varieties of medicinal plants

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

(NaturalNews) An Oklahoma woman is the latest victim of government terrorism after City of Tulsa code enforcement officials came to her house and illegally tore up her entire edible garden, which contained over 100 varieties of medicinal plants. Denise Morrison was in full compliance with local laws concerning her garden, and yet city officials proceeded to both violate a court order, and willfully deny Denise of her legal right to grow food on her own property by illegally destroying it.

KOTV NewsOn6.com, which was the first to break the heartbreaking story, explains a situation that is becoming disturbingly common in America today. A phantom "neighbor" allegedly complains about the victim's yard, which prompts overzealous city officials to conduct a witch hunt that includes coercing the victim into complying with their unlawful demands. When said victim refuses and tries to fight back and reclaim her legal rights, the city proceeds to trespass on her property and destroy it, along with her livelihood.

For Denise, this is exactly what happened when a "neighbor" complained about her edible garden, which she just so happened to be using to naturally treat her diabetes, high blood pressure, and arthritis. In this garden were strawberries, stevia, several varieties of mint, apple trees, pecan trees, walnut trees, grapes, lemons, garlic, and chives, to name just a few -- and each of these plants had a specific purpose in Denise's life, whether it was simply for nourishment, or for the prevention and treatment of various diseases.

But City of Tulsa code enforcement officials, apparently doped up on their own sick delusions of perceived grandeur, decided that Denise's garden violated local code, even though it most clearly did not. In fact, nowhere in the local code is there even a hint of verbiage that suggests Denise's garden was in violation of any local laws whatsoever -- Tulsa city officials appear to have simply made up phony violations in order to target Denise.

You can watch the full NewsOn6.com report here:
http://www.newson6.com

Local code reveals Denise's garden in full compliance with the law Code enforcement officials tried to claim that Denise's plants were too tall, exceeding the 12-inch limit for plants, and thus had to be removed. But as you will see in the following portion of Tulsa's Code of Ordinances titled Nuisances Classified, plants exceedingly twelve inches in height are permitted as long as they are "healthy trees, shrubs or produce for human consumption grown in a tended and cultivated garden." (http://library.municode.com).

Denise tried to point this fact out to officials, but they ignored her. She repeatedly tried to show them pictures of her garden and set up meetings to discuss the matter, but they continually refused, ordering her to remove the garden or else face further penalties.

"Every word out of their mouth was, 'we don't care,'" said Morrison to NewsOn6.com about how the city treated her when she tried to defend the legitimacy of her garden.

Denise was not about to be steamrolled without a fight, however. Rather than rip out her garden, she decided to call the police, who issued her a citation in order to have the issue worked out at a later day in court. But before the postponed hearing could even take place, code enforcement officials, in violation of both the court order and the city's own laws, arrived at Denise's house and proceeded to forcefully remove every single plant from both her front and back yards.

Several days later, Denise, who had left her house following the incident, came back to see the aftermath of what had taken place. The destruction was so severe that Denise sat in her driveway and cried for several minutes before eventually leaving.

"Not only are the plants my livelihood, they're my food and I was unemployed at the time and had no food left, no medicine left, and I didn't have insurance," said Morrison about her garden. "They basically took away my life and my livelihood."

Americans need to start standing up and defending their freedoms against government terrorists Denise has since filed a civil rights lawsuit against the city for tyrannizing her and destroying her personal property. Some of her supporters have also set up a Change.org petition demanding that the City of Tulsa replant her garden, compensate her for all losses, and apologize to her for their illegal activities against her (http://www.change.org).

But the incident should not have even occurred in the first place, nor should it have happened to Kimberly Bois of New Hampshire (http://www.naturalnews.com/035336_flowers_HOA_New_Hampshire.html) or Len Gratto of Mission, British Columbia (http://www.naturalnews.com/030983_food_freedom_British_Columb...). And Karl Tricamo of Ferguson, Missouri, faces a similar situation as Denise (http://nocostl.com).

The City of Tulsa's Neighborhood Inspections division, which was responsible for the destruction of Denise's property, can be reached at (918) 596-7698. Tulsa Mayor Dewey F. Bartlett can be reached at (918) 596-2100 or by visiting:
http://www.cityoftulsa.org

Sources for this article include:

http://www.newson6.com

http://www.cityoftulsa.org

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/036234_edible_landscaping_medicina...
http://www.naturalnews.com/036234_edible_landscaping_medicina...

Read More: http://www.naturalnews.com/036234_edible_landscapi...

neg. opinion?
    Stupid, but then again what can you expect from a place that gave us Dennis mahon?
  • ☆Hitler was a community org... 2012/11/26 14:31:32
    neg. opinion?
    ☆Hitler was a community organiz☆
    +1
    coming to a community near you
  • User Deactivated 2012/11/25 18:08:16
    neg. opinion?
    User Deactivated
    +1
    She should sue the city, and along with monetary damages, the city officials should be made to replant the entire garden and tend it to maturity.
  • gaylehelen 2012/11/21 13:36:02
    neg. opinion?
    gaylehelen
    +2
    Negative opinion as in how stupid, horrible, invasive, unethical, well I could just go on.
    A lot of us know how much work goes into a garden, it's such a "really ticks me off" kind of story. Oh, how angry I'd be.
  • patrick.bonacoscia 2012/11/21 11:18:57
    neg. opinion?
    patrick.bonacoscia
    +2
    "But City of Tulsa code enforcement officials, apparently doped up on their own sick delusions of perceived grandeur".

When courage less men are given an uniform or an official role they tend to use their power to give themselves some grandeur through belittling others to enhance their self-esteem or self-image. This is probably part of what happened in Tulsa
  • Beccy 2012/11/21 01:33:51
    neg. opinion?
    I could maybe see why they would rip up the front yard but why the back?
  • Robert Strobel 2012/11/20 22:18:52
    neg. opinion?
    Robert Strobel
    +2
    Woe is government
  • Dub 2012/11/20 17:53:13
    pos. opinion?
    Dub
    +1
    This only tells half the story and leaves questions. But if what this says is the truth then the city should be forced to restore her garden (the ones that wrecked it and ordered it to be wrecked should do the work themselves), pay her back for any losses she suffered, and continue to pay her living expenses until she has a new garden that can make her money and treat her diseases like the old one did, as well as fines and penalties from the state.
  • roman.espla 2012/11/20 15:36:31
    pos. opinion?
    roman.espla
    +1
    Legalize it!
    neg. opinion?
    +2
    Have one side of this argument and would need more information - what was she growing by name? Did she have a license to sell what ever she was growing? Were any of the things she was growing and selling illegal? What various diseases what she treating in others? Is she a medical professional? What does the city say? What was the complaint filed? I do not have enough of this story to make a decision, and the drama queen aspect of this makes me suspicious.
    neg. opinion?
    +3
    Tulsa should be MADE to COMPLETELY replant what they tore up and get a HEAVY fine!
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/11/20 10:33:57
  • Bolrog 2012/11/20 08:25:30
    neg. opinion?
    Bolrog
    +4
    Obama's liberal progressive have run rampant in this country; especially since their Idiot in Chief has been reelected. Typical Liberal Progressive Fascist tactics.
    rampant country idiot chief reelected typical liberal progressive fascist tactics liberal fascism
  • Lady Wh... Bolrog 2012/11/20 10:59:05
    +2
    WHAT THE HELL does that have to do with the subject?
  • Bolrog Lady Wh... 2012/11/20 14:12:23
    Bolrog
    Liberal progressives are the one that have pushed these type of Draconian Fascists laws into our society.
  • Chiron8839 Bolrog 2012/11/20 18:41:11
    Chiron8839
    "Liberal fascism" is an oxymoron.
  • Bolrog Chiron8839 2012/11/22 04:23:46
    Bolrog
    Liberal and and illiteracy go hand in hand. Forgot how to read past the ABC's of the Humanist Manifesto? humanist manifesto
  • Chiron8839 Bolrog 2012/11/22 12:35:15
    Chiron8839
    Never read it, and probably never will. But then I've read many other things that you probably never will.
  • Bolrog Chiron8839 2012/11/22 13:18:46
    Bolrog
    +1
    So...you just take as gospel what the liberal professors taught you? Do your own research and reading and I have forgotten more that i have read than you will ever read. Just kidding. I never forget what i have read. liberal illiteracy
  • Chiron8839 Bolrog 2012/11/22 14:06:56
    Chiron8839
    I take nothing as gospel, and I haven't had a professor in a long time. Most of those I did have now thank me for having extended their careers, enlarged the mission of their institutions, and funded the academic careers of many of their graduates.
  • Bolrog Chiron8839 2012/11/23 08:53:10
    Bolrog
    It is sad that an intellect such as yours is in service to liberal ideals then.
  • Chiron8839 Bolrog 2012/11/23 18:17:31
    Chiron8839
    I don't know from where you derived the notion that I'm in service to any ideals. I'm a pragmatic realist.
  • Think Free 2012/11/20 07:45:28 (edited)
    neg. opinion?
    Think Free
    +5
    I tell you anyone comes after my food and there's gonna be a little more resistance....

Is this the "free" country you're always talking about?
  • redhorse29 2012/11/20 07:41:49
    neg. opinion?
    redhorse29
    +2
    Typical liberal progressive socialist action. More sadly is the intolerance and lack of judgement by her neighbor(s).
  • Lady Wh... redhorse29 2012/11/20 10:59:38
    +1
    WHAT THE HELL does "liberal" have to do with it?
  • andy15554 Lady Wh... 2012/11/20 13:23:02
    andy15554
    +2
    this is what liberals do, tell everyone else how to live their lives and then make them when they won't.
  • troy.r.ivie 2012/11/20 07:03:37
  • Drew~PW... troy.r.... 2012/11/20 10:04:50
    Drew~PWCM~JLA~
    She was with in code except a vehical that wasn't running.
  • troy.r.... Drew~PW... 2012/11/20 10:09:29
    troy.r.ivie
    +1
    I understand that, But if the garden would of been in a greenhouse, there should not of been any issues.
  • troy.r.... troy.r.... 2012/11/20 10:29:32
    troy.r.ivie
    +1
    Let me explain my comment a little. Years ago I bought a house, on a corner, 1 only neigbor touching my properity was an elderly couple, No big deal. After meeting the neighbors and listen to the old man brag about how he had many people dogs removed from the neighborhood, and a few cars that were sitting for a week under repairs. I thought to myself. Put up a seclussion fense. His wife bitch me out for blocking her access to a fig tree in my yard, There yard was fense I said sorry the fig tree was dead.

Well on my honeymoon that neighbor called code enforcement because we had boxers, they said we had pit bulls, when we got back we found a note on the door from code enforcement demanding we show the animals tags, (on his collar), about a month later I caught on video the old man and old lady throwing sticks and rocks at my pure bread boxer. I walked over to his house knocked on the door, and said I got something to show you. I played the recording for him, and said you toss 1 more stick or rock at my dog, I will sue, and will own your house. his house went on the market a month later and was sold in 2 and half months.

The moral of this story is when dealing with an asswhole neighbor, that is bored and lonely that likes to cause problems, KNOW YOUR RIGHTS, and live wi...

The moral of this story is when dealing with an asswhole neighbor, that is bored and lonely that likes to cause problems, KNOW YOUR RIGHTS, and live within your rights. It would better for her to use a greenhouse, this eleminates the neighbors bitching to code enforcement, that has been bullying more then her in block I am sure. Cause a pain in the ass neighbor is usually a pain in ass neighbor for others also.
  • Drew~PW... troy.r.... 2012/11/20 10:31:55 (edited)
    Drew~PWCM~JLA~
    Should not have been an issue either way. Besides, in the heat of summer nothing lives in green houses. The heat kills it all.
  • troy.r.... Drew~PW... 2012/11/20 10:39:37
    troy.r.ivie
    +1
    we grow veggies by the inclosed pool but that is more to keep rabbits and dear ouf of them then neighbors.
  • Drew~PW... troy.r.... 2012/11/20 10:54:24
    Drew~PWCM~JLA~
    Bet your pool has great ventilation during the summer. ;)
  • troy.r.... Drew~PW... 2012/11/20 11:05:08
    troy.r.ivie
    +1
    A few details about her grarden I did not catch, gives me a few questions about it.

Was the garden on her property?
    Was the garden on her front lawn or side yard?

If she it was in her back yard, then she needs to see about a fense to block the view.

Code enforcement usually do not run around unless people call to complain,This is a busy body neighbor. Water restrictions would be an ecceptions in most cases, again gotten around by keeping the garden indoors, or on a screen poarch.
  • Chiron8839 troy.r.... 2012/11/22 12:37:07
    Chiron8839
    I agree. The article offers no specifics upon which to formulate an opinion.
  • andy15554 troy.r.... 2012/11/21 14:00:08
    andy15554
    +1
    she had no money for food, how would she pay for a giant greenhouse?
  • andy15554 troy.r.... 2012/11/20 13:22:02
    andy15554
    +1
    she was growing enough food to live off of, you'd need a massive green house for that. If she kept her garden neat, I can't see how there could be any objection.
  • bill.fife.3 2012/11/20 06:34:06
    neg. opinion?
    bill.fife.3
    +3
    Thank you for posting this. We need to know just how far our country has gone in the direction of spawning Gangster Regimes like this city council now is. And if the state or federal government doesn't take appropriate action in seeking justice against them then they are complicitous and part of the problem.

Two years ago I planted and grew heirloom beans on my property. No one challenged me and many homes in this rural community also have subsistence gardens as did my own grandfather. In his time they were even encouraged by the government. Has everyone forgotten about Victory Gardens? PBS even ran a program by that name not too long ago.

Who regulates the regulators? There needs to be justice here and in no uncertain terms. This is far from over.
  • Drew~PW... bill.fi... 2012/11/20 10:05:25
    Drew~PWCM~JLA~
    Hi Bill. ;)
  • bill.fi... Drew~PW... 2012/11/25 19:13:43
    bill.fife.3
    +1
    *Question Everything*
    Hi Drew. Good to find you here.

2014/10/23 03:12:00