Studies Say Most Homophobes Are Closet Gays. Do You AGREE ?

Che Guevara - Hero 2012/05/14 23:16:02
Yes, I agree
No, I am a Closet Gay that thinks these Scientific Studies are BS

Homophobes Gay? Study Ties Anti-Gay Outlook To Homosexuality, Authoritarian ParentingHomophobics should consider a little self-reflection, suggests a new study finding those individuals who are most hostile toward gays and hold strong anti-gay views may themselves have same-sex desires, albeit undercover ones.

The prejudice of homophobia may also stem from authoritarian parents, particularly those with homophobic views as well, the researchers added.

"This study shows that if you are feeling that kind of visceral reaction to an out-group, ask yourself, 'Why?'" co-author Richard Ryan, a professor of psychology at the University of Rochester, said in a statement. "Those intense emotions should serve as a call to self-reflection."

The research, published in the April 2012 issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, reveals the nuances of prejudices like homophobia, which can ultimately have dire consequences. [The 10 Most Destructive Human Behaviors]

"Sometimes people are threatened by gays and lesbians because they are fearing their own impulses, in a sense they 'doth protest too much,'" Ryan told LiveScience. "In addition, it appears that sometimes those who would oppress others have been oppressed themselves, and we can have some compassion for them too, they may be unaccepting of others because they cannot be accepting of themselves."

Ryan cautioned, however, that this link is only one source of anti-gay sentiments.

Hidden homosexuality

In four studies, the researchers looked at the discrepancies between what people say about their sexual orientation and their implicit sexual orientation based on a reaction-time test. The studies involved college students from Germany and the United States.

For the implicit measure, students had to categorize words and pictures flashed onto a computer screen into "gay" or "straight" groups. Words included "gay," "straight," "homosexual" and "heterosexual," while the pictures showed straight and gay couples. Before each trial, participants were primed with the word "me" or "others" flashed momentarily onto a computer screen. The researchers said quicker reaction time for "me" and "gay," and a slower association of "me" with "straight" would indicate said an implicit gay orientation. [Why Gay Parents May Be the Best Parents]

In another experiment, the researchers measured implicit sexual orientation by having participants choose to browse same-sex or opposite-sex photos on a computer screen.

Questionnaires also teased out the parenting style the participants were exposed to, with students asked how much they agreed or disagreed with statements such as: "I felt controlled and pressured in certain ways;" and "I felt free to be who I am." To gauge homophobia in a household, students responded to items such as, "It would be upsetting for my mom to find out she was alone with a lesbian" or "My dad avoids gay men whenever possible."

Participants indicated their own level of homophobia, both overt and implicit; in word-completion tasks, students wrote down the first three words that came to mind when prompted with some of the words' letters. Students were primed at some point with the word "gay" to see how that impacted the amount of aggressive words used.

Controlling parents

In all of the studies, participants who reported supportive and accepting parents were more in touch with their implicit sexual orientation, meaning it tended to jibe with their outward sexual orientation. Students who indicated they came from authoritarian homes showed the biggest discrepancy between the two measures of sexual orientation.

"In a predominately heterosexual society, 'know thyself' can be a challenge for many gay individuals," lead author Netta Weinstein, a lecturer at the University of Essex in the United Kingdom,said in a statement. "But in controlling and homophobic homes, embracing a minority sexual orientation can be terrifying."[5 Ways to Foster Self-Compassion in Your Child]

Those participants who reported their heterosexuality despite having hidden same-sex desires were also the most likely to show hostility toward gay individuals, including self-reported anti-gay attitudes, endorsement of anti-gay policies and discrimination such as supporting harsher punishments for homosexuals.

The research may help to explain the underpinnings of anti-gay bullying and hate crimes, the researchers note. People in denial about their own sexual orientation, perhaps a denial fostered by authoritarian and homophobic parents, may feel a threat from other gay and lesbian individuals. Lashing out may ultimately be an indicator of the person's own internal conflict with sexual orientation.

This inner conflict can be seen in some high-profile cases in which anti-gay public figures are caught engaging in same-sex acts, the researchers say. For instance, evangelical preacher and anti-gay-marriage advocate Ted Haggard was caught in a gay sex scandal in 2006. And in 2010, prominent anti-gay activist and co-founder of conservative Family Research Council George Rekers was reportedly spotted in 2010 with a male escort rented from Rentboy.com. According to news reports, the escort confirmed Rekers is gay.

"We laugh at or make fun of such blatant hypocrisy, but in a real way, these people may often themselves be victims of repression and experience exaggerated feelings of threat," Ryan said. "Homophobia is not a laughing matter. It can sometimes have tragic consequences," as was the case in the 1998 murder of Matthew Shepard, a gay man.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/09/homophobi...

• ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/05/14 23:30:31
    Yes, I agree
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +17

I am Straight Yet I have no problem with Homosexuals Gay Lesbians Bisexual Transgender none of it bothers me to me Love is Love as long as it is a Consenting Adult to me Love is a Beautiful thing

lesbians bisexual transgender bothers love love consenting adult love beautiful

• MissJo wtw 2012/05/15 08:09:08
    MissJo
    +2
    Homophobe is an ignorant term...?
    lolk.
  • Singerar wtw 2012/05/15 15:14:08
    Singerar
    +2
    Homophobe is in the Webster Dictionary
  • Kaleokualoha 2012/05/15 02:49:41
    Yes, I agree
    Kaleokualoha
    +2
    I am unconvinced, but actual statistics would help.

For example: If 30% of the population is homophobic (perhaps as reflected by opposition to gay marriage), this would mean that over 15% of the population is gay.

Since I believe the gay population is considerably less, this suggests that LESS than half of homophobes are closet gays.
  • Willie Kaleoku... 2012/05/15 17:08:08
    Willie
    What you believe is not evidence. I could more logically infer from the same study that the number of homosexuals in the world has been tremendously underestimated. This study actually suggests that. And there is reason to believe it is true, especially if many closeted gays refused to identify as homosexual even in an anonymous survey (which it is likely they would).

Now, if you could provide evidence to support your belief that there are fewer homosexuals in the population than most surveys indicate, you might have a point.
  • Kaleoku... Willie 2012/05/15 18:22:45
    Kaleokualoha
    +1
    What figure do you accept as truth? Does it include bisexuals and other people between 1 and 6 on the Kinsey scale?
  • Willie Kaleoku... 2012/05/15 19:51:56
    Willie
    +1
    I don't like to put a number on such things, but I would say that any count of the gay population should not be limited to those living an exclusively homosexual lifestyle, and doing so openly. From a political standpoint, it would be best to include those who consider themselves in any way bisexual, as they might decide at some point to enter a committed relationship with someone of the same gender and want to marry that person.
  • Kaleoku... Willie 2012/05/15 21:03:22
    Kaleokualoha
    +1
    [QUOTE]
    2008
    CNN exit polling showed self-identified gay, lesbian, and bisexual voters at 4% of the voting population in the United States presidential election, 2008.[16]

2010
    The National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior interviewed nearly 6,000 people nationwide between the ages of 14 and 94 found that 7 percent of women and 8 percent of men identify as gay, lesbian or bisexual.[17]
    [END QUOTE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/... ]

In the absence of conflicting empirical evidence, it seems clear that less than 10% of Americans are homosexual. More than twice that number are probably homophobic.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth."
    - Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)
  • sandra 2012/05/15 02:36:59 (edited)
    Yes, I agree
    sandra
    +4
    I believe it. I know many men that claimed to hate gay guys. Only to find out later that they were crossdressers. And they still claimed to hate gays, but they didn`t mind gays when they were acting the part of a lady, because they said it wasn`t really them after all . ya right !
  • sandra sandra 2012/05/16 22:44:47
    sandra
    So there it is ! all or most of the homophobes are actually secretly gay, so the next time I hear someone gay bashing, I will know their secret. I hope all the homophobes will be reading and learning about this new almost scientific finding. I love gay people I love gay people
  • mich52 2012/05/15 02:02:09
  • Singerar 2012/05/15 01:48:25
    Yes, I agree
    Singerar
    +3
    Absolutely..I've always heard that.
  • Charles E Singerar 2012/05/15 05:37:39
    Charles E
    I have heard a lot of things about various groups thet were pure BS.
    This question falls into that category.
  • Che Gue... Charles E 2012/05/15 06:28:06
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Yeah, it's only science. lol
    Yes, I agree
    +6
    Their own worst fears are that their observations of others of the same sex, primarily males, produces a erotic affect upon themselves, especially when watching heterosexual porn involving TWO men and a single woman.

MANY men will not admit that the idea of two men (themselves being one of the two) is exciting and arrousing. And if they try it they suddenly are far more aware of the attraction to the other male as well as the female.

Hence when not in the sexual situation they will build a wall around themselves of homophobic responses to any SINGLE male on male relationship, Especially when it comes to body contact, in which they will react overly defensivly.
  • Mandy 2012/05/15 01:40:37
    Mandy
    +5
    I think most of them are brainwashed by religion, but some of the most vocal are probably closet gays.
  • BurntOffering 2012/05/15 01:25:12
    BurntOffering
    +1
    I am a closet Gay who a straight Heterosexuals and I only partially agree with this premise.
  • MissJo BurntOf... 2012/05/15 01:51:04
  • BurntOf... MissJo 2012/05/15 13:57:41
    BurntOffering
    I'm straight! and I dont think all homophobes are closet gays, just like I dont think all men have womb envy.
  • luvguins 2012/05/15 01:22:15
    Yes, I agree
    luvguins
    +8
    Plenty of evidence even with our politicians like Mark Foley and Larry Craig. Ministers too.
    All railing against homosexuality while diddling in it. Generally it is men insecure about their own sexuality.
  • Bilingual required sucks 2012/05/15 01:17:00
    Yes, I agree
    Bilingual required sucks
    +5
    I think in most (but all ALL) cases that is very true.
  • JoshuaHarper 2012/05/15 01:14:19
    Yes, I agree
    JoshuaHarper
    +3
    Or they are afraid of change.
  • 2468 2012/05/15 01:11:26
    Yes, I agree
    2468
    +7
    I believe we all exist on a gay to straight continuum. There are the absolutely full on gays and there are the total heterosexuals too. If we assign the value of 0 to full on gay and 100 to full straight everyone exists somewhere between these two. The only ones that may not are the asexual people.

I know I am near the straight end but I can notice men as well in a relative sense. Still I have to ask my wife if Mr. X is good looking or not...and then that is through her filter too.

We should learn to accept where we are as a place we exist on the scale. This is not a test. It is just how things turn out.

I know I would not if I could choose to, select being gay. Why would someone with all the homophobia, hazing, job discrimination and so on. I don't think there is a lot of choice in the matter. The choice comes in when you determine for yourself that you are nearer the gay end than the straight end. We also have a choice how we treat others who aren't just like ourselves.

I have felt uncomfortable around some gays many years ago. As I got to know them and spent some time with them I grew to respect and admire them for their creativity, honesty and integrity. I am sure there are some bad gays but the ones I spent time with were good decent people. There is s...

I have felt uncomfortable around some gays many years ago. As I got to know them and spent some time with them I grew to respect and admire them for their creativity, honesty and integrity. I am sure there are some bad gays but the ones I spent time with were good decent people. There is something about facing ones fears that just drops the fears away.

Some call FEAR = False Evidence Appearing Real

Once you face a fear the fear is destroyed.
    I think some gays don't realize it or don't admit it. They push it down and soldier on. This makes them off balance so as this post suggests the ones that are the most vocal against gayness are likely working to not face their own inner gayness.

Gays have a lot to offer from my experience.
    What fashion forward woman doesn't desire a gay friend to bounce off clothing issues?
    Interior design has a lot of strong gays that make good choices.
    Creative types often have a bit of gay in them....and as a creative person I have a bit in me as well.
    Gays don't reproduce and this may have some survival value to the race as it reaches overpopulation.

As I look at gays and wonder what makes them like that....it also leads me to why do I like women? What is it about some female body parts that stirs my loins? Was I programmed by the Playboys I found under my dads side of the bed? Was I imprinted in some way? Did I at some point choose to be straight? Why was I so anti-girl at ages 3 -5?

All in all I think it is a curiosity with no clear answers.
  • cupcakes 2012/05/15 01:10:24
    Yes, I agree
    cupcakes
    +5
    OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KaylaE 2012/05/15 01:06:37
    Yes, I agree
    KaylaE
    +5
    I actually have a christian uncle who is very much against gays BUT I (and others in my family) believe he is actually gay and just scared to admit it because most of the people in my family are against it (I am not one of those people though)
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/05/15 01:03:41
    Yes, I agree
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +6
    Some are.
  • TommyC 2012/05/15 01:02:16
    Yes, I agree
    TommyC
    +3
    100% yes lol idk mabye
  • RoseyRhod 2012/05/15 00:45:40
    Yes, I agree
    RoseyRhod
    +5
    Maybe not all of them, but I've known (and even dated, in my younger and dumber days) guys that I was sure were full of self-hate because of their own homoerotic tendencies. Few are more hateful than closeted homosexuals trying to prove that they aren't. I got tired of trying to defend people against their diatribe. I won't have anything to do with people who act like that at this point.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/05/15 00:32:43
    Yes, I agree
    NarcolepticGoat
    +4
    why else would they obsess?
  • Vision of Verve 2012/05/15 00:26:20
  • RoseyRhod Vision ... 2012/05/15 00:49:10
    RoseyRhod
    +3
    They were talking about the kind of people who vehemently gay-bash and talk about how being a "fag" is terrible. Evidently you are not one of those.
  • MissJo Vision ... 2012/05/15 01:52:52
    MissJo
    +4
    "If it's true, why are they not coming out?"
    Fear.

"Why are some married to the opposite sex and quite okay with that?"
    Is that not the perfect cover?
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/05/15 00:22:06
    Yes, I agree
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +6
    I think it's that way with a lot of "secret sins." The vast majority of times the people who rail the most against "thus & so" are guiltiest of committing that exact same thing they are railing against.
  • oldlady 2012/05/15 00:20:25 (edited)
    Yes, I agree
    oldlady
    +6
    It makes sense otherwise they would mind their own business and not get so hot over two people of the same sex that love each other. There is definitely something missing in their lives :/
  • Jack's Pearl 2012/05/15 00:19:39
    Jack's Pearl
    +8
    I don't think most homophobes are closet gays. There's too many of them for that and only around 10% of the population is gay. I think some so called "homophobes" are just jerks and too much into others business. It's none of their business who someone else chooses to love and/or sleep with.
  • Mantic Jack's ... 2012/05/15 07:02:33 (edited)
    Mantic
    +1
    3% tops. And that's just statistics based on another lie: that people are one way or another. There are lots of psychological and social factors between the kid confused about his or her sexual interests and the gender hating "adult" Perez Hiltons.
  • Willie Mantic 2012/05/15 19:54:27
    Willie
    3%? More than 3% of the U.S. population are not just gay, but are out of the closet and prancing the streets in hot pants, honey!
  • Mantic Willie 2012/05/15 23:10:56
    Mantic
    Sorry "honey," that just is not the case.
  • Willie Mantic 2012/05/16 03:38:00
    Willie
    You must not get out much.
  • Mantic Willie 2012/05/16 13:37:14 (edited)
    Mantic
    Perhaps you underestimate the actual scale of the population. 3% is more than significant enough to be noticed. If you see more where you are, it's just where you are.
  • Willie Mantic 2012/05/16 16:04:17
    Willie
    I'm on planet earth.

2014/07/22 19:48:59