Student yells at teacher...

Gracie - Proud Conservative 2013/05/10 01:41:42
Related Topics: Student, Teacher
Telling the truth...
Troublemaker...
Does this kid have a point or is he just a troublemaker?

• GoDucks5 2013/05/10 03:57:30 (edited)
    Telling the truth...
    GoDucks5
    +13
    He has the balls to stand up to a bad teacher like that. Good for him. The way he described that teacher reminded me of my Geometry teacher last year. Although, my Geometry teacher last year would have been yelling back at a student if they yelled at her. She yelled at students for no reason. Just because they couldn't understand the material due to her bad teaching.

• Jenn the Psycho 2013/05/12 20:20:37
    Telling the truth...
    Jenn the Psycho
    +1
    Good on him.

If that is how it is, and that kid did sound genuine about his standing point when he was preaching, then he was right to do it. And this teacher did sound like she couldn't care less by the way she was responding lazily.

I can't stand it when teachers just DON'T care and just show up for the paycheck. If that were my kid, and I found out the teacher is slacking by just passively handing out packets and expecting everyone to understand, I'd be marching in with my sights set on her to either set her straight or take her OUT.

Regardless of the case, he does have a point: not all kids are on the same learning level.

Some need some extra assistance, and if they can't turn to their teacher, then who else is there to turn to?

In any case, I applaud him for standing up. That takes guts.
  • D S 2013/05/11 21:48:44
    Telling the truth...
    D S
    +1
    Maybe didn't go about it the best way but got people to take notice of a huge problem.
    Telling the truth...
    +1
    Though even he admits he could have done it in a more effective and more polite way than he did it. What he should have done was to complain, in writing, to the principal. But the merits of his complaint are on-target.
  • S and S 2013/05/11 13:17:36
  • nancynurse 2013/05/11 06:05:24
    nancynurse
    +1
    I just have his word that the teacher cursed. I think it could have been handled differently. He seemed confrontational.
  • rdmatheny 2013/05/11 04:08:38
    Telling the truth...
    rdmatheny
    +4
    The kid is telling the truth and his role model is Ron Paul. (Mentions him @ 9:40 in video)
  • drdos1943 2013/05/10 18:45:31
    Telling the truth...
    drdos1943
    +1
    We have too many teachers out there who have the qualifications on paper to teach, but do not know a damn thing about communicating with their students and actually teaching the subject in a way that the students can learn.

It is a no wonder that out of the 50 top industrial nations of the world, we, the second in spending money for education (Sweden first), are rank 38th overall and rank last in some areas.

If his allegations were true, It was not this student who should have been thrown out of class. It was the teacher who should have been thrown out.... but try doing that with the teacher unions.
  • Denny Boy 2013/05/10 18:26:11
    Telling the truth...
    Denny Boy
    +2
    He has a great point. Time to make schools learning centers and stop making them brainwash camps
  • flyingseaturtle BN 2013/05/10 17:32:18
    flyingseaturtle BN
    +1
    Both... He made good points but he was quite rude. He was punished by being thrown out of the classroom. I had some great teachers and some lazy teachers.
  • handeman 2013/05/10 17:14:07
    Telling the truth...
    handeman
    +2
    The teacher should get out of her chair and teach, that is what she is there for, otherwise we could hire TA's to pass out papers.
  • Kidasha 2013/05/10 16:59:34
    Telling the truth...
    Kidasha
  • Rebel Yell 2013/05/10 14:13:29
    Rebel Yell
    We know nothing about the teacher except through his eyes. Getting in someone's face smacks of lack of social skills. At some point he will probably have a job. Try that with your boss or supervisor. At one point he says, " Since I came here..." Maybe he has assimilation problems.

If she is a bad teacher, go through the right channels. The school board would be a place to start. His parents can also request his transfer to another teacher. Since he is a high school student, he could do that himself. There are ways to get what you want that don't require a meltdown. Be proactive, not reactive.
  • Gracie ... Rebel Yell 2013/05/10 22:23:36
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    As someone who tried to get a teacher reprimanded for extremely inappropriate behavior, I'd have to say that it depends on the administration and what their idea of unacceptable is.
  • Rebel Yell Gracie ... 2013/05/10 22:35:36
    Rebel Yell
    That may be so. But the place to start is within the school and then take it to the board. Standing therre having a meltdown will not solve the problem.
  • Gracie ... Rebel Yell 2013/05/10 22:37:41
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Actually, it got national attention and did far more than going to the principal or even the school board. I know it shouldn't be that way but it is. The problem we had with my granddaughters softball coach was the racial factor. It shouldn't be that way either but it was.
  • Garciataria 2013/05/10 14:01:17
    Telling the truth...
    Garciataria
    +2
    ... could I hire this guy to yell at my high school's student council teachers?
  • 1marky 2013/05/10 13:27:14
    Telling the truth...
    1marky
    +2
    I agree with it. He speaks the truth.
  • Cognito22 2013/05/10 12:45:20
    Telling the truth...
    Cognito22
    +3
    Teaching is a performing art.
    This teacher hands out packets, collects her paycheck, and calls it teaching.
    She is cheating the future of this country.
  • crewzer1 2013/05/10 11:46:53
    crewzer1
    +1
    Life is not certainty and just because most feel that their is an appropriate responce to life. Does not Mean that Social Standards is anything more than interpersonal decision to act on the urge to put out the feelings one feels. Respect the Voice of Young People...
  • Oceanside 2013/05/10 11:30:31
    Telling the truth...
    Oceanside
    +2
    Atta boy
  • TacoBunny 2013/05/10 08:12:03
    TacoBunny
    +1
    Maybe a better a way of saying what he said, but he does have a point. :T
  • Gracie ... TacoBunny 2013/05/10 22:25:28
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    I thought he did well for a young man. It's hard to be perfect when the moment strikes. I usually say things and then think for the next hour what I should have said or said better. That's why I like this forum, it gives me some thinking time.
  • gvc 2013/05/10 07:25:08
    Telling the truth...
    gvc
    +1
    She is lazy, just phoning it in when she should be engaging these kids.

He is back in class, she is suspended while they investigate. I heard on the news the teacher and student have discussed the incident and all is well again.

I think he is an honor student, the Principle had nothing but praise for him.
  • Gracie ... gvc 2013/05/10 22:26:15
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Thanks, that's interesting follow-up. You could tell he wasn't your average high school student.
  • Wyveryx 2013/05/10 07:16:33
    Telling the truth...
    Wyveryx
    +1
    I remember teachers like this...They hand out assignments either through worksheets that they expect to be handed in, or they just put page numbers on the board...

There is no teaching involved. I would bravo this person, though he should have said "take credit" instead of "take credibility"...

Either way, the student has it right...
  • Th8nos 2013/05/10 07:16:02
    Th8nos
    +2
    "Troublemaker who is telling the truth"
  • Gracie ... Th8nos 2013/05/10 22:26:31
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    True!
  • jack_kazim 2013/05/10 05:45:41
    Telling the truth...
    jack_kazim
    +2
    I have a math teacher who just gives us work and doesn't engage us. I have a science teacher who engages us. Guess which class I have a higher grade in.
  • Kern 2013/05/10 05:30:30 (edited)
  • Wyveryx Kern 2013/05/10 07:19:00 (edited)
    Wyveryx
    +2
    The student was basically saying that his teacher should be doing what you did...Bravo to for getting them interested and actually invested.
  • Kern Wyveryx 2013/05/10 13:08:37
    Kern
    +2
    I know what the student was doing but how he went about it was in appropriate and not helpful. But then again, who knows if he actually tried to talk to the teacher before this incident.

The kid looks like a stoner. Some the smartest kids in my high school were stoners.
  • Gracie ... Kern 2013/05/10 22:28:52
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Well, maybe you judged this book completely wrong.

• Kern Wyveryx 2013/05/10 13:11:23
    Kern
    +1
    Thank you.
  • Cognito22 Kern 2013/05/10 12:53:04 (edited)
    Cognito22
    +5
    You totally missed the point.
    Here's a student, who wants to learn, criticizing a teacher who wasn't teaching.
    Totally different situation than what you're describing.
    Go back and listen to what he's saying. And tell me if what he is saying is not true.
    If he's going to be ejected from the class might as well make some constructive comments about the teacher's lack of teaching.
  • Kern Cognito22 2013/05/10 13:11:08
    Kern
    I listened. I actually agree with the student. How the student went about it is completely wrong. You don't bitch out your teacher and walk out of class. If he walked out my class he would not be let back in and would would fail the course. Without official intervention from the principle or some other authority, the kid would get what he wanted, no more class for him an automatic F. Be careful what you ask for.....
  • Cognito22 Kern 2013/05/10 13:14:00 (edited)
    Cognito22
    +4
    The principle couldn't fault the student. Probably because everything the kid said was true.
    And the teacher has been put on administrative leave.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnew...

http://www.dallasnews.com/new...
  • Kern Cognito22 2013/05/10 14:03:54
    Kern
    +1
    Thanks for the link.

And, good for this kid for getting back into school That is not an easy thing to do.

I would still have this kid punished because encouraging students to act out as a first response is not the best way to handle it. But that's me.

I didn't know the teacher had asked him to leave. The teacher should have worked with the kid. I've worked with good and bad teachers. A good teacher really does make a difference.
  • gvc Kern 2013/05/10 22:37:04
    gvc
    +2
    Bliss told News 8 the situation began when he questioned the teacher about why students did not have more time to prepare for the STAAR test. But he said the conversation escalated after the teacher told him to stop complaining. After a brief verbal exchange, Bliss said the teacher told him to leave her class. That's when a classmate begins recording the video that has gone viral.
  • Kern gvc 2013/05/13 05:30:04
    Kern
    Too bad teachers now days have to teach to a test instead of teaching.

It's much more beneficial to teach critical thinking and logic rather than just memorization.

I get where the kid was coming from. After learning more about the story it looks like this teacher wasn't trying very hard and obviously didn't have control of the class. If this teacher was doing nothing but handing out packets for students to read, half of the blame goes to the department head for not keeping up on what was being taught.
  • gvc Kern 2013/05/13 18:58:46
    gvc
    Yeah but you need to get up off your ass to teach.

When I was in school, Teaches actually taught. Most of our class time was spent in discussion.

I agree, they should not have to teach to test. I feel bad for students these days. They need to be in a Charter school just to get a decent education.

2014/04/20 20:35:48