Student wins right to wear "Jesus is not a homophobe" shirt. Good decision?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/05/22 13:24:40

The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio on Monday
affirmed an Ohio high school junior’s First Amendment right to wear a
T-shirt with the slogan “Jesus Is Not a Homophobe” to school.

Maverick Couch, an openly gay junior at Waynesville High School, wore
the shirt during the National Day of Silence in April 2011. The day of
silence is meant to bring attention to anti-LGBT bullying and harassment
in schools.

School officials said the shirt was “indecent and sexual in nature”
and ordered Couch to turn his shirt inside out. He complied with the
order. In 2012, he asked the principal for permission to wear the shirt
again, but was told he would be suspended if he did so.

Lambda Legal filed a lawsuit against the school on behalf on Couch, claiming the school violated his First Amendment rights.

“We’re very happy for Maverick and all LGBT students in Ohio,” said
Christopher Clark, Senior Staff Attorney for Lambda Legal. “If school
officials had any doubt before, it’s clear now: First Amendment rights
apply to all students on every day of the year, and efforts to silence
LGBT youth will not go unchallenged.”

Read More: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/21/student-wins...

• TruXter 2012/06/07 12:12:51
    Bad Decision
    TruXter
    Should not be allowed to wear anything that expresses sexuality, or puts someone's deity in focus of sexuality related topics. It infringes upon those who believe in said deity and puts a sexual focus upon the child.
    The child is too young for sex, therefor the topic should not be allowed on his/her shirt.
  • Psyblade 2012/05/29 17:34:05
    Good Decision
    Psyblade
    How is that sexual in nature? Seriously? Have they SEEN what kids wear to school?
  • TheFightingPanties 2012/05/24 07:55:06
    Good Decision
    TheFightingPanties
    I see nothing wrong with the shirt and it certainly doesn't sound like it was "indecent and sexual" in nature.
  • BongRipper 2012/05/23 09:37:51
    Good Decision
    BongRipper
    I don't understand why this had to go to the supreme court
  • vampire_lord 2012/05/23 06:27:38
    Good Decision
    vampire_lord
    jesus never acctually spoke about homosexuality
  • Dark Angel AKA Hippiegirl 2012/05/23 05:57:01
    Good Decision
    Dark Angel AKA Hippiegirl
    Jesus had 2 Dads - so why not?
  • apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope 2012/05/23 05:56:41
    Good Decision
    apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope
    Freedom of speech.

Though I'm not sure how the shirt's statement is "sexual in nature". It's stating sexuality, not the sex itself.
  • Cal 2012/05/23 04:47:26 (edited)
    Good Decision
    Cal
    Freedom of speech. Enough said.
  • A Lionheart 2012/05/23 04:28:06
    Good Decision
    A Lionheart
    YAY! One for the good guys!!!
  • apachehellfire65 2012/05/23 02:56:23
    Bad Decision
    apachehellfire65
    isn't it amazing how people who are worried about fairness. are never worried about fairness. i think they should not allow this unless they allow both sides of the argument. i also think schools should be allowed to set their own dress codes ans long as they are not discriminatory.
  • BongRipper apacheh... 2012/05/23 09:40:29
    BongRipper
    Except "Jesus is not a homophobe" isn't an argument so much as it's a statement.
  • apacheh... BongRipper 2012/05/23 11:21:18
    apachehellfire65
    its a statement to start a argument! but that's not even the point. what do you think the people who argued that he had the right to wear this shirt would do. if a kid wore one that said Jesus hates fags. or Gay's should be in prison. or some other stupid chit? that's right they would lose their minds. and be first to try to get it baned! so i think that if he is allowed then if someone feels the opposite then they should too. but we both know they wont.
  • BongRipper apacheh... 2012/05/23 21:00:00
    BongRipper
    "Jesus Hates Fags" and "Gays should be imprisoned" is a bit more vitriolic than "Jesus is Not a Homophobe"
  • Huntclan 2012/05/23 02:39:26
    Bad Decision
    Huntclan
    I wouldn't want students to get the idea that they could then wear T-Shirts that say stuff like:
    - Jesus is afraid of Homos
    - Jesus looks down on Gays
    - Jesus prefers heterosexuals
    - It was Jesus and Mary not Jesus and Harry

I just don't think you want to start a fight like that.
  • A Lionh... Huntclan 2012/05/23 04:29:52
    A Lionheart
    I think we would. But only if you want the kids wearing those shirts to get ostracized.
  • apaтнeт... Huntclan 2012/05/23 05:57:27
    apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope
    "Jesus and Mary"? I thought it was Joseph and Mary...?
  • Huntclan apaтнeт... 2012/05/23 17:11:27
    Huntclan
    Mary Magdalen
  • Helmholtz 2012/05/23 01:42:00
    Good Decision
    Helmholtz
    I'm a fan of the First Amendment.
  • The Libertarian 2012/05/23 00:54:30
    Good Decision
    The Libertarian
    +1
    I support freedom of speech for all and he is right Jesus isn't a homophobe but that doesn't mean Jesus agrees with it.
  • Sean McDonald 2012/05/23 00:22:37
    Good Decision
    Sean McDonald
  • Dave The Canuck 2012/05/23 00:01:21
    Good Decision
    Dave The Canuck
    +1
    Unless the shirt is racist or mean, I don't see a problem.
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/05/22 23:46:03
  • Mr. Smith 2012/05/22 23:35:19
    Good Decision
    Mr. Smith
    +1
    Free speech is free speech. I'd also hope the same people here would support a student wearing a T-shirt with the slogan "Jesus is not a Socialist."
  • Raven 2012/05/22 22:58:01
    Good Decision
    Raven
    +1
    I'm not a religious person, however, I believe everyone should have the right to wear whatever they want. Furthermore, as a lesbian I am happy to see that there are religious people who support us. This decision makes me very happy. I only wish that the fight could have reached the Supreme Court instead of a district court. With our right to free speech, I'm not entirely sure why we even have to argue over this stuff anyways.
  • wildcat 2012/05/22 22:37:11
    Good Decision
    wildcat
    The only correct decision
  • Undead Little Red 2012/05/22 21:39:37
    Good Decision
    Undead Little Red
    How the hell was that "sexual in nature"? That shirt is tamer then a lot of other things kids wear>_<. That said, I'm glad they won this. freedom of speech doesnt always work but in this case its for a damn good cause
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/05/22 21:36:33
    Good Decision
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    Great decision! :)
  • mich52 2012/05/22 21:35:27
  • flyingseaturtle BN 2012/05/22 21:22:10
    Good Decision
    flyingseaturtle BN
    +1
    Freedom of speech ;-)
  • peaches 2012/05/22 21:15:38 (edited)
    Good Decision
    peaches
    +1
    Um, First Amendment. Students have those rights in public schools!
    I'm glad they challenged the school and won the right that should haven't been questioned in the first place (:
    Good Decision
    +2
    The first Amendment of the Freedom of Speech is part and part of our core beliefs. The principal could have made it an example of true freedom of speech but he chose to show his bigotry.

Sad, those that are teaching our students are so unaware of the damage they do by being stupid when if comes to basic civil rights.
  • SceneQueen❤Rose+Rachel❤ 2012/05/22 21:09:12
    Good Decision
    SceneQueen❤Rose+Rachel❤
    +1
    i remember when they were fighting about it. this is so awesome he won!!!!!!!
  • D.C.Verdone 2012/05/22 21:04:22
    Good Decision
    D.C.Verdone
    +1
    That shirt had nothing wrong with it and if kids can wear (it was adam and eve not adam and steve) shirts then he can wear his shirt. Douche bags for trying to say it was indecent.
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/05/22 21:01:41
    Good Decision
    ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★
  • Radlad 2012/05/22 20:32:38
    Good Decision
    Radlad
    Although I agree with the shirt's message I'm not sure what a homosexual wearing it is trying to say. He doesn't want to be a homosexual? Jesus does not fear or hate anyone and welcomes and will forgive all. But Jesus will "straighten" your ass out........

"School officials said the shirt was “indecent and sexual in nature”---------- Schools do not consider homosexuality or anything anti-American or patriotic or anti God, Christ, and religious to be “indecent and sexual in nature” So it must have been that imagined "separation of church and state" thing. Can't have someone walking around wearing an advertisement of something positive about Christianity. That's obviously what they found to be "indecent"........
  • peaches Radlad 2012/05/22 21:19:14
    peaches
    I'd assume he'd be trying to say that he is homosexual and a believer in Jesus Christ, obviously. And so he doesn't believe that God will punish him for being homosexual because Jesus isn't a homophobe and against that lifestyle. I agree with the shirt, and I am a bisexual believer, so that's my answer to your question even though I cannot answer for the boy himself (:
  • Radlad peaches 2012/05/24 10:24:10
    Radlad
    +1
    You may very well be right. I mean where did Jesus hang out? He hung out with beggars, thieves, prostitutes, and outcast. I'm sure homosexuals he considered to be no different. He wants us all on the right path. I may believe but I do believe I'm off the path myself........

It's also real arrogant big headed to presume to speak Jesus and or God. That's how damn bold we humans are. I do tend to think Jesus not for or approved of said lifestyle.
  • peaches Radlad 2012/05/24 20:19:35
    peaches
    +1
    Though I, personally, wouldn't necessarily put homosexuals in the same category as criminals, they were looked upon in the same way to "normal" people of society then, so I suppose you're right. Jesus did love everybody, that's one thing that we should be clear on!
    Everyone strays from the path, it's just how human's are. As long as we acknowledge it and can see the path though, I believe that we are okay (: I do agree!
  • Radlad peaches 2012/05/25 07:36:31
    Radlad
    +1
    The good news is we agree on something. I didn't think about it until I hit submit that I was putting homosexuals in the same class as criminals and other lowlifes and I know the vast majority do not belong in said category. Just like straights there are good guys, bad guys, and guys that just wanna be left alone. My apologies for putting them all in a negative light. Which kinda puts a negative light on me........
  • peaches Radlad 2012/05/26 03:14:26
    peaches
    +1
    Oh, it's fine, no need to apologize... I don't get offended too easily and I grasped your point! Of course there are many labels on everybody more than just "homosexual" "heterosexual" or even "criminal", people sometimes like to ignore those and only focus on certain traits to judge people on...

2014/10/25 00:01:05