Student Kicked Out of College After Watching 'Glee': Fair or Foul?

SodaHead News 2012/04/30 23:00:00
Chris Peterman, a 23-year-old senior at Bob Jones University in South Carolina, was reportedly kicked out of school for watching an episode of "Glee." And he wasn't watching it in class, in his dorm, or anywhere on campus. He was watching it on his laptop at Starbucks. According to Jezebel, he had accumulated a handful of write-ups for 1) trying to start a group "aimed at ending sexual abuse," 2) showing up late to his dorm and 3) not shaving. The school says "Glee" was not the reason they expelled him, but Peterson says it was the last straw.

glee

Bob Jones students are not permitted to watch television on campus, and while off campus there are still guidelines they must abide by. The handbook reads, "Students are to avoid any types of entertainment that could be considered immodest or that contain profanity, scatological realism, sexual perversion, erotic realism, lurid violence, occultism and false philosophical or religious assumptions." Do you think it was fair for the school to kick Peterson out?

• mm61675 2012/05/01 01:16:01
    Fair
    mm61675
    +18
    if that's the rules...............who the f would ever go to this college?!?! sounds like a prison

• Libertarian NOT Conservative 2012/05/02 17:21:31
    Fair
    Libertarian NOT Conservative
    +3
    While I think the rules (as described in this synopsis) lean towards the absurd, Mr. Peterman made the choice to enroll in this particular University and, therefore, agreed to abide by their rules. If he found the rules so odious, he could have made a different choice regarding his higher education. In the context of those (absurd) rules to which he agreed but continued to violate, what the school did was entirely "fair."
  • jimf 2012/05/02 17:19:23
    Foul
    jimf
    If a school has draconian rules like these; "Students are to avoid any types of entertainment that could be considered immodest or that contain profanity, scatological realism, sexual perversion, erotic realism, lurid violence, occultism and false philosophical or religious assumptions." Boycot it!
  • boltfox20 2012/05/02 16:45:05
    Foul
    boltfox20
    +4
    Again, SodaHead... THIRD OPTION! The world is not so black and white!

Let's look over the rules and reasons again, shall we?

[1) trying to start a group "aimed at ending sexual abuse"]

... This is a bad thing? Where I come from, this guy would get a medal and an honorable mention in the news paper.

[2) showing up late to his dorm]

Big deal. So he got home late. He's 23, I'm pretty sure he's allowed. As long as his GPA doesn't suffer and he doesn't make the school look bad, he is not harming anyone by staying out late.

[3) not shaving]

Big deal! So he wanted a beard? Who was this hurting? Were the other students getting distracted by his new found manliness? Were the GPAs of the female students dropping due to the beastly nature of his face? here the male students forming a beard cult out of jealousy for his chin stubble?

Somehow, I doubt it. And unless such extremes where occurring, there should be no penalty for not shaving, in any school.

[4) watching Glee]

I'm not a fan of the show, but I also don't see the harm in it. A bunch of teens in glee club having fun and playing songs, sometimes making really good remixes or mash ups that they can actually sell, what's the big deal? If the school was smart, they'd use this to their advantage and try to make their own Glee...

[2) showing up late to his dorm]

[3) not shaving]

[4) watching Glee]

I'm not a fan of the show, but I also don't see the harm in it. A bunch of teens in glee club having fun and playing songs, sometimes making really good remixes or mash ups that they can actually sell, what's the big deal? If the school was smart, they'd use this to their advantage and try to make their own Glee club, perhaps based around the show in order to encourage more people to express themselves. It certainly is not a reason to expel someone, last straw or otherwise.

So, now that we know the reasons are bogus, let's look at that final part.

[Bob Jones students are not permitted to watch television on campus, and while off campus there are still guidelines they must abide by.]

No, there aren't. I don't care what school you are, when the students are off campus, they are living their own lives and you cannot control them. They are human beings and they have the right to do whatever they want within the local law.

[The handbook reads, "Students are to avoid any types of entertainment that could be considered immodest]

Hmm... immodest. Let's look up that one.

Immodest
    Lacking humility or decency.

Well, Glee covers that one. There is a great deal of humility and decency. In fact, pretty much the entire show is about that, from what I gather. The Glee members are always trying to earn respect to be treated with decency and pretty much everyone on the show learns humility from time to time when their ambitions outweigh their abilities.

Next.

[or that contain profanity]

Congratulations, you just removed everything but Barney the Dinosaur and other such kids shows. Profanity is a part of the language. I don't swear for my own reasons, but I don't prevent others from doing so if that is a part of their vocabulary. They are just words, they can't harm you.

[scatological realism]

... What?

Scatological
    Dealing pruriently with excrement and excretory functions; "scatological literature".

... So, bodily functions are out? There goes pretty much every show again. It's called reality. We all have to deal with it sometime. Heaven forbid we try to add some humor to our natural functions or actually show them occurring by the mere suggestion of them happening.

[sexual perversion]

Ah, and we come to the real reason, I'll wager. What exactly is the definition of sexual perversion, hmm?

Sexual Perversion
    Sexual behavior or desire that is considered abnormal or unacceptable.

Homophobic, much? There's a gay kid. Whoop-dee-doo. It's not like his homosexuality is going to cause your entire student body to become gay. And what if it did? Who cares! It harms no one. They would simply be happy with a different partner. It's not up to any school to decide what is normal or natural.

Bottom line, is the student gay? Probably not, as the odds are against it. Does it matter? Definitely not. So who cares? Get off your moral high horse and realize that there are many kinds of people in the world, not just the Arian race.

[erotic realism]

You're all adults there, right? This is a college. The few underage people that might be there are all mature enough to be considered adults. Otherwise, they wouldn't be there. And if that is your concern, then don't allow minors into your university. Your students are human. "Erotic Realism" occurs in their day to day lives. You can accept it, you can regulate it in the spirit of furthering the GPA, but you cannot ban it. You can try, but it simply won't happen.

[lurid violence]

Again, what's the big deal? Some people can take extreme violence, others can't. Let those who don't mind watch things that contain it.

Are you aware of how much "lurid violence" is in educational material? Why aren't you prohibiting that? it's okay to learn about it as long as you're not entertained as well?

[occultism]

So magic is out too, eh? There goes the witch burnings from the curriculum. Oh, right, we can learn, we just can't have fun. Heaven forbid we allow Harry Potter to warp the student's minds.

[false philosophical or religious assumptions."]

Which would be... what? This can be worded in two different ways, neither of which are good.

False philosophical assumptions or religious assumptions.

And.

False philosophical assumptions or false religious assumptions.

The first is banning philosophical debate as well as anything religious. The second is banning philosophical debate and anything religious except what they deem to be true, and I'm pretty sure that's the one they are going for.

Bob Jones University is a Christian university. As such, they have banned anything that might even remotely suggest that their religion is wrong. Thus, nothing that would upset them is allowed, nothing that might accidentally take their lord's name in vein is allowed, and certainly no homosexuality is EVER allowed.

Build Faith.
    Challenge Potential.
    Follow Christ.

That's their mission statement. Only one out of the three has anything to do with actual education. The other two, 2/3s of the statement, is simply furthering their own religious agendas.

Chris Peterman, be grateful you were expelled. Now you have a chance to apply to a REAL university, one that will actually teach you about reality, not make believe. One that sees no difference between the magic of the "occult" and the magic of christianity. One that is aware of Glee being a positive influence on students, not a negative one. One that doesn't think you are trying to summon Satan's horde every time you play Magic the Gathering.

This is your chance to see the world for what it really is. Don't waste it.
  • weenyboy 2012/05/02 16:35:28
    Fair
    weenyboy
    If one choses to go to an EXTREME Right-Wing leaning, Bible-Thumping "school", then one should not complain when becoming victimized by that same institution! How CRAZY must a person be to even CONSIDER such a place when looking for a TRUE EDUCATION and NOT Right-Wing brain-washing...... I see justice served here!
  • mikeyavelli 2012/05/02 16:10:08
    Foul
    mikeyavelli
    but @ 23 years old, he may have been expelled for other reasons too. he's old enough to date sue sylvester.
  • DavidKyles 2012/05/02 15:24:58
    Fair
    DavidKyles
    +2
    Sounds like the rules were made plain in advance, and the program he was watching does fall within those parameters of unsanctioned material, but...I'm with mm61675. Who would knowingly go to this school with such unreasonably strict standards?
  • LeroyRogers 2012/05/02 15:07:54
    Fair
    LeroyRogers
    +5
    Anyone that would watch "Glee" should be kicked off the planet.
  • BrianD3 LeroyRo... 2012/05/02 16:14:03
  • boltfox20 LeroyRo... 2012/05/02 16:47:10
    boltfox20
    Because they're watching a show you don't like?
  • LeroyRo... boltfox20 2012/05/02 18:01:53
    LeroyRogers
    +1
    Did you have a sense of humor bypass?
  • boltfox20 LeroyRo... 2012/05/02 21:33:39
    boltfox20
    No, I was just covering a base. There are many people online who do seriously think in this manner. If you don't, and this was proclaimed in jest, then I have no objection to you or your statement.
  • LeroyRo... boltfox20 2012/05/02 21:42:43
    LeroyRogers
    +1
    I believe in freedom of speech and choice. If I don't like something, I'm free to either change the channel, or turn it off. Only closed-minded people call for the immediate removal of a show, and call for boycotts of the sponser, of something they don't like.
  • Mz Understood 2012/05/02 14:43:39
    Fair
    Mz Understood
    +2
    ONLY because he knew the rules and he chose to break them.
    Frankly, I think this school is a bit much. I mean, they're entitled to have their rules but people need to be allowed to think for themselves. In the long run, seems like they did him a favor. IMO.
  • Aksana 2012/05/02 14:42:11
    Fair
    Aksana
  • ebitnet 2012/05/02 14:24:06
    Fair
    ebitnet
    +3
    Last I checked, Bob Jones University doesn't go around and force people to attend. So, if Mr. Peterman doesn't agree with the rules of behavior--he's free to go somewhere else.
    Why did HE choose to go to BJU ? I certainly would not have gone there, nor will I send my children there since I want them to get a real university education. I'm sure any normal university would love to have his tuition dollars and encourage him do 1, 2 & 3.
  • Sean 2012/05/02 14:02:10
    Foul
    Sean
    Glee is a completely suck ass show, but that was a bit harsh.
  • MICHALIA Sean 2012/05/02 15:19:22
    MICHALIA
    glee is crap with everyone going around singing and giving everybody they like passionate kisses it completely nonsense the person that made that show should be kicked off the planet
  • oros 2012/05/02 13:18:14
    Foul
    oros
    The place sounds Foul they did him a favor a school for nutters.
  • MICHALIA oros 2012/05/02 15:20:43
    MICHALIA
    +1
    maybe there's another side to the story than they let out
  • oros MICHALIA 2012/05/03 04:23:09
    oros
    Good point there usually is not so.
  • Coasterdude02149 2012/05/02 12:42:56
    Foul
    Coasterdude02149
    +1
    What he does on his own time is his own business as long as it's not illegal and WTF kind of school is this with those kinds of rules? Not shaving is reason for expulsion?
  • quanesha.henderson 2012/05/02 11:54:18
    Foul
    quanesha.henderson
    He should be able to watch whatever he want the man is grown who are you to tell him he can't watch glee
  • Cognito22 quanesh... 2012/05/02 12:45:49 (edited)
    Cognito22
    +1
    He wasn't denied the ability to watch 'whatever he want'.
    In fact, he demonstrated that ability by watching something he agreed not to.
    The college acknowledges that ability in not allowing it.
    He enrolled in a college that had rules and he agreed to them.
    He broke that contract with the university.
    And despite the erroneous popular concept to the contrary, we are responsible for "whatever" we do.
    I have the 'ability' to piss in public. But most places don't allow that.
  • RogerCoppock 2012/05/02 11:29:44 (edited)
    Foul
    RogerCoppock
    +2
    "Bob Jones University" is a reactionary nut house, a Christian version of an Islamic Madrassa. They ban interracial dating. The students guard the campus with loaded automatic weapons. Instruction consists of rote memorization of the Bible. CBS news interviewed several students and all said that they felt like prisoners. They were there because their parents would not let them go anywhere else.

It's no wonder that a student is kicked out for watching 'Glee.' The series has homosexual characters.
  • James B... RogerCo... 2012/05/02 11:53:13
    James Burton
    +2
    Yeah, we all hear your sarcasm!!!
  • James B... James B... 2012/05/02 11:54:05
    James Burton
    +2
    They actually do neither of the first two items!
  • RogerCo... James B... 2012/05/02 12:52:31 (edited)
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    They do those things and more.

http://www.thehistorybluff.co...
  • Cognito22 RogerCo... 2012/05/02 16:40:48
    Cognito22
    Urban Legends About Bob Jones University.

http://www.troyandjessica.com...

You might want to submit your own 'urban legend' about BJU being guarded with 'automatic weapons'.
  • RogerCo... Cognito22 2012/05/03 00:32:24
    RogerCoppock
    CBS filmed student guards with automatic weapons.
  • BrianD3 RogerCo... 2012/05/02 16:15:03
    BrianD3
    so much for that liberal tolerance huh?
  • Che Guevara - Hero 2012/05/02 11:25:56
    Fair
    Che Guevara - Hero
    Anyone dumb enough to attend the University of South Carolina should be kicked out of college. lol
  • MICHALIA Che Gue... 2012/05/02 15:23:29
    MICHALIA
    +1
    not out of college off the GOD DAME PLANET
  • BrianD3 MICHALIA 2012/05/02 16:15:45
    BrianD3
    so much for liberal tolerance then
  • RyanH 2012/05/02 09:52:35
    Fair
    RyanH
    +1
    Its the guy's own dumb ass fault for attending that college in the first place. I say kick him out, he's the one that agreed to the rules in the first place!
  • DavidKyles RyanH 2012/05/02 15:31:56
    DavidKyles
    I agree about kicking him out, but after someone else posted it, I realize he may not have had a say in where he goes to college. This turn of events will atleast give him the freedom to make his own choice in his education, if that were the case.
  • BrianD3 DavidKyles 2012/05/02 16:16:18
    BrianD3
    if he is an adult he has plenty of say.
  • BrianD3 RyanH 2012/05/02 16:15:59
    BrianD3
    I totally agree
    Fair
    +1
    If you don't agree with the rules of a private university, go to one where you do!
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/05/02 06:27:45
    Fair
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    Hear me out...
    If this was a normal university, I'd say "fair", but this is a private religious institution... they're entitled to rules as strange as they please... even if I think they're complete nut-jobs.
  • RogerCo... Inquisi... 2012/05/02 11:33:14
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    The phrase, "private religious institution," hardly describes Bob Jones University. A better phrase might be, "training camp for future Christian suicide bombers."

2014/04/18 23:28:17