Student Kicked Out of College After Watching 'Glee': Fair or Foul?

Chris Peterman, a 23-year-old senior at Bob Jones University in South Carolina, was reportedly kicked out of school for watching an episode of "Glee." And he wasn't watching it in class, in his dorm, or anywhere on campus. He was watching it on his laptop at Starbucks. According to Jezebel, he had accumulated a handful of write-ups for 1) trying to start a group "aimed at ending sexual abuse," 2) showing up late to his dorm and 3) not shaving. The school says "Glee" was not the reason they expelled him, but Peterson says it was the last straw.

Bob Jones students are not permitted to watch television on campus, and while off campus there are still guidelines they must abide by. The handbook reads, "Students are to avoid any types of entertainment that could be considered immodest or that contain profanity, scatological realism, sexual perversion, erotic realism, lurid violence, occultism and false philosophical or religious assumptions." Do you think it was fair for the school to kick Peterson out?

• mm61675 2012/05/01 01:16:01
    Fair
    mm61675
    +18
    if that's the rules...............who the f would ever go to this college?!?! sounds like a prison

• Juan Iota 2012/05/02 01:35:04
    Foul
    Juan Iota
    I highly doubt that we are hearing the whole story, but as long as you provide credible citations, I would love to klnow the rationale for this alleged amazing decision to expel this kid.
  • ☆FritzW☆ 2012/05/02 01:14:50
    Fair
    ☆FritzW☆
    +7
    I voted fair only because he wasn't kicked out because of the Glee episode... he was kicked out because he didn't adhere to school policy! Come on.. numerous write-ups was the reason for the expulsion. He made his bed and now he's got to sleep on it, but then again.. that means taking responsibility for his action! There's the problem!
  • BrianD3 ☆FritzW☆ 2012/05/02 16:31:35
    BrianD3
    good point, too many people get angry when there are consequences to bad choices. He screwed up, he should man up.
  • Nameless 2012/05/02 00:53:56
    Fair
    Nameless
    +5
    Unfortunately, when students attend schools like Bob Jones University, Liberty University and such they know the rules when they go. Maybe this young man will go to a school where he will be appreciated. This is a blessing for him.
  • serena moon 2012/05/02 00:44:22
    Foul
    serena moon
    +2
    is a very stupid thing to do,and punishing someone for not shaving is even more stupid where are we going and even if where watching glee in his dorm is he' decision
  • Juan Iota serena ... 2012/05/02 01:50:41
    Juan Iota
    +1
    Bob Jones University (BJU) is a PRIVATE, for-profit,[2] non-denominational Protestant university in Greenville, South Carolina.[3]

• metalmike13- Trust No One 2012/05/02 00:35:18
    Foul
    metalmike13- Trust No One
    +2
    Sounds like an indoctrination camp.
  • Nameless metalmi... 2012/05/02 00:54:43
    Nameless
    Bob Jones University might as well be.
  • RobHom Nameless 2012/05/02 01:39:26
    RobHom
    +1
    It is....
  • metalmi... Nameless 2012/05/03 00:58:40
    metalmike13- Trust No One
    Glad I am not college age any more nor would I have submitted to those extreme rules.
  • RobHom metalmi... 2012/05/02 01:38:40
    RobHom
    +1
    It is.....
  • metalmi... RobHom 2012/05/03 00:58:53
  • RobHom metalmi... 2012/05/03 01:10:03
    RobHom
    +1
    Yes it is.
  • BrianD3 metalmi... 2012/05/02 16:33:08
    BrianD3
    some people express their religion in very restrictive and regulated ways. Take monks and nuns as good examples. It is apparent that this school was not a good choice for the kid, but it was his choice.
  • metalmi... BrianD3 2012/05/03 00:57:50
    metalmike13- Trust No One
    I guess the kid made a bad choice. I can still disagree with stupid rules though. I mean really? Kicking a kid out school for watching a program? Sounds like a nazi prison camp. More fanatacism from the extreme right.
  • BrianD3 metalmi... 2012/05/03 11:48:06
    BrianD3
    there were many reasons for his removal as outlined in the article
  • metalmi... BrianD3 2012/05/04 00:43:05
    metalmike13- Trust No One
    I can still think stupid rules are stupid rules. Yes the kid was stupid for going there, but he made the choice.

Imagine being a college age kid and watching Glee in your dorm room. Your buddies would raze you enough that the school would not have to do anything.
  • RobHom BrianD3 2012/05/03 01:12:11
    RobHom
    But Catholic clergy, be they Priests, Nuns, Brothers, Monks, or even Deacons...all take vows...and they know precisely what the vow means...

But I doubt the Vatican would ostracise a member of the clergy for watching Glee....

There's a big difference, and comparing the two is like comparing an apple to a kumquat.
  • BrianD3 RobHom 2012/05/03 11:49:11
    BrianD3
    +1
    there were other reasons the article mentions for the kids removal and yes, if they failed to follow the rules of their order then there would be negative sanctions.
  • RobHom BrianD3 2012/05/04 01:52:23
    RobHom
    True enough, but for watching Glee as the straw that broke the camels back.... my my....seems they seek out trite reasons.

Again, true enough, but even still, expulsion from a Catholic religious order takes a bit more than watching Glee...or a couple of other minor infractions.
  • Joanna the Great 2012/05/02 00:30:53
    Fair
    Joanna the Great
    +6
    It's in the school rules..

But, pray tell, WHY did this guy want to be in this school anyways? If he wants to let his facial hair grow and watch glee, go to a NORMAL University.
  • GLaDOS 2012/05/02 00:21:35 (edited)
    Fair
    GLaDOS
    +3
    If that is the rules, then it's acceptable. However, I find it a little ridiculous that he was kicked out for watching 'Glee.' I suppose I can understand if it's a very strictly anti-gay school. Cause, I don't see much else along the lines of sexual perversion in it.

*reads about the Uni* Oh... it's a WASP college! Okay, that explains it.
  • Juan Iota GLaDOS 2012/05/02 01:37:08
    Juan Iota
    +1
    Nope, worse: Southern Baptist?
  • GLaDOS Juan Iota 2012/05/02 10:40:05
    GLaDOS
    +1
    According to the wiki site for it, it's a Protestant college.
  • Juan Iota GLaDOS 2012/05/10 16:21:07
    Juan Iota
    I was kidding.... The first thing everyone here in Georgia says is "southern Baptist" as an excuse for everything wrong, and everything right LOL
  • GLaDOS Juan Iota 2012/05/10 17:23:27
    GLaDOS
    +1
    Ahhh. lol
  • writing_fanatic 2012/05/02 00:19:17
    Fair
    writing_fanatic
    +5
    It's the rules. They're silly ones, but they're the rules.
  • huttyputt 2012/05/01 23:32:45
    Foul
    huttyputt
    +4
    What the hell is a bob jones university. If somebody came to me with a "degree" from something like that I am not sure whether I would laugh him out of the building or have him thrown out. The guy is 23 years old which makes him of legal age. He wasn't even on "college" proprrty. Am I missing something here?
  • Heidi 2012/05/01 23:26:19
    Foul
    Heidi
    +3
    What does watching Glee and not shaving have to do with education? And Bob Jones University needs a group started with a focus on sexual abuse.
  • BrianD3 Heidi 2012/05/02 16:34:55
    BrianD3
    except that his definition of sexual abuse was discrimination against homos, which would seem pretty normal considering the university he chose.
  • Paranormal♥Spirit 2012/05/01 23:19:52
    Foul
    Paranormal♥Spirit
    +1
    That's dumb. He wasn't even at school. How can they expel him from something that didn't even happen on campus? Ridiculous!
  • BrianD3 Paranor... 2012/05/02 16:35:52
    BrianD3
    he agreed to the rules, he broke the rules. It is THEIR private college. They can toss him if he demonstrates that he does not belong and he did that, repeatedly.
  • SK-pro impeachment 2012/05/01 22:52:22
    Fair
    SK-pro impeachment
    +2
    If he couldn't cut living by the rules he should have left on his own, instead of crying like a glee school girl and making an issue out of it.
  • BrianD3 SK-pro ... 2012/05/02 16:36:18
    BrianD3
    +1
    typical liberal, he screws up but it is sombody elses fault
  • Kigan 2012/05/01 22:49:18 (edited)
    Fair
    Kigan
    +4
    Ok...first things first: What the hell is the guy's name? Is it Peterman, or is it Peterson?

The rules sound fairly stupid...but if he broke them, whatever. I personally don't think the university has any business regulating what a student watches off campus and I would never go to a college like this, regardless of any prestige they may have.

Further, it appears the student is the one claiming he was kicked out for watching this show. Might want a grain of salt to go with that.

At any rate, I feel sorry for his brain cells. They are receiving conflicting input with his going to college making them smarter and then torturing them by watching Glee.
  • Flyingbug 2012/05/01 22:48:07
    Foul
    Flyingbug
    +2
    He was off-campus when this happened. The school should not be able to control everything that happens off-campus.
  • Jericho 2012/05/01 22:46:27
    Fair
    Jericho
    +3
    A private institution has a right to it's rules and regulations. You, by virtue of desiring and accepting the responsibility of attending there, accept the conditions by which you agree to attend a private college. Whether you think it's strict, immoral, etc., is of no consequence, it is fair because you agreed to the terms when you signed on the dotted line. People want the ability to choose without accepting the consequences of their choice. There are plenty of other Christian, Private, and Public Colleges that have looser guidelines. You want that, go there. You cannot claim it unfair for a student who breaks the code of ethics of that school to not be punished. That would be foul.
  • jthomps... Jericho 2012/05/01 23:20:08
    jthompsonhauck
    +1
    Ethics is one thing, but encouraging people to report on each other & stab each other in the back doesn't prepare a student for getting along in the real world. By being a jealous, high-handed vindictive control-freak to your fellow citizen, you're not building character, you're just setting yourself up for the anguish of a lifetime of constant failure in a world that embraces diversity of thought and action.
  • jthomps... jthomps... 2012/05/02 05:02:53
    jthompsonhauck
    you all saw/heard the backlash at the off-the-cuff "slut" comment made by Newt Gingrich on the radio. this is the kind of hate-speech this "school" openly entices/incites towards the rest of the world.
  • Jericho jthomps... 2012/05/03 01:16:50 (edited)
    Jericho
    This again is regulating certain speech. You adhere to less diversity of thought and action than you think you do, not saying you are wrong in the Newt Gingrich reference in particular, though I personally am against anything labeled as Hate Speech--without parameters--because anything, even one adhering to ones beliefs in speaking with someone respectfully could be determined as Hate Speech, and that goes against the Heart of the First Amendment.

2014/08/28 15:24:16