Student Kicked Out of College After Watching 'Glee': Fair or Foul?

Chris Peterman, a 23-year-old senior at Bob Jones University in South Carolina, was reportedly kicked out of school for watching an episode of "Glee." And he wasn't watching it in class, in his dorm, or anywhere on campus. He was watching it on his laptop at Starbucks. According to Jezebel, he had accumulated a handful of write-ups for 1) trying to start a group "aimed at ending sexual abuse," 2) showing up late to his dorm and 3) not shaving. The school says "Glee" was not the reason they expelled him, but Peterson says it was the last straw.

Bob Jones students are not permitted to watch television on campus, and while off campus there are still guidelines they must abide by. The handbook reads, "Students are to avoid any types of entertainment that could be considered immodest or that contain profanity, scatological realism, sexual perversion, erotic realism, lurid violence, occultism and false philosophical or religious assumptions." Do you think it was fair for the school to kick Peterson out?

• mm61675 2012/05/01 01:16:01
    Fair
    mm61675
    +18
    if that's the rules...............who the f would ever go to this college?!?! sounds like a prison

• Padding... sglmom 2012/05/04 09:23:18
  • sglmom Padding... 2012/05/04 09:56:02
    Oh, dearie me .. is that a problem I see with a specific ..
    "Christianity"?

I've seen much .. I know much ..
    Too many take for granted their ability to be FREE to make choices in life ..

(sneer? Oh, my .. wish you knew how MY Fellow Servicemembers .. my FRIENDS .. were Tortured and died .. )

My thoughts are indeed freely given .. my own indeed ..
    (that is the responsibility of a FREE Citizen .. someone who has dared to live this life .. through these times)

Too bad .. so sad ..
    when I see someone so 'focused' ..
    on diminishing others ..
    with such intensity ..
    for they've concentrated on Mindless Minituae
    and FORGOTTEN ..
    the BIG Picture ..
    the complexities that form the WHOLE of the problem indeed ..
  • Padding... sglmom 2012/05/04 11:03:37
  • sglmom Padding... 2012/05/05 05:57:28
    ROFLMAO ..
    Mayhap one day .. the eyes will be opened ..
    (I don't wish that any one would lose friends the horrific way that mine own were tortured and killed)
    It is funny though .. someone so familiar with being indoctrinated .. would use that word to describe those far more experienced in life ..
  • Padding... sglmom 2012/05/05 21:57:22
  • sglmom Padding... 2012/05/06 07:56:44
    Oh dearie me ..
    Quite the hilarious attempt ..
    Sadly .. this was expected ..
    Mayhap in a few years ..
    You'll gain some understanding ..
  • Padding... sglmom 2012/05/04 11:05:17
  • Padding... Padding... 2012/05/06 13:49:36
  • KendraT... sglmom 2012/05/01 11:36:50
    KendraTaylor
    You can't have a good college experience without social interactions. Many of great careers have been given to graduate students due to the connections they made in college. I feel so bad for you if you went to a school where they told you what to think, and you thought that.
  • BrianD3 KendraT... 2012/05/01 11:53:25
    BrianD3
    +1
    this school was set up with particular values and traditions, the boy should not have chose to go there if he did not agree with them
  • KendraT... BrianD3 2012/05/01 15:31:39
    KendraTaylor
    I'm sure if the strict rules were on their mainpage and mission statement, perhaps there would've been some truth to your statement. Secondly, there's most likely outside forces not included in this article that is responsible for both he and others to attend this prison they call a school.
  • BrianD3 KendraT... 2012/05/01 15:48:45
    BrianD3
    +1
    http://www.bju.edu/student-li...

in the handbook all students recieve and which is open to review by prospective students and the public they make their policies and intent quite clear.
  • KendraT... BrianD3 2012/05/02 09:58:45
    KendraTaylor
    Oh, that it does. I stand corrected."Physical Contact On and off campus, physical contact between men and women students is not allowed."...Reading this scares the hell out of me
  • BrianD3 KendraT... 2012/05/02 11:55:07
    BrianD3
    monks make similar choices in their education and their pursuit of what they feel is holy. Do you dislike monks? would you react to the story different if it were a monk that broke the rules?

How about nuns? Nuns can choose to live under harsh and restrictive rules. Do you hate nuns? would you react to this story different if it were about a nun that broke her orders rules?

The most basic facts with regards to this story it that the boy chose to be there (does not matter if you agree with the rules or not) and the boy chose to accept those rules and the boy broke the rules.
  • sglmom KendraT... 2012/05/01 15:29:22
    +1
    ROFLMAO .. how sad indeed to read your reply ..

First of all ..
    MY LIFE is my own ..
    I've been RESPONSIBLE too ..

It is called being an ADULT ..
    It is called being on Military Duty Too ..
    I've had to WORK .. you know .. pay my own way ..
    And take these classes on off-duty time ..
    (and while deployed/TDY ..)
    Around all my Responsibilities
    (including going to Grad School and writing my thesis just as I was having my children too .. I worked around the time I was in the hospital giving birth .. )

I am VERY PROUD of the fact that I EARNED my Degrees ..
    I did NOT gather DEEP DEBT ..
    I've been able to pay my own bills and stand on my own two feet
    MY UGrad/Grad Programs served me well and allowed me to Retire more than once too ..
    I've not ever been irresponsible ..
    I've even provided for my family ..
    AND .. thanks to MY Military Service AND Careers .. I've networked EXTENSIVELY

What is pathetic .. is the constant partying and tossing the great OPPORTUNITIES away by bad choices ...
  • BrianD3 sglmom 2012/05/01 15:50:12
    BrianD3
    +2
    apparently liberals dont like people acting ot being treated like adults. This student made a choice to attend a school with a restrictive set of policies. I do not believe that there were bars on the windows and armed guards keeping him there...
  • sglmom BrianD3 2012/05/01 15:55:53
    +1
    Exactly ..
  • Padding... BrianD3 2012/05/01 16:01:46
  • BrianD3 Padding... 2012/05/01 16:09:42
    BrianD3
    +1
    adults recognize that there are consequences to their choices, this student is not acting like an adult
  • Padding... BrianD3 2012/05/02 13:05:20
  • BrianD3 Padding... 2012/05/02 13:43:02
    BrianD3
    it is their right and their freedom to believe as they wish. If the guy dissagreed with their beliefs he should have not chose to go there. I would not choose to go there
  • Padding... BrianD3 2012/05/02 14:03:26
  • BrianD3 Padding... 2012/05/02 14:44:57
    BrianD3
    my statement about adults recognizing that there is consequences was in support of and an affirmation of your comment.
  • Padding... BrianD3 2012/05/02 15:54:01
  • KendraT... sglmom 2012/05/02 13:15:57
    KendraTaylor
    How empty is your life where you have to be borderline spastic to type some words in caps lock. Do you think that conveys your level of volume or what.
  • sglmom KendraT... 2012/05/03 00:40:31
    Another who has lost .. dearie me ..
    (Personal attacks .. lose all the time in comments)

BUT .. here's information you don't even consider at all ..
    BLIND individuals are on this site ..
    I AM one of them ..
    CAPS help the VISION IMPAIRED to be able to 'read' comfortably
    (many smaller letters can NOT be distinguished between)
    MY style of input
    Is determined by the Speech to Text
    I speak a thought
    Review it
    then direct the posting ..
    SIGNED ..
    BLIND individual .. who does ENJOY being on SH
  • KendraT... sglmom 2012/05/03 09:47:53
    KendraTaylor
    While I applaud you for being able to read this article and post your own despite your visual impairment -i'm guessing you're not fully blind, or else this article would have to be in brail- but I disagrree with your opinion..and with opinions, they're hard to change. So I'll stick to my statements and bid you adieu.
  • sglmom KendraT... 2012/05/03 09:52:18
    +1
    Sigh .. try again ..
    Blind persons .. ARE on-line ..
    Don't need "Sight" to post or READ (via the adaptive equipment) what is there too ..

Bottom line ..

An Awareness of the Disabled community and their ABILITIES is a good thing ..

and there's a basic LACK here ..
    of a BASIC Concept ..
    when an ADULT ..
    Adults need to take responsibility for their choices in life .
    Choose to IGNORE the rules you signed up for ..
    Take the CONSEQUENCES in stride
    (and yes, do take them as an ADULT .. period)
  • KendraT... sglmom 2012/05/07 20:13:19
    KendraTaylor
    +1
    I can agree with that on the whole.
  • KendraT... Beat Ma... 2012/05/01 11:35:31
    KendraTaylor
    My god...that sounds like hell! I'm glad you escaped while you did.
  • Steve 2012/05/01 04:24:14
    Fair
    Steve
    +3
    Those are the rules but it sounds like Jesus himself would have been expelled for reason #3.
  • Pooua 2012/05/01 04:23:51
    Fair
    Pooua
    +5
    People go to a military service academy for the discipline and excellence it instills. People join the Marines because they are "The few," the most rigorously tested physically of the military branches. Likewise, Christians go to Christian colleges like Bob Jones University to learn discipline, to become the best that a Christian might be. Bob Jones once said that his goal was to present a picture window of Christianity to the world. BJU is a sort of Christian finishing school. Disciplined living, 24/7, is a hallmark of the school.
  • Beat Ma... Pooua 2012/05/01 06:13:04
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    The military is an employer, so people get a paycheck and benefits (retirement, health, life insurance, GI Bill) for playing by the rules.

These private colleges with their draconian rules take money from their students and then tell then micromanage their lives.

I would doubt that even Bob Jones himself is this legalistic.
  • Torchma... Beat Ma... 2012/05/01 11:55:22
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Draconian is child sacrifice.....abortion.
  • Padding... Torchma... 2012/05/02 13:08:02
  • ♥♥♥AznGurl92♥♥♥ 2012/05/01 04:21:59
    Foul
    ♥♥♥AznGurl92♥♥♥
    THIS IS STUPID!!! WHY WOULD YOU KICK STUDENTS OUT JUST BECAUSE THEY WATCH GLEE?! WTF!! WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?! NEXT THING WE KNOW, IS SCHOOLS BANNING COMPUTERS!!!
  • Pooua ♥♥♥AznG... 2012/05/01 04:28:28
    Pooua
    +3
    Television rots the mind. One symptom is typing in all caps.
  • ♥♥♥AznG... Pooua 2012/05/01 05:26:10
    ♥♥♥AznGurl92♥♥♥
    Uhhh, who cares if i type in all caps.
  • Beat Ma... ♥♥♥AznG... 2012/05/01 06:13:36
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    It's how we know you're yelling on the internet. XD
  • BrianD3 ♥♥♥AznG... 2012/05/01 12:28:23
    BrianD3
    there was more to that if you read some of the article and those were rules that he was aware of and chose to accept.

2014/09/17 07:31:55