Student Kicked Out of College After Watching 'Glee': Fair or Foul?

Chris Peterman, a 23-year-old senior at Bob Jones University in South Carolina, was reportedly kicked out of school for watching an episode of "Glee." And he wasn't watching it in class, in his dorm, or anywhere on campus. He was watching it on his laptop at Starbucks. According to Jezebel, he had accumulated a handful of write-ups for 1) trying to start a group "aimed at ending sexual abuse," 2) showing up late to his dorm and 3) not shaving. The school says "Glee" was not the reason they expelled him, but Peterson says it was the last straw.

Bob Jones students are not permitted to watch television on campus, and while off campus there are still guidelines they must abide by. The handbook reads, "Students are to avoid any types of entertainment that could be considered immodest or that contain profanity, scatological realism, sexual perversion, erotic realism, lurid violence, occultism and false philosophical or religious assumptions." Do you think it was fair for the school to kick Peterson out?

• mm61675 2012/05/01 01:16:01
    Fair
    mm61675
    +18
    if that's the rules...............who the f would ever go to this college?!?! sounds like a prison

• Arse-Whole 2012/05/01 05:18:32
    Fair
    Arse-Whole
    +3
    He knew the rules and broke them... repeatedly, apparently.
  • Beat Ma... Arse-Whole 2012/05/01 06:02:19
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    Some rules were written to be broken. I agree with the sentiment of your statement, but this is purely asinine. I would never attend a school like this, nor would I ever send my kids there.
  • Arse-Whole Beat Ma... 2012/05/01 06:19:27
    Arse-Whole
    +3
    You don't have to. But he went there knowing what he was in for. I wouldn't send my kid there either but he is no victim. He's just got a liberal press spinning his misconduct as injustice.
  • BrianD3 Beat Ma... 2012/05/01 11:49:01
    BrianD3
    he chose to be there, he chose to place himself under those restrictions, no one is to blame but him
  • cmvanderwallbrown 2012/05/01 05:15:10
    Foul
    cmvanderwallbrown
    +1
    Geez. As a Christian, that behavior is absolutely crazy from a university.

Is it strictly legal? Who knows? I have troubles believing they could legitimately kick someone out for that, but it's entirely possible. I'm not a civil rights scholar so I am not sure. From a moral ethical level, it's total and complete BS. Get a life people... stop wasting our time on the pointless dribble. I mean... Glee isn't exactly using the school network to watch porn. O.o
  • BrianD3 cmvande... 2012/05/01 11:49:48
    BrianD3
    The school is allowed to believe what they want (this is still America) and he is free to choose ANY other school to attend
  • cmvande... BrianD3 2012/05/04 02:52:46
    cmvanderwallbrown
    Provided this is a free nation (it being America does not mean America is still a "free and equal state" if ever it was). I cannot attend any school I wish merely based upon which values they hold. Also, there is a necessary separation of church and state in America provided by the 1st Amendment. Unless a college or university is completely private and not beholden in any way to government (something that can be altered based upon compact and statute), the school is NOT allowed to perform actions that discriminate against a person. What a student chooses to do in their own time is their own business, however, requesting students follow a contractually agreed upon set of standards is legal, provided the college or university does not take any federal, state or local funding. If they do they are in fact public and are prohibited from discrimination based upon a variety of standards.

The fine line between regulation and personal opinion is thin and shrinking daily, but when I claimed it was dependent upon law, I was speaking from fact. It depends upon the laws of the land and whether the college is private or otherwise. Harvard, regardless of what they claim, is not a private school. It is a mostly private institution, but Harvard does take from the public trust. This requires...

The fine line between regulation and personal opinion is thin and shrinking daily, but when I claimed it was dependent upon law, I was speaking from fact. It depends upon the laws of the land and whether the college is private or otherwise. Harvard, regardless of what they claim, is not a private school. It is a mostly private institution, but Harvard does take from the public trust. This requires them to abide by certain laws. The same holds true for small private liberal arts colleges of a very rigorous conservative evangelical bent. If they take Federal monies of any kind (such as financial aid), then they must abide by certain social norms and standards. Those are set through law and community. As such, if you discriminate against someone based upon what they watch in a coffee shop (as I said, pornography or committing a crime is different than watching a TV show off campus that is rated age appropriate for a 13 year old Middle Schooler), you risk yourself being liable for certain suits.

Discrimination is a very dangerous offense, and one that is prohibited in local principalities, state, and the federal circuit.
  • BrianD3 cmvande... 2012/05/04 11:02:47
    BrianD3
    what was your point about church and state? do you not get that this is a private institution?

what a student does on his own time is not his business if he chooses to attend a religious school that is very restrictive. He made the choise, none of this was forced upon him.
  • cmvande... BrianD3 2012/05/07 08:50:53
    cmvanderwallbrown
    You miss my point.

The term 'private' in most cases when describing colleges and universities is meaningless in the United States. They are all "more or less" public institutions to some extent.

If they utilize/accept Federal financial aid dollars, or any other federal funding, they are required to fulfill certain obligations. There are laws that govern what actions are permissible for institutions of higher learning to take. The court's rulings also falls into this area.

For example, it is not permissible for a university or college (whether public or private) to deny admission of a student based upon any of the protected rights or liberties. You cannot reject a Muslim for attending. You can require said student attend Christian seminary classes as necessary to graduate. Require them to read certain material. You can prevent them from using the school network for things such as "porn".

If a student is attending the university, codes of ethics/conduct can exist pertaining to illegal activities--prostitution/soli... a prostitute, drugs, drunken disorderly behavior, or any other action that is prohibited by law. I believe there may even be some restrictions on where a student may live, etc. But, it is not permitted for universities (generally) to regulate what a student does on thei...

You miss my point.

If a student is attending the university, codes of ethics/conduct can exist pertaining to illegal activities--prostitution/soli... a prostitute, drugs, drunken disorderly behavior, or any other action that is prohibited by law. I believe there may even be some restrictions on where a student may live, etc. But, it is not permitted for universities (generally) to regulate what a student does on their own time. For example, what someone does in a coffee shop.

Given the shear obliqueness of the action--watching Glee in a coffee shop--I find it very doubtful a court would uphold the college's right to toss the student. It just doesn't fall under reasonable cause of action. Was the student reasonably warned, etc. for such actions, or was the student simply expelled?

Expelling a student for such an action would leave a permanent stain on a student's record. In other words, they would receive damage by the action. Unlawful damages result in liability and possibly the remedies of the court through a civil tort. The court could issue damages for libel or for other actions resulting from the expulsion--including fees, etc.--for the supposedly malicious action by the student.

It would be up to a court to decide whether "Glee" in it of itself is malicious. I find it hard to believe. Moreover, given the information we are presented with, limited knowledge can be obtained as to the standards. Specific standards are necessary in order to prevent liability.

A university/college cannot expel a student (at least not in this day and age) for not being a Christian. They will just ask you to find another school to attend and do things like return your checks, halt you from registering, etc. They cannot, however, expel you without a clearly cited reason that appears clear and reasonable to the court. Proper notice must be given, along with adequate warning.

If none was given, no reasonable intent or ruling as to what is determined "profane" would likely exist and therefore, the court would side with the plaintiff due to the damages caused by the university/college. It is on the rule makers side to be sure everything is clear, not the student's. If they have to psychically figure things out or ask regarding every DVD/film/tv show they are to watch, it would seem likely the "policies" are flawed.

I made note that this civil suit could cost said college a great deal of money.

For this reason, I cannot think of a college which is this blatant in its stupidity.
  • BrianD3 cmvande... 2012/05/07 11:24:25
    BrianD3
    the financial aid dollars are spent by the students not the government.

again, you make the mistake of assuming that the whole event wasa predicated upon watching Glee. Even the articles author admits it was a sirty trick to use that in the title. The student had a history of not meeting the schools guidlines about many things such as curfew. He had been warned about his failure to comply several times.
  • DebraJMSmith 2012/05/01 05:11:16 (edited)
    Fair
    DebraJMSmith
    +4
    Those were the rules. --It is a private college. They can have such rules.
  • Pm 2012/05/01 05:01:26
    Fair
    Pm
    +4
    Why dont you libs find out the rules of the school before you spew this non sense?
  • Beat Ma... Pm 2012/05/01 06:03:27
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    Not a lib, but these rules are nonsense. You try going to a place as an adult where your personal life is micromanaged like that.
  • Pm Beat Ma... 2012/05/01 06:33:06
    Pm
    +2
    Evenyone should read the rules before they commit themselves to a school, if you dont read the rules, it's only your fault. IF these rules dont suit you, then dont go to that school...ITs very simple. There was a reason why I decided not to go to a religious shcool, also why I wanted to attend a school clsoe enough so i wouldnt have to live in a dorm.
  • BrianD3 Pm 2012/05/01 11:51:49
    BrianD3
    +2
    totally the kids fault
  • cmvande... Pm 2012/05/07 08:54:21
    cmvanderwallbrown
    And what happens if the rules are written vaguely? We have a court system for a reason. The responsibility for clearly articulating rules is on the part of the institution. If they cannot make it apparent to the court what constitutes inappropriate behavior (given the court uses normal moral standards as its basis--porn is obseen, while Glee would hardly be considered that. Likely, the court would laugh the university/college out for their petulance.
  • Pm cmvande... 2012/05/07 21:25:03
    Pm
    I'm not dealing with hypotheticals here. Do you know that these rules were written vaguely? Post the rules. Then we can have a discussion. If not stop acting like a lib.
  • SK-pro ... Beat Ma... 2012/05/01 22:54:54
    SK-pro impeachment
    obviously he hasn't reached adulthood yet. Probably the very reason he was their to instill some discipline in his life. I know many much older adults that act like children so 23 doesn't necessarily make one an adult.
  • BrianD3 Pm 2012/05/01 11:51:32
    BrianD3
    +2
    libs like getting themselves in such situations and bitching, it is part of their plan to destroy all groups who they do not agree with.
  • Pm BrianD3 2012/05/01 18:06:14
    Pm
    +1
    Its what they do best, blame something else. No personal responsibility.
  • SK-pro ... BrianD3 2012/05/01 22:56:20
    SK-pro impeachment
    +1
    A page ripped out of islam. create a disturbance than cry persecution.
  • BrianD3 SK-pro ... 2012/05/02 11:51:33
    BrianD3
    +1
    sounds about right
  • queenalyss 2012/05/01 04:54:51
    Fair
    queenalyss
    +2
    WTF i meant FOUL
  • CREW grand 2012/05/01 04:50:12
    Foul
    CREW grand
    +3
    But it is a Christian university, and such places enjoy having total 24-hour-a-day mind control over their students.
    They want to make absolutely certain the brainwashing takes hold.

Don
  • Beat Ma... CREW grand 2012/05/01 06:04:40
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +3
    Which is why as a Christian, I chose not to attend a Christian university. My personal life is between me and Jesus, as God is the only judge who I care about in this life. I went to school to be educated, not controlled.
  • Dark Angel AKA Hippiegirl 2012/05/01 04:40:05
    Foul
    Dark Angel AKA Hippiegirl
    +2
    I thought this was a free country? telling an 18+ year old student what to watch on TV is absurd
  • Cellar Door 2012/05/01 04:38:57
    Foul
    Cellar Door
    +2
    Well it seems like a stupid reason to be expelled
    but if people see that those are the rules that are to be followed at the school, I wouldn't want to go.. hah. o_o'
    Fair
    +5
    Please ..
    He was aware of the conduct code when he signed up for classes and went through the previous 3 years ...
    He knew the times that were curfew ..
    He knew the student code/rules ..
    This is FAIR ..

(after all .. being an ADULT .. means taking RESPONSIBILITY for one's choices in life. CHOOSE to ignore those codes of conduct .. take the consequences .. )
  • Beat Ma... sglmom 2012/05/01 06:10:11
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    While I agree with understanding the rules before signing up... try this:

As an adult, go pay tens of thousands of dollars of your own money to have yourself micromanaged. Ultimately, a student is a consumer of a product, and if you treat your customers like children who have no control over yourselves, you can expect garbage like this.

I grew up in Christian circles so I had friends who went to schools with similar rules. There is a culture of spying and snitching on these campuses. One of my roommates attended one of these schools - he had to sign special waver to live off campus in a condo that he owned. We had a lot of mutual friends, but because of this culture of snitching, I had to actually had to be careful who I invited to the house, an what I did when guests were over, because there was a chance that one of his snitch classmates might catch me popping a beer open or watching "The Sopranos" after work. Yes, it was that ridiculous, and I had to move out because I couldn't take it anymore.

Rules are rules, but most of these are extrabiblical, and they tend to harm the social lives of the students.
  • sglmom Beat Ma... 2012/05/01 06:18:39
    +3
    "Social Lives" ????
    When I was working on my College Degrees ..
    I was paying my own way through .. from my earnings ..
    There was no question that study was important .. as well as continue to stay employed ..
    College .. is NOT for 'social scene' .. it is to prepare you for your future ..
  • Padding... sglmom 2012/05/01 09:31:54
  • sglmom Padding... 2012/05/01 15:34:35
    Preparation for the future does include being RESPONSIBLE indeed ..
    With great opportunity .. comes choices ..
    Be responsible .. acknowledge/honor the school's rules (that you signed up for)
    or .. make the wrong choice .. dishonor .. and take the CONSEQUENCES like an Adult should ..
    There's nothing wrong with the school listed here ..
    As someone who earned her Degrees ..
    And attended a very exclusive (highly ranked school -- yes, more than one in fact .. UGrad and Grad programs)
    I'm glad to say .. I Honored their campus and programs ..
    Earned my Degrees
    Just because a University/College has a Faith-Based program
    Does not imply it is bad in any way ..
    (and yes, one of the Colleges I earned a Degree from had as its founding .. a Seminary .. )
  • Padding... sglmom 2012/05/01 16:01:15
  • sglmom Padding... 2012/05/01 23:49:15
    Whatever your choice .. that is your choice and you know this going in ..
    You know that in the Islamic school .. what the thoughts are ..
    about women, children, infidels .. and others too ..

I am pointing out the flaw in your argument ..
    which is to NOT acknowledge this one is an ADULT

and as an ADULT .. take responsibility for your choices ..
    IF you make a choice that is going against what you've signed up for ..
    Then the Consequences come ..

(seems to me .. that there's too many who play at being ADULTS .. but are unwilling to BE ADULTS in every sense of the word (they want the actions .. but no responsibility .. and especially no consequences for their choices too ..
  • Padding... sglmom 2012/05/02 13:02:38
  • sglmom Padding... 2012/05/03 00:37:23
    Just lost all credibility ..
    with the insults included ..

Bottom line -- take RESPONSIBILITY for your Choices in life ..
    THAT is what is called being an ADULT ..
  • Padding... sglmom 2012/05/03 09:27:20
  • sglmom Padding... 2012/05/03 09:49:00
    Oh, dearie me ..
    Once again .. all is lost when one posts the way this reply is

seems as if the Assumptions that one leaped to ..
    Don't acknowledge this basic FACT ..

when an ADULT ..
    Take responsibility for your choices in life ..
    IF you choose differently .. wrongly ..
    take the CONSEQUENCES of that choice ..
  • Padding... sglmom 2012/05/03 11:50:54
  • sglmom Padding... 2012/05/03 22:39:21
    Oh, dearie me ..
    Again .. sigh ..
    The choices each makes .. is their own as adults ..

I've fought the long fight .. my body has paid that price ..
    (and so have others in my family paid that price .. some friends never came back to their families either)
    I know well what was seen .. in regards to the 'veneer' .. the horrendous levels of depravity under the guise (veneer) of /faith/ .. endemic predation .. systemized, codified, culturally accepted too ..

Once again .. goodness ..
    PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is the key here ..

2014/10/31 19:28:04