Student Kicked Out of College After Watching 'Glee': Fair or Foul?

Chris Peterman, a 23-year-old senior at Bob Jones University in South Carolina, was reportedly kicked out of school for watching an episode of "Glee." And he wasn't watching it in class, in his dorm, or anywhere on campus. He was watching it on his laptop at Starbucks. According to Jezebel, he had accumulated a handful of write-ups for 1) trying to start a group "aimed at ending sexual abuse," 2) showing up late to his dorm and 3) not shaving. The school says "Glee" was not the reason they expelled him, but Peterson says it was the last straw.

Bob Jones students are not permitted to watch television on campus, and while off campus there are still guidelines they must abide by. The handbook reads, "Students are to avoid any types of entertainment that could be considered immodest or that contain profanity, scatological realism, sexual perversion, erotic realism, lurid violence, occultism and false philosophical or religious assumptions." Do you think it was fair for the school to kick Peterson out?

• mm61675 2012/05/01 01:16:01
    Fair
    mm61675
    +18
    if that's the rules...............who the f would ever go to this college?!?! sounds like a prison

• Brian Tristan MacQuillan 2012/05/01 07:17:26
    Fair
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +5
    Chris Peterman, a 23-year-old senior who attended Bob Jones University in South Carolina, knew better. He was a senior after all, and can hardly claim ignorance.
    He chose to attend the university, nobody forced him.
    And he chose to watch Glee, again nobody forced him.

Bob Jones University
  • BrianD3 Brian T... 2012/05/01 11:44:08
    BrianD3
    +1
    he accepted the rules of that school, it is only he who is to blame
  • Brian T... BrianD3 2012/05/01 16:43:23
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +1
    Exactly. And if he was months away from graduating, then he is a grade a blockhead.

I know of a college where you can not walk on the grass. There are colleges and universities in the United States that have rules, and that may come as a shock to our more progressive SodaHeads, as they think college is where there are no rules, but the vast majority of the post secondary educational institutions that have rules are quite nice places, and safe too.
  • BrianD3 Brian T... 2012/05/01 16:45:01
    BrianD3
    +1
    yep, it isnt all toga parties and beer bongs..... some people are more serious about their persuits and choose a more serious school/ environment to studay
  • Brian T... BrianD3 2012/05/01 17:17:32
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +1
    Truly.
    Maybe have some marketable skills besides doing a keg stand.
  • handimom 2012/05/01 07:16:34
    Fair
    handimom
    +3
    I would have checked foul until I saw the school name. Ultra conservative, uber-strict, christian college; follow their rules (if that is your choice) or go to a regular college.
  • handimom handimom 2012/05/01 07:31:20
    handimom
    +2
    I homeschooled my children and I wouldn't buy BJU curriculum, because I don't agree with some of their ideals. There is Christian then there is fanatic; I think they have tried to clean up their image since the sexism/racism scandals.
  • BrianD3 handimom 2012/05/01 11:44:29
    BrianD3
    well said
  • Kibelle 2012/05/01 07:10:17
    Foul
    Kibelle
    I know those are rules that Chris Peterman should have known already before he made complaint about being kicked out. He could have chosen another school where these rules don't exist. It's his fault and he should own up to it.

Still, I don't have to agree with all the rules in the world so I still vote 'foul' on this one.
  • LeAnn 2012/05/01 06:48:28
    Fair
    LeAnn
    +3
    I REALLY hate to put "fair" on this because I don't think anyone should be kicked out of a college for watching any television show, but sadly, those are the college rules. He knew that when he enrolled, therefore, he should have never enrolled at that ridiculous college. With those kind of rules, you basically can't even watch most commercials!
  • TheTruth1313 2012/05/01 06:31:32
    Fair
    TheTruth1313
    +1
    I don't really think it's fair, I just really hate that stupid show.
  • BrianD3 TheTrut... 2012/05/01 11:44:56
    BrianD3
    +1
    as do most right thinking people
  • TheTrut... BrianD3 2012/05/02 07:41:52
    TheTruth1313
    +1
    True that
  • capoeirakid 2012/05/01 06:26:05
    Foul
    capoeirakid
    You can't force people to follow your religious views. But it's for the better. If someone hates you because you want to stop sexual abuse, you don't like to shave, you are sometimes tardy, and you like "Glee", they don't deserve to have you in their life, and you shouldn't force yourself to be in theirs if you don't like them. I wish this school well, but some of their policies need to change.
  • BrianD3 capoeir... 2012/05/01 11:45:40 (edited)
    BrianD3
    he made the choice to attend that school and be under those restrictions, he failed. Totally his fault
  • capoeir... BrianD3 2012/05/04 00:37:49
    capoeirakid
    Well, he did choose to go there,but maybe he tried his best to follow their rules and just couldn't do it. besides, this is going to be on his resume forever. he could finish at another school, but a lot of schools wouldn't take him. i don't think this school lets the punishment fit the crime.
  • Commenting_one 2012/05/01 06:23:08
    Foul
    Commenting_one
    This sounds ridiculous, overall. However, if a person is aware of "particular rules" from the beginning and doesn't think they can handle them, they shouldn't be there.
  • BrianD3 Comment... 2012/05/01 11:46:06
    BrianD3
    I agree, he should have not been there
  • Uranos7 2012/05/01 06:22:14
    Foul
    Uranos7
    My brother went to a Pentecostal College and while they were very strict about what you could do on campus, even they did not try to control what a student did off campus.
    (unless the student did something truly embarrassing)
  • Tea in the Harbor 2012/05/01 06:18:21
    Fair
    Tea in the Harbor
    +2
    I think everyone ought to be kicked out of Bob Jones University, and they should use the land to raise goats instead of religious bigots.

Goats help mankind more.
  • BrianD3 Tea in ... 2012/05/01 11:46:45
    BrianD3
    gee, I thought this was a land of religious freedom? Nice to see the left is so tolerant
  • Tea in ... BrianD3 2012/05/01 13:58:39
    Tea in the Harbor
    They're free to believe anything they want, and so am I. Bob Jones U teaches fundamentalism which, as the Catholic Bishops Council, the Catholic nuns, and the Priests at Georgetown have been trying to point out, has nothing to do with Christianity.

Fundamentalism is a cult that is shared by Muslims and Christians, although it's followers don't have the integrity to admit it. They believe they should be allowed to murder people to force their religious beliefs based on the Old Testament of the Bible, into law to oppress other people around the world.

Sane people disagree.
  • BrianD3 Tea in ... 2012/05/01 14:26:21
    BrianD3
    +1
    your definition of sane people disagree, but we are talking about your definiton which is as skewed as your ideology
  • Soms Cougli 2012/05/01 06:09:23
    Foul
    Soms Cougli
    What the twat? Oh yeah, you guys are REALLY demonstrating "free country!"
  • BrianD3 Soms Co... 2012/05/01 11:47:43
    BrianD3
    +1
    he was free, he freely chose to attend such a restrictive school and he chose to not comply with the rules and he had to deal with the consequences of his choice, that is the foundation of freedom.
  • Soms Co... BrianD3 2012/05/02 14:14:55
    Soms Cougli
    As far as you know, yes he did choose it, but I'm sure he didn't choose to have his free will taken from him to the extent of being unable to watch a damn TV show. Free country my arse. No drinking on or off campus? Sure. No porn? Fair as. But no entertainment that the school deems "immodest"? What's immodest about Glee? Don't Christians sing? Or teach their children about overcoming obstacles and perseverance through non-violent means? Or is it all just brainwashing, and no education of worth at all? I'd be thankful to have been expelled from such an unjustly restrictive school.
  • BrianD3 Soms Co... 2012/05/02 14:43:31
    BrianD3
    that was in the handbook and was a condition for attending that university. The school is a private school and can have whatever rules it deems apropriate for their mission. The kid chose poorly by chosing to attend that school
  • Soms Co... BrianD3 2012/05/04 14:37:22
    Soms Cougli
    "Students will not watch Glee" was not in the handbook. If you read the article, it states the handbook reads, "Students are to avoid any types of entertainment that could be considered immodest or that contain profanity, scatological realism, sexual perversion, erotic realism, lurid violence, occultism and false philosophical or religious assumptions."
    They wouldn't know without having watched it themselves, and there is nothing of the sort in the show (though I suppose lesbians are "perverted", according to them.)
    If they wished to ban Glee, they should have a written list for every student so they are aware of what they can and can't watch.
  • BrianD3 Soms Co... 2012/05/04 14:51:31
    BrianD3
    I read the handbook. The show, Glee was not the type of program that they wished their students to watch.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/05/01 06:00:19 (edited)
    Foul
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +4
    I understand that it's a private school and thus they can make up whatever crazy rules they want, but I never understood this:

Why would an adult pay money to go to a place where their personal lives are under control 24/7? I am a Christian and I am adamantly opposed to such legalism (found nowhere in the Bible).

Besides, I hate shaving.
  • Estick 2012/05/01 05:49:55
    Fair
    Estick
    Sure it's fair. And it's fair that their school be viewed as a nutty religious school.
  • BrianD3 Estick 2012/05/01 11:48:07
    BrianD3
    liberal tolerance in action!
  • Estick BrianD3 2012/05/01 19:59:24
    Estick
    I suppose you want to be all PC and say that religion should be immune from criticism.
  • BrianD3 Estick 2012/05/01 20:07:41
    BrianD3
    I suppose I want to say that this is AMERICA, the country was established with religious freedoom as the foundation. This private school has every right to conduct it's business the way it does without liberals throwing rocks at it.
  • Estick BrianD3 2012/05/03 02:35:52
    Estick
    40% of conservatives who answered this question said it was foul. Besides I said it was fair for them to kick him out. You want to take it one further and say it is unfair to criticize them.

I'm a big proponent for freedom of religion but that doesn't mean religion should be free from criticism.

fair kick unfair criticize proponent freedom religion religion free criticism
  • J-DUB 2012/05/01 05:20:24
  • BrianD3 J-DUB 2012/05/01 11:48:30
    BrianD3
    not unlike willian Ayers I take it?
  • J-DUB BrianD3 2012/05/02 04:41:10
    J-DUB
    And what does this have to do with the glee expulsion story?
  • BrianD3 J-DUB 2012/05/02 11:51:09
  • J-DUB BrianD3 2012/05/02 18:03:44
    J-DUB
    William ayers committed his crimes a long time ago and I am sure he is a completely different person. There is no need to continue to label him for something that happened so long ago. People do change.

2014/07/23 18:12:45