Straight People: Why do you get offended when gay people call you a bigot?

momokidian1992 2013/01/14 17:34:43
If you don't support gay marriage and gay adoption, you are a bigot.

• Dave Ryan 2013/01/21 21:22:54 (edited)
    It hurts my feelings.
    Dave Ryan
    +3
    It is "bigoted" of gays to harass and insult people who don't believe what they believe.

For a conservative Christian, I think I'm remarkably tolerant. I have many gay friends, and they know what I believe, but for the most part i just avoid certain subjects with them unless raised.

Marriage for at least 6,000 years has been between a man and a woman. Every major culture on earth in that time, whether Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or whatever, sees marriage as between a man and a woman. If two men or two women want to have a homosexual relationship and live together, I won't say I endorse it, but that is your right in our free society. I accept gay civil union in a secular non-religious framework that does not twist the Judao-Christian definition of marriage, and even respect your right to call it "gay marriage". But it is intolerant of YOU to not accept what others respectfully believe, that they are incapable by their religious teachings, empirical experience and beliefs of NOT believing.

I actually even attended a gay wedding a few years ago, and I think it was understood by them that I don't endorse homosexuality, but I care about them as my friends and attended to be part of their celebration and wish them well.

People of religious faith who don't share...

People of religious faith who don't share your beliefs are not "bigots". They are people of faith who see THE ACT of homosexuality as immoral and still like and care about THE PEOPLE who do it.

And we don't single you out as uniquely immoral.

Scripture (specifically ROMANS chapter 3, verse 22) says "all have sinned, all fall short", so we are not singling gays out as uniquely immoral in their actions.
    Christian, athiest, gay, muslim, whatever, are all flawed human beings who find redemption NOT through personal purity, but through faith in the God who loves us, and who provides redemption through faith in him, and understanding his Biblical teachings.

(And if you think the Bible is just made-up fairy tales, I recommend you pick up HE WALKED AMONG US: EVIDENCE FOR THE HISTORICAL JESUS, by Josh McDowell and Bill Wilson, and prepare to be awed at the historical evidence for the Bible's accuracy)

And I would argue that the United States that is overwhemingly "bigoted" Christians, is also the most free place on earth for gays, that most would gladly leave the nations they're in to immigrate here to, where they can live with freedom and without violence, either here or some other Western nation.

That is equally true for Muslims in the U.S., who have a greater freedom to practice whatever sect of islam they believe than anywhere in the muslim world, without fear.

It hurts my feelings.
    Dave Ryan
    +3

• Matthew... Dave Ryan 2013/05/02 16:18:42
    Matthew Maddox
    +4
    *applause*...AMAZING POST
  • millermedia 2013/01/18 13:39:32
    It hurts my feelings.
    millermedia
    +1
    The rebellion against God and decent morality saddens me deeply and my concern for the future of our country and of children is alarming.
  • Dave Ryan millerm... 2013/01/21 21:27:47
    Dave Ryan
    +2
    I agree, that the chipping away at Biblical Christianity, and the resultant corruption of our culture, is endangering the nation.

Our founders believed that the teaching of the Bible and Christian principles was essential to a healthy democracy, and that abandonment of biblical principles would lead to its failure and destruction. We are on the precipice of that. And we see budding signs of that growing anarchy every week.
  • Dave Ryan Dave Ryan 2013/01/21 21:35:10
    Dave Ryan
    +2
    "All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery, and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible"
    --Noah Webster

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ."
    --Patrick Henry
  • Superman 2013/01/14 21:00:55
    It hurts my feelings.
    Superman
    I support gay marriage and adoption but this isn't the method, name calling, to get things done. Its getting down in the muck rather than being the better person.

Further, it makes assumptions rather than accepts peoples differing opinions and motivations.
  • momokid... Superman 2013/01/14 21:01:32
    momokidian1992
    Thanks for the support!
  • convex 2013/01/14 17:42:59
    I support gay marriage and gay adoption!
    convex
    +1
    What if gay people don't support certain religious views, does that make them religious bigots?
  • momokid... convex 2013/01/14 17:43:57
    momokidian1992
    Do gay people try to make it illegal for you to practice your religion? No.

Why can't you return the favor and stop banning gay couples from getting married and from adopting kids?
  • convex momokid... 2013/01/14 17:49:28
    convex
    +1
    I'm not religious and don't care what consenting adults do as long as it doesn't affect me.

The question is still valid. Is one a religious bigot if you disallow them from practicing their faith? (Teaching that homosexuality is a sin for instance, or circumcision, polygamy, etc).
  • THE One... momokid... 2013/01/14 17:54:24
  • momokid... THE One... 2013/01/14 17:54:55
    momokidian1992
    Do they? How so? How does legalizing gay marriage have anything to do with you?
  • THE One... momokid... 2013/01/14 18:01:21
  • momokid... THE One... 2013/01/14 18:05:58
    momokidian1992
    Why don't you accept it?
  • THE One... momokid... 2013/01/14 22:37:37
  • momokid... THE One... 2013/01/14 22:42:06
    momokidian1992
    Does that mean it has to be illegal for me to do it?
  • THE One... momokid... 2013/01/14 22:47:15
  • momokid... THE One... 2013/01/14 22:48:30
    momokidian1992
    Why should it be illegal for me to get married to the person I love because you don't like it?
  • THE One... momokid... 2013/01/14 22:55:56
  • momokid... THE One... 2013/01/14 22:58:34
    momokidian1992
    How does legalizing marriage force you to change your personal beliefs?

I think smoking cigarettes is wrong. But I wouldn't make it illegal for others to smoke cigarettes. And I can still have my personal belief, but I won't force others to live by it.

Why can't you return the favor?
  • THE One... momokid... 2013/01/14 23:04:02
  • momokid... THE One... 2013/01/14 23:05:15
    momokidian1992
    Of course I do.

I'm not compromising my principles. I don't like smoking, so I won't do it. You on the other hand, want to stop everyone from doing so, becuase you don't like it.

It doesn't work like that.
  • THE One... momokid... 2013/01/14 23:09:37
  • momokid... THE One... 2013/01/14 23:10:39
    momokidian1992
    I don't know if you know how to read or not, but I said that I DO support marriage for siblings.
  • THE One... momokid... 2013/01/14 23:24:23
  • momokid... THE One... 2013/01/14 23:24:53
    momokidian1992
    What?
  • Dave Ryan momokid... 2013/01/21 21:40:20 (edited)
    Dave Ryan
    +2
    momokid said: "Do gay people try to make it illegal for you to practice your religion? No."

Actually, gays do.

They try to ban the scriptural reading of what God says on the subject of homosexuality and other issues, as "hate speech" punishable by fines and imprisonment.
    http://www.ignatiusinsight.co...

Is that "tolerance" and "free speech" ?

Gays, like other liberals, only believe in THEIR free speech, and attempt to intimidate, suppress, harass and silence any who disagree with them. I believe in an open dialogue, where both sides of the issue are fully heard. But your camp seems a lot more prone to demagoguery and name-calling, rather than an honest debate of the true issues.
    http://www.discoverthenetwork...
  • Rochelle Dave Ryan 2014/02/11 16:14:51
    Rochelle
    +3
    Its nice to see someone other than I support this and feels the way I do. If I say anything like this to my husband or friends they dont want to hear it. They all think Im a bigot and want to change how I feel. I get the gays throwing their lifestyle in my face. The more I think about it the more it scares me. This is just one more thing showing me that the world is gone to crap. What I think and feel doenst matter. I am a woman married to a man for twelve years now. Being married doenst mean what it use to any more.

2014/10/24 09:41:32