Stossel: I Like Gary Johnson

Striker 2012/09/22 02:55:47
John Stossel at TownHall 19 Sep 2012

All political candidates call themselves freedom-lovers, but they are
not. Neither major party really opposes government control of the
economy or of our personal lives. I'm a libertarian because I see the
false choice offered by political left and right: Democrats talk about
personal liberty; Republicans talk about economic freedom. But what they
do once in power belies their words.

I say we're best off if government just leaves us alone to our peaceful cooperation with whomever we please. Let politicians advocate moral behavior. Let them give to charities. But leave government -- which is physical force -- out of it.

That's
why I like Gary Johnson, the former Republican governor of New Mexico.
He's the Libertarian Party candidate for president. As governor, Johnson
vetoed 750 bills, and yet he got re-elected in that blue state.

I asked Johnson what it means to be a libertarian.

"Fiscally
responsible, socially accepting ... more liberal than Obama on several
issues, more conservative than Romney on several issues."

Johnson proposes to cut federal spending by more than 43 percent:

"Balance the federal budget now. I think that unless we do that, we're going to find ourselves in a monetary collapse."

To
do that, he'd go where the money is. He'd cut the big programs that
will soon bankrupt us. That includes Medicare. Conventional wisdom says
what he's proposing is cruel and, for a politician, suicidal.

"Look,
we've got to slash Medicare spending. If we don't, we're going to find
ourselves with no health care whatsoever. Medicaid, same thing. Military
spending, same thing."

The left claims that without social spending, people would starve in the streets!

"This
is the exact reaction that I got as governor of New Mexico, having
vetoed all that legislation. ... Kids were going to starve, all the
worst things were going to happen, and none of them did. And I got
re-elected."

Who would decide what part of Medicare to cut?

"Give
this up to the states. Fifty laboratories of innovation and best
practice ... (instead of) Washington top-down, Washington-knows-best --
that's what has us in the situation that we're in right now."

Johnson also says, "End the wars." Won't a pullout of our troops mean the terrorists win?

"We have hundreds of millions of enemies ... that, but for our military interventions, we would not
otherwise have. So let's take military spending back to 2003 spending
levels. Start out with the premise that we should provide ourselves with
a strong national defense. But 'defense' here is the operative word.
Not 'offense' and not 'nation-building.'

Of course there's more »

Read More: http://townhall.com/columnists/johnstossel/2012/09...

• Tasine 2012/09/22 03:42:28
    I'm for Gary Johnson
    Tasine
    +5
    There may never come another time when voting on one's principles could be so profoundly seminal, so vastly important. I believe Gary Johnson would be the best President, and he has no baggage, not to mention the press leaves him alone as though he is a leper. The press MUST have Obama OR Romney, and their strong preference is Obama to help wipe the egg off their faces.

One thing that has gotten us to this dismal point is people's lack of principles when voting - then whining that politicians have no principles. It just COULD be that the voting public has no principles.

If we could get Gary Johnson well enough known, his election would be the "fundamental change" that Obama promised, in reverse. He would minimize government, not shuffle things around and call it repaired. He would cut spending, not by 1/10 but by a LOT MORE THAN THAT. Any voter who cries about Medicare taking a hit, then yells about big government is a hypocrite, pure and simple. Social programs of all sorts must learn to make it on less - I don't believe Romney will do that - and I KNOW Obama won't do that. A Johnson victory would be the upset of our history, one that would make every politician have second thoughts about his own place in society.

A win is not a win if the results create no real changes. I hope everyone remembers that on election day.

• Katfish 2012/09/24 15:31:20
    I'm for Gary Johnson
    Katfish
    +2
    He needs a quick boost to get in the debates.
  • Striker Katfish 2012/09/24 15:56:57
    Striker
    +2
    There are a few here who seem to be doing things positive toward that.

I did notice some other entity sponsoring debates which has invited candidates with 1%+ and on-the-ballot. The Sponsor is unknown to me, but I'll try to hunt down the link - failed to bookmark it, darnit. If found I'll post the article.

A mystery to me is why Ron Paul didn't leap on Gary's bandwagon right after RNC.
  • Katfish Striker 2012/09/24 19:16:39
    Katfish
    +1
    I got an e-mail a few days ago pertaining to a debate, The e-mail came from (RTR) Restore the Republic. It said Gary has already agreed to participate, as well as Jill Stein and Virgil Goode.
    Yes, I would like to see Paul endorse Johnson but I think he will probably say that the Constitution and Libertarian candiates are both good.
  • Striker Katfish 2012/09/24 19:39:18 (edited)
    Striker
    +1
    It's damn sure high time he stood up for reality. I've also rejoined RTR, seems it's improved but will have to see if they're finally ready for prime-time. I spent considerable time trying to do that on my own - it's one helluva a lot of work and too much learning for my old brain to tackle LOL.
  • Jeff Katfish 2012/10/06 23:27:43
    Jeff
    +1
    I think the only reason Paul doesn't endorse him is his stand on abortion.
  • Striker Jeff 2012/10/07 05:31:09
    Striker
    +1
    Everyone has their pet issues. When there are a thousand issues, one cannot be as important as all the other 999.
  • 9th of 9 2012/09/22 09:40:05
    I'm for Gary Johnson
    9th of 9
    +4
    ... and our "Bill of Rights."
  • Tasine 2012/09/22 03:42:28
    I'm for Gary Johnson
    Tasine
    +5

• Windy Tasine 2012/09/22 21:39:02
    Windy
    +3
    It only takes winning 34% of the votes to win in a three way election and Johnson could easily get that with the former Ron Paul supporters, the independents who hate both Romney and Obama, the democrats who are angry or just disillusioned with Obama, then add in the 52% of people who want the war on marijuana to be ended and we have have a winner folks, and it's NOT a democrat nor a GOPer, ITS a LIBERTARIAN who'll obey the Constitution, imagine that, OMG!
  • Striker 2012/09/22 03:00:23
    I'm for Gary Johnson
    Striker
    +5
    We have only about 6 weeks to V-day.
    For those who've not boned up, two links below should clear their confusion:
    http://www.garyjohnson2012.co... (some good video also)
    http://www.lp.org/platform (short and sweet)
    Thank you!
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/09/22 03:00:07
    I'm for Zero2 Romney
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Of course he likes him, he's a Libertarian. I don't think it's going to give him a win.

2014/09/02 14:05:57